Melbourne Football

Big match friendly

Benli

Is it possible a European team will come to melbourne to face us.

Ive heard rumours of liverpool vs victory and theres ofcourse the united vs allstars

Id love to see a team like newcastle or any other mid table epl team schedule a friendly

A number of Euro leagues have a mid-winter shutdown, right in the middle of our season. I would like to see us set up a regular match against suitable Euro opposition - make it for a trophy such as a 'Friendship Cup' or whatever. I suppose the catch is the cost/benefit question - would we make enough to make it worthwhile or would we in fact lose on the whole thing?

IMO a medium-level Dutch or German team would be great - also set up some sort of long-term relationship with the Euro club in terms of player movements and loans both ways.

We need to be thinking outside the box on these things and do something no other A-League club does.

Rather than look at the big glamour clubs like Liverpool, Utd, etc possibly look at a club like FC Utrecht with Oar, Zullo and Sarota on the books. Keep the prices respectable and hope the media get onboard about some young Socceroo's returning home to play.

• Like 2

I think we should look to South America for a big friendly. Would say that Santos through Neymar would bring the crowd, likewise At. Mineiro through Ronaldinho. + Would be cheaper, and would be a good warm up for the Brazilian clubs that start in May.

Edited by Che

I think we should look to South America for a big friendly. Would say that Santos through Neymar would bring the crowd, likewise Flamengo through Ronaldinho. + Would be cheaper, and would be a good warm up for the Brazilian clubs that start in May.

Ronnies at atletico mineiro these days mate. But agree a brazilian club coming to melbourne would be awesome

Edited by Ja 27

I think we should look to South America for a big friendly. Would say that Santos through Neymar would bring the crowd, likewise Flamengo through Ronaldinho. + Would be cheaper, and would be a good warm up for the Brazilian clubs that start in May.

Ronnies at atletico mineiro these days mate. But agree a brazilian club coming to melbourne would be awesome

haha this is true, my bad.

A number of Euro leagues have a mid-winter shutdown, right in the middle of our season. I would like to see us set up a regular match against suitable Euro opposition - make it for a trophy such as a 'Friendship Cup' or whatever. I suppose the catch is the cost/benefit question - would we make enough to make it worthwhile or would we in fact lose on the whole thing?

IMO a medium-level Dutch or German team would be great - also set up some sort of long-term relationship with the Euro club in terms of player movements and loans both ways.

We need to be thinking outside the box on these things and do something no other A-League club does.

Which needs to extend to having some kind of "sister-club" in Europe.