Melbourne Football

Top 6

RogerB

Hello everyone,

I have put a bet wager on Melbourne City to finish in the top 6. I realise there is never a totally safe and sure thing bet but wanted to get the opinions of the fans who have a great deal more insight and knowledge than I have.

MC have already lost the same number of games in 7 outings as they lost in total in the 22/23 season. Is it a case of the new players and new manager still needing to settle in or are the players no longer as good or have other teams improved? Any honest opinion would be very much appreciated.

I want to wish all the MC fans the best of luck for the season and I will have fun following some of the games. 

Between 1997 and 2003 I visited Melbourne numerous times and have such happy memories of a wonderful city and great people.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Roger (UK - Virginia Water just outside of London)

Edited by RogerB

2 hours ago, RogerB said:

Hello everyone,

I have put a bet wager on Melbourne City to finish in the top 6. I realise there is never a totally safe and sure thing bet but wanted to get the opinions of the fans who have a great deal more insight and knowledge than I have.

MC have already lost the same number of games in 7 outings as they lost in total in the 22/23 season. Is it a case of the new players and new manager still needing to settle in or are the players no longer as good or have other teams improved? Any honest opinion would be very much appreciated.

I want to wish all the MC fans the best of luck for the season and I will have fun following some of the games. 

Between 1997 and 2003 I visited Melbourne numerous times and have such happy memories of a wonderful city and great people.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Roger (UK - Virginia Water just outside of London)

We will make the top 6.

2 minutes ago, RogerB said:

I put the equivalent of 286 Australian dollars on at odds of 3/10.

I think it's a safe bet, with injured players coming back, the team gelling and a new coach we should get into the 6, maybe the Asian champions league could have an effect depending how deep we go, the A league has relatively small teams.

IMHO there are probably 4 teams looking a bit better than us atm, Macathur, Roar, WSW and Melb vic.

A few teams are on par, but after a bad start we have won a couple of games and hopefully that will give the boys confidence and momentum.

We will make Top 6 as we have a better list than most but not all this season. It is a case of all the things you mentioned. New players not gelling as we had something like 7 first team players and a couple of youngsters leave this season. New manager being appointed after old one seemed to lose the dressing room or just got too hard. Remaining players from last year seemingly dropped in form or injured. New players older and slower or not as good a standard as the ones who left. Our younger players don't appear as good as previous years. Some other teams improved in particular our derby neighbours Victory and also Macarthur, Wellington and Brisbane. How far we actually go in the end is dependent on improvement in all of the above and also there is the January transfer window which may/ may not be used

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Surely they pick Fornaroli for the squad! Victory will struggle without him I reckon. Well he has scored 11 of their 16 goals...

Sure, but there are other teams that we'll be playing during the Asian Cup, and this season our bench has less depth and experience than in previous seasons. It does give us the opportunity to play some of those young players, it's their big chance

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, heart1011 said:

Jmac ain't playing. He announced earlier this morning that he hasn't been selected. So you'd assume Fornarolli has taken his place.

Yeah surely Fornaroli gets the nod from the A-League strikers! So we may have Aziz picked as the only City representative in the national team...