Melbourne Football

Harry Kewell

Murfy1

He once was blue, but now is red

Robbed Victory and then he fled,

Sets them up, scores them too

and he plays for us and not for you.

PERFECT!! what a joke Only joke here is you for signing up to a melbourne heart forum hahaha well done!

ive been reading heart forums for a while, decided to join out of frustration of the harry signing

He once was blue, but now is red

Robbed Victory and then he fled,

Sets them up, scores them too

and he plays for us and not for you.

PERFECT!! what a joke

You mad sweetie :up:

not mad, just frustrated that we booed this guy and now we are meant to love him - no way

• Like 1

The butthurt from Victory fans is unbelievable 

BL-wljiCAAABeEQ.jpg

but we are a circus and a laughing stock of the a league, why cant we be original instead of a victory wanna be club

Are you mad at the fact he cost your club millions, whilst not playing at his best during the first half of the season, or purely because he is coming to play football for us and not fishing for money? 

Also how sad is your life to make an account on the oppositions forum, to try and act somewhat 'internet tough' and poorly troll people?

opposition? heart member - just annoyed that we cant be original and not follow the other bunch

Just returned from the under 8/9 training. When one of my sons asked the coach who supports the visitors if he would be going to the first game of the season, I chipped in with "that will be our first chance to see our Harry Kewell".

The look on his face was worth this signing alone. Regardless of the outcome, this is brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

I know people are saying Harry won't have the impact of new fans coming on board but from my experience he has made significant difference already. So many non football people I know have asked to come with me to the Heart games this year because Harry is there.

Like I wanted the club to do in so many aspects, is promote and get interest into the club. Harry has stamped us as a part of Melbourne with particularly non football people I have found. In my world anyway.

I think we will see a very good Harry Kewell play for us now. If he fires, it's going to bring in a lot of people. He has ammo now to succeed.

• Like 1

I`ve never liked him as a person and i no for a fact he wouldn`t care. :D

Can someone please explain to me the Harry hate. I'm serious. I've only been into football for about five years and I guess I have mostly paid attention to the A-League. It seems like every second person wants to point out they don't like him. When he was signing for the mongs it was all about how he was in it for the money and especially how he was injury prone. Well he ended up playing most of the season but no one seems to mention that. Then there was talk about him signing for us and the talk was all about how he was using us to get a better offer and also waiting for the Socceroos to qualify for Brazil. But then he signed before we'd qualified... And as far as leaving Victory after a year is concerned can anyone blame him? What a horrible year that would have been playing for two average coaches in a divided team with Muscat hanging around like a bad smell. 

I've seen his highlights and it seems to me he was a world class player back in his day. He has scored some important goals for Australia and I was particularly impressed by his confident first penalty in the shootout against Uruguay in 2006. 

I have not seen a lot of interviews with him but one I saw between him and Foster he came across as intelligent enough and not so full of himself as many seem to think. 

I mean come on. He's been named Australia's best player and was carving up the EPL when a kid. He's good looking and has lived a good life. Surely he deserves a little leeway to be a bit arrogant. 

I honestly would like to know is there something a bit more concrete that makes so many people hate him? I'm sick of reading " I don't like the guy" like people have been personally insulted by him.

So please tell me why he's such a dickhead. Is it the English accent? Is it just tall poppy syndrome? Is it because he's talanted and good looking? What has he done to deserve the hate? 

Edited by alexandro
  • Like 3

Can someone please explain to me the Harry hate. I'm serious. I've only been into football for about five years and I guess I have mostly paid attention to the A-League. It seems like every second person wants to point out they don't like him. When he was signing for the mongs it was all about how he was in it for the money and especially how he was injury prone. Well he ended up playing most of the season but no one seems to mention that. Then there was talk about him signing for us and the talk was all about how he was using us to get a better offer and also waiting for the Socceroos to qualify for Brazil. But then he signed before we'd qualified... And as far as leaving Victory after a year is concerned can anyone blame him? What a horrible year that would have been playing for two average coaches in a divided team with Muscat hanging around like a bad smell. 

I've seen his highlights and it seems to me he was a world class player back in his day. He has scored some important goals for Australia and I was particularly impressed by his confident first penalty in the shootout against Uruguay in 2006. 

I have not seen a lot of interviews with him but one I saw between him and Foster he came across as intelligent enough and not so full of himself as many seem to think. 

I mean come on. He's been named Australia's best player and was carving up the EPL when a kid. He's good looking and has lived a good life. Surely he deserves a little leeway to be a bit arrogant. 

I honestly would like to know is there something a bit more concrete that makes so many people hate him? I'm sick of reading " I don't like the guy" like people have been personally insulted by him.

So please tell me why he's such a dickhead. Is it the English accent? Is it just tall poppy syndrome? Is it because he's talanted and good looking? What has he done to deserve the hate? 

Mate, you make some good points. No doubt he's been a class player. I think much of the suspicion and dislike is related to his partnership with his old agent, Bernie Mandic. For me, my suspicion of Harry probably began a few years ago when Mike Cockerill wrote a couple of articles questioning his commitment to the Socceroos, and for memory, his observations of Kewell being somewhat aloof and outside the team environment in a Socceroo training camp. The articles seemed to confirm an image of Kewell as doing what he wants on his own terms, and falling into team comitments when it suited his own interests. Now whether the article was fair or not, Mandic reacted savagely towards Cockerill, a respected journalist, and it turned into a public spat when Cockerill reported it. Which only helped to create the impression of Kewell and Mandic were more interested in controlling their carefully crafted public image of Kewell than anything else. Because, given the value of his endorsements, Kewell's public image is crucial. Apart from that:

- Leeds fans hate him because of the way he left, although I'm not sure what happened, and then because he later signed for Galatasaray, where a couple of Leeds fans were killed in a Champions League tie or something. Lack of loyalty to the club which gave him his start and where he bacame a star.

- The drawn out negotiations when he signed for Victory - again Mandic being the architect, playing clubs off against each other, using media interviews to put pressure on clubs or FFA to offer more money . . .

- The way he left Victory. Of course, the mother in law is the reason given, but he gave the club no warning he would leave, he was negotiating a $1m a season deal to extend/complete his contract and spoke to them the week of his decision to leave, and gave them the impression he would be staying. 

Anyway, it's not hard to get the impression that Kewell's and Mandic's loyalty was always to enriching the small empire they had built together, and not to any other purpose.

But, he's a top class player, and we need some real class.

And, he's done nothing wrong by us. Modest contract, no drawn out difficult negotiation.

And he's split with Mandic, and also the other agent he used for a while who seemed to do very little for him.

So at this stage, I think he could be good for us. Even if you don't like him, he's capable of redemption. I've said before that he needs to earn my respect here, and if he puts in, plays well, and doesn't see himself as bigger than the club, I'm happy to support him.

• Like 1

- The way he left Victory. Of course, the mother in law is the reason given, but he gave the club no warning he would leave, he was negotiating a $1m a season deal to extend/complete his contract and spoke to them the week of his decision to leave, and gave them the impression he would be staying. 

Anyway, it's not hard to get the impression that Kewell's and Mandic's loyalty was always to enriching the small empire they had built together, and not to any other purpose.

Surely the $1m a season would go some way to "enriching the empire". I know he did leave Victory in a very awkward and messy fashion, but I find it strange that so many are so quick to call bullshit on the mother in law story and write it off as Kewell chasing the $$$$ when he was clearly being offered a very good deal to stay at Victory on top of pre-existing sponsorship contracts, and there has never been an indication that even one club from anywhere else offered him terms at all, let alone in the vicinity of Victory's offer.

I just can't see someone as experienced as him and his management team turning their back on an offer like Victory's unless they had a better offer signed and sealed, unless there were considerable personal reasons at play.

Mate, you make some good points. No doubt he's been a class player. I think much of the suspicion and dislike is related to his partnership with his old agent, Bernie Mandic. For me, my suspicion of Harry probably began a few years ago when Mike Cockerill wrote a couple of articles questioning his commitment to the Socceroos, and for memory, his observations of Kewell being somewhat aloof and outside the team environment in a Socceroo training camp. The articles seemed to confirm an image of Kewell as doing what he wants on his own terms, and falling into team comitments when it suited his own interests. Now whether the article was fair or not, Mandic reacted savagely towards Cockerill, a respected journalist, and it turned into a public spat when Cockerill reported it. Which only helped to create the impression of Kewell and Mandic were more interested in controlling their carefully crafted public image of Kewell than anything else. Because, given the value of his endorsements, Kewell's public image is crucial. Apart from that:

- Leeds fans hate him because of the way he left, although I'm not sure what happened, and then because he later signed for Galatasaray, where a couple of Leeds fans were killed in a Champions League tie or something. Lack of loyalty to the club which gave him his start and where he bacame a star.

- The drawn out negotiations when he signed for Victory - again Mandic being the architect, playing clubs off against each other, using media interviews to put pressure on clubs or FFA to offer more money . . .

But, he's a top class player, and we need some real class.

And, he's done nothing wrong by us. Modest contract, no drawn out difficult negotiation.

And he's split with Mandic, and also the other agent he used for a while who seemed to do very little for him.

So at this stage, I think he could be good for us. Even if you don't like him, he's capable of redemption. I've said before that he needs to earn my respect here, and if he puts in, plays well, and doesn't see himself as bigger than the club, I'm happy to support him.

Love both these posts from Sash and Alexandro.

Cant agree more. Loved him before he went to the Victory but ive been able to forgive and forget :D

Just bought a Liverpool and Socceroos Jumper signed by Harry and as soon as i get him to sign a Heart jumper I'll have em both framed together... 

Going straight into the theatre room :)

• Like 1

theatre room :)

Pool room?

Only have a theatre room mate. 

Just as good trust me.

Great to watch away games on lol

Already told the mrs... theater room is a must!

Well i havent got the Theatre room just yet. Building my house at the moment but will have it once its built.

Already got a few bits of memorabilia to hang up in there.

theatre room :)

Pool room?

Only have a theatre room mate. 

Just as good trust me.

Great to watch away games on lol

Already told the mrs... theater room is a must!

Well i havent got the Theatre room just yet. Building my house at the moment but will have it once its built.

Already got a few bits of memorabilia to hang up in there.

Same, got Cahill and Socceroo's memorabilia as well as Stuff from movies, ie: Batman trilogy signed memorabilia, etc.

Libba, refer to the new thread "Pimp My House" in the club room section for theater room chat. thanks :D

Edited by Deviate

Okay great I think I understand a bit better the reasons for Kewell hate. Thanks Sash for the thorough run down. And Jimmy point taken! 

I see no solid reason to dislike him though. So I guess I'm lucky- I will be able to cheer him when he plays for Heart. 

I should say, I've done a bit of research and I mixed up a couple of facts about the Mike Cockerill article and Kewell's response. Here's the original article, a couple of responses if anyone's interested, which centred around Australia's opening game of the 2010 world cup:

http://www.smh.com.au/world-cup-2010/world-cup-news/more-substance-less-style-please-harry-20100615-yddc.html

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/archive/sportold/harry-haters-not-telling-whole-story/story-fn4l4sip-1225881566710

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/soccer/1604-world-cup-2010-blog-harry-versus-the-world

http://www.smh.com.au/world-cup-2010/world-cup-news/why-im-standing-by-every-single-word-ive-written-20100617-yjw6.html

Kewell's commitment to the Socceroos has been questioned at times, but on the other hand, he had a terrible run of injuries for much of his career. Also, in earlier days, many of our best players playing in Europe found it hard to come back to play for Australia in all but the most important games due to pressure from the clubs who were paying their wages.

I still think, however, that when Kewell came to play in the A League the first time, he had a chance to dispel some of the criticisms and negative impressions that some people, like me, have had about him. And I don't think he did, given the circus - which Victory seemed more than happy to participate in - overshadowed what he did on the pitch. This is an article from Jesse Fink which expresses the frustration of the Mandic negotiating tactics during the Victory saga: http://jessefink.com.au/2011/07/weve-had-a-gutful-bernie/

But all of that is in the past and none of that really matters much anymore. We've given him another chance to remind everyone what he can do. It's his last chance and he'll have all the motivation of Brazil. I'm becoming more hopeful that it can work out well for both Kewell and the club. The difference between his arrival at Victory and us is like night and day.

Edited by Sash