Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

So no one rates him at all??

Before he done his knee last season, he'd already had 10 assists and he got injured earlier on in the season.

They only reason he's not getting a start is becuase Nicholls has been playing well.

Yeah but any other player in the league could have made those assists..

He is nothing special, im sure there are kids in the state leagues around Australia who are just as good, if not better than him...

We already have players who could have a greater impact than him, all we just need to do is fucking use them.. (Mauk, Gooch, Retre)

• Like 2

Before he done his knee last season, he'd already had 10 assists and he got injured earlier on in the season.

They only reason he's not getting a start is becuase Nicholls has been playing well.

He is nothing special, im sure there are kids in the state leagues around Australia who are just as good, if not better than him...

We already have players who could have a greater impact than him, all we just need to do is fucking use them.. (Mauk, Gooch, Retre)

I think you're wrong.

Yes.

Another MV player is desperately what we need.

I wouldnt care if he's Victory or not.

He's quality. Simple as that

im good. 

would much rather see Mauk or The Gooch be starting for us.

Mauk look like he has some ability

I think you're wrong.

I feel that ATM there is a general theme going around on this Forum from a lot of posters who are presuming that JA's reluctance to play the younger players on our list is one the reasons for our performances. Therefore they presume that these young players are therefore all good players, who should be being played most week and be given at least contracts for next season.

Maybe these players are going to be very good players (Mauk obviously has some talent for one) however the reality is that nobody has really seen enough of these guys really be able to access them properly. I dont think many on here would have seen much of these players even at NYL Level - Which regardless is not the greatest judge on how they will make as senior players.

I think many of us have seen enough of senior players, like Ramsay, Gerhardt, Hoffman and maybe a few others, to know they are not that special and haven't played all that well this season. 

So for me the question is: how bad can our young players be? We've seen mediocre and bad performances from our senior players, so maybe our young players are as good or better. They at least deserve a few games after the poor form exhibited by a number of senior team players. And many have had decent cameos in the senior team (and the NYL counts for something, and our young players do pretty well there too IMO). And many of our young players are now on senior contracts (Walker, Mauk, Garuccio and Vrankovic always was), so the coaching staff think they are good as well.

So I think our young players at least deserve a few more games, not because I simplistically think they are all potential world beaters, but because I don't think a handful or our senior team players have done enough to hold down their respective spots week after week. 

It should be pointed out that our young players won't be that young come the end of the season as well (Vrankovic is 20, Walker is 20, Garuccio is 18, Mauk is 18). Now is when they should be proving they can play good regular senior team football. And they at least deserve chances to prove themselves. 

P.S. If Vrankovic can make the Australian squad for the AFC U22 Championships, he should be getting some game time at Heart.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 4

@Murphy.  My guess is that Aloisi and the club decided that this year was going to be about results, and not taking risks with youth.  Which to begin with might have been a reasonable approach.  Now that the season is dead and buried more or less, it not be unreasonable to give the young guys more game time, may be they start coming good in the latter part of the season and have momentum going in to next season.

Of course Aloisi on't do that because he's out to save his neck, and he believes playing kids is too much of a liability.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This guy

nl7muc.jpg

Is apparently close to signing with an A-League club:

End of a Socceroo's sojourn: Sasa Ognenovski set to return home to play in A-League again

Simon Hill EXCLUSIVE   January 6 2014

SOCCEROOS defender Sasa Ognenovski is believed to be on the brink of a return to the Hyundai A-League, bringing his five-year stint overseas to a close.

Ognenovski, who has won 22 caps for Australia, is set to leave Umm Salal in the January transfer window after the Qatari Stars League club recruited Iranian international defender Pejman Montazeri from Esteghlal on an 18-month contract on Saturday.

The giant stopper, who played for three seasons in South Korea with Seongnam before switching to the Middle East in 2012, is understood to be in talks with at least two A-League clubs about moving back to Australia.

Ognenovski turns 35 in April and was left out of the Socceroos team for its last three internationals - his last cap coming in the 6-0 loss to Brazil in September. His central defensive partner that day, Lucas Neill, is currently without a club, while goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has retired from international football.

Like Neill, the former Brisbane Roar and Adelaide United defender - who has interest from elsewhere in the Middle East and the MLS in America - knows his club future will need to be resolved quickly if he is to impress national coach Ange Postecoglou in time to earn a spot at this year's World Cup in Brazil.

Ognenovski enjoyed a rapid ascent in the professional game after winning his first A League contract with Roar at the age of 27. After appearing in the Asian Champions League Final with Adelaide United in 2008, he earned his move north. There, Ognenovski won the Asian Champions League in 2010 and also picked up individual awards in the shape of AFC Player of the Year and MVP Award in the final of the same year.

After being ignored by Pim Verbeek, he was given his Socceroos debut by Holger Osieck against Egypt in December 2010, and was part of the team that reached the Asian Cup Final in Qatar in 2011.

Ognenovski has played in 11 of Umm Salal's 13 matches this season but his team has struggled, currently lying bottom of the Qatari Stars League with just 8 points.

http://www.foxsports.com.au//football/end-of-a-socceroos-sojourn-sasa-ognenovski-set-to-return-home-to-play-in-aleague-again/story-e6frf423-1226796079869

He has said things like:

“And my wife’s the number one supporter here [at Heart]. She tries to watch them live from Korea when they play,” (http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/226821,sasa-ognenovskis-a-league-respect.aspx)

''I know 'Tezza' [Ante Milicic, Heart's assistant coach with whom Ognenovski played during his time at Brisbane Roar] and Johnny Didulica [the club's football manager],'' he said as he explained the links to the club. ''It's close to home, I live in Preston (http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/pulling-at-heart-strings-20120107-1ppho.html)

- MELBOURNE Heart coach John van't Schip has the potential to succeed Holger Osieck as Socceroos coach, says national team defender Sasa Ognenovski. [...] "He's definitely at that level and I can't see why not," Ognenovski said.

"In coaching terms, he is relatively young, so in three, four or five years he'd be somebody that you would seriously, seriously consider" (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/sasa-ognenovski-says-heart-coach-john-vant-schips-can-lead-socceroos/story-e6frfg8x-1226238958981)

Edited by Murfy1

"In coaching terms, he is relatively young, so in three, four or five years he'd be somebody that you would seriously, seriously consider" (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/sasa-ognenovski-says-heart-coach-john-vant-schips-can-lead-socceroos/story-e6frfg8x-1226238958981)

Written just after our one and only decent run of wins. 

The last thing we need is another 35-y-o signed just because he's available and is a good bloke.

If we do anything right now it should be to sign a guest striker for the last 10 games of the season.

Otherwise, our focus should be on finding the right manager to take us forward and then building an integrated and balanced squad that is capable of playing the football our new manager wants.

Out with ad hoc, in with plan.

• Like 4

The last thing we need is another 35-y-o signed just because he's available and is a good bloke.

If we do anything right now it should be to sign a guest striker for the last 10 games of the season.

Otherwise, our focus should be on finding the right manager to take us forward and then building an integrated and balanced squad that is capable of playing the football our new manager wants.

Yep, spot on.

A guest stint for a striker would be beneficial.

I think progress in all areas will become clearer once the ownership is announced which should be next week.

• Like 1

Ivory Coast striker - Sekou Cisse, released from Feyenoord

Brazilian striker - Danilo Neco, released by FC Alania Vladikavkaz

Hungarian striker - Tamas Priskin, released by FC Alania Vladikavkaz

Bolivian striker - Ricardo Pedriel, released by Sivasspor

Gambian striker - Ousman Jallow, released by Caykur Rizespor

Brazilian striker - Adi Rocha, released by Gamba Osaka.

Bulgarian striker - Valerian Bojinov, released by Sporting (has played and scored for Fiorentina, Juventus, Man City, Parma & Sporting)

All free agents, all surely better than Mifsud!

• Like 1

Ivory Coast striker - Sekou Cisse, released from Feyenoord

Brazilian striker - Danilo Neco, released by FC Alania Vladikavkaz

Hungarian striker - Tamas Priskin, released by FC Alania Vladikavkaz

Bolivian striker - Ricardo Pedriel, released by Sivasspor

Gambian striker - Ousman Jallow, released by Caykur Rizespor

Brazilian striker - Adi Rocha, released by Gamba Osaka.

Bulgarian striker - Valerian Bojinov, released by Sporting (has played and scored for Fiorentina, Juventus, Man City, Parma & Sporting)

All free agents, all surely better than Mifsud!

Bojinov is the only improvement there.

Yep, spot on.

A guest stint for a striker would be beneficial.

I think progress in all areas will become clearer once the ownership is announced which should be next week.

Cisse is an Ivory Coast international, played and scored for Feyenoord.

Having looked at the history of all players mentioned, I will have to agree to disagree with you.

To be fair though, people can say the same of Mifsud: played and scored for Coventry in the English Championship (not that much worse, if any than a lot of the teams in Eredisivie) as well as the Bundesliga, albeit a fairly unsuccessful spell.

Out of that list I'd also only take Bojinov (and MAYBE Priskin), otherwise we'd be leaving behind Mifsud to pick up another striker who could also not perform for us.

Edited by King Malta

Getting a striker in on a 10 game guest player contract would be a very good idea IMO. And I think some of the names suggested in this thread could do the job.

The 29 year old Albanian striker Hamdi Salihi is another good option IMO. His contract with a Chinese club just finished a few days ago and he's now a free agent. Could possibly be our own Rank Despotovic, or better.

On another topic, it's interesting that there's no talk of Heart re-signing players for next season, especially given how few players we have signed on for longer than this season. Perth, since the season began, have apparently re-signed several of their players. This could partially be because of the pending takeover, and Sidwell and co. are leaving such matters to the incoming owners. Whatever's the case, as things stand Heart have a lot of work to do to sort out next season's squad.

• Like 1

Getting a striker in on a 10 game guest player contract would be a very good idea IMO. And I think some of the names suggested in this thread could do the job.

The 29 year old Albanian striker Hamdi Salihi is another good option IMO. His contract with a Chinese club just finished a few days ago and he's now a free agent. Could possibly be our own Rank Despotovic, or better.

On another topic, it's interesting that there's no talk of Heart re-signing players for next season, especially given how few players we have signed on for longer than this season. Perth, since the season began, have apparently re-signed several of their players. This could partially be because of the pending takeover, and Sidwell and co. are leaving such matters to the incoming owners. Whatever's the case, as things stand Heart have a lot of work to do to sort out next season's squad.

My reasoning is that it would be Heart keeping faith with its supporters. I don't believe that we can finish in the top 6, but a striker with a bit of flair could deliver a few wins and a few goals and could give us something out of an absolute disaster of a season.

6,000+ though the gate with a record like ours is a demonstration of loyalty that I doubt you'd find in many other places.

As for next season Murf...I don't want us to re-sign any of the deadwood whatsoever. We must start rebuilding for the longer term. I can't stand another season with players who function for ten minutes a match or one match in ten.

• Like 1

I agree JW about rebuilding for the longer term. There will probably and deservedly be a bloodbath at the end of the season, and we'll probably axe the remaining players that we didn't axe at the end of last season. Meaning next season's (2014-2015) squad will probably be completely different to last season's (2012-13) squad, with a turnover of 20+ players.

I was more thinking of young players that we might want to re-sign for next season, so we don't have to completely rebuild for next season. Just as Perth Glory have started re-signing the likes of Chris Harold, Jack Clisby and Brandon O'Neill, I would like to see Heart tie down players like Stefan Mauk, Jeremy Walker and Ben Garuccio.