Melbourne Football

Melbourne City FC W-League

True Until I die

So having a kind of permanent outpost there is possible..?

We could have a long-term lease, yes, at the discretion of the Council.

Is there any decent parking or public transport? I'd like to get MrsJW interested in the women's game, but if it's not convenient to get to the ground I'll have no chance.

We could have a long-term lease, yes, at the discretion of the Council.

Is there any decent parking or public transport? I'd like to get MrsJW interested in the women's game, but if it's not convenient to get to the ground I'll have no chance.

it's the home of Fawkner Fc or whatever they call themselves. The carpark is a reasonable size without being enormous and there is a clubhouse etc. at least 1 of the grounds is synthetic.

in regards to a permanent base that's our Bundoora facility. CB Smith will just be for games & might not even be a long term arrangement and that's fine.

..one such Council that has been pro-actively working towards the future of football and putting their money where their mouth is, and that is the City of Moreland. The council covers an area from Brunswick in Melbourne’s inner north up through Coburg, Pascoe Vale, Glenroy and across to Fawkner. In Jukes Road Fawkner, CB Smith Reserve is centrally located in the heart of a large community area including the Fawkner Leisure Centre, Library, Maternal and Child Health Centre and Fawkner Community House. On the other side of the fence is the John Fawkner College where recent investment has seen new synthetic pitches laid at the school, which is the key partner in the Melbourne City College of Football.

The City of Moreland had granted three clubs the rights to play at the upgraded CB Smith Reserve. They are Pascoe Vale SC from the NPL, Moreland Zebras from the NPL1 and Fawkner SC from the State League. Goal!

With only having a basic knowledge of some of the players we have signed.....

We're gonna win the league.....

This.  I didn't know who Lisa De Vanna was a month ago but just reading about our players and the fact that other clubs only spend a third of the cap it seems like we'll struggle to drop a point. 

Got a feeling that the team have some players on decent wages, a bunch of players on average wages and some youngsters playing for free meals and and boarding.. :huh:

It's pretty much always this way with W-League teams, given the league rules and money situation. The big difference is Melbourne City's players on decent wages are much bigger stars, the average players are much better than the W-League average and the younger players have a lot more potential than the other youngsters in the league.

Should be a very exciting season.

Edited by Murfy1

It's pretty much always this way with W-League teams, given the league rules and money situation. The big difference is Melbourne City's players on decent wages are much bigger stars, the average players are much better than the W-League average and the younger players have a lot more potential than the other youngsters in the league.

Should be a very exciting season.

And thru our sponsors we can perhaps provide no money but free airplane tickets, free leasing cars and even free meals at Pancake parlour.. ^_^

With the start of the W-league there's been some good overviews come out.

1. Season 8 guide from The Women's Game (if you're not already familiar with TWG team, they're such a great resource for information and coverage of the w-league)

2. Season 8 preview podcast from The Women's Game (a good listen with extensive discussion of Melbourne City; general predictions were for the top contenders to be us, Canberra United and Sydney FC; useful overview of the other teams in the league if you've not followed it before)

3. W-league media guide stats overview (includes a rundown of all the players in our squad)

• Like 3

I've just seen that Anisa Guajardo is in our squad now. I must have missed the announcement that she had signed with us, but this is very cool for me.

When me and my housemate were looking for a third housemate earlier this year, we interviewed an American girl who had come here to play football with Heidelberg. I looked her up on the internet and it turns out it was Anisa, the Mexican footballer. She had almost literally got off the plane straight from bowing out of the world cup.

She didn't accept our invitation to live with us, unfortunately. But it's great to see she's doing well over here and playing with City. I'm ooking forward to going and seeing her play a couple of times this season!

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/inside-the-matildas-strike/6837756

This is that report about the Matildas strike. Paid one third of minimum wage and expected to train full time from 8 months prior to the World Cup. Past captain and Vice captain had to go on the dole to support themselves. 

They assumed that the old agreement would just continue until the new deal could be agreed to. Nope FFA just said the deal has expired and stopped paying them. 

Its all very damning and puts in perspective the mens team having a whinge about not being paid 'enough'

• Like 1

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/inside-the-matildas-strike/6837756

This is that report about the Matildas strike. Paid one third of minimum wage and expected to train full time from 8 months prior to the World Cup. Past captain and Vice captain had to go on the dole to support themselves. 

They assumed that the old agreement would just continue until the new deal could be agreed to. Nope FFA just said the deal has expired and stopped paying them. 

Its all very damning and puts in perspective the mens team having a whinge about not being paid 'enough'

And into this infected situation walks Melbourne City handing out money... :P

I am not sure we are using the full cap. But I would hope so. The report says that most if not all clubs only spend one third of their cap anyway

People can say whatever they like about CFG but they are no cheapskates.. Money will be spent because winning games are good marketing, not only for the womens team but for all of Melbourne City and the sponsors involved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...