Melbourne Football

Melbourne Derby Round 1

Tbitm

Despite all the talk that they were gonna wait a few rounds for the derbies according to the courier mail its happening round 1

It's understood the Roar will travel to New Zealand in round one to take on Wellington Phoenix.

In other opening round fixtures, the Victory will meet the Heart in the Melbourne derby, Adelaide United will do battle with Perth Glory, and Central Coast Mariners and Western Sydney Wanderers will clash in a grand final re-match.

And to me, it suggests that it will be at AAMI since it says "meet the Heart" but i could be looking into it too much. If this is to be true i reckon it'll be Friday night again as that would be a good way to showcase the first FTA game to Australia.

Reading this did get me pumped though even though we're something like 145 days out

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/eight-brisbane-roar-games-to-be-broadcast-live-on-sbs-next-season/story-fnec4zuc-1226647839853

Edited by Tbitm

I love derbies, but am i the only person who thinks round 1 is a bit too early to have it??

Or if you're going to have it, have it as the opening game, the melbourne derby is clearly the biggest game outside of the gf

What is your point/view? :hmm:

Or is this just some form of new age poem? :hmm:

• Like 1

we also get 5 friday night games and 8 fridays overall

I'm happy to have our away games on free telly (better than a dodgy internet stream), but what is the point of having home games on if you are in the stadium watching them?

For potential New Supporters to see the League's bigger games.

The Free to Air TV wont really affect my own support of MH (Or many others) much at all.

As even if the game is Free To Air I will still be heading to The Gimp to watch the match with the rest of the lads.

I love derbies, but am i the only person who thinks round 1 is a bit too early to have it??

Or if you're going to have it, have it as the opening game, the melbourne derby is clearly the biggest game outside of the gf

Or is this just some form of new age poem? :hmm: Lol was more or less saying that every season they should open the season with the derby or not have it at all in the first round. Just like in the AFL, how they always open with Richmond vs Carlton, the season needs to start off with a bang. The first game needs to be s derby or some type of rivalry, I don't understand why there starring off with newy vs Sydney as there is no big rivalry there. Derby/ rivalry games generate more intrest and a bigger build up to the season rather than just playing any two teams

Edited by kingofhearts

Or is this just some form of new age poem? :hmm: Lol was more or less saying that every season they should open the season with the derby or not have it at all in the first round. Just like in the AFL, how they always open with Richmond vs Carlton, the season needs to start off with a bang. The first game needs to be s derby or some type of rivalry, I don't understand why there starring off with newy vs Sydney as there is no big rivalry there. Derby/ rivalry games generate more intrest and a bigger build up to the season rather than just playing any two teams

I would not say around any Newy fans that they have no serious Rivalry with Sydney FC as they detest them with a passion easily as big as the one they have for CCM.

Edited by cadete

Round 1 is almost as good as to call it a "Rivalry Round"; You got the Melbourne Derby, 2 x NSW matches, Perth Vs their arch nemesis, Adelaide and since Brisbane is the last QLD club standing they get the only club left standing in NZ.

Yes I know, in a perfect "Rivalry Round" it would be (probably in order of importance):

1. MBV v MHT

2. SFC v WSW

3. NEW v CCM

4. PTH v ADU

5. BNR v WEL

But hey, the current fixture is an amazing way to kick off next season!! I cannot WAIT!! 

Round 1 is almost as good as to call it a "Rivalry Round"

Please don't.

I would not say around any Newy fans that they have no serious Rivalry with Sydney FC as they detest them with a passion easily as big as the one they have for CCM.

I also think the FFA saw how big the Heskey vs Alex match was last season, and think this will be a big drawcard again. Sadly at this point I believe that the general aussie public are more interested in the big players than the big games, which explains the FFA's reasoning...

Still think the derby is a bit wasted in round 1.  The build up to the season is pretty big in itself, and having the derby a few weeks later just keeps the momentum building.  There's enough interest in round 1 (new players, new tactics, new beginning etc.) to get people to the games without needing the derby.

• Like 2

Just a reminder that "Two Home Derbies" means "Two Larger YSIDE Derby Tifos" so if you wish to help in person or even by donation as the season draws closer apply within!

How come we can't have a tifo at eitihad too? :P

Just make a 20 foot wide two stick.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

to be frank, i love that the derby is round 1.  its always gonna get a big crowd so the publicity will be there, and it tells football fans the season is on.

as a reminder from last season, the weekend after the derby Heart played to an 11,000 home crowd against .... wait for it .... Wellington!!!  Since when would or could Heart expect that many against the Phoenix when the best we usually get to a Sydney game is between 6000 and 7500?  Even then the previous season we only got 6,700 to the Phoenix game at AAMI.

Plus it was our first home game and everyone still had high hopes after winning round 1.

Sadly this, it was mainly big cause our fans had such high hopes of the season after an underdog win against the visitors. Then the 11k had a reality check that it was just a one off good performance when we drew with Wellington's 'C' team.

• The signing of a marquee and a few other exciting players
  • A big lead up to the season
  • A dominating win against the visitors in round 1 with kewell and our marquee starring
  • The VPL final to be played after our first home match with 2 well supported VPL teams playing

Should see us get 15k+ in our first home match against CCM

• The VPL final to be played after our first home match with 2 well supported VPL teams playing

Are you sure it's not before the game like last year?

It was after.

The reason I don't like the derby being in Round 1 is if we lose...then our first home game against a team that IIRC we have beaten only once...I would have much preferred us to have a few weeks to settle down and get a few results before coming up against MV. I can see people holding off memberships until they're convinced we're better than last year.

Edited by jw1739

Plus it was our first home game and everyone still had high hopes after winning round 1.

i don't buy into it purely being the first round result plus being Heart's first home game for the 11k against Wellington.  in season 2 Heart (for memory) had shown some very positive glimpses away to Newcastle and had gotten a poor refereeing decision in the 3-2 away loss before playing Perth in Heart's first home game - they only got 7.5k.  They outplayed the visitors the next week but poor work in the final third left it at 0-0 (and subsequently got less than 6k at home to Sydney the next week).  all after playing the visitors in front of nearly 40k - they would have seen Heart where the better team on the night and trumped a team with Kewell; something that should have then (by your argument) added a bit more faith.

Still think the derby is a bit wasted in round 1.  The build up to the season is pretty big in itself, and having the derby a few weeks later just keeps the momentum building.  There's enough interest in round 1 (new players, new tactics, new beginning etc.) to get people to the games without needing the derby.

here's the thing tho IF we do say it comes down to specifically that game at the start of last season; if the result and performance have such a big impact then doesn't it suggest that Heart are better off having an away derby first up and thus it goes  against your original argument?

yes part of it will come down to getting results, but there is no shore fire way to guarantee that; just take a look at Sydney last term with del Pierro.  in a competition, league and sport where for every winner there must be a loser, surely it makes a bigger impact to get the news right coming into round 1 than in round 5 on the hope that the team has gone extremely well.

with all the news and anticipation around Kewell's signature, that makes the first game an absolute buzz.  Heart can only benefit from that.  any signing that Heart make that sends up the visitors is going to trump the combination of multiple signings that sends up various other clubs around the league - ultimately that goes towards Heart playing Victory round 1.

You're massively omitting the VPL final.

tbh i didnt even know/realise there was a game afterwards and by all means it would go towards adding to the numbers that day (however it is something that may point to the fact that other Heart members/fans would have been in the same boat and thus the game had a reduced impact); is there a way we can verify their general crowds because while there would be an impact it would be interesting to see. 

Edited by mattyh001

I think our history against Central Coast will begin to even up in the coming years. We have never done terribly against them, no more than a two goal defeat if i recall correctly? Now that Bojic has left them, surely that means we can keep a clean sheet against them! But they've lost a lot of key players, although Sainsbury has returned (for the time being), I'm confident we can achieve a victory in our first home match at this point in time. It'll be interesting to see who they bring in though.

I'm so far aware of:

Pedj Bojic - Sydney F.C.
Mat Ryan - Club Brugge
Bernie Ibini - Some Chinese club
Patrick Zwaansvijk - Retirement

*I imagine an overseas club will come to poach Sainsbury