Melbourne Football

Matchday 20: vs Brisbane @AMMI park 5pm Sunday 23 February

Fentonthescreamingcactus

Have to agree. I wasn't expecting 10k but I figured we might at least hit the 8k mark similar to the first couple of home games.

Sunday is just a shit timeslot. Bit of talk around on twitter tha people really struggle to make it.Me, personally, I work every Sunday so I just rule a line through them and catch it on tv from the office.I'd love for us to play more Saturdays at home.

Yeah don't worry that thought didn't escape me. Not sure why it is though. Do that many people work on a Sunday afternoon?

500k people at white knight on Saturday, would of been good to play before that. Still think 7.8k is alright for a Sunday arvo.

No way! never would have got parking

We went to something at he Botanic Garden on White Night that we had booked weeks ago

we spent over an hour trying to get parking.

We ended up in Cecil Street Sth Melbourne

5pm is a crap time for me as a parent as that is right when I need to start feeding/putting my kid to sleep. I still manage to get some games but all these games at that time is very hard to make all of them. 3pm or 7.30pm are much better times for me and I would think for anyone with very young kids.

I don't know what the statistics show on attendances, but for me Sunday afternoon is the worst time. Sort of day that there are "family and friends" events, such as barbeques, long Sunday lunches etc., and also Public Transport shutdowns (buses instead of trains).

After the Derby, the next two home games are on Sunday afternoons, one clashing with the Grand Prix.

With Heart's record over these four seasons I can't see us getting big crowds on Sundays until we've established ourselves as Premiership contenders on a regular basis.

Thought we were ordinary for long periods, but our defensive structure held them out effectively.

Long ball shit in the first half was pathetic. Engelaar couldn't get near it because we were bypassing the midfield. JVS must've gotten the 'Hold the ball' whiteboard out again at half time because it was much improved.

Mate showing more signs of his old self under JVS. Needs to improve his finishing.

David Williams largely anonymous. Still better than Mifsud.

All of this aside, it was a great result for the club and a very tense atmosphere in the last 25 mins. Huge roar at the final whistle. I love this club.

• Like 1

Just home and stoked. Really impressed with the win and think we fully deserved our win - more chances, more damaging attempts and generally more intent. A fair result.

Just saw Mulvey briefly on Fox Sports news and not overly complimentary - called us a "one trick pony" in the first half and said "we were bottom for a reason". He normally comes across as a decent bloke so will reserve judgement until I dig out the full presser, but smacked of sour grapes. As Barcelona found out last night, possession domination doesn't always equal success, and sometimes pragmatism and a plan can nullify this.

The first fifteen minutes were pretty strong and I thought we reverted to the JA long ball game for the next 30. Last year we had Brisbane's measure with the quick break - so I wonder if JVS had looked at the old tapes, but today it clearly wasn't working. The change in the second half was fantastic and we were much stronger - good coaching to get Engelaar to present and well done by the players to respond.

Obvious cudos to the two Paddy's at the back - both played brilliantly and snuffed out pretty well everything. Impressed Aziz looked quick today - something not seen for a while. And enjoyed Broich and Stefanuto trying together to unlock Hoff's side of the park for the whole of the first half and most of the second. Definitely a few nervy moments - but again like Mass he is clearly fitter than pretty well everyone in the squad. Still don't think he's a solution going forward and will be interesting to see who steps up for Aziz next week. I felt really nervous when two DMs were substituted for two AMs - I think we lost a bit of defensive focus and Kalmar just didn't impress for his cameo.

I like the talk above about the structure. Fwiw I think it's generally a 4-4-2 defensively and in transition with a rotating diamond (occasionally flatter if we're pressed) and so suddenly Engelaar can be at the back of the diamond as the anchoring DM and a minute later at the top of the diamond as the AM. This way someone is always presenting in possession, or closing rapidly if pressing. Ramsay rarely pressured with Brisbane coming out (Willo and Duga did this) but transitioning forward he is given free licence to push up the park and Mass or Germano would drop in behind him to give support. (I think Rambo was lazy under JA - this move has made him more accountable and I get the feeling JVS won't put up with lack of effort or intensity. He's a different player.). It's pragmatic, always moving creating difficulty to match up, and still gives licence for the quick break if available. I just love how JVS has changed this team and got them thinking and working for each other. He just strikes me as very clever what he's done with this team.

So to Victory with two socceroos in the midfield. Now tactically this will be a ripper. Can't wait.

Really good summary. TBH after a bright start I thought we were very ordinary for the first half - back to that old floating long-ball rubbish that we endured for so long. My feeling was that a goal to Brisbane at that stage would have put them on their way. Second half much better, but I have to say both Murdocca and Hoffman gave the ball away on quite a number of occasions - as soon as we start going backwards we get ourselves into trouble. Even Engelaar was guilty of over-embroidery on several occasions. I feel JvS has a blind-spot with Kalmar - he contributed virtually nothing and he's just getting more ponderous with every game.

Have to say I admire Berisha - he is just so difficult to knock off the ball - and that tackle by Kisnorbo was the defining moment of the game.

Great result, but we were not at our best and JvS has plenty to work on.

Edited by jw1739

Just home and stoked. Really impressed with the win and think we fully deserved our win - more chances, more damaging attempts and generally more intent. A fair result.

Just saw Mulvey briefly on Fox Sports news and not overly complimentary - called us a "one trick pony" in the first half and said "we were bottom for a reason". He normally comes across as a decent bloke so will reserve judgement until I dig out the full presser, but smacked of sour grapes. As Barcelona found out last night, possession domination doesn't always equal success, and sometimes pragmatism and a plan can nullify this.

The first fifteen minutes were pretty strong and I thought we reverted to the JA long ball game for the next 30. Last year we had Brisbane's measure with the quick break - so I wonder if JVS had looked at the old tapes, but today it clearly wasn't working. The change in the second half was fantastic and we were much stronger - good coaching to get Engelaar to present and well done by the players to respond.

Obvious cudos to the two Paddy's at the back - both played brilliantly and snuffed out pretty well everything. Impressed Aziz looked quick today - something not seen for a while. And enjoyed Broich and Stefanuto trying together to unlock Hoff's side of the park for the whole of the first half and most of the second. Definitely a few nervy moments - but again like Mass he is clearly fitter than pretty well everyone in the squad. Still don't think he's a solution going forward and will be interesting to see who steps up for Aziz next week. I felt really nervous when two DMs were substituted for two AMs - I think we lost a bit of defensive focus and Kalmar just didn't impress for his cameo.

I like the talk above about the structure. Fwiw I think it's generally a 4-4-2 defensively and in transition with a rotating diamond (occasionally flatter if we're pressed) and so suddenly Engelaar can be at the back of the diamond as the anchoring DM and a minute later at the top of the diamond as the AM. This way someone is always presenting in possession, or closing rapidly if pressing. Ramsay rarely pressured with Brisbane coming out (Willo and Duga did this) but transitioning forward he is given free licence to push up the park and Mass or Germano would drop in behind him to give support. (I think Rambo was lazy under JA - this move has made him more accountable and I get the feeling JVS won't put up with lack of effort or intensity. He's a different player.). It's pragmatic, always moving creating difficulty to match up, and still gives licence for the quick break if available. I just love how JVS has changed this team and got them thinking and working for each other. He just strikes me as very clever what he's done with this team.

So to Victory with two socceroos in the midfield. Now tactically this will be a ripper. Can't wait.

Really good summary. TBH after a bright start I thought we were very ordinary for the first half - back to that old floating long-ball rubbish that we endured for so long. My feeling was that a goal to Brisbane at that stage would have put them on their way. Second half much better, but I have to say both Murdocca and Hoffman gave the ball away on quite a number of occasions - as soon as we start going backwards we get ourselves into trouble. Even Engelaar was guilty of over-embroidery on several occasions. I feel JvS has a blind-spot with Kalmar - he contributed virtually nothing and he's just getting more ponderous with every game.

Have to say I admire Berisha - he is just so difficult to knock off the ball - and that tackle by Kisnorbo was the defining moment of the game.

I still think after a sleep that it was the Roars pressing the forced us back and panicked the players in to super quick decisions. For some of these players that means going long as a first thought. I don't think it was a plan as the first 15 mins didn't play out that way. As you say it was important we didn't concede in that 30 min period.

Kalmar did put the bull through to Duga for that missed chance in the 84th minute and held the ball okay when he came on. Serviceable player but doesn't really add anything different when he comes on other then fresh legs.

Personally I think the long ball was a tactical thing to try and minimize Brisbane's pressing game rather then a case of the players panicking under pressure. 

I was sitting at pitch level and the pitch was the worst I've ever seen it.  The ball was bobbing up and down at the players' feet.  I think that affected both teams ability to dribble and hold on to the ball.

I agree about the long balls as being reactive to the pressure Roar applied.  May not have been noticeable on TV, but Roar do hunt in packs when they don't have the ball and gave our boys very little time.  Having said that, the movement off the ball was not as good as previous games under JVS, which made it more difficult for us to keep possession.

Physically I saw a difference in the two teams. Gerhadt, Engelaar, Kisnorbo aside, we lack players with lower body strength.  Mass, Mate, Ramsay, Aziz, Hoff, Germano all lost 50-50 tackles more often than not.  Steffanuto, North, Franjic, Smith,  Donachie, Bratten, Berisha:  their bigger muscle bulk on the legs was obvious.  All these players have a low center of gravity, that makes it hard to knock them off balance and they hold the ball in tackle better.  Interestingly Kalmar is built this way and he did hold the ball better when he came on.  Roar have been the best team 3 out of the last 4 season and the club needs to look at this.  

• Like 2

I agree with everything except Kalmar.

What he did do was add some steel in to the midfield.  Yes he looks slow, but he's not an easy player to disposess, unlike Germano or Murdocca who were both guilty of losing the ball in tackles.

Engelaar may have over done it but I saw him actually looking for support that simply wasn't there, due to lack of off the ball movement by team mates.  He then had to resort to trickery to get himself out .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree as above

I think Kalmar did an ok job when he came on, should have put his free header on target though

I'm going to be crucified for this but Mass is very heavy with his first touch

I love how he buzzes around and is involved in the play, but his first touch lets him down, the ball is invariably 2 metres away from him and he is dispossed, plus he gets pushed of the ball easily.

that said, he gets through a mountain of running and makes himself available and is in for tackles, plus he sets a level for others to follow

waiting for the knives !

No knives needed. He does have some touches each game that are very heavy and he does lose the ball at least couple times each game where he just shouldn't. But in saying that you have to remember that he does see a lot of the ball during a game and with that he can make more errors than others, but his touch/error ratio is probably no worse off than others.

What is important though is where on the pitch he has had a poor touch. Like yesterday, one of those came in our attacking third where he turned the ball over with a poor pass and allowed roar to counter and outnumber us. A foul from Ramsey(pretty sure it as him) before they could reach the half way line stopped them, but cost him a yellow.

I didn't come to this game as i was too busy with a ''one for the team'' wide camel toe on Sat. However, i watched the highlights and the performance and atmosphere was great. If only we started / played like this at the beginning of the season.

I feel a couple of good signings before the start of next season and we will be up there in the top four no doubt. If we win our next game against the ''Berty blue nose scum'' then i will buzz my big man boobs off!! Fukin avin it large!! :D  :P  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I can't remember the last time we had a clean sheet for two weeks in a row...

Last week was our first clean sheet win in over 12 months.

Have to agree. I wasn't expecting 10k but I figured we might at least hit the 8k mark similar to the first couple of home games.

I think things like White Night are a bit of a lame excuse. Just because it went until 7am, doesn't mean people had to be there until 7am. Personally, the cynic in me is wondering more whether they just don't feel the need to artifically inflate the attendance figures now that the team is playing good football. Some of those announced 5-6k crowds late last year looked extremely dubious and nowhere near that close in size to what we got yesterday, at least from where I was sitting.

It think regarding the number attended and visually how many it looks like attended comes down to where people are situated. This game it looked like there were more poeple in the north and south ends while on the wings there looked to be a less than let's say against sydney. So in saying that sometimes the number doesn't look right because people are seated in different areas making it look like there's more/less.

Edited by n i k o

I can't remember the last time we had a clean sheet for two weeks in a row...

Last week was our first clean sheet win in over 12 months.

Nope.

12/10/13 Melbourne Victory 0 - 0 Melbourne Heart

05/01/14 Central Coast 0 - 0 Melbourne Heart

Roff, same old LR9...

Edited by LR9

Again great tactics by JVS. Brisbane were not allowed to settle. Broich was well covered and while they had obviously decided to sit on Engelaar and Williams we just seemed to have players to move forward. Sure the last 30 min of the first half were a bit like the old Heart but when JVS pushed Engelaar higher in the second half it all happened. I am loving JVS more and more. Now let's smash the tards on Saturday.

Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with using the longer balls, if it's part of your tactical plan. The key is to know when to change it of it's not working. Yesterday in the first half we could have had a goal with that tactic, but we didn't so jvs changed it up and kudos to him for recognising this. The rest is history.

• Like 2

Have read a fair bit of whinging from Brisbane fans about our long ball work/tackling disrupting their possession game, makes the win all the sweeter. People can whinge about negative tactics all they like but if you're not able to overcome those then you don't deserve to win.

I don't want to see us walking out and playing long ball every week like we did under JA but there are clearly circumstances with this current squad where we'll need to adjust the possession based game we're trying to build on and approach our opposition in a different manner. Our tactics worked better on the day and we took the 3 points as a result, on to the next one now.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

Have read a fair bit of whinging from Brisbane fans about our long ball work/tackling disrupting their possession game, makes the win all the sweeter. People can whinge about negative tactics all they like but if you're not able to overcome those then you don't deserve to win.

I don't want to see us walking out and playing long ball every week like we did under JA but there are clearly circumstances with this current squad where we'll need to adjust the possession based game we're trying to build on and approach our opposition in a different manner. Our tactics worked better on the day and we took the 3 points as a result, on to the next one now.

Its the same whinging thats heard from MV fans too when teams don't leave the whole field open for them to play.

The game isn't about letting teams play the way they want to, it is about trying to play against the opposition's tactics. If they don't get that, they don't get the game.

I was pleased that we mixed things up in the 2nd half and took the game to them. We worked harder than them, passed better than them and played football better than them yesterday. Was great to see.

• Like 1

the 63% would mostly come from that 30 minute period in the first half. I am a big supporter of how the Dutch Roar play the game and I hate teams sitting back and just doing nothing but breaking up the play. Through that prism I never got the feeling we were being overly negative. The second half was very even with both teams playing similar games with similar results.

The sign of a good side that is very well coached is where the tactics change to suit the circumstances of the day. I haven't yet seen the game but if JVS shifted the side around to frustrate the Roarcelona style and allow us to get a result then JVS and lads deserve heaps of kudos. I reckon we all knew our playing roster at the start of the season was decent but it was turned to shit during JA's reign of terror. MCFC management must like what they are seeing so far under JVS.

Well for me JVS has been changing tactics from week to week and during the game itself. This is confounding the lesser coaches because they don't know what to expect and can't make changes on the fly. Up till yesterday I thought that Mulvey was doing quite well as coach but JVS showed that he can't change the game plan during the match.

Brisbane yesterday illustrated very well why just keeping possession isn't enough. Brisbane pretty much kept possession for its own sake, largely keeping the ball around the halfway line, and rarely troubled Redmayne. That's why I was very pleased to hear that the Manchester City philosophy is about "effective possession", and not possession as an end in itself.

It seems that things largely went according to plan yesterday, but for those who wanted Heart to play less direct/long passes you'll be happy to know that Engelaar and JVS said post-match that they wanted to keep the ball a bit longer in the first half (JVS post-match conference here). Some things JVS said were "they give a lot of space away behind, so that's what we told to see if we can get players going behind. In the beginning we had a few times that it was perfect, but then we started losing the ball too quick" and "at half time I only changed by saying 'try to keep the ball'. More often we were too quick looking forward, and you can't do that every time". So a smart mixed approach, but still an approach that favoured possession, was used. 

I think we missed Wielaert yesterday. He frequently directs our passing and possession, and is a calming influence and great passer himself. IMO his absence partly explains why we went direct a number of times yesterday.

Also you just have to give some credit to Brisbane as well, as they are easily the best pressing team in the league, and when we can out-possess them (and hopefully have effective possession) we'll be one of the best teams with the ball in the league.

Even though our backs were against the wall a bit yesterday in the first half, it's very good to see that we have a strong defensive structure that can even nullify probably the best attacking team in the league. A big reason our season has gone the way it has was because our defending was often a disorganised rabble (we had conceded the most goals across the season until this round). An organised and capable defence is pretty much required for success, and our defence is now looking real good.

I agree with those who say that JVS is a very tactically capable coach, who has been a tactical innovator in the A-League since his first days here (using a back 3, or a false 9 etc.). IMO he is probably the best match-day coach in the A-League, that is a coach who can and does make effective tactical changes during the match (the anti-thesis of Aloisi, who never guided his team to win after falling behind).

We're looking pretty good in many areas now, and I reckon we'll see more savvy tactics and solid defending in our remaining games, and good effective possession as the default approach.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1