Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

4 minutes ago, millm103 said:

List of ex EPL players in MLS (have a feeling I have missed 1 or 2) 

Gerard
Keane
Dos Santos 
Drogba
Lampard 
Wright-Phillips x 2
Martins 
Altidore 
Doyle
Eckersley 
Neal
Reo-Coker
Ridgewell 
Sam
Caldwell  

I'm sure i've read something about Keane coming to the A League so my moneys on him. 

But Drogba or Gerrard....

10102251.jpg

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Gerrard, Lampard and Drogba are the only 'big names' amongst that lot and I'd be surprised if we went with Drogba given the season Tuna is having.

Signing Drogba is one way of dealing with our defensive problems...just score 4 goals a game

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kinnibari said:

Can't see it being Lampard after all the history with him

I'd think he's the most likely. I think (but stand to be corrected) that NYCFC fans didn't quite warm to him as expected because of his detour to Man City. CFG could draw a line in the sand on that debacle, move him on to us keep him in the family and then sign another big player for NYCFC that they don't detour to NYCFC.

4 minutes ago, Deeming said:

I'd think he's the most likely. I think (but stand to be corrected) that NYCFC fans didn't quite warm to him as expected because of his detour to Man City. CFG could draw a line in the sand on that debacle, move him on to us keep him in the family and then sign another big player for NYCFC that they don't detour to NYCFC.

I tend to agree with this. 

I think the link and CFG history makes it more likely if anything.

4 minutes ago, Deeming said:

Plus New Yorks midfield is too unbalanced because Pirlo refuses to run

5 minutes ago, Deeming said:

Plus New Yorks midfield is too unbalanced with him in it because Pirlo refuses to run

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Ashley Cole

Could be a possibly,  he got released from Roma yesterday and supposedly going to LA Galaxy.  But would a team loan him out to a Rival team's sister club?  And even more so,  any MLS player will miss the start of their season if they come to us for the  rest of ours. 

I believe we won't sign a player already playing in the MLS permently. But rather someone you might be getting interest from the MLS such as Cole. 

Edited by haz

44 minutes ago, Deeming said:

This theory is pretty sound tbh.

1 hour ago, millm103 said:

Koren, Williams to leave Melbourne City

Melbourne City are the A-League’s first big movers and shakers in this January Transfer window. THE TURF can reveal that both marquee Robert Koren and striker David Williams are set to leave the club. Meanwhile, midfielder Anthony Caceres is to join City’s ranks.

Robert Koren is on his way out from Melbourne City after an underwhelming marquee stint. Scoring only three goals in two season, the last being in 2014, City now feel that they’re not longer getting their money’s with his marquee status.

The 2015/16 season has seen him overshadowed by the likes of Harry Novillo, Bruno Fornarolli and Aaron Mooy who have spearheaded City’s attack. Appearing in only six fixtures this season, it appears that Koren has well and truly lost the patience of the City Football Group who have tabled him an early-release contract.

City are confident of Koren’s acceptance so they can sign a new marquee player to finish out the current A-League season. We’re hearing that City have their eye on a former Premier League player who is currently playing in the MLS.

Narrows it down to a handful of players.... 

Kaka just got a feeling.

If it's from the city group, Pirlo or Lampard would be a guess as I doubt we would try Villa again.

From MLS, Kaka is one option and on-field probably still a better player at this moment - but if we are talking a 'like' player (mid) who will probably be the biggest draw in A-league history (IMHO) as an individual player...and he was in the country not long ago...Gerrard!

Edited by CityHeart
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

Getting an MLS player will force them to miss the start of their own season which begins in March.

So more likely - if the rumour is true in the first place - that it's a transfer rather than a loan.

Quite frankly I'll believe it when I see it. There are that many rumours flying around that if you believed all of them we're about to replace half the squad...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Such as?

marriage break up. dislikes america. there was an artical about it not long ago when he was in the country.

going by some rule he cant be signed unless his toured the facilities met his team mates before he signs.

10 minutes ago, cadete said:

Anyone else wondering if Koren would have been as bad under another Manager?

I am sure the reality is probably still pretty darn shit but its worth some thought considering JVS record at killing players careers.

Did well in the UK with Hull you dont just become shit overnight (you dont play that many games in the UK i could be wrong and captain a club for as long as he did)!! Alot of the blame has to go to JVS the other part goes down to his injuries.

7 minutes ago, Ruckoo said:

To be fair he was injured that often we hardly got a chance to see him fully fit. Not really the managers fault.

Bit of both i think. No doubt there was also an issue between Koren and JVS last year which was probably never resolved. 

Resolution: get rid of both of them.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

marriage break up. dislikes america. there was an artical about it not long ago when he was in the country.

going by some rule he cant be signed unless his toured the facilities met his team mates before he signs.

Did well in the UK with Hull you dont just become shit overnight (you dont play that many games in the UK i could be wrong and captain a club for as long as he did)!! Alot of the blame has to go to JVS the other part goes down to his injuries.

Kaka would be great but I don't see us paying 10mil a season and you'd imagine a name that big signing. It would get leaked quick smart

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

Kaka would be great but I don't see us paying 10mil a season and you'd imagine a name that big signing. It would get leaked quick smart

Going by what Ange said about one of the biggest names ..... aint no bigger name then Kaka!!!

10mil is back pocket change for CFG and they want us in Asia so you just never know!! If it does go ahead im guessing a Guest stint and if we qualify for Asia theyll try and make it permanent

2 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Going by what Ange said about one of the biggest names ..... aint no bigger name then Kaka!!!

10mil is back pocket change for CFG and they want us in Asia so you just never know!! If it does go ahead im guessing a Guest stint and if we qualify for Asia theyll try and make it permanent

I know it on some levels it goes make sense. Ange makes that comment, then happened to be in the country for a holiday plus we are the only ones who could afford it and we are also about to be rid of Koren. But I still can't see it haha

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

I know it on some levels it goes make sense. Ange makes that comment, then happened to be in the country for a holiday plus we are the only ones who could afford it and we are also about to be rid of Koren. But I still can't see it haha

I`ll beleive it if and when it happens but going by all thats been said it sure does look like a possibility