Melbourne Football

***Help Keep the Red & White***

FB.

This is not over. The risk is that City will walk away if FFA makes things too hard. Or restrict their support of Heart in terms of marquees, facilities, coaching, etc. There are plenty of opportunities around the world, as their purchase of a stake in Yokohama shows. City does not benefit from Heart as much as we benefit from them.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

This is not over. The risk is that City will walk away if FFA makes things too hard. Or restrict their support of Heart in terms of marquees, faciilities, coaching, etc. There are plenty of opportunities around the world, as their purchase of a stake in Yokohama shows.

Agree with this. Has me a little worried, hopefully it won't happen

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

This is not over. The risk is that City will walk away if FFA makes things too hard. Or restrict their support of Heart in terms of marquees, facilities, coaching, etc. There are plenty of opportunities around the world, as their purchase of a stake in Yokohama shows. City does not benefit from Heart as much as we benefit from them.

This. City will push until they get their way.

Whilst many may be happy with the news it shows that a.) The new owners don't care about the current heart supporters and b.) They are determined to change the colours.

Imo holding onto the colours for a season while CFG force FFA into submission is worse than them being changed now.

• Like 1

This is pretty classic A-League. The FFA shutting down something that a club thinks is a right of it.

Thankfully the FFA can be pretty stubborn and unyielding, so I think things look pretty good.

I just thought it very unlikely that the FFA would weigh in in our favour in this instance. Maybe the old alleged bias of the FFA being Sydney-centric occurred and worked in our favour.

Assuming the FFA doesn't suddenly change its mind (which, as noted above, doesn't happen often), it looks like the only avenue left for Man City is to go to the Supreme Court, and I just don't quite see Man City making such a very big move over this issue (not least because it would really get offside with the FFA, and that wouldn't be a prudent move given the nature of the A-League and Australian football politics).

I think the statement from the club is an effort to hedge their bets, and to try and come away gracefully from this tussle. The club only issued a few sentences in its statement, and it all of a sudden highlighted its intent to be faithful to the club's traditions on the issue of club colour:

"The club remains in constructive discussions with the FFA on a range of matters relating to its future plans including its playing strips," it read. "On the matter of colours, as we have said previously, any decisions made in relation to the club's identity will be guided by the traditions of our existing fan base, including their passion for red and white, and the opportunities provided by our new ownership."

I think things are looking pretty good, for next season at least, and I'm very happy with that. I can't wait to see Heart smash victory in Red and White again next season!

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

I just don't see City chucking everything away here over the issue of the club's home jersey colour for next season. And I think the statement they've made is a late attempt to try and gracefully resume business.

Sometimes circumstances just get in the way, and prevent even the most powerful organisation from fulfilling their wishes. It seems that Man City has also been thwarted in New York City, with their plan to built a new stadium, which goes to show that City won't always get what it wants and what it had planned for. And really, that's just the nature of business, but good businesses stick with things and thrive nonetheless. So in my judgement I don't see City throwing a hissyfit, packing up their toys and going away.

You're right though that ultimately Heart need City more than City needs Heart, but still I don't think they'll massively switch course immediately over this issue of jersey colour just for next season. And I don't think that City will "take it out on the fans/club" and spend less on the club (they'll still probably want to loan their young players here, so that would hurt the development of their young players if they did that anyway).

Put me on record, I'm now pretty confident that Heart will wear Red and White next season, and I don't see Man City significantly changing their management of the club because of that fact.

Edited by Murfy1

I don't understand you people.

You talk about how proud you are of hearts short history, and care so much enough that some of you donate to the 'keep the red and white 'campaign and yet, when we're given good news regarding the colors all you can talk about is how city are more important to us than we are to them, completely forgetting about this proud history you have tried to save.

These people are not willing to compromise one little bit, so i say fuck em, if they cared so much about the fans as they are saying, they would've left the colours alone. Even if they decided to pull out, do you honestly think there is no market for a professional sporting team in Melbourne? We'd be snapped up in seconds.

There is no world were city can be owners, and we can keep the red and white, so choose what side you are on.

• Like 1

For those that are happy about the FFA blocking this move, one must look at the risks in this decision.

Many fans seem to want CFG to make huge investment in the club, yet are against one of the key strategic initiatives they appear to want to utilise.

The bad blood that seems to be developing with the FFA may well be very bad news for us really if it continues. If it all gets too hard, you can kiss that money goodbye and you will see us in limbo again in no time.

Something so small in some people's eyes may well be enough to change course, which will likely be to the detriment of the original ambition, especially for people who may well consider us a "philanthropic" act.

The other thing, SFC appears to have a lot of control on decision making it seems, which raises some interesting questions. Why are there 3 teams with red in a 10 team comp? Why are WSW allowed to use a red and white alternate strip? For SFC to be allowed to claim sky blue for themselves is a big call really.

Numerous factors at play with interesting (worrying) possible consequences.

Edited by Heart_fan

Slightly more worried about this whole situation now then I was before. The idea of this going to court makes me feel sick. Don't understand how the press release by the owners can still say that all decisions will take into account fan wishes, especially the passion over red and white. We know that's complete bullshit now, if we didn't already. I'm really over CFG already. Beginning to wish they hadn't taken us over to be completely honest.

• Like 1

For those that are happy about the FFA blocking this move, one must look at the risks in this decision.

Many fans seem to want CFG to make huge investment in the club, yet are against one of the key strategic initiatives they appear to want to utilise.

The bad blood that seems to be developing may well be very bad news for us really if it continues. If it all gets too hard, you can kiss that money goodbye and you will see us in limbo again in no time.

Something so small in some people's eyes may well be enough to change course from the detriment of the original ambition for people who may well consider us a "philanthropic" act.

The other thing, SFC appears to have a lot of control on decision making it seems, which raises some interesting questions. Why are there 3 teams with red in a 10 team comp? Why are WSW allowed to use a red and white alternate strip? For SFC to be allowed to claim sky blue for themselves is a big call really.

What limbo are you talking about? We're one of the few clubs even under the old owners who kept breaking even

• Like 1

Happy Days, thank you FFA. I think that CFG have gone about this in the wrong way. The clever way would be to become successful, become a very big franchise, demonstrate what you have brought to the HAL and then speak about a colour change

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

I am rapt that we'll get to keep our colours (for now...) but this article has infuriated me a little.

From what's been written it seems that City are pushing relentlessly for this, and with all their crap (even in the quote Murphy has posted) about respecting us and our passion for the colours I feel like we're being treated like mugs here.

They don't respect us or the colours and are seemingly intent on continuing to push the envelope until they get their way. I don't see why they can't give us a sky blue away kit and use that in all their 'City Family' marketing crap.

I too am starting to wish City had never bought us.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

The bad blood that seems to be developing may well be very bad news for us really if it continues. If it all gets too hard, you can kiss that money goodbye and you will see us in limbo again in no time.

Something so small in some people's eyes may well be enough to change course from the detriment of the original ambition for people who may well consider us a "philanthropic" act.

What limbo are you talking about? We're one of the few clubs even under the old owners who kept breaking even Probably Because they didn't spend any money ahah Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

Whatever the implications, this is the right decision. It was right for Sydney FC to fight for their identity. And it was right for the FFA to prioritise the competition as a whole ahead of one of it's licence holders.

The only disappointing thing is that our owners seem so determined to fight it, despite opposition from the club's fans, Sydney, and the FFA.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

Kingofhearts, we only made money though running as a cut price operation and selling players, which had people crying out for better things on a constant basis.

For so long all we kept hearing was rumours that the owners were looking to walk away, sell the club and other constant negativity.

So yes, we made money but at what cost?

Can´t see this being anything but a slight irritation for CFG even if they intended to change the home colours.. or, being the cynic I am, they know that it will make the name/badge change pass without a protest and somewhere down the line say 5-10 years from now things will be like they wanted it anyway.

But it´s rather funny that it will make it two "blue" clubs, two "red&white" if we include Aljazira FC, and one "red&blue" in Japan :lol:

SFC and WSW are in Sydney, is there anywhere else that figures in the FFA decision making process?

Look the way I see it I think it makes sense for us to stay red and white and have a sky blue away. Think about it. Keep the red and white and keep the club's fans happy, you can still chuck man city logos all over the ground and on the kit and what have you, everyone at Swan Street will know who man city is so no need to promote them more with a sky blue kit. Rather, use the sky blue kit for every away game you can, get the man city brand to spread all over the country, and when we go to Asia I think city would rather us wear sky blue away in Tokyo or Beijing than our red and white away kit. It all makes perfect sense really. 

Good outcome where not only we get what most of us prefer but a win for common sense in a small scale competition where colours are linked to not only teams but have distinctive state wide implications, Well done FFA!

Terrace will kick off new season with maximum dedication, support and excitement

Don't even care if they splash/use small amount of blue with red and white being the predominant colour.

Ps I never though it was possible to have FFA and common sense in the same sentence

Kingofhearts, we only made money though running as a cut price operation and selling players, which had people crying out for better things on a constant basis.

For so long all we kept hearing was rumours that the owners were looking to walk away, sell the club and other constant negativity.

True, but at least fan wise the old owners actually cared about is, they had a good relationship with yarraside (from what i have read on here anyway) and constantly valued our opinion through surveys for example, unlike these new owners who don't give a fuck about us and are willing to shove a colour change down our throat with the least bit of consultation with us.

Surely we can find owners out there who are willing to invest AND keep the club the same?

True, but at least fan wise the old owners actually cared about is, they had a good relationship with yarraside (from what i have read on here anyway) and constantly valued our opinion through surveys for example, unlike these new owners who don't give a fuck about us and are willing to shove a colour change down our throat with the least bit of consultation with us.

Surely we can find owners out there who are willing to invest AND keep the club the same?

They probably bought us because we were a sinking ship.

If there can be no color change, Heart would decrease or be non existant when it comes to attract sponsordeals  This will not only damage the city brand but it will damage Heart greatly because the resources will be low. But if you are happy with that then ok..   Just imagine any brand in the world who aspire to global domination, how they would react if the colour of the brand can be used on all place accept Australia   I would never invest in a market where my brand has been comprimised,  its like coca cola cant be red.