Melbourne Football

Matchday 25: vs Brisbane Roar @ Suncorp Stadium Friday 28th March 7:00pm (8:00am GMT)

GreenSeater

If we had a proper striker today we'd have been up 3-0 within the first 20 minutes, even against Brisbane that would be game over.

Insert a class 10 and 9 into this team and we go from being bottom 3 to top 4 in my eyes, even if the majority of the current side is retained. I know that sounds insanely optimistic but most the games we've made a mess of in the last few weeks (with the exception of Newcastle, even though that was a slim loss we played nowhere near well enough to complain about that result) could have been resolved if we actually had a player who could finish off his chances and a player who could pick apart defences. Aside from that, we haven't actually been that bad and that's what really frustrates me the most.

Oh, and Williams better be on a salary reflective of someone who is coming off the bench/working damn hard to even earn a starting spot.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 3

Wasn't able to watch the game cause i was at the footy, but i was able to watch the highlights and it didn't seem like i missed too much.

That first goal we conceded was by far, the softest goal concede by a team this season. The second goal wasn't much better (considering they only had 10 men) but was a typical heart goal to concede.

I think that a lot of players have been told that they will be moved on next season, just seems like we've been in a lull since the derby. Has to be the reason we are playing so poorly, how can we go from dismantling teams 4-0 to losing games against 10 men? At least i hope this is the reason  :wacko:

My advice to all heart fans, don't expect anything out of the last two games of the season, watch the team and support the boys, because this may be the last team we see Melbourne heart run out onto the pitch.

Btw, how did the Williams go? Don't see any people defending him so i take it that he played like shit? If so, hate justified B)

Wasn't able to watch the game cause i was at the footy, but i was able to watch the highlights and it didn't seem like i missed too much.

That first goal we conceded was by far, the softest goal concede by a team this season. The second goal wasn't much better (considering they only had 10 men) but was a typical heart goal to concede.

I think that a lot of players have been told that they will be moved on next season, just seems like we've been in a lull since the derby. Has to be the reason we are playing so poorly, how can we go from dismantling teams 4-0 to losing games against 10 men? At least i hope this is the reason  :wacko:

My advice to all heart fans, don't expect anything out of the last two games of the season, watch the team and support the boys, because this may be the last team we see Melbourne heart run out onto the pitch.

Btw, how did the Williams go? Don't see any people defending him so i take it that he played like shit? If so, hate justified B)

I don't think you're gonna hear many arguments in the next 6-7 days mate haha

• Like 1

The sky is hardly falling down. Sure it's season over (has been since Aloisi fucked us imo), but there were some great signs. For the first 30 mins we looked the best team in the league by a mile (except Williams and his finishing). This says to me players are being sent out with specific instructions and actually fulfilling them. This is something to work on. I'm sure a few of those players have been told and played like lazy fuckers. There was also the trade mark brain fades but credit to Brisbane they are where we want to be. Not through luck or decisions. They are top because they play week in week out to a well constructed plan for 90 minutes. We played 30 tonight 60 more to go.

I didn't even realise Ramsay was playing until he was subbed off. Did he touch the ball?

Couple of times with retarded effect.

The rest of the time he was too busy chasing Misfud's record for "how many offsides can I get today"

Between Mifsud, Williams, Ramsay and Dugandzic they would would have missed around 100 genuine goal scoring opportunities, and thats no exaggeration. As bad as Aloisi was theses guys ultimately killed this season off and Aloisi's coaching career. The coach can't be out there and make you hit a 7 meter wide target from 5 meters out. They all should be disgusted with themselves.

I didn't even realise Ramsay was playing until he was subbed off. Did he touch the ball?

Couple of times with retarded effect.

The rest of the time he was too busy chasing Misfud's record for "how many offsides can I get today"

I thought Mate was the one chasing the offside record. He spent the first 30 mins offside last night.

Thats the opposite of what JVS intimated on SBS's post match interview.

We worry about Berisha everytime (major roff at the red) but its fkn Henrique that can't stop scoring against us

Agree with that, but it was Berisha who brought us down.  Deliberately going in studs up at Velaphi's face so he could get another red and allow Brisbane to sit back and murder us.

Between Mifsud, Williams, Ramsay and Dugandzic they would would have missed around 100 genuine goal scoring opportunities, and thats no exaggeration. As bad as Aloisi was theses guys ultimately killed this season off and Aloisi's coaching career. The coach can't be out there and make you hit a 7 meter wide target from 5 meters out. They all should be disgusted with themselves.

Very much this

+ one must take into consideration these guys have only A league quality defence to deal with.

Sure you can't expect them to score every single chance they get.

However I expect them to score with at least 30% better accuracy.

This would have easily left us possibly in top 4 spot as most of the games we lost were only by a smallest margin.

They are guilty of being bloody very ordinary and increasing my addiction to alcohol for all the wrong reasons

Edited by Jestr

This game like many others before it depicts our season, I think we all got court up in the hype when we were on that run of 6 wins including the media. But who were we kidding. JVS post game said as much when he said we need to lift the level. After this season I completely agree with Andy Harper comments on Fox Sports "The Heart have got a heap of work to do in the off season"

If we as a club are going to start competing for silverware from next season onwards there are major things that need changing starting with the club culture and installing a winning mentality a cross the playing list...

ManCity if your listening... WE WONT TO BE SUCCESSFUL ....no more bullshit !!!!

• Like 1

same old same old

hit the post twice, some bullshit misses when we need to make the keeper work

I could go on and on

I tell you what

I'll cut and paste from last weeks match, the comments will be almost the same

We have chances to take a match and just blow them

All of us wanting a squad clean-out and somewhat expecting are probably going to be disappointed.  Surprised no-one else pick up on JVS's psot match interview where he said what we saw tonight will be the bulk of the squad, with the exception of going in to the market for a quality player or two.

Didn't see the press conference afterwards, but would be very worried if this is the case. Too many passengers on our team.

All of us wanting a squad clean-out and somewhat expecting are probably going to be disappointed.  Surprised no-one else pick up on JVS's psot match interview where he said what we saw tonight will be the bulk of the squad, with the exception of going in to the market for a quality player or two.

Didn't see the press conference afterwards, but would be very worried if this is the case. Too many passengers on our team.

I heard different comments post-match. What I heard was:

"This is not want we want, not good enough"

"To start immediately on a high and be playing for the top positions. That's what we want, that's what we'll work hard for"

and

"Adding, hopefully, with some quality, or secure some quality players to lift the team [next season]" 

Heard nothing about only 1 or 2 good signings. And as Heart will have at least several free spots for next season (as I mention in the 2014-15 thread), Heart are bound to have more handy signings then that.
  • Like 4

"To start immediately on a high and be playing for the top positions. That's what we want, that's what we'll work hard for"

and

"Adding, hopefully, with some quality, or secure some quality players to lift the team [next season]" 

Heard nothing about only 1 or 2 good signings. And as Heart will have at least several free spots for next season (as I mention in the 2014-15 thread), Heart are bound to have more handy signings then that.

Agree with you Murf. I just listened again, twice.

Would add "Almost all (the players you saw on the pitch) will be contracted for next season." and later "Almost all will be playing next year."

And the key sentence "This team ... playing next year adding hopefully some quality or secure some quality players..."

"Second goal not acceptable."

"Learn first to finish...more clinical..."

"Don't give away two goals that easy."

So, at least one of those playing yesterday will not be there next season. We hope to add "some" quality players. And he's quite adamant that our performance was "not good enough" (repeated several times).

Just looking at the highlights, IMO it was really crappy defending for both their goals. For the first I would have labelled the main culprit to be Engelaar. For the second it all stemmed from a totally wasted corner, and then the main culprits were Kisnorbo and then Velaphi - the latter went in feet first instead of spreading himself in front of the player with the ball.

The penalty? The referee had no alternative. Berisha could consider himself unlucky but his boot with studs up connected with Velaphi's face, so no alternative.

Edited by jw1739

and

Would add "Almost all (the players you saw on the pitch) will be contracted for next season." and later "Almost all will be playing next year."

And the key sentence "This team ... playing next year adding hopefully some quality or secure some quality players..."

Yes thats what I heard him say post match on SBS.

Well here's the team sheet:

1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK)

3.Robbie WIELAERT ©

4.Orlando ENGELAAR

6.Patrick GERHARDT

7.Iain RAMSAY

8.Massimo MURDOCCA

13.Jonatan GERMANO

15.David WILLIAMS

16. Aziz BEHICH

17.Jason HOFFMAN

19.Benjamin GARUCCIO

20.Tando VELAPHI (GK)

21.Stefan MAUK

22.Nicholas KALMAR

23.Mate DUGANDZIC

24.Patrick KISNORBO

28. Paulo RETRE 

Those that didn't play Retre, Redmayne, Germano (?)  squad members: Mitchinson, Walker, Vrankovic Kewell and Mifsud. 

All other than Mifsud and maybe Redmayne are on minimum wages.

Willams is no longer Aus marquee so we have space there.  I reckon Engelaar and Gerhadt are both gone.

So other than Aus marquee and international marquee, and maybe a replacement of Gerhadt @ $350 k( hardly big dollars anyway) where re you going to find the salary cap space to fit an extra 5 players and them still be "quality".

Mooy is allegedly signed and under the cap. Add Australian Marquee, International marquee, Youth Marquee. That would be 4 quality players.

I'm still not convinced Wielaert is signed for next year. Transfermarkt says no. Behich back to Turkey.

You need to add Archibald, but he'll be on the minimum.

I think you are probably right with Engelaar and Gerhardt.

Still plenty of question marks!

Edit: I guess that the other thing to add is that JvS said (paraphrase) "...most of those you saw on the field today are contracted for next season."

So if we take those 17:

1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK) - known to be contracted

3.Robbie WIELAERT © ??
4.Orlando ENGELAAR - marquee - out of contract
6.Patrick GERHARDT - out of contract
7.Iain RAMSAY - contracted
8.Massimo MURDOCCA - contracted
13.Jonatan GERMANO- ??
15.David WILLIAMS - contracted
16. Aziz BEHICH - returns to Turkey
17.Jason HOFFMAN - contracted
19.Benjamin GARUCCIO - probably contracted
20.Tando VELAPHI (GK) - contracted
21.Stefan MAUK - probably contracted
22.Nicholas KALMAR- ??
23.Mate DUGANDZIC- ??
24.Patrick KISNORBO - out of contract
28. Paulo RETRE - ?? 

It's a question of what he meant by "most." My interpretation would be 13-15. JvS was born in Canada and lived there until he was 7. Sometimes I think he might be deliberately vague with his English!

Edited by jw1739

With the Australian marquee who would we get? Which quality Aussie is out there?

J. Kennedy - if we get him we become predictable.

M. Brecisiono - we run the risk of another 35yr old having injury concerns.

International Marquee we could get anyone... This will be the biggest decision JVS will make because we as supporters are sick of the marketing shit.

Youth Marquee - is that a player under the age of 23? What are the restrictions around that?

As far as the visa players we have currently they all should be assessed on their impact as players for the heart and there fitness?

Mooy is allegedly signed and under the cap. Add Australian Marquee, International marquee, Youth Marquee. That would be 4 quality players.

I'm still not convinced Wielaert is signed for next year. Transfermarkt says no. Behich back to Turkey.

You need to add Archibald, but he'll be on the minimum.

I think you are probably right with Engelaar and Gerhardt.

Still plenty of question marks!

Pretty much agree with this. Heart will acquire several new quality/good players (call them what you wish, you know them when you see them) by getting: 1 international marquee, 1 Australian marquee, Aaron Mooy, Youth/under 23 marquee (150k outside the cap), 2 or 3 good signings with the decent amount of money left in the salary cap and 1 or 2 loan players (IMO, I reckon we'll get 1 or 2). So I can easily Heart getting 7 to 9 good players and potential starters for next season.

Another interesting little fact to remember is that David Davutovic reported that since the takeover Heart--twice-- approached Erik Paartalu with the intention of signing him for next season. Paartalu certainly wouldn't be a minimum wage or cheap signing, so that's one more reminder that Heart should have a respectable amount of room left under the cap for recruiting new players.

and

Yes thats what I heard him say post match on SBS.

Well here's the team sheet:

1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK)

3.Robbie WIELAERT ©

4.Orlando ENGELAAR

6.Patrick GERHARDT

7.Iain RAMSAY

8.Massimo MURDOCCA

13.Jonatan GERMANO

15.David WILLIAMS

16. Aziz BEHICH

17.Jason HOFFMAN

19.Benjamin GARUCCIO

20.Tando VELAPHI (GK)

21.Stefan MAUK

22.Nicholas KALMAR

23.Mate DUGANDZIC

24.Patrick KISNORBO

28. Paulo RETRE 

Those that didn't play Retre, Redmayne, Germano (?)  squad members: Mitchinson, Walker, Vrankovic Kewell and Mifsud. 

All other than Mifsud and maybe Redmayne are on minimum wages.

Willams is no longer Aus marquee so we have space there.  I reckon Engelaar and Gerhadt are both gone.

So other than Aus marquee and international marquee, and maybe a replacement of Gerhadt @ $350 k( hardly big dollars anyway) where re you going to find the salary cap space to fit an extra 5 players and them still be "quality".

Behich and Gerhardt are probably gone.

Velaphi, Hoffman, Germano, Kalmar and probably Redmayne would all be on minimum or at least low wages.

Garuccio and Mauk would be on youth wages (about 40k). If Retre or other NYL players join the senior squad, they'll be paid outside the salary cap, as there is a +3 rule allowing A-League clubs to sign 3 NYL players outside the salary cap on base wages.

A number of players will be on middling wages and won't take a big chunk out of the salary cap. Such middle range players include: Murdocca, Ramsay, Dugandzic, Kisnorbo, Wielaert (given his age, he wouldn't get much).

The only players that I could conceive of being on 'big wages' inside the salary cap next season are: Williams (maybe 200k or 300k at very most), Mooy and Engelaar.

I actually find it hard to calculate which players could be expensive. Heart has already negotiated David Williams down on from marquee wages to wages inside the salary cap, and I expect numerous other Heart player wages to get negotiated down as well.

So by my back-of-the-envelope math, Heart should have a reasonable amount of room inside the cap, maybe half a million or more by my rough estimate, with several free spots. After 3 marquees and Man City loan players, I reckon there's pretty good money to spend on a few salary cap players.

• Like 2

I hope you're right.  Robbie seems a top bloke, but is not the rock i thought we had signed and I can't see us winning the league with him as "the man" at the back.  We need a better option.

Too annoyed to comment earlier. Tried watching the game again but could only last the first fifteen minutes. Some observations on those first fifteen minutes:

1. Heart players went to ground six times compared to Roars 1

2. Roar had a very high rate of passes completed vs heart unable to find a team mate

3.  most of those passes were creative vs heart bombing the ball (a few times directly to roar players)

4. Heart easily outmuscled off the ball

5. Williams can't finish

6. Heart can't create space

Earlier on the season I remember reading on 442 that when Gombau took over at AU he went right back to basics - like how to kick the ball, headers, etc. One of my frustrations with the team is that they screw up the simple basic stuff that should have been nailed in the under 14s. Perhaps JVS can take a tip from Gombau and begin teaching his signed up squad members how to do the basic stuff. After all I don't care whether you have Messi in the team, if his team mates can't find him, can't pass to him can't assist him then you may as well have me on the pitch.

• Like 1