Melbourne Football

Josh Kennedy

Kiro Kompiro

I reckon there's decent info in that article suggesting that Kennedy is very likely.

Why on earth would the club seriously not want their Australian marquee signed up by the start of the season? I don't buy that "It’s something that we want to take our time over" and due diligence line. It only makes sense IMO to wait to sign up the Australian marquee if that player is someone like Joshua Kennedy, who will not be out of contract until December. If the Aussie marquee was going to be someone else like, say, Scott McDonald, I'm pretty sure Marwood wouldn't say that we don't need our Australian marquee by the start of the season.

And why does Marwood answer the question about when the Australian marquee needs to arrive with reference to David Villa?: "Not necessarily because, as you know, David Villa [will be at Melbourne City untill NYCFC need him in Jan]". I think the reference to Villa is a big hint that the Australian marquee will definitely be a striker/goal-scorer, and Villa in the meantime will fill in for our pending Australian marquee. And I think the timeline mentioned (where Villa leaves around Xmas) strongly hints that the Australian marquee will arrive around December or January, which also suggests Kennedy, as he could "seemless[ly] transition" into the team and replace Villa after he leaves around the start of January, when the A-League will also helpfully be on hiatus due to the Asian Cup. 

As usual, club officials are keeping their cards very close to their chest, but ATM I think it can be inferred that Kennedy is the no. 1 target for the Australian marquee spot, and he would most likely join the club around December or January.

I'd say it only makes sense to do the public 'sitting on our hands' routine means it is likely that a deal has, at the very least, been agreed to, in principle. The stable of truly intriguing Australian targets for the role isn't going to get bigger between now and December, when most major leagues will be in progress. It would have been the plan since Villa was confirmed, at least and, if Kennedy hadn't already confirmed to Melbourne City, the club would be putting the pressure on him every day, because if it just gives it the she'll be rights until Villa is gone, instead of having a strategy in place for the baton to be passed, it's likely to get to that point and find that there isn't an available Aussie who's even worth more than Williams.

Edited by SF33

The latest on Kennedy, from last night's SEN The World of Football:

Michael Zappone: "His family is settled down here in Melbourne, his kids go to the same school as my kids, so I reckon they're here for the long haul. When is Melbourne City going to sign him?"

David Davutovic: "Negotiations are taking place. They kicked off around May, when Josh Kennedy was in camp with the Socceroos, obviously he went away with a back injury that ruled him out of the World Cup. Melbourne City have had their tour of Manchester and whatnot, and negotiations have recommenced and I think it's just a matter of time before Josh Kennedy is confirmed as Melbourne City's Australian marquee. I Think the biggest thing for him is his contract runs until December with Nagoya Grampus, he's had a fantastic goalscoring record over in Japan. The biggest thing for him I guess was getting his head around coming back to Australia, he still could stay in Japan and has a lot of interest from other Asian nations.

But my mail is Kennedy is more than happy to come back, his family is settled, his wife has resumed her basketball career back here in Melbourne so I think it'll be a matter of time before Kennedy signs for Melbourne City, but you'll probably find he will play out the J-League season and come around December or January, probably just as David Villa is leaving, so that's the perfect replacement in a sense".

https://soundcloud.com/sen1116/the-world-of-football-with-mark-fine-michael-zappone

So things are reportedly progressing, and we should be getting our marquee striker next season.

• 2 months later...

I'm just wrapped that both our marquees, Mooy and Paartalu will all be around for longer than a year. We're starting to develop a squad that will be able to maintain consistency in terms of its personnel from season to season. 

In the past our turnover has been immense and it surely hasn't helped us build any real chance of having a fluent side that can challenge for top honours consistently. 

I think this is a massive step in the right direction for our club

I know some bag the club as being chaotic, especially with Villa leaving earlier that expected. But, it was reported that the club knew this all along and with this Kennedy news, it seems like this was the clubs plan all along  which has mentioned in the past. Villa until December and Kennedy in January. 

I think last week it was reported that the club was very confident of getting Villa back in December up until the last Derby and could possibly also play boxing day if they could convince him, you would assume that would involve flying is family over here for an xmas  in mid 30 degree heat haha

But still, the club needs to have alot more transparency about this and hopefully this saga has caused them enough grief for them to change, you even saw JVS get a little snappy in the presser about the derby. 

But still, the club needs to have alot more transparency about this and hopefully this saga has caused them enough grief for them to change, you even saw JVS get a little snappy in the presser about the derby.

Yeah. I think something they need to remember is that in the past this type of behavior, particularly silence and alleged uncertainty happened because the club really didn't know what was going on and it meant trouble was around the corner. So people are more than entitled to be suspect. Particularly when it's mostly the same people at the club.

Trust takes time and is earned- particular after what has happened before they got here. So either be open or give us some kind of indication that things are coming together on the pitch.

Another great signing (if it goes ahead) but we still need to see that we can utilize all these great new players. And with more great signings comes higher expectations.

Let's hope that soon we finally get to see all the pieces of the jigsaw put together. Then they can be as secretive as they want.

Edited by KSK_47

Is this possibly why they keep saying that we are close to the cap, as they were leaving room for Kennedy?

The club has some leveage really with Kennedy's family already back here and he has very limited options other than playing NPL or retiring if he wasn't to sign for us :)

I do feel he will be the Australian Marquee though. Cahill seems a big task to try and sign, but hey I hope to be proved wrong there.

I'm sorry, but how on earth could we possibly fit Kennedy in under the cap? I'm sure his wage demands aren't astronomically high but we already have the likes of Duff, Mooy and Williams squeezed in so I find it a little hard to believe we have enough room left.