Melbourne Football

Hostage situation in Sydney

Nate

Devastating for those unlucky enough to be in the café. Shame on the mainstream media spreading hysteria without the facts yesterday by reporting unsubstantiated rumours.

Personally I thought the media should be commended yesterday. As a whole they knew a lot of information that was news worthy and easy to sell. But they were asked by special forces and police not to release certain information. Of which every media outlet to my knowledge complied and stayed silent.

• Like 3

Devastating for those unlucky enough to be in the café. Shame on the mainstream media spreading hysteria without the facts yesterday by reporting unsubstantiated rumours.

Personally I thought the media should be commended yesterday. As a whole they knew a lot of information that was news worthy and easy to sell. But they were asked by special forces and police not to release certain information. Of which every media outlet to my knowledge complied and stayed silent.

A handful of online news sources reported information as fact and were subsequently asked by AFP/NSW Police to remove it, to which they complied.

A handful of online news sources reported information as fact and were subsequently asked by AFP/NSW Police to remove it, to which they complied.

Yeah I get your point and I know that each service wants to be the one with the breaking headlines. But news.com.au reporting facts that the harbor bridge was closed, airspace had been closed as fact just spreads fear. Overall I think the police should be praised for their performance. I really hope this doesn't spark any further muslim hate in the community.

I really hope this doesn't spark any further muslim hate in the community.

This was my initial fear. Although I am not a fan of clicktavism the sentiment of the #illridewithyou campaign shows that the vast majority of people are supportive of the muslim community and acknowledge this was just one nutter.

• Like 1

What a dumb cunt. With his level of stupidity that he bought the wrong flag as well then demanded the right flag be delivered to him. Never thought I'd see the script of Four Lions being played out live. Only this time in a chocolate store not a kebab shop.

Seems to have achieved the opposite of his intention where I've seen it bring about far more togetherness than spread any terror. I don't feel it changes anything in this country. We will mourn the deaths of the two who lost their lives so senselessly but other than that we will go to work and continue as normal while this dickhead rots in the ground.

I think the Police and Media both did a great job over the course if the incident to be fair. Although if I hear the term lone wolf again I'll spew. Why use a term that seems to imply strength ect? Sad deranged loner would have been more accurate.

Edited by perthheart
  • Like 2

Sorry but this I'll ride with you shit is lame. Once again twitter do gooders wanting to appear as some noble peace prize winner but if a Muslim was being attacked they wouldn't do shit

That's a disappointingly cynical way to look at it.

As someone who used the hastag, you're damn right I'd stand up and do something if I saw a Muslim being attacked, as I would if I saw anyone innocent copping verbal/physical abuse for simply being who they are. In fact, there's already been an instance of quite a few people standing up to someone who was abusing a Muslim woman on a Metro train this morning.

I'm actually pretty proud to see how people rallied behind the Muslim community in the past 24 hours. The sentiment of it all is as important as anything in my eyes, as I'm sure it's pretty distressing for members of that community to read some of the hateful bile that's posted online. I'd rather read the #illridewithyou comments than that sort of crap any day.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 2

Tend to agree he would have been mentally ill. Problem with the shit IS puts out is it will attract people such as this guy, he was trying to claim affiliation with IS in the hostage videos that went up.

Supposedly the Shia community had reported him to federal police as he was claiming to be an Ayatollah on a website he had put up as well. Obviously didn't attract many followers if he was doing this shit on his own.

Just find it awkward that 2 innocent people have died and the whole of the Internet is sympathising with Australian-Muslims??? Don't understand.

the whole of the internet? and noone on the internet sympathized with the victims?

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Ye na twitter nerds are phaggots who talk shit, they can't even fight on a lentil diet. I'd jump in for any innocent person but you won't see me hash tagging.

What ever happened to the "bring back the girls" shit for those Nigerian girls. Fuck all.

Kony? Somehow he overcame the twitter nerds and their deadly hash tags.

Btw im not buying the whole "he was just some nut". Well obviously he was a nut but why the fuck does he have 14k likes on Facebook? No talk about that this morning on the TV and radio.

Tend to agree he would have been mentally ill. Problem with the shit IS puts out is it will attract people such as this guy, he was trying to claim affiliation with IS in the hostage videos that went up.

Supposedly the Shia community had reported him to federal police as he was claiming to be an Ayatollah on a website he had put up as well. Obviously didn't attract many followers if he was doing this shit on his own.

I posted that above, and that was one of the reasons I also have for thinking he was mentally ill. They also said he didn't seem to have any idea about the religion. An extremist, by definition, would know a lot about their religion, this bloke seems severely confused.

The IS propaganda was probably part of it, but I think what would attract someone like this is more the attention terrorists and terrorism are getting, similar to all the mass shootings in the US where every time the person becomes pretty much a celebrity, and then that attracts other deranged cunts to go shoot up a school or whatever so they can also get all that attention.

Sorry but this I'll ride with you shit is lame. Once again twitter do gooders wanting to appear as some noble peace prize winner but if a Muslim was being attacked they wouldn't do shit

I think its lame too, but the point I was making is that a positive message is more prominent than hate.

I can except that. It's probably the type of people I've seen post it which is Pissing me off more than the actual message.

Just find it awkward that 2 innocent people have died and the whole of the Internet is sympathising with Australian-Muslims??? Don't understand.

the whole of the internet? and noone on the internet sympathized with the victims?

Well #illridewithyou seems to be gaining more attention than #R.I.P Victim was more my point.

Just feels like the whole of Australia is trying so hard to send a message that we aren't racist, but the harder you try the less genuine it seems.

• Like 1

I think its lame too, but the point I was making is that a positive message is more prominent than hate.

I can except that. It's probably the type of people I've seen post it which is Pissing me off more than the actual message.

I'll be the first to agree with you that there's a lot of disingenuous knobs who get behind any internet cause/trend they can man, don't worry about that.

Like thisphantomfortress says though, it's good to see a positive message being more prominent than a message of hate, and even if some people jumping on the bandwagon are doing it just to appear 'cool', I'd still rather read those messages than all the 'nuke the towel-heads' ones.

Edited by King Malta

Well #illridewithyou seems to be gaining more attention than #R.I.P Victim was more my point.

Just feels like the whole of Australia is trying so hard to send a message that we aren't racist, but the harder you try the less genuine it seems.

Ye thats Pissing me off. I've seen a few pages posting 5 different posts saying it was a set up.. then ppl die and all I see is "l'll ride with u"... not one post about the nut job or the poor ppl murdered by him.

I need to deleted Facebook

People are dead, they can't be brought back. Whereas further violence can be stopped. Simple as that.

• Like 4

I posted that above, and that was one of the reasons I also have for thinking he was mentally ill. They also said he didn't seem to have any idea about the religion. An extremist, by definition, would know a lot about their religion, this bloke seems severely confused.

The IS propaganda was probably part of it, but I think what would attract someone like this is more the attention terrorists and terrorism are getting, similar to all the mass shootings in the US where every time the person becomes pretty much a celebrity, and then that attracts other deranged cunts to go shoot up a school or whatever so they can also get all that attention.

Yeah that's the article i'd seen posted on fb. Idiots like this will probably attach their name to whoever will get the most attention. In the past Al Qaeda and now it's IS I guess.

FFS I have people on my news feed who have posted multiple illridewithyou statuses, but not one single post about those who were killed or held hostage :droy:

Get around the new hashtag

#Illridewithyouplusrememberthosepeoplewhowerekilledandhelhostage

Lol.

I am not against ppl using the hashtag, just twats who dont really give a shit, who want to get likes/attention and appear worldly/cultured/politically aware etc.

• Like 1

FFS I have people on my news feed who have posted multiple illridewithyou statuses, but not one single post about those who were killed or held hostage :droy:

Lol.

I am not against ppl using the hashtag, just twats who dont really give a shit, who want to get likes/attention and appear worldly/cultured/politically aware etc.

You'll love the new hashtag then

#illridewithyouplusrememberthosepeoplewhowerekilledandheldhostageandireallygiveashitaboutthisimnotjustalikewhorepluskeeptheredandwhite

• Like 1

Lol.

1. Did any of these PPL actually go ride with someone?

I am guessing the large majority just caught their normal bus from Bronte to Sydney CBD tuned into a Russell Brand Podcast alone.

2. Why are these PPL even needed to ride with Muslims?

The whole thing is one massive incorrect assumption on Australian Society being much more racist that what it actually is...

3. I dont care if the whole Hashtag thing is supposedly a good thing to come out of the siege... the siege was fucked and evil and it should be left as such out of respect to the victims and so that we can work as a nation to never let something like this happen again.

• Like 2

work as a nation to never let something like this happen again.

The hashtag is a pretty good start at achieving this. Hatred breeds hatred and will only create more situations like what has just occurred, the hashtag and the sentiments behind it are doing the exact opposite.

Don't get me wrong, this is the usual social media attention seeking lame gay behaviour that I'm not a fan of, but given it's creating a culture of peace and unity rather than hatred, I have no problem admitting that I'm giving this one a pass. Just seems to me that some lame social media campaign is a lot better than seeing race riots and shit like that.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

work as a nation to never let something like this happen again.

The hashtag is a pretty good start at achieving this. Hatred breeds hatred and will only create more situations like what has just occurred, the hashtag and the sentiments behind it are doing the exact opposite.

Don't get me wrong, this is the usual social media attention seeking lame gay behaviour that I'm not a fan of, but given it's creating a culture of peace and unity rather than hatred, I have no problem admitting that I'm giving this one a pass. Just seems to me that some lame social media campaign is a lot better than seeing race riots and shit like that.

FFS the whole point is that there never was going to be a fucken Race Riot in the first place.

The country learnt from Cronulla which was almost ten years ago and has come nowhere near close to being replicated and I should add was a riot based around domestic issues and not anything to do with a reaction to Jihad... then there is the fact it also occurred in The Shire which is a very weird parochial community that is very different to the vast rest of Australia,

This whole campaign is stupid because it is assuming that this country is a fuckload more racist that it actually is...

And TBH if the first thing you think about when a terrorist attack like this occurs is I better hit twitter up to stop "Mass Race Riots" that didnt happen/didn't look like happening well in a way this in itself seems to be a pretty bloody racist way of reacting at the whole situation. :hmm:

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

#Illridewithyouplusrememberthosepeoplewhowerekilledandhelhostage Lol.

1. Did any of these PPL actually go ride with someone?

I am guessing the large majority just caught their normal bus from Bronte to Sydney CBD tuned into a Russell Brand Podcast alone.

2. Why are these PPL even needed to ride with Muslims?

The whole thing is one massive incorrect assumption on Australian Society being much more racist that what it actually is...

3. I dont care if the whole Hashtag thing is supposedly a good thing to come out of the siege... the siege was fucked and evil and it should be left as such out of respect to the victims and so that we can work as a nation to never let something like this happen again.

Couldn't have said it better. What is the % of people attacking muslims? High enough for a world wide viral hashtag?

How about #dontshitonthetrain

Goes without saying but a % people will still do it.

• Like 2