Melbourne Football

Grant Holt

Braveheart

Heart also hasn't given up hope of luring English Premier League striker Grant Holt to Melbourne.

The club has three foreign player spots still available.

It intended using one on Englishman Holt, although the chances of doing so are appearing less likely.

It is believed Holt is open to a move to Australia.

The 32-year-old spent time in Perth, playing for state league side Sorrento, as a youngster and he appears to be on the outer at Norwich, given the club recently paid about $12.5 million for Dutch striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel.

But the Canaries captain still has two years left on his contract, meaning Heart must make a sizeable transfer bid - the first of which has been rejected.

Reports in the British press have suggested Holt is valued at about $3 million.

Heart football operations manager John Didulica has been in contact with Norwich several times during the week.

Maybe not completely done and dusted then..?

Got everything crossed, make this happen ffs!!

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-waits-on-contract-decision-from-harry-kewell/story-fnhq6mx8-1226654893306

I would be amazed if we got him.

He would easily be the best striker in the league. The guy not only has the skill but gives his all every match. Will be a cult hero the likes we haven't seen before. Yes I will say bigger than GS. That may get me into some strife.

One question though, Norwich want £2 million plus Holt would want $1 million. Where in the world are we getting the $4 million to pull this off?

Yep, you're in trouble now!

I am thinking the only way this will happen is if Norwich terminate Holt's contract. Whilst we seem to be able to afford his wages, I don't see Heart spending good dollars on a transfer fee.

There just has to be plenty in this that we don't know about. We wouldn't be doing this unless we believed that we had a reasonable chance of getting him. Otherwise it's a complete waste of time, taking into account that he's under contract etc. etc. 

I'd rather Ricky Van Wolfswinkle... What a name!!!!

Yeah, could be a case of Grant being very keen for the relocation and Norwich understandably wanting some $ in return. Because this hasn't died like we expected. Funny that the older stories state sunderland are interested. My A-League team competing with my PL team for a signature is pretty crazy!

What ever happens love the club being ambitions and it's obvious that there's financial backing which is nothing but encouraging.

There just has to be plenty in this that we don't know about. We wouldn't be doing this unless we believed that we had a reasonable chance of getting him. Otherwise it's a complete waste of time, taking into account that he's under contract etc. etc.

I agree. I heard something about us offering $1 million for him that was rejected. So that would be £660,000 or so. Way off the Canaries valuation.

There has to be more since it hasn't died and we are still negotiating.

I hope it happens. People will underestimate Holt as a marquee but they will be surprised. He will bang in the goals for fun here.

No point even talking about it. You really think norwich will release Holt with 2 years left on his contract? They said they want 2 mil, we dont have 2 mil. End of.

maybe even a loan is an option? he's taking up pretty high wages at norwich, if the club doesn't see him in their plans for next season they would be trying to at least get his wages off the books

No point even talking about it. You really think norwich will release Holt with 2 years left on his contract? They said they want 2 mil, we dont have 2 mil. End of.

I disagree. We knew what the situation was before we made the approach. If we didn't have access to a realistic transfer fee we would not have made an approach. I think we have someone willing to stump a good deal of money to secure Holt if we can get agreement from Norwich, and who knew that Holt was prepared to consider the move. JD is still in contact with them - why bother if we know we will fail anyway?

• Like 1

why bother if we know we will fail anyway?

Yes coz this club never moves for players they know they haven't a chance in the world of signing...

Its not like we just tell the media we're after Ronaldo and Beckham to get our name in the papers.. Not Scott Munns style huh?

why bother if we know we will fail anyway? Yes coz this club never moves for players they know they haven't a chance in the world of signing...

Its not like we just tell the media we're after Ronaldo and Beckham to get our name in the papers.. Not Scott Munns style huh?

If you don't try, you don't get these sort of players. Who'd of thought the league would actually get ADP, Hesky or Fowler?

why bother if we know we will fail anyway? Yes coz this club never moves for players they know they haven't a chance in the world of signing...

If you don't try, you don't get these sort of players. Who'd of thought the league would actually get ADP, Hesky or Fowler?

Thats my point, Munn says he didnt want to get a big name coz he wanted to develop youth.. Yet over the last couple of years his flogged Beckham, Ronaldo and now Holt... but nothing ever happens. He plays us all as fools.

Heres a reality check. We have Jason Hoffman on our books and we just finished 9th in the league.

• Like 1

Thats my point, Munn says he didnt want to get a big name coz he wanted to develop youth.. Yet over the last couple of years his flogged Beckham, Ronaldo and now Holt... but nothing ever happens. He plays us all as fools.

Heres a reality check. We have Jason Hoffman on our books and we just finished 9th in the league.

Who else do you want? Jason Hoffman 2013-14 golden boot and player of the year. :)

If not then I wonder if Mario Gomez might come down under?

A few weeks ago people were saying that the club had no ambition. Didn't want to win silverware. That 'breaking even' was more important.

Now we're showing some ambition. But still copping criticism.

Some people are never satisfied.

Some people like to complain for the sake of complaining mate, I hear ya.

A few weeks ago people were saying that the club had no ambition. Didn't want to win silverware. That 'breaking even' was more important. Now we're showing some ambition. But still copping criticism. Some people are never satisfied.

The fact that we have at least made contact with Norwich makes me feel much better about the club.

I am still expecting them to fuck it up, but I am glad they are trying and also that there is some positive talk about us.

Holt would be a great addition to the squad. And for those of you playing the whole "munn said youth" blah blah blah... You'd rather our youth of tomorrow were learning from each other? Or the likes of Holt, Kewell, Garcia etc?

Balance is the key here.

• Like 1

Bozza: "And for those of you playing the whole "munn said youth" blah blah blah... You'd rather our youth of tomorrow were learning from each other? Or the likes of Holt, Kewell, Garcia etc?

Balance is the key here."

My reply: There's no such things as "our youth of tomorrow" in a low, salary capped league. Because if the young players are good, we promptly lose them to other competitions in Asia and Europe that have no salary caps in place.

at the end of the day, this is a potential target that is not only realistic but a good move for the club and the league.

despite consistently breaking even, we are showing ambition to push for a higher place in the league.

A few weeks ago people were saying that the club had no ambition. Didn't want to win silverware. That 'breaking even' was more important.

Now we're showing some ambition. But still copping criticism.

Some people are never satisfied.

in regards to the highlighted section, you flogs complaining could always suggest another positive suggestion not just talking about how shit we apparently are...

for the record, no club ever signed a player without an approach. if this deal doesnt happen, it doesnt happen. move on...

• Like 2

The specific words that Munn used on SEN earlier today about Holt were interesting:

“He is an interesting one, that’s a bit more complicated, he’s a club captain there, he’s got two years to go on his contract, but they’ve just spent 8.5 million pounds on a dutch striker, so clearly his position there is under a bit more pressure.

“He played here as a 17-year old in Perth, we’ve talked to him, he’s keen, and he’s certainly interested in Australia. But the complexity is he’s still under contract and would need to be released,” said Munn.

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article/Munn-still-hopeful-of-Kewells-signature/59683

Ray Gatt, of the Australian, also said on Saturday that "Heart has been in negotiations with his agent for some time". It looks like Heart and Holt see eye to eye, and the main sticking point is Norwich City.

It would still be something of a coup, but nonetheless it's positive to hear that Heart has the ability to attract interest from players like Grant Holt.

Edited by Murfy1

Surely we could use some of the money from Babalj x2, Behich, Marrone, Good, Hamill transfers to help fund this.

They were used to break even.

I think we have given our first offer which was around the £660,000 mark from what I was told or $1 million AUD if you will. Norwich are after £2 million so we are way short of that.

I think if we can give them £1 million we may e a chance if he desperately wants to make a new life in Australia. Since he is not going to a rival they may see favourably to this.

It's all based on rumours and innuendo though. Hope they can pull this off.

• Like 1

I'd be interested to know whether, up to now, an A-League club has paid a transfer fee to another club to effect a transfer? The usual thing seems to focus on players who are, or are coming, out of contract, and is very limiting.

If we're prepared to pay a fee for Grant Holt, perhaps we are also for other players? That puts quite a different perspective on we have been speaking to - remember, seven players to fill three visa positions.

Feel good about this, even if nothing comes of it immediately. If Holt doesn't come this season, maybe next.

Edited by jw1739