Melbourne Football

MVFC v MCFC - The Derby! R3

Baka1

With the barrage of cap news this week if ever there was a time we needed to see the team shake things off and show some balls this is it.

I am generally nervous before derby games but I have this weird calm gut feeling that we will convincingly win this. Not necessarily with a particularly high score but I am feeling like (hoping) last week's game will be the massive kick up the arse that everyone at the club needed.

Edited by KSK_47

I am nervous and think we might get spanked haha. But I still havent shaken that Heart pessimism.

Neither have I which is why its weird that I feel this calm. 

Or maybe I have reached emotional exhaustion. We will see which one it is

For me last week was a real let down. We should have creamed Newcastle but we almost lost. 

• Like 1

I am nervous and think we might get spanked haha. But I still havent shaken that Heart pessimism.

For me last week was a real let down. We should have creamed Newcastle but we almost lost. 

Absolutely. And I am hoping that the big wigs in Manchester saw that and gave a warning that if shit like that is ever served up again people will lose their jobs. 

Absolutely. And I am hoping that the big wigs in Manchester saw that and gave a warning that if shit like that is ever served up again people will lose their jobs. 

Funny that you mention that. Head CFG football honcho

Ready for departure... to @MelbourneCity! Looking forward for a great working week. #Australia #City #together

• Like 1

Funny that you mention that. Head CFG football honcho

Ready for departure... to @MelbourneCity! Looking forward for a great working week. #Australia #City #together

Uh oh! 

Damn, reading through the different threads in this forum this arvo has got me excited about the game tomorrow.  I really need to get hold of a ticket!

To continue to get everyone in the mood for a big one:

Holy Hell, did we do that !!

Anything that Engelaar did - including the best goal ever scored in the HAL.

Harry's lazy left footer against Vucktree - did he have the sweetest left foot ever for an Aussie?

Willo's Villa-esque goal against Shydney

Migliorini's double against AU - absolute crackers

Duga had a few fine contributions - hopefully he gets some form soon.

Pretty crazy to think that that highlights reel came from not only our worst season, but the equal longest non-winning streak in the entirety of the A-League

We've been in most of the games that we've lost, since I've been a member. We've seldom been blown off the park, at least that I can remember. And I'm confident that's reasonably accurate, because I was actually hoping that if we were going to lose games last year in the midst of the losing streak, that we got done by 4+ goals, so the 'unlucky' excuses would be more heavily scrutinised. So, most of the losses weren't terrible (and when they were, it's because we'd thrown it away, not because we'd been destroyed); it was just the cumulative effect of them.

Pretty crazy to think that that highlights reel came from not only our worst season, but the equal longest non-winning streak in the entirety of the A-League

We've been in most of the games that we've lost, since I've been a member. We've seldom been blown off the park, at least that I can remember. And I'm confident that's reasonably accurate, because I was actually hoping that if we were going to lose games last year in the midst of the losing streak, that we got done by 4+ goals, so the 'unlucky' excuses would be more heavily scrutinised. So, most of the losses weren't terrible (and when they were, it's because we'd thrown it away, not because we'd been destroyed); it was just the cumulative effect of them.

This is why I get pissed when I hear people say they are happy with games like Sydney in R1. Under JA we didn't get smashed week in week out, yet still matched one of the worst records in HAL history. Rarely does anyone get constantly pumped in the A League every week. The difference comes from finishing off your opponent in the games you have been in, which is were we seem to have always had problems. We consistently throw games away that there is no reason we shouldn't have won. Not just under JA, but JVS too (obviously to a lesser extent).

So simply playing well for patches or creating chances or having loads of possession doesn't mean shit at the end of it all.

This club has always lacked that lethal "go for the jugular" attitude (or at least it has had it for little bursts but soon returns to the same old- usually because of an injury or some other excuse).

Now is the time to show how things have changed.

This is how I think this weekend will pan out.

The line-up is announced late, just as the gates open at 4pm. It doesn’t include Villa, but Duff is named, and Koren will start on the bench. The usual suspects round out the squad, aside from Archibald who replaces Ramsay at left back, and Mauk, who replaces Murdocca.

The game is already a sell-out, so we don’t need to worry about getting the crowds in for this one, the real concern is whether or not people will get a decent GA seat on level 3. By all accounts going GA might be the best decision anyone has ever made.

The roof is closed. David Villa is nowhere to be seen.

Kick-off is delayed by five minutes as some trouble makers from the NT let off a few flares and obscure parts of the field. The stadium fills with the acrid smell of fireworks as the sun sets over Melbourne. Clouds race in from the south and a cold wind blows outside the stadium.

The first half is a cagey affair, with both sides probing for the opener, but defences hold firm. The selection of Archibald at left back seems to be a masterstroke by JvS, as he keeps Barbarouses quiet for the opening stanza. Thompson looks dangerous getting in behind Hoffman on a few occasions, but the steel wall of Kisnorbo keeps these forays from being overly dangerous.

At the other end, Williams is making the most of Villa’s absence. He’s everywhere, popping up for crosses from Duff, and streaking past Leijer to put a few shots on goal.

And yet Villa remains absent.

Half time comes and goes, with the scores locked at nil all. Another derby stalemate is on the cards as the clock ticks over to 80 minutes gone. The sound of thunder echoes around the stadium as JvS makes the first substitution; Koren will make his debut in place of young Stephan Mauk.

Rumours of Koren’s injured calf appear to be well-founded, as the Slovenian international hobbles out to the middle of the pitch where Mauk waits. A collective groan from the City fans emanates around the stadium as Koren limps toward the young midfielder.

The roof slowly opens.

Dark clouds swirl in around in a maelstrom directly above Etihad Stadium as Koren stalks towards the hapless youngster.

One by one, the stadium lights are extinguished.

In the eye of the storm, Koren places a hand over the forehead of Mauk and closes his eyes. An inhuman groan from Koren, a shriek of pure terror from Mauk, then the crack of thunder announce that this is no ordinary derby. No, dark forces are at play tonight, and the blood of Mauk is already being consumed by a ravenous A-League marquee.

At the height of the raging storm, Koren utters the words handed down to him from ages past, and hoists the limp form of Mauk into the ozone-heavy air. A beam of pure energy surges from the eye of the storm and impales the hapless Mauk, as his skin sloughs away and his veins boil off into the atmosphere. Darkness flows across the pitch and through the stunned crowd like a roiling ocean of madness.

JvS stands up, raises his hands to the sky, and screams “SIBON!”. Reality distends and reflects back in on itself as Koren slumps to the grass, with Mauk nowhere to be seen. In his place, a towering figure emerges from the absolute blackness. Chaos. Insanity. Despair. Those in the crowd who have not gone insane from witnessing the past, present and future as one now stare in wonder as Melbourne City’s saviour calmly gathers up the ball.

Gerald Sibon has returned.

City go on to win 1-0 with a Williams tap-in in the 92nd minute.

I can't find this option on Sportsbet.

• Like 3

I don't like this bullshit the club, and Villa above, is spinning that this is our first derby, new club, 10k memebers in our first season etc.  FFS it ws about 90% red and white last weekend.

Good on JVS for pointing out that the owners have changed, the strips have changed, but otherwise we're not a first year club.

90% white with a bit of red from where I was sitting. 

I don't like this bullshit the club, and Villa above, is spinning that this is our first derby, new club, 10k memebers in our first season etc.  FFS it ws about 90% red and white last weekend.

Good on JVS for pointing out that the owners have changed, the strips have changed, but otherwise we're not a first year club.

Irrelevant, we're still not a new club.

Irrelevant, we're still a new club.

Careful. Someone might photoshop that comment.

Irrelevant, we're still not a new club.

Exactly! Same supporters, mostly the same players, same coach, most of the same staff, same stadium …. same club! New name, colours and badge don't change that fact! Despite what any of the owners or any retard Victory supporter may tell you.

After arguing with a couple of tards on Facebook about how we're not kidding ourselves if we still see this as the same club, I've realised that they obviously care more about the name and colours than anything else, which to me says that they are pathetic supporters.

I asked them if they'd walk away from their team should they change name and colours and they said yes, which again stresses that they believe the colours and name define a club, when clearly the majority of us here believe that it's the players, the style of play/culture, and most of all the mates that we've made in the stands that really make this club ours. 

But you know what, who cares what our overlords say to the media (or get players to say to the media), we know that this club is in its 5th season (not its first), and as long as red remains in the stands, and we still include a few heart chants here and there, then that'll never be forgotten. 

• Like 2

anyone on the hurstbridge line - MAJOR delays today. buses replacing trains later on. fucked timing. be aware.

Typical Metro. Do you know if it's any particular stations that are affected or if it's the entire line?@metrotrains: Hurstbridge/Sth Morang lines: Buses are replacing trains Parliament - Clifton Hill all weekend due to works.

ahh, yeah, i just checked quickest times and it told me to get a train to ivanhoe and then a bus (as opposed to buses replacing trains)... not cool! gonna park in fitzroy near a mates place and leg it over

Yeah just done all this (coming back from a long 1 way run with some mates).  We took an hour to get to Ivanhoe from Flinders Street (train to Parliament, bus to Clifton Hill, train again).  If you are stuck using the "train" allow a heap of time.

Anyone know where I can watch the game in Phillip Island?

The continental hotel. What you doin on the island?Week away with the ladyDont expect any atmosphere. Don't complain.

Last year in phuket at the pub, 3 screens showing rugby game and one without any volume showed 3rd derby.

I asked to put volume up and got laughed at by the rugby fukweets!!

Btw I was the only one watching soccer without volume while all the fat fucks were grunting non stop.

Should have burned that place.