Melbourne Football

The Run Home

CityHeart

6 minutes ago, cadete said:

They cap Flemington at 100k these days and that includes at least almost 40 percent of the crowd who cannot view the finishing post in a live race.

And aren't most of the others lying in the car park in no fit state to view anything at all?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Well as it stands they are doing a bang up job 👍

I know you know but by definition 'theirs to lose' would imply that if they win every match they will win the title. Which is bullshit because both us and roar can draw and win a game and still beat them to the title. Rudan simply irks the fuck out of me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I know you know but by definition 'theirs to lose' would imply that if they win every match they will win the title. Which is bullshit because both us and roar can draw and win a game and still beat them to the title. Rudan simply irks the fuck out of me. 

I know. I was just poking fun because they were tied with CCM.

Not applicable now unfortunately

• Like 1

Stumbling late? We'd won 4 in a row before we lost on Sunday...

IMO Perth are the best side in the competition and beating them over there is never easy regardless of form. Not to say we weren't incredibly disappointing on Sunday, but the headline is a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

6 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Stumbling late? We'd won 4 in a row before we lost on Sunday...

IMO Perth are the best side in the competition and beating them over there is never easy regardless of form. Not to say we weren't incredibly disappointing on Sunday, but the headline is a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

Not too mention that he says we were the only top six team to have lost over the round. Not difficult when all the other top six teams played the bottom teams. 

You know I think before this season we had never won any of the last four regular season games. Now we have never won any of the last two regular season games. And the only final we have won so far is against Wellington when they were in shit form.

So basically at the end of the season when the pressure is on we are shit.

• Like 1

Depressing though it all is, we are still not quite done for. If Sydney and Perth draw, we will finish 4th and Perth 5th, and we will play them in an Elimination final at AAMI. If Perth lose and Victory win we will be at home to one or other of them depending on the final goal differences - at AAMI if it's Perth and almost certainly at Docklands if it's Victory (even though it will be our home game) thanks to FFA. If Perth win then of course we have to go to Perth.

3 hours ago, Alexxxandro said:

You know I think before this season we had never won any of the last four regular season games. Now we have never won any of the last two regular season games. And the only final we have won so far is against Wellington when they were in shit form.

So basically at the end of the season when the pressure is on we are shit.

Yep, spot on. The club has finished every season with a winless steak. And sometimes the winless streaks have been longer than 4 games as well:

2015-16

2afj1oz.jpg

2014-15

dexm6h.jpg

2013-14

2ez1nd4.jpg

2012-13

2rzdpiw.jpg

2011-12

ama34.jpg

2010-11

3589dfd.jpg

Also, out of the 6 finals matches Melbourne City has played against A-League opposition, the club has lost 4 and only won 2 (at home vs Wellington in the FFA cup this season, and the away elimination final win against Wellington last season). And sadly 5 finals loses and only 2 wins looks like the likely end to this season as well.

And then there's the biggest ever non-derby crowds (more than 8,000):

August 5, 2010 - vs CCM - crowd of 11,050 - 0-1 loss

4 January 2012 - vs Adelaide - crowd of 8,272 - 1-3 loss

14 October 2012 - vs Wellington - crowd of 11,007 - 1-1 draw

24 February 2013 - vs Sydney - crowd of 13,752 - 3-1 win

19 October 2013 - vs CCM - crowd of 8,734 - 2-2 draw

8 November 2013 - vs WSW - crowd of 8,070 - 0-1 loss

15 November 2013 - vs Sydney - crowd of 8,941 - 0-2 loss

12 April 2014 - vs WSW - crowd of 10,003 - 2-3 loss

19 October 2014 - vs Newcastle - crowd of 15,717 - 1-1 draw

31 October 2014 - vs Adelaide - crowd of 13,083 - 1-2 loss

16 November 2014 - vs CCM - crowd of 9,402 - 2-2 draw

22 November 2014 - vs Sydney - crowd of 9,474 - 1-2 loss

26 December 2014 - vs Perth - crowd of 9,950 - 1-1 draw

28 March 2015 - vs Brisbane - crowd of 9,561 - 1-0 win

So over the club's first 5 years, the 14 matches where the club had a home crowd of more than 8,000, the team only won 2 games. There was an improvement this season however:

25 October 2015 - vs CCM - crowd of 8,404 - 3-1 win

2 January 2016 - vs Sydney - crowd of 10,140 - 2-2 draw

9 January 2015 - vs WSW - crowd of 9,776 - 3-2 win

25 January 2016 - vs Wellington - crowd of 10,825 - 3-1 win

5 March 2016 - vs Sydney - crowd of 8,584 - 3-0 win

28 March 2016 - vs Wellington - crowd of 9,895 - 3-0 win

8 April 2016 - vs Adelaide- crowd of 11,454 - 0-2 loss

So all up the club's had 9 home games with crowds of more than 10,000 crowds, and only won 2 of those games and didn't win the other 7 (BTW, the above evidence also shows that big name marquees have been involved in all of Melbourne City's best attended non-derby home games).

Overall it's clear that the club has a long and persistent history of choking and failing in big matches. The evidence is overwhelming, so it's clear that there's significant club issues/culture that CFG have to overhaul to improve this club and set it on the pathway to success.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Murfy1 said:

Yep, spot on. The club has finished every season with a winless steak. And sometimes the winless streaks have been longer than 4 games as well:

2015-16

2afj1oz.jpg

2014-15

dexm6h.jpg

2013-14

2ez1nd4.jpg

2012-13

2rzdpiw.jpg

2011-12

ama34.jpg

2010-11

3589dfd.jpg

Also, out of the 6 finals matches Melbourne City has played against A-League opposition, the club has lost 4 and only won 2 (at home vs Wellington in the FFA cup this season, and the away elimination final win against Wellington last season). And sadly 5 finals loses and only 2 wins looks like the likely end to this season as well.

And then there's the biggest ever non-derby crowds (more than 8,000):

August 5, 2010 - vs CCM - crowd of 11,050 - 0-1 loss

4 January 2012 - vs Adelaide - crowd of 8,272 - 1-3 loss

14 October 2012 - vs Wellington - crowd of 11,007 - 1-1 draw

24 February 2013 - vs Sydney - crowd of 13,752 - 3-1 win

19 October 2013 - vs CCM - crowd of 8,734 - 2-2 draw

8 November 2013 - vs WSW - crowd of 8,070 - 0-1 loss

15 November 2013 - vs Sydney - crowd of 8,941 - 0-2 loss

12 April 2014 - vs WSW - crowd of 10,003 - 2-3 loss

19 October 2014 - vs Newcastle - crowd of 15,717 - 1-1 draw

31 October 2014 - vs Adelaide - crowd of 13,083 - 1-2 loss

16 November 2014 - vs CCM - crowd of 9,402 - 2-2 draw

22 November 2014 - vs Sydney - crowd of 9,474 - 1-2 loss

26 December 2014 - vs Perth - crowd of 9,950 - 1-1 draw

28 March 2015 - vs Brisbane - crowd of 9,561 - 1-0 win

So over the club's first 5 years, the 14 matches where the club had a home crowd of more than 8,000, the team only won 2 games. There was been an improvement this season however:

25 October 2015 - vs CCM - crowd of 8,404 - 3-1 win

2 January 2016 - vs Sydney - crowd of 10,140 - 2-2 draw

9 January 2015 - vs WSW - crowd of 9,776 - 3-2 win

25 January 2016 - vs Wellington - crowd of 10,825 - 3-1 win

5 March 2016 - vs Sydney - crowd of 8,584 - 3-0 win

28 March 2016 - vs Wellington - crowd of 9,895 - 3-0 win

8 April 2016 - vs Adelaide- crowd of 11,454 - 0-2 loss

So all up the club's had 9 home games with crowds of more than 10,000 crowds, and only won 2 of those games and didn't win the other 7 (BTW, the above evidence also shows that big name marquees have been involved in all of Melbourne City's best attended non-derby home games).

Overall it's clear that the club has a long and persistent history of choking and failing in big matches. The evidence is overwhelming, so it's clear that there's significant club issues/culture that CFG have to overhaul to improve this club and set it on the pathway to success.

Oh my god that is depressing to read.  

I'd say my default approach to things is generally optimistic. Hope that the people and players in place can do well and overcome problems.

However if there's big or structural problems, as that evidence clearly suggests, then I believe the problems must be acknowledged with complete and unforgiving honesty. Only once the problems are properly diagnosed can they be overcome.

So I'd say CFG now have licence to make some big moves to overcome Melbourne City's big problems. So the next time Melbourne City plays in front of a big crowd at home for silverware, the club will succeed and not fail.

Edited by Murfy1

1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

Murph why not put that post on City Voice and ask if they want to reconsider asking us for automatic season ticket renewals?

To be honest I think I just put into words and numbers what everybody knows in their gut: that this club isn't made of the right stuff, and because of the essence of this club it will continue to underachieve and disappoint.

And only when the people in charge make some big decisions and really change things (e.g. a new coach, and maybe some new football staff and key players) will this club have a new enough essence to win regularly and win silverware. Many A-Leagues clubs have overhauled their fundamentals (Brisbane did it when they hired Postecoglou, and Adelaide did it when they hired Gombau), so I think it's just a matter of time before Melbourne City is set on the right path as well.

As for supporters, I'm pretty sure everyone knows what's up. And until CFG makes some big moves, current supporters and potential supporters won't get too hopeful about this club's prospects.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Murph why not put that post on City Voice and ask if they want to reconsider asking us for automatic season ticket renewals?

Murf, I don't think you have to put the post itself on "City Voice", but it would be completely justifiable to refer to it in the threads about memberships, "what does Melbourne City mean to you?", "Your club, your say", etc.  "City Voice" is about the "fan experience" - well, I don't know what's more relevant to "fan experience" than the undeniable fact that the club is a "choker." It's plain for all to see.

Kind of wish I could watch the Brisbane game tonight. I'm a masochist I guess. Watching Brisbane win and JA jumping in the air for joy. I honestly thought he was completely clueless and would never coach a successful team. Maybe he got lucky with a well drilled team and an assistant coach that's the main brains but whatever the case he must now be feeling like king of the world (well a bit nervous about tonight I guess)...