Melbourne Football

Wade Dekker

strider

Fuck yeah!

Melbourne City FC can announce it has elevated Foxtel National Youth League (NYL) striker Wade Dekker to a senior contract ahead of the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 season.

Dekker, 21, signs for the Club as a senior player on a one-year deal on the eve of Melbourne City FC’s opening Westfield FFA Cup clash against Edgeworth Eagles.

Dekker is expected to feature for John van’t Schip’s side against the Eagles in the Round of 32, after impressing for the Club’s youth teams over the past three seasons, since joining the Club from Northcote City.

Dekker’s development through the Club’s youth ranks was marked by his performances last season, with the striker claiming the NYL’s Golden Boot award as the competition’s top goal scorer, with 10 goals during the championship-winning campaign.

In his third season with the Club, Dekker scored 9 goals in 16 appearances during the Club’s inaugural National Premier Leagues season.

An industrious striker with an eye for goal, Dekker has already been provided the opportunity to impress the first team Head Coach John van’t Schip.

Dekker excelled having taken his place in the starting line-up during the Club’s recent friendly against Manchester City FC, a match which involved him going toe-to-toe with Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany.

van’t Schip said Dekker was deserving of his senior contract.

“The Club’s coaching staff have been monitoring Wade’s progress closely over the last 12 months and we believe he has matured into a very promising attacking player,” van’t Schip.

“A senior contract is great reward for his application, professional attitude and consistent performances.

“Last year we elevated Paulo Retre from our youth team and he re-signed again for this season, so this is a great opportunity for Wade.

“Promoting players from within our system is very important to us and with teams in the NYL and NPL, hopefully it is only the beginning.”

Dekker will wear the number 17 shirt for Melbourne City FC in 2015/16.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 6

Well that's interesting, and IMO a bit surprising at just this point in time. Up to 21 confirmed signed players, and we're allowed 23+3. Franjic mentioned in his interview "we still have two foreigners to come in", so it's a matter of knowing who's in our "+3" category in order to speculate on how many more signings we have to go and who they might be.

Is he better than Marino?

Exactly! If he's better than,  that would then bring into question Marinos future. If he's equal or lesser than Marino then it could be an error.

Good luck to the lad hope he does well when he gets his chance.  

marino, dekker, kuzi

good future front 3

These kind of posts are why you get the posts like cadete's above to five people a reality check. 

No bias, but the only one of those with any sort of realistic hope is kuzi. Odds way against the other two (doesn't mean it's impossible, just very unlikely) , even for kuzi they aren't that great but AIS grad whose shown a fair bit of talent already at a young age etc can't really be in a much better position then he is in and it will still be hard.

That's good that we finally young players coming through but 1-year deals? How can you build a young team with 1-year deals?

By replacing them with better players next year after they turn out no good, rather than being stuck with them for another season. 

These kind of posts are why you get the posts like cadete's above to five people a reality check. 

No bias, but the only one of those with any sort of realistic hope is kuzi. Odds way against the other two (doesn't mean it's impossible, just very unlikely) , even for kuzi they aren't that great but AIS grad whose shown a fair bit of talent already at a young age etc can't really be in a much better position then he is in and it will still be hard.

You confuse me. Just what exactly is your attitude towards youth development? Should the club bother at all or should they be half arsed about it or should they be fully committed? And I don't mean that Dekker or a particular player should be selected (that comes down to talent assessment and everyone could disagree on a particular individual).

You confuse me. Just what exactly is your attitude towards youth development? Should the club bother at all or should they be half arsed about it or should they be fully committed? And I don't mean that Dekker or a particular player should be selected (that comes down to talent assessment and everyone could disagree on a particular individual).

My attitude is that people need to be realistic with their attitudes. The bloke hasn't even played a game and we already have posts saying he is the future of the club and asking why he only has received a 1 year deal.

The odds of him becoming even a regular A-League player aren't great, especially with his background and given he has only made it to his first senior contract at 21.

I'm all for filling out the squad with young players on minimum salary, it's a proven strategy for success in the A-League, spend your salary cap on first 11 players. 

But let him play a few games and then we will see where he stands. Maybe he'll impress and become a more important member of the team, maybe he'll do enough to be considered for another chance next season in the squad filler role, or maybe he'll achieve nothing and be replaced with a different squad filler next season. 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

your attitude towards yoof is ridiculous

Why because I refuse to believe #yoof players they should be automatic selections like others on here until they prove themselves?

You dont see saying Meiling and Chapman should not be in the side or Goodwin when he was around for his half a Season.

The reality is "My Youth Attitude" has generally been proven correct... which is barely a hard prediction really when you see how very few players from the entire NYL system actually become established A-League players. It is a simple reality that the vast majority of these kids dont make it and its usually pretty obvious when you come across one who is capable of doing so...

Why because I refuse to believe #yoof players they should be automatic selections like others on here until they prove themselves?

You dont see saying Meiling and Chapman should not be in the side or Goodwin when he was around for his half a Season.

The reality is "My Youth Attitude" has generally been proven correct... which is barely a hard prediction really when you see how very few players from the entire NYL system actually become established A-League players. It is a simple reality that the vast majority of these kids dont make it and its usually pretty obvious when you come across one who is capable of doing so...

Worth noting that both Melling and Chapman, as well as blokes like Good, Hamill and Babalj all were part of the AIS program. Goodwin is pretty much the only successful #yoof player we have had that wasn't previously at the AIS. 

Not that the AIS is a guarantee to success either, eg Garuccio. 

Edited by Tesla

I think only retarded people believe Dekker is an automatic selection, but I fail to see why it's a problem that we've given him a senior squad contract? 

He's on fuck all wage, he's familiar with the club environment and the style of play, he's of a relatively mature-age and has performed admirably in the NYL/NPL. What's the point of a youth system if you're not going to reward those who do well in it? 

People do get carried away with youth and overrate them (I personally don't think Chapman is as good as most on here say he is) but it's unwise to neglect the better performing youth players as you're always going to unearth some talent in amongst the pretenders.

• Like 1

He was the golden boot for the whole NYL, so he's probably worth a minimum/low wage 1 season punt. Also he's been training with the senior team for ages, effectively since the NYL finished, so Dekker had to pass months of evaluation to get this 1 year deal.

If Dekker wasn't going to get a senior deal, no one youth player was, so it's obviously a good call IMO. No point in having 3 youth teams (NYL, NPL, U20 NPL) if the very very best youth players, such as Dekker, don't at least get minimum wage 1 season contracts to complete the numbers for the senior team.

Now we'll see what he can do, and if he can take his chances in the senior team. But still, all up I'd rather get a Wade Dekker at the start of his career, who might have the potential to be quality in the A-League, instead of the likes of Dylan Macallister, a so-so older Aussie player who clearly has no more potential.

• Like 1

I think only retarded people believe Dekker is an automatic selection, but I fail to see why it's a problem that we've given him a senior squad contract? 
He's on fuck all wage, he's familiar with the club environment and the style of play, he's of a relatively mature-age and has performed admirably in the NYL/NPL. What's the point of a youth system if you're not going to reward those who do well in it? 

People do get carried away with youth and overrate them (I personally don't think Chapman is as good as most on here say he is) but it's unwise to neglect the better performing youth players as you're always going to unearth some talent in amongst the pretenders.

When did I say his specific signing was a bad selection?

I think you need to read back mate... :droy:

I just made a gag about the stupid #startwalker crap that certain Heart fans used to post on here and Twitter... I didn't actually comment on the signing of Dekker.

Edited by cadete

When CFG just took over the club I had a look at youth development at Man City and their youth team have been reasonably successful. I then looked up how many of those players actually had a career in either of the first two divisions and sadly most of them did not go on to do much in the top two tiers in Europe (well at least on a quick scan of their careers). So I am not surprised that few NYL players will go on to have an A-League career. However there are a lot of kids that have a go.

When CFG just took over the club I had a look at youth development at Man City and their youth team have been reasonably successful. I then looked up how many of those players actually had a career in either of the first two divisions and sadly most of them did not go on to do much in the top two tiers in Europe (well at least on a quick scan of their careers). So I am not surprised that few NYL players will go on to have an A-League career. However there are a lot of kids that have a go.

TBH I just think the whole #yoof thing that Heart tried to use as an early promotion tool was badly thought out and was really borrowed from the AFL world probably by Scott Munn.

In AFL circles the #yoof line is talked about in every second discussion on TV or the Radio to get supporters of clubs who are rebuilding something to hold on to but the only thing about young players in the AFL that translates roughly to the young players of the A-League is the rate of blokes who play a small number of games and never make it.

However, playing these players is a lot more costly in A-League because there is no unlimited bench and only 11 on field positions as compared to 18.

Whilst developing these players does go nowhere near reaping the same benefits as it "usually does" (As its actually even changing in the AFL world now with Free Agency) for AFL sides because if the #yoof are any good they are not going to stay around for much longer than a couple of seasons. Therefore if a senior player is noticeably better than a #yoof player there isn't the same need like in AFL to chose the younger player.

And the reason I am so cynical about the #yoof crap is cos I have been around for a while now and I have read a lot stupid retarded shit along these lines such as the #startwalker crap, the Jeremy Walker is an out and out star and should be in the side crap, the Marino scored a tap in should start at CF crap and best of all the poster who for weeks advocated that JA should play the NYL side instead of the senior side for the last three games of Season Three because we desperately needed to develop players who officially could be legally poached by any other club at the season's end. (AKA Craig Goodwin)

That's the reality that most people dont realise. Even being in the youth system of a top club means nothing, the vast majority end up as unknowns. In a lot of ways it's a lottery, you're hoping that one day your academy will produce a decent player, and the more tickets (players) you have, the better the chance.

It's also worth looking at squads from u20 World Cups, on average you'd probably only see 1 or 2 from each squad go on to represent their country in a senior world cup. Being good at a young age is far from a guarantee that a young player will continue to develop and become a good player at senior level.

I do actually think Dekker has some promise in that he seems to have had quite a meteoric rise in the last few years, it reads a lot better than players that have shown talent at a younger age than Dekker but then slow down their development. Continued development is a much better sign than being good at an early age, 

So I'm not questioning Dekker's potential, rather I just hate the ridiculous hype and overrating that every young player gets on this forum. Settle down chaps.

In a salary cap league I feel developing your own players becomes more important.

Has Tesla said before it allows you to spend money on your first eleven if you can bring in a couple of youth players.

Of course the success rate for youth development is very low when you compare it to buying in ready made players.

All you can hope is that you uncover one or two players who can make a difference to your squad.

• Like 1

In a salary cap league I feel developing your own players becomes more important.

The opposite actually, salary cap makes it harder to keep hold of the youth you develop, it also promotes shorter contracts which also makes it harder to hold onto the youth you develop. The problem is made far worse by the fact there are no transfer fees between A-league clubs as well, making it likely you'll lose the young player you've developed for nothing.

There is very little incentive to develop youth in this league, and it's one area the FFA really need to look into fixing TBH.

The opposite actually, salary cap makes it harder to keep hold of the youth you develop, it also promotes shorter contracts which also makes it harder to hold onto the youth you develop. The problem is made far worse by the fact there are no transfer fees between A-league clubs as well, making it likely you'll lose the young player you've developed for nothing.

There is very little incentive to develop youth in this league, and it's one area the FFA really need to look into fixing TBH.

I agree that the FFA should have a good look at youth development pathways and how to best compensate clubs at all levels when they develop youth. So far it has been all about the skill acquisitions but there has been next to no statements on the commercial aspect of developing youth all the way down to the small side teams.

When I first joined this forum I did mention that there are clubs whose sole reason for existence is to develop players and on sell them. Their goal is not to win silverware but to earn a profit through development. Right now I have no idea what CFG's youth development policy is for Melbourne City and pretty much the same for the FFA.

TBH I am hopeful about this guy because he's actually proved himself worthy of promotion from the NYL side unlike Zac Walker ever did or really Jezza Walker ever did because his opportunities came about from a massive lack of personnel more than anything else. 

The Salary Cap should not include players promoted from NYL or similar. With an age cap.

I have maintained this for AFL as well - the salary cap should not be applicable for players you have taken in the draft. It is supposed to be a mechanism to stop teams buying success and promotes development - but it actually hinders development because if you develop well, eventually they will be squeezed out.

• Like 4

The salary cap (or an unreasonably low salary cap) comes up in all of these discussions as a significant factor in inhibiting clubs from doing what they would like to do for the growth of the game. It inhibits us from getting quality overseas players into our league and at the other end of the scale it's a disincentive to developing our own players.

No question in my mind that it should be progressively lifted in significant steps with a view to ultimately removing it.

• Like 1