Melbourne Football

Heart offer JVS coaching role

Murfy1

Imo I think JVSs appointment has nothing to do with the team and more about being sustainable. The board have likely identified that we may need to keep selling youngsters to stay afloat. They recognise that JVS great strength is with youth and with his 'connections' he is a good candidate to be head of our 'football factory'.

Agree despite Munn trying to say selling young players isn't apart of our plans etc. it clearly is 

Imo I think JVSs appointment has nothing to do with the team and more about being sustainable. The board have likely identified that we may need to keep selling youngsters to stay afloat. They recognise that JVS great strength is with youth and with his 'connections' he is a good candidate to be head of our 'football factory'.

Agree despite Munn trying to say selling young players isn't apart of our plans etc. it clearly is

if selling youngsters is what we need to do to fund a competitive team then I am ok with it

• Like 1

if selling youngsters is what we need to do to fund a competitive team then I am ok with it

And like eli and aziz if things don't go as planned we will often be their first choice if they need to come home

Agree despite Munn trying to say selling young players isn't apart of our plans etc. it clearly is if selling youngsters is what we need to do to fund a competitive team then I am ok with it

If we are only financially viable by selling young players we should not exist.

Agree despite Munn trying to say selling young players isn't apart of our plans etc. it clearly is if selling youngsters is what we need to do to fund a competitive team then I am ok with it

If we are only financially viable by selling young players we should not exist.

Surely you are not taking from my post that I believe our main source of income is or should be to sell youngsters. Clearly selling youngster would be used to complement our other sources of income and enable us to increase the quality of our other signings. Maybe the transfer fee received for a youngster could have been enough for us to sign Holt

This really shows how far ahead of Victory we really are. It's embarrassing for them that a club like ours has made huge steps to promoting the game and they've don't nothing with an extra 5 years. What a disgraceful club they are.

I really hope South Melbourne take over from them next season.

• Like 4

I hear that a gentleman by the name of James Hird might be looking for a coaching role in the near future. He will do WHATEVER IT TAKES so we should look at getting him to lead us. (Tongue In Cheek)

It might just be the injection we need...

He could supplement either JA or JVS

Well it does look like JA's been putting on a bit of weight.

I hear that a gentleman by the name of James Hird might be looking for a coaching role in the near future. He will do WHATEVER IT TAKES so we should look at getting him to lead us. (Tongue In Cheek)

JA would be no dope to seek additonal help

But I'm sure there'd be something legal he could take to prevent him from becoming obese, no?

But I'm sure there'd be something legal he could take to prevent him from becoming obese, no?

There probably is. They could do lines or set up some cones.

If it has been reported correctly, much of SM's interview is very positive for the club - the focus on results rather than profit, the academy, and finally putting paid to any thoughts that we might be for sale.

But I do find the re-emergence of JvS to be fascinating. Surely this is putting present coaching staff at MHFC on notice that they have fallen short of what was expected of them? IIRC quite some noise was made at the start of 2012/13 about the integration of the senior and NYL squads for training, and also with a certain Ron Smith coming on board to provide technical support to JA and HF. "Integrated training" might not be quite the same as "...integrating the youth team into the seniors", but it's not that far from it, and the difference is more a matter of semantics than substance. And "...necessary support on game day to the coaching panel" is really an acknowledgement that the said panel fell short of the mark last season.

Like Defib I'm going to watch this very closely.

I don't know, you'd hardly say that the presence of a Cruyff academy at Ajax is a sign of no confidence in the coach. Granted the context is different but I l;ike that the club is planning a clear player development pathway using a proven method. I think that we should give JA the benefit of the doubt - he has chosen this team without having half of it sold out from under him like last season and the Board is publicly putting football first. Let's see what happens. JA has played under some very good coaches like Venables and Aguirre, he must have learnt something

If it has been reported correctly, much of SM's interview is very positive for the club - the focus on results rather than profit, the academy, and finally putting paid to any thoughts that we might be for sale.

But I do find the re-emergence of JvS to be fascinating. Surely this is putting present coaching staff at MHFC on notice that they have fallen short of what was expected of them? IIRC quite some noise was made at the start of 2012/13 about the integration of the senior and NYL squads for training, and also with a certain Ron Smith coming on board to provide technical support to JA and HF. "Integrated training" might not be quite the same as "...integrating the youth team into the seniors", but it's not that far from it, and the difference is more a matter of semantics than substance. And "...necessary support on game day to the coaching panel" is really an acknowledgement that the said panel fell short of the mark last season.

I don't know, you'd hardly say that the presence of a Cruyff academy at Ajax is a sign of no confidence in the coach. Granted the context is different but I l;ike that the club is planning a clear player development pathway using a proven method. I think that we should give JA the benefit of the doubt - he has chosen this team without having half of it sold out from under him like last season and the Board is publicly putting football first. Let's see what happens. JA has played under some very good coaches like Venables and Aguirre, he must have learnt something

The other interpretation that I have been contemplating is that we are now where we always intended to be at the start of our Season 4 - JA as Head Coach, with HF as Assistant Coach and JP as Youth Coach, with JvS as Technical Director and mentor with responsibility for the Academy. The only thing that went wrong was that JvS didn't keep to the script and he did not stay on as Head Coach for last season with JA as his assistant.

Also I don't buy this "players sold out from under him" line I'm afraid. AFAIK the club had these players under contracts that specifically included a clause to the effect that if another club came along and met the transfer fee stipulated in the contract and the player wanted to go then MHFC would not and could not stand in the way. Players are always leaving clubs. Admittedly it did not help JA in his first season, but  we can hardly excuse some of our pathetic performances because a handful of players had left the club. The question was did JA get the best out of the players he had - bearing in mind he had a hand in signing at least two of them - and I'd say the answer to that was a definite "no."

Irrespective of all that, IMO there are no excuses available to the Heart this season. In that view I'm joined by Francis Leach.

The other interpretation that I have been contemplating is that we are now where we always intended to be at the start of our Season 4 - JA as Head Coach, with HF as Assistant Coach and JP as Youth Coach, with JvS as Technical Director and mentor with responsibility for the Academy. The only thing that went wrong was that JvS didn't keep to the script and he did not stay on as Head Coach for last season with JA as his assistant.

Also I don't buy this "players sold out from under him" line I'm afraid. AFAIK the club had these players under contracts that specifically included a clause to the effect that if another club came along and met the transfer fee stipulated in the contract and the player wanted to go then MHFC would not and could not stand in the way. Players are always leaving clubs. Admittedly it did not help JA in his first season, but  we can hardly excuse some of our pathetic performances because a handful of players had left the club. The question was did JA get the best out of the players he had - bearing in mind he had a hand in signing at least two of them - and I'd say the answer to that was a definite "no."

Irrespective of all that, IMO there are no excuses available to the Heart this season. In that view I'm joined by Francis Leach.

I agree that there are no excuses this season, however virtually the whole first choice back 4 and first choice striker were transferred out after JA took the job. It would have been somewhat mitigated if the club had been prepared to replace like for like but it just unbalanced the team even more.

Van 't Schip renews link with Heart

Michael Lynch August 18 2013

art-353-svVANTSCHIP-300x0.jpg

The perma-tan is still there - hardly surprising, perhaps, in view of the heatwave Europe experienced during the northern summer - as is the designer stubble and the casual look of a cool middle-aged Euro-hipster.

John van 't Schip, the former coach of Melbourne Heart, might have spent a testing year in the madness and frenzy that is Mexican soccer, but it doesn't seem to have affected his equilibrium.

The former Dutch international quit Melbourne at the end of the club's second season to take up a post alongside his friend, one-time teammate and mentor, Johan Cruyff, in Guadalajara with one of Mexico's best known clubs, Chivas.

It was, he suggests, one of the more interesting episodes in a peripatetic career which saw him play in the Netherlands and Italy and coach in his homeland as well as Australia and Mexico.

Now he is back in familiar terrain, living in Amsterdam and working once more with Dutch legend Cruyff as part of his Cruyff Football organisation, one arm of a number of Cruyff-branded businesses the former Oranje star and Ajax and Barcelona great has established in various fields.

The best way to think of Cruyff Football is as a sort of soccer consultancy. The team can be hired on a short-term basis - for as few as three or four days - or as a long-term service provider, with van 't Schip or one of his colleagues brought in as a head coach for a couple of months or longer to help clubs who want to change the way they do things.

Van 't Schip enjoyed his three years in Victoria as founding coach of the Heart and now, through the Cruyff Foundation, he will re-establish his links with the club as it looks to set up a Cruyff-inspired academy in the city.

While van 't Schip will once again be in close touch with the Heart coaching staff, he is at pains to point out that he is not coming back to be some kind of controller behind the scenes. John Aloisi is still very much the coach, with the football department and commercial arms doing their jobs to build the club up on and off the pitch.

''The project with Melbourne Heart is very exciting, creating an academy, and for me now the priority is the time I will be here and in Holland, staying in contact with John Didulica, John Aloisi and Scott Munn. But I won't be here all the time. I will be here three times a year for three to four weeks at a time,'' he explains.

''I will be here at the end of September heading into the first two games of the new A-League season. I will come back again at the end of November until just before Christmas. Then the last time I will be here will be the end of January into February. It will be three good periods and in the meantime I can still continue to do my work with Cruyff Foundation as we still have work with other clubs in other parts of the world.

''There is a club in South Africa, Mamelodi Sundowns, who are involved with Ajax … which we are involved in. There are other spells that we have with other clubs. We might go for three days to a club to do an investigation, give them a report … or it can be longer.

''Currently we are looking at a Premier League club in England, they wanted us just to analyse and make suggestions. Then you have clubs in the Middle East that want to have a coaching clinic. We investigate what's possible for them.''

With the Cruyff connection and a new challenge in television - on Monday night in Holland he will make his debut as an international TV pundit covering the Manchester City versus Newcastle EPL game - he doesn't have to think about an immediate return to full-time coaching.

''The good thing with Cruyff Football is that I can do a lot of things now. If a club really wants major help they can have us take care of everything, then I could step in as a head coach, basing myself there for a year or however long they want … Or I can fly in, fly out, as I am doing now with Heart.

''I had a few offers in Holland recently from Eredivisie clubs, But at this point I am not interested, I am with Cruyff, Heart, the TV. If after a year this isn't satisfying I can always make the switch back to full-time coaching.''

Not surprisingly, he is upbeat about Heart's prospects this season, particularly with the signing of two Dutch players, Orlando Engelaar and Robbie Wielaert, a midfielder and defender respectively, as well as the addition of veteran Harry Kewell.

''It's crucial for Harry to be fit. When he came back at Victory he learned he can't just walk in and think it's going to happen. He learned from that, and that's why he's having a good pre-season. It could be a very successful year if all the parts come together. It looks very balanced.''

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/soccer/van-t-schip-renews-link-with-heart-20130817-2s3vf.html

Edited by Murfy1

I must say that each time I read more about this appointment it seems to involve less time actually spent here with MHFC. IIRC I originally read that he would be here for five months out of the seven months of the season; now it is just three periods each of three-four weeks.

• 2 weeks later...