Melbourne Football

What formation best suits Cahill Fornaroli

Jovan

Been thinking about how to play arguably our 2 most important players. 

Fornaroli must replicate last season and hopefully improve on it. And therefore must play a central strikers role. So how do you then fit in Cahill? 

We saw last season on a few occasions playing a 442 with a flat midfield and I think initially that's going to be the starting point. So then that leads to who will fill that flat 4.

Brattan Kilkenny and Brandan should be locks and that leaves the final spot.

Thoughts?

Honestly not even confident we'll have a specific formation we'll stick to this season.

I reckon there'll be a lot of positional rotating of players around the pitch in a "total football" style mess which will guarantee lots of goals scored and lots of goals conceded in typical JVS fashion. I'm not even sure we could play a back 3 at the moment if we wanted to since we don't have a third central defender capable of starting (unless it's our marquee signing) so 4 at the back seems most likely for now.

44 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

57b4e4ca13044.jpg

Cáceres for Fitz, and yea that is pretty much what we have at the moment.

Why do we even have this thread? It will be useless once Cahill suffers a soft tissue injury before Round 1 :ph34r:

Posted something similar in another thread but..

i think we'd need a 3rd more advance midfielder if we played brattan and Kilkenny together, both are natural no.6s and I don't think our wide players have enough quality to supply all the creativity for the front line. 

A diamond midfield would probably be the best bet to fit both Cahill and Bruno on the pitch but that makes all our wide players null and void and throws the squad even more out of balance...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I'm looking forward to Kilkenny and Brattan in the midfield, they will compliment each other well.

I haven't seen much of Kilkenny, but what I saw from Brattan against Floreat has me very excited.

All reports of Kilkenny have been extremely positive also.

49 minutes ago, samardzija said:

Posted something similar in another thread but..

i think we'd need a 3rd more advance midfielder if we played brattan and Kilkenny together, both are natural no.6s and I don't think our wide players have enough quality to supply all the creativity for the front line. 

A diamond midfield would probably be the best bet to fit both Cahill and Bruno on the pitch but that makes all our wide players null and void and throws the squad even more out of balance...

I tend to agree with this. With our squad as is,I don't think there's a way you can fit Cahill and Tuna into the same side that won't come at a detriment to the team. But there's no way JVS would ever start either on the bench. It's a worry.

what about the 4-2-2-2 formation that Ange used in his first season at victory?

the issue is that Brattan and Kilkenny must start and ideally we want them centrally. While I think everyone believes Fornaroli and Cahill would be a lethal front 2 pairing 

Then we can have Kamau/Brandan flying down the wings looking for the cutback for the strikers  

Edited by heart_fan10

8 hours ago, Tesla said:

JVS knew the signing of Cahill was coming for a while, so why do people assume all of a sudden we're going to change from the formation we've been playing in preseason?

It's pretty obvious to me that he will slot in as the AM in the same formation we've been playing.

Fornaroli at the top, Brandan and Kamau (or fitzgerald) on the wings, Kilkenny and Brattan in the midfield (one playing as a deep lying playmaker and the other more defensive as a ball winner, ideally Brattan should be the deep lying playmaker but since Kilkenny isn't suited to be the defensive one it will be the other way around, which corresponds to how we've been playing during preseason).

Fullbacks overlapping as always (#jvs), with the ball winning / defensive midfielder dropping back for cover.

There is no reason Cahill can't play as the AM, but obviously not as a playmaker, rather he'll be pressing, running into the box, scoring goals etc. The playmaking will come from the deep lying playmaker (again, most likely Kilkenny) and on occasion from the other midfielder (which won't be an issue if it's Brattan). Don't forget there will be service from the wings, and from the overlapping fullbacks as well. Plus Fornaroli has never been an out and out striker (despite the goals). No reason to believe that won't be enough creativity. Cahill could score a lot of goals, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in front of Fornaroli at the end of some of our plays (just how Fornaroli would drop deeper at times last season to feed the other attackers)

JVS' preference has always been for the primary playmaker to be a deep lying one, Koren being shit kind of fucked that up as it forced Mooy to be played more advanced (mooy obviously being our playmaker) rather than deeper as he was originally.

This is what Timmy has been all about and there shouldn't be fcuking about from JVS to change it. What we'll need is wing play and good crosses - not sure that's been our strong suite over the years but Kamau could do the trick here. We have the best attacking duo in the league this season - aerial threat plus Bruno's marvellous feet. However the key to our season will be a tight, disciplined defence.

• Like 1

There again lies the conundrum. We've loaded our best players in midfield and front third and have very little room in the back. Losing Wilkinson and Zullo and really yet to replace with like we are going to struggle to find the balance. 

Franjic being unavailable for an indefinite period creates a new dilemma. 

Rose and Muscat may prove to be good enough but I have my doubts. The last saving grace is this mysterious Marquee and yet to be announced visa player. 

At the end of the day we are probably slightly ahead on paper from last season with 2 crucial spots to fill.

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

There again lies the conundrum. We've loaded our best players in midfield and front third and have very little room in the back. Losing Wilkinson and Zullo and really yet to replace with like we are going to struggle to find the balance. 

Franjic being unavailable for an indefinite period creates a new dilemma. 

Rose and Muscat may prove to be good enough but I have my doubts. The last saving grace is this mysterious Marquee and yet to be announced visa player. 

At the end of the day we are probably slightly ahead on paper from last season with 2 crucial spots to fill.

Old mates on Soccer Stoppage Time had a scoop that we are indeed looking for a marquee centreback

4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Old mates on Soccer Stoppage Time had a scoop that we are indeed looking for a marquee centreback

"Looking for" is a lot different from allegedly being signed, sealed and delivered and the reason why Cahill had to be a guest player.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

"Looking for" is a lot different from allegedly being signed, sealed and delivered and the reason why Cahill had to be a guest player.

Well 'looking for' issnt what they said, those are my words. What was actually said is that this player is indeed a centre back.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1