Melbourne Football

Should Barcelona purchase Adelaide FC?

TheStig

Hi all

I have just been going over the membership numbers of various clubs and it looks like Perth, Wellington, Adelaide and CCM are really struggling this year.

what I find strange is the relatively low support Adelaide is attracting. I would have thought it would attract a similar support base to WSW?

With that in mind would Adelaide benefit if a big name European club like Barcelona were to take a controlling stake in the club? Would this attract many current non members and if so, what kind of membership base could Adelaide get?

Cheers Peter

Edited by pberrett

I think Adelaide United should relocate to Barcelona and they should enter La Liga, I think that would be a very good and realistic move for the club.

They'll then qualify for the Champions League, beat Bayern Wellington in the final thanks to a late deflection off Gombau's chin and then Bruce Djite will win the Ballon D'Or. 

Lots of potential imo

• Like 1

Its a suggestion, a way of promoting football in SA so its on topic.

I'm no fan of Adelaide but I do want to see football grow all over Australia.

Given the membership growth at Heart since the takeover having a big Spanish club like Barcelona or Real Madrid buy one of the league's lower membership clubs would have to be good thing for football in Australia.

Cheers Peter

With that in mind would Adelaide benefit if a big name European club like Barcelona were to take a controlling stake in the club?

Yes.

Would this attract many current non members

Yes.

and if so, what kind of membership base could Adelaide get?

• Like 1

With that in mind would Adelaide benefit if a big name European club like Barcelona were to take a controlling stake in the club?

Yes.

Would this attract many current non members

Yes.

and if so, what kind of membership base could Adelaide get?

Accurate, 10/10

If this topic is a serious question, then it's the wrong question. Adelaide United is an A-League franchise, and its owners are the owners of the licence to play in the A-League, not the owners of the franchise itself.

I would find it hard to believe that CFG didn't know what it was doing when it took majority ownership of the Melbourne Heart licence, but I suspect that it (CFG) has found the going since then a little tougher than it might have expected. It was thwarted on the colour change issue, has been unable to resolve the "Melbourne City" name change (although it has gone ahead and made that change) and has seen FFA immediately change the rules on loan players to rule out most potential loans of Manchester City players (EDS or otherwise) to Melbourne City. I also believe I read recently that the plans to establish a football academy here have had to be put on hold because A-League franchises are apparently not allowed to run under-age teams - would welcome further comment on that.

I'm not sure that other overseas clubs would be leaping in to buy into the A-League licence system without having much more freedom to operate than is currently allowed. Which IMO is a pity.