Melbourne Football

Round 2 Usain Bolt Derby Sat 27 Oct @ 5:30pm Away

Dylan

Imagine making Matt Simon the captain of your club...

Hopefully Jameison and Vidosic are fit to start now. Play Wales as impact off the bench. The lack of drive from Delbridge at LB was frustrating. Game two of a long season, years gone by we lose 1-0 or even 2-1.  

Edited by cityfan101
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

Wales and Berenguer that's two poor game in a row. Vidosic must now replace one of them in the next game.

Vidosic in for Wales. Berenguer did one or two good things, but his place too will be under pressure once the likes of Najjarine get back. We are missing the sort of youthful confidence to attack that Arzani gave us last season. 

Also, you'd expect Wales to be up for it and having a worldy back in Gosford. But no, he had a stinker. You're supposed to be a pain in the arse playing against your old side. Ross proved that. 

6 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

I’m probably be in the minority here but I’d start Griff and have Baccus on the bench for the next game

Daresay you are in the minority but no problem with that. Curious as to your reasons? Purely because Bratts and Griff better defensive combo V Sydney? Or something else?

IMO Baccus has pulled 2 good shifts now. Busy. Always at work much like Bratts. Dictates a lot of the play. Probably deserves to keep his position.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

I’m probably be in the minority here but I’d start Griff and have Baccus on the bench for the next game

No chance, that’s not even negotiable.

Everyone in our squad is fine, the only player who needs to leave and play in the NPL is Delbridge, he wouldn’t even start at Bentleigh Greens.

Strange game, we deserved to win it with that second half domination, we deserved to lose it because really, we hardly attacked the ball in the box, we had so many penetrations with so few players there.

Positives:

We drew when we could easily have lost

We created more than enough chances to win it

McGree has been a great signing, and happy to say that, so far, I was wrong to doubt Bacus' signing.

We looked much better with the subs on and balls not being played in by Delbridge, hopefully, this is our starting lineup next week.

Negatives:

We drew when we should have won

Still, too slow moving the ball forward. It wouldn't be an issue if our movement off the ball in the front third was good, but we look predictable and slow and lack penetration and intensity. All the weaker teams will play this way against us and allow us the ball so we need to address this.

2 points lost before a big game next week

9 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Daresay you are in the minority but no problem with that. Curious as to your reasons? Purely because Bratts and Griff better defensive combo V Sydney? Or something else?

IMO Baccus has pulled 2 good shifts now. Busy. Always at work much like Bratts. Dictates a lot of the play. Probably deserves to keep his position.

I think Baccus has been solid but I rate Griffiths, and I think he would give Brattan & Mcgree more protection for them going forward. Plus his height would be dangerous for set pieces. 

13 minutes ago, ABC123 said:

No chance, that’s not even negotiable.

Everyone in our squad is fine, the only player who needs to leave and play in the NPL is Delbridge, he wouldn’t even start at Bentleigh Greens.

Delbo isn’t a LB, he’s an ok CB. Probably on par with La Rocca. I really hope Good gets his body right and we have a CB pairing of Bart & Good. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

I think Baccus has been solid but I rate Griffiths, and I think he would give Brattan & Mcgree more protection for them going forward. Plus his height would be dangerous for set pieces. 

Delbo isn’t a LB, he’s an ok CB. Probably on par with La Rocca. I really hope Good gets his body right and we have a CB pairing of Bart & Good. 

Yeah fair enough reason. We always knew we were spoilt for choice of midfielders this season. Cant see us beating Sydney either way sadly...

29 minutes ago, haz said:

Youtube cuts out at 90' Let me know if he implodes. But doubt he would have put money on WSW.

Smart Tara, gone straight first to Archie on his thoughts ...meanwhile, Bozza’s fingers are close to exploding jeez..

Straight to ad ffs...

+ in summary, Bozza wants it to be gone immediately...

Edited by Afif Adam
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

WOW VAR is really killing our game + Chris Beath  (Sydney Derby)

The problem is not VAR as such, it's solely down to poor refereeing. A clear offside goal allowed to stand against us in the semi last season, it was obvious on the video, VAR failure in the Grand Final meant that a poor refereeing decision by the ref wasn't overturned - this would continue every game without VAR. Last week VAR wasn't consulted, the ref changed his decision to a pen when he reviewed the video footage, today's missed pen to Bruno was 'payback' for last week but not down to VAR. All VAR highlights is the poor decision making by the refs

24 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The problem is not VAR as such, it's solely down to poor refereeing. A clear offside goal allowed to stand against us in the semi last season, it was obvious on the video, VAR failure in the Grand Final meant that a poor refereeing decision by the ref wasn't overturned - this would continue every game without VAR. Last week VAR wasn't consulted, the ref changed his decision to a pen when he reviewed the video footage, today's missed pen to Bruno was 'payback' for last week but not down to VAR. All VAR highlights is the poor decision making by the refs

Agreed, but just like Wazza...id choose no VAR rather than have VAR, yes of course it’s not the VAR’s fault ...but the introduction of it is killing our game , after having VAR into our game for the whole of last season...it’s obvious that referees and linesmans are hesitant and cautious of going against their (VAR)  decisions ,       referees kinda turn handicap when they’ve being faced to make splitdecisions...they’d rather have others opinions to influence the final decision ..

on to the game itself ...Chris beath initially overturned the goal for a foul , fast forward to post match ...he stated that the goal was overturned due to an offside wsw player (that couldn’t do shit about it) ..imo these games are the worst and the most frustrating to watch cos due to the overused of VAR , the talking point of the game itself gets overshadowed by shite decisions ...waste of time 

VAR OUT 

Edited by Afif Adam
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Yeah explains why none of our officials were at Russia8C677BEF-D9B9-44F1-86E3-BBEE113833DE.jpeg.b20a3f5f8118c417f8a22bf54a714bfd.jpeg

btw this is a call for a foul not an offside, this is gonna bother me until Friday at least  

As I said in another thread. I would love to know if this "offside call" was the audio in his ear, or an excuse they made after the game

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Which goal against us in the semi was offside? I honestly don't recall either of them. Hoffman off Malik mistake and the mcgree scorpion

IMO people are being a bit uncharitable so early in the season. Two away matches to start the season, and we've got four points out of them, both times coming from behind. And we have quite a few of our back-up players away on international duty and several injuries to contend with. It could have been better, yes, but it could have been a lot worse.

IMO any issues we have are tactical - the way we play - rather than the players we have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few points I took away from this game...

.CCM are a lot more disciplined this season and made it hard for us to break them down. What they lack in flair they try to make up with resolve.

..I actually believe our at times laborious play was down to the pitch. Not sure if anyone else thought the same, but that pitch looked quite heavy. To my eye, the ball was moving slowly and quite often early it looked like the ball was getting stuck in the feet of players.

...We dominated the game and at least salvaged a draw where in similar scenarios in the past, we would've lost. 1 win and 1 draw after two away games is a good start to the season. With players to come back, things are looking good so far.

• Like 1