Melbourne Football

2014/15 City Survey

haz

what did people put down for season expectations? Bit of a shit question as of now we can only really finish top 6 and ffa cup has finished etc

I put what we want to see, top 3 in league, semi finals, acl qualification

Exactly the same ^

what did people put down for season expectations? Bit of a shit question as of now we can only really finish top 6 and ffa cup has finished etc

I put what we want to see, top 3 in league, semi finals, acl qualification 

Suspect the survey was sent to all A-League club members, so really that question should have had a "not applicable" answer.

In the comments section at the end I put that top 3 should be the objective for every season, plus a few other comments about communications, having the Academy HQ open to members, getting at least a red stripe on the home kit etc. etc. Almost certainly wasting my electronic breath but never mind.

Edit: I had a few 7s and 8s in my answers, but TBH many were in the 3-5 range.

Edited by jw1739

I had a bitch about the things that really annoy me off field.

This is primarily that the club will not tell us anything of import, essentially treating the members with contempt.  Examples:

• Promised consultation but didn't do it and instead tried to foist the hated sky blue upon us and stopped from that by Sydney/FFA, lumped us with the "hand me down" Man City 3rd strip instead and thus abandoned our beloved red and white to a few "clash" games
  • Still waiting to hear officially what is happening with David Villa.  This is a guy who's name was used to recruit members, but the club has NEVER announced if he is leaving or if he will return, having gone for the gutless, "let them find out for themselves" route.  Simply piss poor.
  • Ross Archibald captain of our championship winning NYL team and a representative in a number of senior games has had his jersey number reallocated- so they announced...........?
  • A player comes here from Man City youth- they tell us.... Oh yes, its SFA again.  The special Man City mushroom treatment.

Meanwhile driving home I get all manner of stuff on SEN about the various (g)AFL clubs who are falling over themselves to keep their members informed about what is happening at their clubs.  Funnily enough membership is soaring for all these clubs, who seem to all have CEOs who are only too happy to talk to the fans through the media about what might be happening at their club.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 6

I had a bitch about the things that really annoy me off field.

This is primarily that the club will not tell us anything of import, essentially treating the members with contempt.  Examples:

• Promised consultation but didn't do it and instead tried to foist the hated sky blue upon us and stopped from that by Sydney/FFA, lumped us with the "hand me down" Man City 3rd strip instead and thus abandoned our beloved red and white to a few "clash" games
  • Still waiting to hear officially what is happening with David Villa.  This is a guy who's name was used to recruit members, but the club has NEVER announced if he is leaving or if he will return, having gone for the gutless, "let them find out for themselves" route.  Simply piss poor.
  • Ross Archibald captain of our championship winning NYL team and a representative in a number of senior games has had his jersey number reallocated- so they announced...........?
  • A player comes here from Man City youth- they tell us.... Oh yes, its SFA again.  The special Man City mushroom treatment.

Meanwhile driving home I get all manner of stuff on SEN about the various (g)AFL clubs who are falling over themselves to keep their members informed about what is happening at their clubs.  Funnily enough membership is soaring for all these clubs, who seem to all have CEOs who are only too happy to talk to the fans through the media about what might be happening at their club.

good to hear, i also mentioned the david villa disaster, communication from the club, memberships being same price when they could of lowered and attract more people, lack of merch

The way I see it is they rarely asked our opinion - when they do its a chance to "speak now or forever hold our peace".  We simply have to speak on the matters close to our hearts, whether that's comms, tucker or meat head security. So please do the same.

I didn't bother with the on field stuff.  I am starting to form a view that these guys know what they are doing now in regards to the A League and i don't think I can tell old mate Tixie (what kind of a name is that anyway?) anything about football he hasn't already figured out (or in the unlikely event that i could, that he would listen).

The way I see it is they rarely asked our opinion - when they do its a chance to "speak now or forever hold our peace".  We simply have to speak on the matters close to our hearts, whether that's comms, tucker or meat head security. So please do the same.

I didn't bother with the on field stuff.  I am starting to form a view that these guys know what they are doing now in regards to the A League and i don't think I can tell old mate Tixie (what kind of a name is that anyway?) anything about football he hasn't already figured out (or in the unlikely event that i could, that he would listen).

Never, ever piss of a Basque. In general even Spaniards can be touchy - having worked with one for two years and through business having had to work with them.

Well, I gave them a 0 out of 10 for the 6 months or something that it took them to send me my membership pack...

I also stated that I wanted the club to win the FFA Cup, as I knew that was important to you guys. To be honest, a number of my answers were less what I wanted and more what I knew you wanted.

Also, the survey didn't like me stating that I hadn't spent any money on merch or tickets, and wouldn't let me move on to the next question until I stated a figure more than zero, so I'm sure you guys will all be delighted to know that I officially spent $1 on merch this year. I also pointed out that I would happily attend more matches if they wanted to lay on free flights every now and again.

• Like 2

I didn't even realise it has been sent out. I guess I better check my email for once :lol:

Yes, I had a 'full and frank' feedback focusing on

Organisation and team culture

On field recruitment and playing style

Coaching performance

The need for Police and security education about football culture

Fan engagement

Attendances at games

"The need for Police and security education about football culture"

I can see where you are going with that, but at times I think some fans of our sport need a reality check. Thats not the Police's fault, as it is the actions of a few fans (throughout the sport, not just Melb City) that ruin things for everyone.

Bringing flares, starting fights and other anti-social behaviour can not be brought under the excuse of "football culture".

Edited by Heart_fan
  • Like 1

I didn't even realise it has been sent out. I guess I better check my email for once :lol:

Yes, I had a 'full and frank' feedback focusing on

Organisation and team culture

On field recruitment and playing style

Coaching performance

The need for Police and security education about football culture

Fan engagement

Attendances at games

"The need for Police and security education about football culture"

I can see where you are going with that, but at times I think some fans of our sport need a reality check. Thats not the Police's fault, as it is the actions of a few fans (throughout the sport, not just Melb City) that ruin things for everyone.

Bringing flares, starting fights and other anti-social behaviour can not be brought under the excuse of "football culture".

Agree, I think that the 'social contract' with Police also needs to include fans accepting responsibility and handing over trouble makers to Police.

• Like 2

Actually fan behaviour has been an issue for decades across a range of sports. Bay 13 was infamous and going to Victoria Park as a 14 year old made me realise that I never wanted to go back there again. So it is not all one way.

Of course. Elements of such behavious have occured in many sports over the years.

The issue is that we need to show fans of our sport can be trusted before the police and security decide to be less hands on. Looking at other sports and pointing fingers at their past events won't get us far.

Edited by Heart_fan

I always fill these in because we don't get too many opportunities to have a voice.It's always easy to be negative, but I do think it would be better to have the opportunity to leave feedback at every question, because quite often none of the allowed answers really matches my opinion or reason.

Next time I must remember to make that suggestion in the "feedback" field...

From the club's perspective, you have to minimize the amount of written feedback voters can give (especially if this will become a common occurrence), otherwise you'll have some poor bloke reading 1000 rants about JVS not smiling enough.

But I agree that some of the questions were a bit awkward to answer, I find it really difficult to rate some things just out of 10 without additional comment.

Edited by bellydrum
  • Like 1

I'm just curious to know if anyone has ever filled out a survey, the results published and fed back, an action plan outlined, and then the action plan is actually carried out? This is called "closing the loop". I don't know how many surveys I've filled out over the years with many sources, but even getting the results is an anomaly.

Surveys are a modern management tool to make people think something is being done, without anything actually being done. Sorry for the cynicism, but "Yes Minister" had this pegged in the 70's.

• Like 2

I'm just curious to know if anyone has ever filled out a survey, the results published and fed back, an action plan outlined, and then the action plan is actually carried out? This is called "closing the loop". I don't know how many surveys I've filled out over the years with many sources, but even getting the results is an anomaly.

Surveys are a modern management tool to make people think something is being done, without anything actually being done. Sorry for the cynicism, but "Yes Minister" had this pegged in the 70's.

"Yes Minister" mentioned by date. I still think of it as pop culture :( .