Melbourne Football

Melbourne City V CCM Sunday 7th of September

Dylan

Well, deja vu. We should have wrapped up that match by half-time. As it was, once CCM brought on some fresh legs our defence was exposed for pace, and we were very lucky to come away with a draw. As our energy levels fell we were very lethargic going forward in the second half; our players took far too long to make a decision and pass the ball, and there was just no penetration in the final third of the pitch. We just do not seem to have the ability to open up a defence and present a striker with a clear opportunity to score.

Disappointing after having so much of the play in the first half.

Well, deja vu. We should have wrapped up that match by half-time. As it was, once CCM brought on some fresh legs our defence was exposed for pace, and we were very lucky to come away with a draw. As our energy levels fell we were very lethargic going forward in the second half; our players took far too long to make a decision and pass the ball, and there was just no penetration in the final third of the pitch. We just do not seem to have the ability to open up a defence and present a striker with a clear opportunity to score.

Yes, at the moment we will be relying on a defensive mistake from our opponents to score

Yes, at the moment we will be relying on a defensive mistake from our opponents to score

Out of curiosity, what defensive mistake provided our goal against the Mariners today?

I'm still waiting to see more from the team as well. Marino and then James Brown (or was it triallist Wade Dekker) as our striker up front weren't great focal points for our attack IMO (although to be fair to Marino, he's still settling into the team, and hasn't played many minutes against A-League opposition). Really would have liked to have seen David Williams come on for Marino. What's the story behind Williams' absence? 

Good to see the team maintain I'd say over over 60% possession (maybe around 2/3s the possession). Especially in the first half Melbourne City were the only team that looked likely to score, which is an improvement on last season, where the team had to come from behind in a majority of games (especially under JA). As the highlights show, it was one-way traffic to Melbourne City, and we just needed to take one of our numerous chances in the first half: http://youtu.be/RRrBa3qHuMM?t=1h12m44s .

And the team did eventually breakthrough with a well worked team set piece. Also Duff just prior to the goal in the second half, and Dekker one-on-one later in the second half also had good chances to score. So against arguably one of the better defensive teams in the league in CCM, I'd say our attack wasn't bad, but on the other hand it wasn't great either and I'd like to see more from our attack. 

So some decent signs, yet still some room for improvement as well. But there's no reason to write the upcoming season off after this pre-season match, as some of a pessimistic disposition seem all too willing to do.

• Like 2

Firstly the positives, we had a majority of the possesion whch was located for most of the time close to our forward third. Something else is how we closed them down the moment we lost possession, which was great to see and not really characteristic of our former seasons. Overall it was great to watch and I was happy with the style of play we incorporated, very attacking and direct football. I thought we showed a lot of characteristics of the way man city play. And the goal was a well taken set peice and a great finish, not sure where the mistake from our opposition came from besides the free kick.

A few of our players made some mistakes particularly one from mooy, his turnover in the second half should have put the mariners up a goal. The replay got in the way of seeing the penalty properly so I'm not sure exactly what happenned there.

Overall though it was a good performance for a month out from the season. With an experienced striker in villa and possibly down the track Kennedy those chances should be hitting the back of the net.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

Out of curiosity, what defensive mistake provided our goal against the Mariners today?

Not every goal, but we do need to be more creative and accurate in front of goal. Villa will help but we need more than 1 effective route to goal

I thought today we did create chances and had more than one effective route to goal. Some of the through balls through the centre of their defence nearly paid off, we had some chances when the ball came in off the wing and we created a chance or two when going over their defenders. Not sure if there's any other route available that they could have possibly taken....????

The concern for me was that we squandered chance after chance after chance. And then in the second half when CCM started to actually play there were times when they carved us up like butter. Yes our goal was well crafted and there were certainly positives but some real troublesome issues still persist.

I just don't see how overall people could be pleased by what they saw. I am definitely not writing off our season but there are some major problems that need to be fixed. Some people seem to think that any criticism is an attack on the club or something. They are so upbeat about every tiny positive it's like we have a supporter base made up of those English people that harass you in the street to give money to charity.

Some really promising signs but as usual we are being let down by not getting the basics right.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

The concern for me was that we squandered chance after chance after chance. And then in the second half when CCM started to actually play there were times when they carved us up like butter. Yes our goal was well crafted and there were certainly positives but some real troublesome issues still persist.

I just don't see how overall people could be pleased by what they saw. I am definitely not writing off our season but there are some major problems that need to be fixed. Some people seem to think that any criticism is an attack on the club or something. They are so upbeat about every tiny positive it's like we have a supporter base made up of those English people that harass you in the street to give money to charity.

Some really promising signs but as usual we are being let down by not getting the basics right.

More to the point it's trying to inject some positivity amongst all the negativity, which there was. There's no doubt that there were mistakes, but I'd rather be talking about this game from a city perspective than a mariners perspective.

I was very pleased with our intensity, ball movement, pressing, and passing in the first half. Not so pleased with our inefficiency in front of goal. Not pleased with the second half where we lost control of the game and were unable to wrestle it back. Of course there were subs on both sides but CCM adapted better. Marino looked good and will be a good signing. I'm very concerned about LB, I'd like to see Archibold play as a CB with Germano at RB.

I garuntee you that I myself looking at the positives won't really affect the outcome of the team this season.

You are a part of the culture of the club. As fans we may find that by demanding more we may just get it. Yeah I am part of club culture. I praise good performances when they're deserved and expect mistakes are addressed and improved upon. To me this seems like a pretty good culture to bring to the club as a supporter. But my point is there's no reason why the the things we are doing right can't be acknowledged.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1