Melbourne Football

U20 World Cup

mus-28

Qantas Young Socceroos Head Coach Paul Okon today named his final 21-player squad that will compete at the FIFA U-20 World Cup Turkey 2013 which will be held from 21 June to 13 July.

Of the 21 players, 15 players have been drawn from the ranks of the Hyundai A-League and four (4) players have come from overseas-based clubs with Corey Gameiro and Jamie Maclaren currently uncontracted.

There is plenty of major tournament experience with the Qantas Young Socceroos squad with Terry Antonis and Corey Gameiro both playing at the previous edition of the FIFA U-20 World Cup which was held in Colombia in 2011.

Both Paul Izzo and Connor Chapman were members of the Qantas Joeys squad that made the Round of 16 at the FIFA U-17 World Cup Mexico 2011.

Terry Antonis and Adam Taggart have the added achievement of being capped at senior international level for the Qantas Socceroos at the EAFF East Asian Cup Qualifiers which were held in Hong Kong late last year.

One of three goalkeepers selected, Anthony Bouzanis is also the brother of Dean Bouzanis who was the Qantas Young Socceroos goalkeeper at the FIFA U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009.

The Qantas Young Socceroos will assemble in Sydney on Friday 7 June and will be officially presented with their playing shirts on the same day at an official farewell function. They will have two days of training in Sydney before playing an international friendly match against New Zealand on Monday 10 June at WIN Stadium in Wollongong.

The Qantas Young Socceroos will fly out to Turkey on Tuesday 11 June to hold their final pre-tournament training camp in Antalya, Turkey from 12-17 June where they will play their final international friendly match prior to the tournament against the Chilean U-20 Men’s National on the morning of Monday 17 June.

The Qantas Young Socceroos will then move to their tournament base camp in the Black Sea coastal city of Trabzon to prepare for their opening match against, Colombia on 22 June. Their second match of the tournament will be against El Salvador on 25 June before their final group match against Turkey on 28 June with all the matches to be played in Trabzon (Colombia & Turkey) and Rize (El Salvador).

The opening match of the tournament will see Cuba play the Korea Republic on Friday 21 June in Kayseri.

The Qantas Young Socceroos qualified for the FIFA U-20 World Cup Turkey 2013 having made the semi-finals of the AFC U-19 Youth Championships in the United Arab Emirates last year.

All Qantas Young Socceroos matches at the FIFA U-20 World Cup Turkey 2013 will be broadcast live & exclusive on SBS TV.

Qantas Young Socceroos Squad - FIFA U-20 World Cup Turkey 2013

Terry ANTONIS
Anthony BOUZANIS (gk)
Joshua BRILLANTE
Reece CAIRA
Connor CHAPMAN
Daniel De SILVA
James DONACHIE
Jack DUNCAN (gk)
Ryan EDWARDS
Scott GALLOWAY
Corey GAMEIRO
Jason GERIA
Curtis GOOD
Andrew HOOLE
Jackson IRVINE
Paul IZZO (gk)
Jamie MACLAREN
Connor PAIN
Adam TAGGART
David VRANKOVIC
Ryan WILLIAMS

International Friendly Matches

Qantas Young Socceroos v Junior All Whites (New Zealand U-20 Men’s National Football Team)
WIN Stadium, Wollongong
Monday 10 June 2013
Kick-Off - 2:00pm AEST
Gates Open - 1:00pm AEST
For Ticketing details click here

Qantas Young Socceroos v Chilean U-20 Men’s National Football Team
Monday 17 June 2013
Kick-off 10:00am (EEST) (5:00pm AEST)
Antalya, Turkey

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Okon-names-side-for-Under-20-World-Cup/68418

Some absolute mind-fuck selections in amongst that lot. No Musti Amini or Jeremy Walker being the big suprises for me.

Walker had a far better season at RB than Hoole, who looked quite shit in the Jets games that I watched. Amini should've been a key player in the squad instead a 16 year old with a couple of A-League games gets a gig.

Really lacking in a quality keeper for once, Izzo looks like he's likely to have a brain fart every time the ball goes into the box and he's the #1.

Without Amini there isn't anyone who has the x-factor and can create something out of nothing, can't see us getting out of the group ahead of Colombia or Turkey.

who the fuck is Anthony Bouzanis?

Also think Dylan Tombides and Massimo Luongo should have got a run over a lot of these blokes.

"One of three goalkeepers selected, Anthony Bouzanis is also the brother of Dean Bouzanis who was the Qantas Young Socceroos goalkeeper at the FIFA U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009"

Being the brother of a goalkeeper in a previous tournament doesn't warrant selection. I've never seen him play A-League for Sydney FC and they had two shocking keepers last year, surely there are therefore better candidates than him floating around. IE Liam Jacob.

12 June 2013-SBS Exclusive: Dave Lewis

Young Socceroos FIFA U-20 World Cup

Sick in the stomach ... Mustafa Amini (Getty Images)

Shattered Young Socceroos midfielder Mustafa Amini has questioned coach Paul Okon's motives in leaving him out of his 21-man squad for this month's FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey.

The Borussia Dortmund rookie was informed by Okon that he did not think he was fit enough for the tournament, a claim Amini, 20, vehemently disputes.

With his omission still sinking in seven days after it was revealed he had failed to make the cut, Amini – back home in Australia to catch up with family and friends – told The World Game: "My fitness is fine. I played 81 minutes of our match against the Netherlands Under-21s (a 3-1 loss on 25 May) and I think I was one of our better players.

"I got 40 minutes in our 2-2 draw against Germany (1 June in Cyprus) and I was dreaming about being a part of our World Cup campaign.

"I put off my holidays to be a part of this and I am really disappointed and surprised not to have been picked. The message I got from Paul Okon was that I wasn't fit enough – but that's not the case.

"When Paul Okon called me to say he wasn't going to take me it was a huge blow - I felt sick in the stomach. I honestly don't really understand why I wasn't selected.

"There was a thing about my fitness. I had a blood test after not sleeping for the best part of two days following the Holland match, because I was part of the Dortmund party which went to Wembley for the European Champions League final the next day, and it was full on for 48 hours.

"Then I flew to Cyprus (to link up with the Young Socceroos) and had the test. Of course after not sleeping for two days my blood won't be the same as everybody elses and that was the excuse I was given.

"Paul Okon also mentioned my skin fold tests, but I am an on different program at Dortmund where you bulk up then you trim down afterwards.

"I proved my fitness in that Holland game. We had a week in Cyprus after that and I did well when I came on against Germany, so fitness-wise there were no issues at all."

Amini's lack of game time towards the end of last season at Dortmund was also queried by Okon, but the former Central Coast Mariners star explained: "It's a professional league with crowds of 10,000 sometimes and you have first teamers who have played with us throughout the year. It's not easy just to come in from Australia and break through.

"Jurgen Klopp (Dortmund coach) has told me personally just to keep working hard and I will go back soon and be fresh for pre-season and ready to go.

"A lot of the players who were keeping me out are over 23 now and will move on and now my chance will come to get more game time and hopefully push on towards the first team at some stage.

"But everybody knows that Dortmund's first team is one of the best in the world, so of course it's a big challenge for me."

Amini, who played 14 times for Dortmund II in the third tier of German football in his debut season in 2012-2103 and has 23 Young Socceroos caps, burst onto the international scene at the U-20 World Cup in Colombia two years ago while still with the Mariners.

"Back then I was younger than a lot of the boys but this time I thought I was more than ready and determined to make an impression in Turkey and show people what I can do on a big stage," he added.

"I have been part of the system for so long, and this is tough to take. A lot of my team-mates were as surprised as I am by me not being picked.

"If he (Okon) has a personal problem with me I wish he had told me, rather than just telling me I am not fit."

Okon echoed his view that Amini was not in the condition for a demanding international tournament on Soccer Stoppage Time radio three days ago.

He could not be contacted by TWG on Wednesday evening.

On the path ahead, Amini added: "My 12 months in Germany have been really enjoyable and a pretty steep learning curve.

"But I can confidently say I have developed my game and that will hopefully continue.

"I'm open minded about the journey and understand that to get to the top it takes time - and time is what I have."

The Young Socceroos head to Turkey pre-tournament training camp in Antalya where they will play Chile’s U-20 side on Sunday 16 June before beginning their 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup campaign against Colombia in Trabzon on Saturday 22 June (Sunday 23 June - Kick-off 1am AEST).

• Like 1

Very interesting read...Paul Okon sounds like he isn't selecting impartially or objectively.

Sounds like he doesn't think Amini fits into his plans and Amini is having a sook because he thinks he is some hot shot when he struggles to get game time in the 3rd division of Germany :up:

Very interesting read...Paul Okon sounds like he isn't selecting impartially or objectively.

Sounds like he doesn't think Amini fits into his plans and Amini is having a sook because he thinks he is some hot shot when he struggles to get game time in the 3rd division of Germany :up:

Kid training with Champions League finalist who tore up the A-League last year and has represented Australia at this level before v  Halgi Galgor?

Know who i'd pick.

*aware of hypocrisy of not selecting impartially + objectively, but i'm not the coach so idgaf*

Edited by Che

De Silva should have had a second. But you have gotta take a draw against Colombia.

I don't know, we out played them for most of the game. We should have put them to bed early.

I think a draw was a fair indication of the game. Both teams had chances and on any other day it could have gone 3 or 4 nil to either side.

To put the game into perspective for those that didn't see, the Aussies played "football", real football last night. Columbia are Sth American champs, ahead of brazil, ahead of Argentina etc and we equalled them in passing, technique, ball contol, planning, the lot. In total I think Columbia went route one more times than the Aussies! When has that ever happened!

Some of these boys will go to big clubs after this world cup if they can string together another performance like that, even if they don't go through to the next round, guaranteed. The commentator kept mentioning where each of the Colombian players were heading next season - ac Milan etc. And the next minute one of our boys skips around them and you think, the future socceroos are going to be something special.

To be honest, I would like to see most of these boys play in the east Asian cup next year. With these guys being from the A League or fringe players in Europe it would be a great chance formthem. Better than playing some older a league guys who will never play for the socceroos in a full strength team.

• Like 1

De Silva should have had a second. But you have gotta take a draw against Colombia.

I don't know, we out played them for most of the game. We should have put them to bed early.

As drcolossus1 stated previously they are south American champions, which says a whole heap about how well we played and what a good result a draw is.

As drcolossus1 stated previously they are south American champions, which says a whole heap about how well we played and what a good result a draw is.

Not taking anything away from them not am I disregarding the points you guys are making, but I truly believe that we should have won. Our style of play was amazing. To see people in the green and gold perform like that is brilliant. Just need to convert more.

Speed kills. Our speed on and off the ball was great. We should have fucking raped those cocaine suppliers. A draw was a win for them.