Melbourne Football

Newcastle Jets Vs Melbourne City. Friday 27th January, 7:50KO

kingofhearts

1 hour ago, Defibrillator said:

We do have them - he just won't play them with our structure.  Brattan could play that role, Caceras or even Brandan would play well there.  You are so spot on - no link play in midfield and we look like a shit team rolling the ball from one side of the park to the other with no effect.  It's been obvious for weeks on end this needs to be fixed - just amazed that we persist with the same rubbish.

Yeah absolutely.

Some people on here keep crapping on about how shit the fringe players are but the fact is that we are congested up front with Cahill and Bruno being in each other's way. Which wouldnt be so bad if of one them could drop in a number 10 role, but the skills just aren't there, countless of times we lost possession by playing in Cahill or Bruno who dropped in to receive the ball.

Unfortunately we need to play C+ when fit due to contractual obligations but it seems that CFG struggle to fit him in the formation. We can't bench Bruno either.

Look at Manchester with the likes of Silva and the Bruyne, they fit in those 10 roles behind your sole centre forward. I know they aren't having the best season either burn still.

If we can't go to 4-4-2 then there's no solution - can't bench your captain and can't bench Cahill.

Edited by Mr MO

45 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Valkanis is basically JVS mouth piece, or CFGs mouthpiece. Like playmaker said you can't expect to have 100% possession. You will lose the ball. 

The other thing as Craig Foster said was that Valkanis keeps talking about number of balls in the box and converting those opportunities. But like he said if you have 8 defenders in the box then you can put as many balls in the box, it will be defended more often than not. As opposed to the Jets who got the ball in the box only a few times but had only Bouzanis to beat. 

Valkanis also asked about not choosing a well performing player like Tongyik and instead playing Malik. He was asked why Malik was played out of position however Valkanis was adamant that Malik natural position is in the number 6 or central defence. Anyway the point is he dodged the question and didn't provide a good reason why Tongyik wasn't chosen. 

So we have Rose who is probably the most average player on the team starting every time. We have Colazo who would be better in left back but refuse to play him there. This in turn puts our visa player in Fernando on the bench. We have a visa keeper who is far superior on the bench. And we have the best performing player for the month in Tongyik being dropped for two games in a row directly after winning this award!!!!

It truly boggles the mind. Unforgivable decisions made over and over.  

I think you will find that Tongyik got spared to play the NYL grand final now that Chapman is gone!

Wining the NYL is also important.

Edited by Mr MO

4 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Tbh from watching this second half I don't think Tongyik is fit. Has looked absolutely spent since the break.

It is super hot there, most looked cooked there! Funny that we need penalties to score there too after dominating possession and getting caught on the counter haha.

Well congrats to the boys!!

36 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Seriously who cares about the NYL in relation to the A-League. 

I flicked over this afternoon and saw him running around and really, really, really hoped that wasn't the reason Malik was starting ahead of him.

Tongyik probably wouldn't have made that much difference (I can't see him doing better than Malik on the goals that the Jets scored), but if that's why he wasn't playing last nigh, it gives a clear indication of a club's management just really not getting it. Stacking the reserves to win a meaningless piece of silverware and because the senior side is going nowhere quick is something a loser Sunday pub league team would do.

Any A-League game is roughly 100 times more important than any youth league game, grand final or not. Please tell me this doesn't need to be explained to these clowns...

10 minutes ago, SF33 said:

I flicked over this afternoon and saw him running around and really, really, really hoped that wasn't the reason Malik was starting ahead of him.

Tongyik probably wouldn't have made that much difference (I can't see him doing better than Malik on the goals that the Jets scored), but if that's why he wasn't playing last nigh, it gives a clear indication of a club's management just really not getting it. Stacking the reserves to win a meaningless piece of silverware and because the senior side is going nowhere quick is something a loser Sunday pub league team would do.

Any A-League game is roughly 100 times more important than any youth league game, grand final or not. Please tell me this doesn't need to be explained to these clowns...

I genuinely dont believe Tongyik was saved for the youth league match 

Edited by Chris p

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Seriously who cares about the NYL in relation to the A-League. 

Strangely the NYL team won the match playing with pace, somehow they failed to reproduce the ponderous possession based game that seems so essential for our senior team. Strangely the women don't play that way either

5 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Strangely the NYL team won the match playing with pace, somehow they failed to reproduce the ponderous possession based game that seems so essential for our senior team. Strangely the women don't play that way either

In all fairness though the amount of space between Sydneys lines was ridiculous which allowed us to play the ball forward quickly. 100% the senior team need to be more direct and move the ball quicker but structurally from a defensive perspective there is no comparison.  

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

In all fairness though the amount of space between Sydneys lines was ridiculous which allowed us to play the ball forward quickly. 100% the senior team need to be more direct and move the ball quicker but structurally from a defensive perspective there is no comparison.  

True but if we played more vertical balls and moved the ball quicker then we'd also find that there'd be more space between the opponent's lines too

45 minutes ago, playmaker said:

We won the game from critical errors in defence, we conceded from critical errors in defence. No different than the A league.

Minimising errors in defence is what wins a game at this level.

I agree but we didn't play that inexorably boring slow motion possession football that appears to be compulsory for the senior mens team

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Suggest it would be brilliant if we only used Heart chants for the Brisbane match.  My missus suggests that if we want a slogan, something like "we've lost our Heart", "our heart isn't in it" or "where's the Heart" might be appropriate... 

Change the lyrics to something like:

"Oh Melbourne Heart, where have you gone.
Promise so much. But you always lose."

Yeah writing it down it doesn't seem that good but I've always sung this song to this effect or similar. Also, it's a great song..

51 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I agree but we didn't play that inexorably boring slow motion possession football that appears to be compulsory for the senior mens team

I have a question for you Bela. Have you seen your description of our game played anywhere else in th world? Seriously. Because I don't think I have seen it played on a consistent basis ever.

12 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I have a question for you Bela. Have you seen your description of our game played anywhere else in th world? Seriously. Because I don't think I have seen it played on a consistent basis ever.

I'm sure that there must be an equally unsuccessful and uninteresting team somewhere that plays the same but I haven't seen it. Most other Leagues have relegation and so would see some need to change

Edited by belaguttman