Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Also, the main issue with this is that it isn't our club anymore, it's theirs.

Maybe Im cynical, but it was never 'our' club. It was always owned by an entity, and that entity sold the club to Manchester City.

If you want this ideal, find an AFL club or the Green Bay Packers etc. This is private ownership and this is how it is.

If it was our club we would have voting rights our would of been part of the selling process to decide who WE wanted to buy the club. To me a real club can't be bought and sold. If you really want that connection go to your local club. I love heart, but at the end of the day it's a franchise and owned by people that aren't us fans.

Exactly this. Buy a few season tickets and all of a sudden we own the club.

When we first got taken over I was happy as fuck, thought it was gonna be awesome. Now im fucking pissed off. I don’t want to be supporting a plastic franchise of a secondary club from overseas. I didn’t even follow a-league before heart, and ive been a member since first season and its been a massive part of my life.
I couldn’t care less about winning games or david villa right now I just loved supporting the team.

Honestly if there was another club in melbourne to  support I probably would right now, but seeing as there isn’t I guess I will continue to support heart and wear red and white to games because I cant imagine not having a club to support. If man city fucked off right now I would actually be happy to return to the shitty team we were before if it meant we kept the same identity

Can some please tell me what the soul of this club was? What identity we had? We moved so far away from what this club was meant to be built on with the last owners in just 4 years. The new owners seem to want to take us back to what this club was supposedly founded on. Chants can still be the same. Flags/Banners can still be the same. Players and staff pretty much the same. Fans which are the soul of the club the same. The rest is purely cosmetic. I hated the stripes but the kit didn't make the club. We all new the old owners were wanting to sell to cash in a make money how is that different to what we have now. Well these new owners seem to be a lot more professional and capable in running a football club. The new owners seem to want to put money into this club that's different from the old. We may have proper youth development and training facilities now something we have all been complaining about. We were just a franchise before but us fans made the club. We are a franchise then and now but we can still do what we were doing before so what really has changed. Everybody followed this club for their own reasons thats fine, but to say that we are not a club now but we were back then and are now just someone else's plaything now is being dishonest.

I will still be going to games because what I got out of the club before and now has not changed. It's time to embrace the great opportunity for this club to go on and be even better than it was before and I don't mean just on field. If not goodbye and good luck with whatever you choose, hopefully we may see you again in the future you will be always welcome.

• Like 6

Maybe Im cynical, but it was never 'our' club. It was always owned by an entity, and that entity sold the club to Manchester City.

If you want this ideal, find an AFL club or the Green Bay Packers etc. This is private ownership and this is how it is.

bahahahahaha spot on. If it was our club we would have voting rights our would of been part of the selling process to decide who WE wanted to buy the club. To me a real club can't be bought and sold. If you really want that connection go to your local club. I love heart, but at the end of the day it's a franchise and owned by people that aren't us fans. It's sad, but true. What makes it feel my club is my personal connection that I develop, but in the back of my mind I always know that it's the A-league. You have to be realistic in what you're involving yourself in.

Selective reading at it's finest...

I said that I didn't expect everything to be 'old fashioned', as the A-League is already plastic enough.

However there is a difference between being part of a plastic league, to becoming one of the most soulless, money venturing ideas of a football club on the planet.

I'm looking forward to the season ahead, there was a stage through the 13/14 season that I thought who ever was to purchase heart may move us elsewhere, therefore we would no longer have a club to follow, when I heard city had brought the club and shortly after assured us the club was to be remain in Melbourne going forward I was wrapped I think that they have been very accommodating towards fans in regards to paying homage to our roots but at the same time I'm looking forward to the new look and to hopefully never have a winless run like we had ever again.

• Like 1

If you want this ideal, find an AFL club or the Green Bay Packers etc. This is private ownership and this is how it is. bahahahahaha spot on. If it was our club we would have voting rights our would of been part of the selling process to decide who WE wanted to buy the club. To me a real club can't be bought and sold. If you really want that connection go to your local club. I love heart, but at the end of the day it's a franchise and owned by people that aren't us fans. It's sad, but true. What makes it feel my club is my personal connection that I develop, but in the back of my mind I always know that it's the A-league. You have to be realistic in what you're involving yourself in.

I said that I didn't expect everything to be 'old fashioned', as the A-League is already plastic enough.

However there is a difference between being part of a plastic league, to becoming one of the most soulless, money venturing ideas of a football club on the planet.

So what has changed? Weren't we run on a shoe string budget to make money before. The old owners left the club with a healthy profit. I think also there are plenty of clubs around the world that make plenty of money most professional sporting clubs are their to make money now not just football clubs. If the CFG invest in this club like people think, they will put in more than they will get for us.

I don't think it's childish at all considering our home kit was literally the only thing I cared about. City could give us an exact copy of their home kit as our away kit and change our name and that would be enough to charge ridiculous money for intellectual property rights or whatever they're doing to get around the FFP. The fans and the FFA wouldn't care and we could wear sky blue in Asia.

This whole experience has made me dislike Manchester City. From now on I'll be actively hoping for them to lose every game they play while enjoying all the money they spend on us.

how old are you? What a sad little man you sound like, learn some perspective and gratefulness in life, City didn't HAVE to do anything they've done so far they could've changed everything they wanted, they bought that right with the franchise for a considerable amount of money, whatever gestures they've done is because they value the heritage of their clubs and to have some respect for the fanbase, neither of which they were obligated to or had to do. some people like you deserve to be under someone like Vincent Tan to start to value proper owners.

Got to say, I have no idea what your point is, and I say that as a fellow British City fan. You're saying that City deserve respect for buying the club and not choosing to do the worst case scenario? Isn't that a bit like someone putting a gun to your head and then telling you to thank him for not pulling the trigger? You seem to have forgotten that, at this point in time, City have done zero to actually help Melbourne, save for saying that David Villa will come over in a few months' time. Where is the stuff they have to thank City for?

City have done zero to help the Heart, jesus mate Melbourne Heart is being taken to the next level behind the scenes in terms of facilities and resources, as the coach JVS alluded to recently, a professional testing tour of England has been organised to help them be in the best shape possible for the next season and several signings will follow, they've got two beautiful kits by all neutral accounts and things are only going upwards, And signing Villa do you realise how massive it is to bring someone like Villa to the A League? someone who is currently starting fr the world champions and just played the Champions League final? with all that to say they have done nothing is pure stupidity. My reply was for the childish post above when I see childishness I will call it out, dont care About the reaction "This whole experience has made me dislike Manchester City. From now on I'll be actively hoping for them to lose every game they play while enjoying all the money they spend on us." Awwwwie just because poor wee Jimmy doesn't have his colours, people who are making childish statements like this before even a  SINGLE SEASON is done deserve jack shit

. Thankfullly the majority are not so petty minded and the future success over the next 5 years as a club upholding the values of Heart of community and youth and as  a team will be well deserved and show this individual and a few others what  small minded bitters they sounded like within a few months. Wish the Heart (City) all the success in the future.

Edited by TxikiBugger

If you want this ideal, find an AFL club or the Green Bay Packers etc. This is private ownership and this is how it is. If it was our club we would have voting rights our would of been part of the selling process to decide who WE wanted to buy the club. To me a real club can't be bought and sold. If you really want that connection go to your local club. I love heart, but at the end of the day it's a franchise and owned by people that aren't us fans.

Exactly this. Buy a few season tickets and all of a sudden we own the club.

Its not a few.  7000 tix @ $200 is $1.4 mill.

Pretty significant investment if you ask me.  

Add the merchandise $...

And unlike the owners, I have NEVER broken even with the Heart.  Always cost me money...

I don't think it's childish at all considering our home kit was literally the only thing I cared about. City could give us an exact copy of their home kit as our away kit and change our name and that would be enough to charge ridiculous money for intellectual property rights or whatever they're doing to get around the FFP. The fans and the FFA wouldn't care and we could wear sky blue in Asia.

This whole experience has made me dislike Manchester City. From now on I'll be actively hoping for them to lose every game they play while enjoying all the money they spend on us.

how old are you? What a sad little man you sound like, learn some perspective and gratefulness in life, City didn't HAVE to do anything they've done so far they could've changed everything they wanted, they bought that right with the franchise for a considerable amount of money, whatever gestures they've done is because they value the heritage of their clubs and to have some respect for the fanbase, neither of which they were obligated to or had to do. some people like you deserve to be under someone like Vincent Tan to start to value proper owners.

Got to say, I have no idea what your point is, and I say that as a fellow British City fan. You're saying that City deserve respect for buying the club and not choosing to do the worst case scenario? Isn't that a bit like someone putting a gun to your head and then telling you to thank him for not pulling the trigger? You seem to have forgotten that, at this point in time, City have done zero to actually help Melbourne, save for saying that David Villa will come over in a few months' time. Where is the stuff they have to thank City for?

City have done zero to help the Heart, jesus mate Melbourne Heart is being taken to the next level behind the scenes in terms of facilities and resources, as the coach JVS alluded to recently, a professional testing tour of England has been organised to help them be in the best shape possible for the next season and several signings will follow, they've got two beautiful kits by all neutral accounts and things are only going upwards, And signing Villa do you realise how massive it is to bring someone like Villa to the A League? someone who is currently starting fr the world champions and just played the Champions League final? with all that to say they have done nothing is pure stupidity. My reply was for the childish post above when I see childishness I will call it out, dont care About the reaction "This whole experience has made me dislike Manchester City. From now on I'll be actively hoping for them to lose every game they play while enjoying all the money they spend on us." Awwwwie just because poor wee Jimmy doesn't have his colours, people who are making childish statements like this before even a  SINGLE SEASON is done deserve jack shit

. Thankfullly the majority are not so petty minded and the future success over the next 5 years as a club upholding the values of Heart of community and youth and as  a team will be well deserved and show this individual and a few others what  small minded bitters they sounded like within a few months. Wish the Heart (City) all the success in the future.

Thank you my lord, may we have another my lord?

If you want this ideal, find an AFL club or the Green Bay Packers etc. This is private ownership and this is how it is. bahahahahaha spot on. If it was our club we would have voting rights our would of been part of the selling process to decide who WE wanted to buy the club. To me a real club can't be bought and sold. If you really want that connection go to your local club. I love heart, but at the end of the day it's a franchise and owned by people that aren't us fans. It's sad, but true. What makes it feel my club is my personal connection that I develop, but in the back of my mind I always know that it's the A-league. You have to be realistic in what you're involving yourself in.

So what has changed? Weren't we run on a shoe string budget to make money before. The old owners left the club with a healthy profit. I think also there are plenty of clubs around the world that make plenty of money most professional sporting clubs are their to make money now not just football clubs. If the CFG invest in this club like people think, they will put in more than they will get for us.

What has changed is the fact that instead of us being a club slowly building an identity of our own, we've now simply been swallowed up in a cold marketing ploy.

Clubs do try to make money, but usually the club is the actual brand. And it was unfortunate that our brand was rather weak. However with the City buy out, we're now just being used to support an entirely different club, and therefore aren't even a brand of our own.

If you're fine with saying in the future that your football club's identity is simply to act as an advert for Manchester City, as long as it buys you success, then thats fine, but you have to understand how a fair few aren't keen on this idea.

• Like 1

It would be better if my fellow City fans refrained from telling the Heart fans how lucky they are and the club shouldn't be about the colours.

There is nothing that antagonises people more than being told what to do, say or think.

It will be up to each individual fan if they continue their support under the new regime. I for one hope they do but understand if they walk away.

The sheikh didn't have a clue where the feck Manchester was before he bought us. IIRC he tried to buy a Spanish club but found out that the supporter-owned Spanish clubs were nearly impossible to buy. Thaksin (our prior owner) got into legal troubles and City nearly went broke after Thaksin's assets were frozen and he became a fugitive. Sulaiman Al Fahim came to Sheikh Mansour with the idea of buying a bad luck club in some place called Manchester, he got interested and the rest is history .

We weren't his first choice, either. I doubt most fans remember this today.

Been a bit busy of late so would have replied to this ages ago. 

Mansour also looked at the Bundesliga but instantly walked away after discovering the 51% rule - he could never have full control of a German club and that was simply a no-no.

When he looked at the Premier League, he made an offer to Everton, but the board turned it down unbelievably, and Mike Ashley of Newcastle asked for far too much AND did not take it seriously. It was at that point Thaksin gave his friend, Mansour, a nudge, and so they had a good look at Manchester City.

Brand new stadium, major city, plenty of free ground in the area, a sleeping giant, cheap, total control, and helping out a friend, all went in the club's favour.

ADUG will always want as much control over their operations as possible, and being able to throw as much money as possible at it, too. They always find the right people to get the job done, and prefer to do things quietly and as efficiently as possible.

What has changed is the fact that instead of us being a club slowly building an identity of our own, we've now simply been swallowed up in a cold marketing ploy.

Clubs do try to make money, but usually the club is the actual brand. And it was unfortunate that our brand was rather weak. However with the City buy out, we're now just being used to support an entirely different club, and therefore aren't even a brand of our own.

If you're fine with saying in the future that your football club's identity is simply to act as an advert for Manchester City, as long as it buys you success, then thats fine, but you have to understand how a fair few aren't keen on this idea.

If that's what you think go find another club. Go find a local team in the NPL or lower leagues or start your own club. This is still the club I support it was never mine. It's mine in that I support it and while it's still has Melbourne in front of it, it's a different club. Gee you want the team to succeed so your not a real fan or you have sold out. We should all have a say in how the club should be handled? Because we by tickets? I buy lots of things for a certain shop maybe I can start telling them how to run there business now. This forum has shown that we all have different opinions. So what if their was a vote and you lost? Well their wasn't a vote so who knows what would of happened. But what's done has been done you can keep bitching about it or deal with it and support the team. Otherwise move on so that those of us who want to talk about the new season can do so without the same crap and negativity over and over again. Unfortunately this is the reality of modern sport. Deal with or walk away and start your own club. As I have said before the kit, badge etc wasn't why I support this club I don't own the club I just support it. The community that I felt at the club is still there so nothing has really changed for me just that the club looks like it is going forward now instead stagnating. Is it all ideal no but people going on and on about perhaps trying to make people who are staying feel bad is not on. Say your piece if you have too and move on or support the club.

• Like 1

So if you are from Manchester, have just logged on either 1) do some decent background reading before you post or, if that seems like too much work, 2) just do as all a favour and log off. 

Agree. I wouldn't be unhappy if the moderators simply deleted insensitive posts before they made the board. Nothing new is being added to the discussion either by restating a personal position, whatever it is, or by new posters coming in and going over the discussion all over again.

Nor would I be unhappy if this thread was closed off where it stands. We're in pre-season now, the boys are back in training, we've still got a number of signings to make, the membership stats to watch, the fixture to come out soon, an FFA Cup match, the boys playing Oldham and a Bolton XI in Lancashire in July, and a whole lot more including the World Cup. Let's get back to the football and let wounds heal.

i see where you are coming from but like with the "ins and outs" thread some people need to still get stuff off their chests.  Might need some more time for that?

Perhaps a thread title change is in order ... Could be just "City Football Group"

time to move forward

I still think that the thread should be closed. Even since my post this morning people are still posting repeats of the positions and opinions that have been stated so many times before. This is completely pointless. People may in due course change their positions on certain things, but that will be after they have thought things through by themselves, and perhaps talked it over with friends and family. They won't do it by being lectured by me or anyone else.

This is actually a Melbourne City Supporters forum. Within that we have various threads for Melbourne City issues. We also have other sub-forums for Australian Football, World Football, Football Culture, and so on. Could the moderators set up sub-forums in this latter group for either the City Football Group generally, or perhaps one each for our sister clubs New York City and Manchester City?

Just an idea.

I have been reading this thread with interest from afar and thought I would wait for things to settle down before posting

I understand why some might get upset but a club is not about colours City's have changed many times, its not about boards we have loads of though too, its certainly not about players or managers they come and go its about us the supporters we make the club we are the only constant we are the noise and we are the heart and soul of any club.

To those of you who state they have not consulted me did you really think they were going to consult with thousands and thousands of fans just because you havent been consulted does not mean consultations have not occured you have to remember we on football forums are the minority therefore we are not indicative of what is going on in the wider world

As long as you buy a shirt do you really think that owners of a club care what colour shirt you have bought get real the point is they can use the new home shirt to link with its other world wide interests for marketing purposes even if you only buy the red and white kit, they get what they want in terms of marketing you get what you want in terms of keeping red and white both parties win

I do think that we as fans have unreal expectations about communications from clubs they will look at what is need for the long term future and our owners have the resources to build and deliver whatever is needed and when they are ready it will be presented

City are building one of, if not, the worlds greatest training facility they didnt consult they just presented it and then got on and delivered it why do think Man City fans get all excited when Sheik Khaldoon does his annual speech because its the one and only time that we get to hear what the head of our club is thinking does that make them poor communicators, no, it just means when they have something to say they say it and then they shut up and let the football do the talking

Punctuate please

I have been reading this thread with interest from afar and thought I would wait for things to settle down before posting

I understand why some might get upset but a club is not about colours City's have changed many times, its not about boards we have loads of though too, its certainly not about players or managers they come and go its about us the supporters we make the club we are the only constant we are the noise and we are the heart and soul of any club.

To those of you who state they have not consulted me did you really think they were going to consult with thousands and thousands of fans just because you havent been consulted does not mean consultations have not occured you have to remember we on football forums are the minority therefore we are not indicative of what is going on in the wider world

As long as you buy a shirt do you really think that owners of a club care what colour shirt you have bought get real the point is they can use the new home shirt to link with its other world wide interests for marketing purposes even if you only buy the red and white kit, they get what they want in terms of marketing you get what you want in terms of keeping red and white both parties win

I do think that we as fans have unreal expectations about communications from clubs they will look at what is need for the long term future and our owners have the resources to build and deliver whatever is needed and when they are ready it will be presented

City are building one of, if not, the worlds greatest training facility they didnt consult they just presented it and then got on and delivered it why do think Man City fans get all excited when Sheik Khaldoon does his annual speech because its the one and only time that we get to hear what the head of our club is thinking does that make them poor communicators, no, it just means when they have something to say they say it and then they shut up and let the football do the talking

Punctuate please

!

The sheikh didn't have a clue where the feck Manchester was before he bought us. IIRC he tried to buy a Spanish club but found out that the supporter-owned Spanish clubs were nearly impossible to buy. Thaksin (our prior owner) got into legal troubles and City nearly went broke after Thaksin's assets were frozen and he became a fugitive. Sulaiman Al Fahim came to Sheikh Mansour with the idea of buying a bad luck club in some place called Manchester, he got interested and the rest is history .

Mansour also looked at the Bundesliga but instantly walked away after discovering the 51% rule - he could never have full control of a German club and that was simply a no-no.

When he looked at the Premier League, he made an offer to Everton, but the board turned it down unbelievably, and Mike Ashley of Newcastle asked for far too much AND did not take it seriously. It was at that point Thaksin gave his friend, Mansour, a nudge, and so they had a good look at Manchester City.

Brand new stadium, major city, plenty of free ground in the area, a sleeping giant, cheap, total control, and helping out a friend, all went in the club's favour.

ADUG will always want as much control over their operations as possible, and being able to throw as much money as possible at it, too. They always find the right people to get the job done, and prefer to do things quietly and as efficiently as possible.

That´s a slightly different story from what Garry Cook told.. and from what Dr Suleiman Al-Fahim that brokered the takeover told, and from what the supporters trust that had prepared a bid told their members.

But maybe you had inside information? <_<

That´s a slightly different story from what Garry Cook told.. and from what Dr Suleiman Al-Fahim that brokered the takeover told, and from what the supporters trust that had prepared a bid told their members.

Dr Suleiman Al-Fahim was a bandwaggon jumper - essentially a nobody - after getting shunted away from City, he was found hanging around Portsmouth FC (wearing a black cape and holding a sickle)

Dr Suleiman Al-Fahim was a bandwaggon jumper - essentially a nobody - after getting shunted away from City, he was found hanging around Portsmouth FC (wearing a black cape and holding a sickle)

Why do you just make things up?.. He worked for Mansours brother Tahnoun at the time and together with Shearman & Sterling (the lawfirm that handled the due diligence) handled the takeover on behalf of Mansour.

Gee you want the team to succeed so your not a real fan or you have sold out. We should all have a say in how the club should be handled? Because we by tickets? I buy lots of things for a certain shop maybe I can start telling them how to run there business now. This forum has shown that we all have different opinions. So what if their was a vote and you lost? Well their wasn't a vote so who knows what would of happened.

Never said anything like this, and it has nothing to do with the point. You're making shit up now so you can sleep better at night.

Sorry, but I'm a bit of a cunt, which means I don't let things easily slide by. Especially not when I'm being told to just 'get over' losing something that I've poured countless hours of time and effort into over the past 4 years.

I'm bitter as fuck, and not going to listen quietly to bullshit from people telling themselves that nothing has really changed, when in fact everything has.

After less than a week people are already trying to shut up the disgruntled supporters so that they can live in fantasy land, and forget everything they once were ffs.

What a sale out!!!

• Like 1

Gee you want the team to succeed so your not a real fan or you have sold out. We should all have a say in how the club should be handled? Because we by tickets? I buy lots of things for a certain shop maybe I can start telling them how to run there business now. This forum has shown that we all have different opinions. So what if their was a vote and you lost? Well their wasn't a vote so who knows what would of happened.

Never said anything like this, and it has nothing to do with the point. You're making shit up now so you can sleep better at night.

Sorry, but I'm a bit of a cunt, which means I don't let things easily slide by. Especially not when I'm being told to just 'get over' losing something that I've poured countless hours of time and effort into over the past 4 years.

I'm bitter as fuck, and not going to listen quietly to bullshit from people telling themselves that nothing has really changed, when in fact everything has.

After less than a week people are already trying to shut up the disgruntled supporters so that they can live in fantasy land, and forget everything they once were ffs.

What a sale out!!!

Think the saying you are looking for is "what a sell out"

Why are you so bitter? Because a company is willing to pump the necessary funds to make us a more competitive side, making our brand more commercialised so we can start filling stadiums, and you harp on about significant changes yet the city group acknowledge our past by playing our former colours as our away shirt, acknowledges our name heart in the new website by our slogan being heart of the city, hell the website is still majority red. I'm stumped as how you can accept last years performance on and off the field yet you can't accept changes for the better of the club.....well in my opinion

• Like 2

Why exactly should the Heart fans feel like playing a couple of games - against the likes of Bolton's reserves, no less - is something to be praised? Realistically it's not a very competitive level of competition, and the only reason it's happening is because their team will be coming to Manchester for a few weeks. Also, the fact that you raised the shirts is a bit stupid, since the changing of the shirts is one of the major reasons that the Heart fans are so unhappy about City's involvement in their club.

At any rate, other people are right. This is a stupid debate which is just going in cycles, fueled by a constant stream of City fans who feel inclined to come here and post the exact same flawed argument used by a hundred other people already. It's pretty obvious now that no matter how many times the argument is used, or how hard it is pressed, that it is not changing even a single mind on the issue, so why do people keep insisting on raising this?

Seriously, can we please just institute a policy of deleting these messages every time they're posted, because they're really not contributing to anything any more.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 4

What a sale out!!!

I think maybe you should see someone. We have all spent time and money into this club. But it's was my time and money because I choose to do it. But I suppose I wasn't expecting anything in return except for good football and seeing my mates. Yes I will sleep well tonight thank you. Maybe you and the other bitter fans can start your own thread and leave those of us in fantasy land to enjoy this new chapter of our clubs history. Or maybe all us fans in fantasy land should leave this thread for you. Anyway take care, I'm off and moving on and going to enjoy the football.

• Like 3

Why exactly should the Heart fans feel like playing a couple of games - against the likes of Bolton's reserves, no less - is something to be praised? Realistically it's not a very competitive level of competition, and the only reason it's happening is because their team will be coming to Manchester for a few weeks. Also, the fact that you raised the shirts is a bit stupid, since the changing of the shirts is one of the major reasons that the Heart fans are so unhappy about City's involvement in their club.

At any rate, other people are right. This is a stupid debate which is just going in cycles, fueled by a constant stream of City fans who feel inclined to come here and post the exact same flawed argument used by a hundred other people already. It's pretty obvious now that no matter how many times the argument is used, or how hard it is pressed, that it is not changing even a single mind on the issue, so why do people keep insisting on raising this?

Seriously, can we please just institute a policy of deleting these messages every time they're posted, because they're really not contributing to anything any more.

As you have also now done  ;) . Anyway now I'm moving on and going to enjoy the coming season.  :)

I stop visiting the forum for a few days and suddenly we have a new domain, even more idiots signed up and we are discussing marketing, the colonisation of Australia, who is a sell out and for some reason nobody is making sense but we know what they're talking about. Alrighty then...

• Like 1