Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

I totally agree and have always believed golgol is an untapped talent that needs to be worked with and educated (coached) and not just managed

Mate, hats off to you for getting down there so quick, watch them train and get back to us all in a matter of a couple of hours!

Love you work and commitment!  :)

Coming from a coaching background I enjoy the training just as much if not more than the match itself haha and it's not far from where I work. A note about the training ground at trinity, I walked around on the pitch a bit and found it to be in very good condition for the rain we had. This is by far the most important aspect of a training facility. Firm but still had a nice soft feel underneath. Obviously doesn't have all the other aspects a proper training facility would have, but I liked the fact it is hidden away from the anyone besides the high school from seeing it. It was actually a nice place to train I thought.

Hidden away from everyone except Marcellin boys

• Like 1

I think it's true we need better facilities. I've been to two fan forums where we were told that the club was expecting government funding for the development of La Trobe. It looks like it hasn't been approved yet. And the longer we go without an announcement, the harder it is to be confident that it will happen. Something needs to happen. I dont think we can afford to keep going year after year with poor training facilities.

Well said.

It's a major issue that the club for now three years have not been totally upfront about. They say one thing and it doesn't occur.

One of many points the club is lacking. Needs addressing.

Why do Vizitards get to train at Gosford's Paddock?

couldnt we have got in first/why didnt we?

Victory is based at AAMI park and the lexus centre I beleive, since their inception and they share with storm and Collingwood from memory. If what is said about Karagounis looking at the facilities then we would have no chance. In fact I think in an article some time ago it said we have the worst facilites in the league. Ill try and find it.

In the mean time...

world class :P

839528-heart.jpg

also getting a little nervous about this marquee if Victory pull off Karagounis

Nobody shares Westpac Centre (no longer called Lexus Centre) with Collingwood FC......its always been for their use and their use only.

At the back of Westpac Centre, what use to be Olympic Park, is now Collingwood's training ground, which is open to public when Collingwood are not using it. Their old training ground, at Gotch's Paddock in now used by Melbourne FC.

In between Gotch's Paddock and AAMI Park are the training grounds for Victory and Storm.

AAMI Park building facilities (pool and gym) are shared by Melbourne FC, Victory and Melbourne Storm.

Having said that Heart need to get off their butts and find some 21st Century facilities....we probably have the worst in the A-league and even the VPL.

From the pic above...at least the plastic chairs are in the club colours... :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

Haha I would consider those to be more maroon than red

I totally agree and have always believed golgol is an untapped talent that needs to be worked with and educated (coached) and not just managed

Mate, hats off to you for getting down there so quick, watch them train and get back to us all in a matter of a couple of hours!

Coming from a coaching background I enjoy the training just as much if not more than the match itself haha and it's not far from where I work. A note about the training ground at trinity, I walked around on the pitch a bit and found it to be in very good condition for the rain we had. This is by far the most important aspect of a training facility. Firm but still had a nice soft feel underneath. Obviously doesn't have all the other aspects a proper training facility would have, but I liked the fact it is hidden away from the anyone besides the high school from seeing it. It was actually a nice place to train I thought.

Speaking of Marcellin boys, what would it take to get Bresciano? The perfect marquee for us - still quality, hometown boy, popular and credible. I know this gets brought up every now and then. And I know he's contracted. But if we're loosening the purse strings, shouldn't we now be making a serious play for Bresc?

• Like 1

Speaking of Marcellin boys, what would it take to get Bresciano? The perfect marquee for us - still quality, hometown boy, popular and credible. I know this gets brought up every now and then. And I know he's contracted. But if we're loosening the purse strings, shouldn't we now be making a serious play for Bresc?

He'd be great for us, was solid for the Socceroos tonight.

• Like 1

Bresc would be great for us, he was good for the Socceroos tonight. He has been talked about for a while on this forum, I believe that he is still under contract in the Middle East, is that true? With all of the former Socceroos at the club, plus the fact that he is from Melbourne, if he does decide to come back to Australia I think we'd have a very good chance of signing him.

Norwich have just signed another forward in Toivonen who is a gun. Does this mean Holt can be released easier? I am thinking so.

Hopefully they dont find another club willing to meet their demands and they have to accept our lower offer. Aloisi did say Holt was keen to come here but I suppose of course Aloisi would say that in an interview.

Norwich have just signed another forward in Toivonen who is a gun. Does this mean Holt can be released easier? I am thinking so.

TransferMarkt has him at GBP7,000,000 so they've spent almost GBP20,000,000 on two strikers...on one hand they probably can't afford to keep Holt, on the other hand after spending so much on new strikers they probably want more money for Holt...

...it is looking good for us though - hopefully they agree to a GBP1,000,000 transfer fee for Holt and Heart pulls off the signing of the off-season (yes, I'd put Holt above Karagounis (if he ends up signing with Victory)).

Nobody shares Westpac Centre (no longer called Lexus Centre) with Collingwood FC......its always been for their use and their use only.

At the back of Westpac Centre, what use to be Olympic Park, is now Collingwood's training ground, which is open to public when Collingwood are not using it. Their old training ground, at Gotch's Paddock in now used by Melbourne FC.

In between Gotch's Paddock and AAMI Park are the training grounds for Victory and Storm.

AAMI Park building facilities (pool and gym) are shared by Melbourne FC, Victory and Melbourne Storm.

Having said that Heart need to get off their butts and find some 21st Century facilities....we probably have the worst in the A-league and even the VPL.

From the pic above...at least the plastic chairs are in the club colours... :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

You really dont know much about the VPL do you?

I just read this on TWG website

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1155717/Gunners-reday-to-splash-the-cash

It gives an indication of the vast gulf between Heart and the bigger clubs of Europe.

What is your point?

Edited by cadete

It gives an indication of the vast gulf between Heart and the bigger clubs of Europe.

What is your point?

Simply the difference in funding between Arsenal with a shopping budget of $110 million compared to our stretching our budget for what we class as a marquee. Nothing we didn't know already but perhaps helps to put things in context when talking players and funding.

TransferMarkt has him at GBP7,000,000 so they've spent almost GBP20,000,000 on two strikers...on one hand they probably can't afford to keep Holt, on the other hand after spending so much on new strikers they probably want more money for Holt...

...it is looking good for us though - hopefully they agree to a GBP1,000,000 transfer fee for Holt and Heart pulls off the signing of the off-season (yes, I'd put Holt above Karagounis (if he ends up signing with Victory)).

I agree that this signing for Norwich makes things look pretty good for us. They now have numerous strikers, and a Grant Holt who isn't getting any younger...

Also, I'm sure that Norwich would like to get a good amount of money for Holt, but they may well have to cut their losses. Norwich's squad had a value of 70 million euros last season (transfermarkt), and with them spending so many millions on new strikers I think there's a decent chance that Norwich might let Holt go cheaply.

Football clubs cut their losses with regards to players all the time, by the way. Manchester City lost 16 million pounds on Robinho, Liverpool lost 7 million pounds on Robbie Keane, Manchester United lost 13 million pounds on Juan Sebastian Veron and Chelsea lost 30 million pounds on Andriy Shevchenko. So surely it wouldn't be shocking if Norich didn't get one or two million pounds for Holt. Further, Holt is worth 50,000 (Australian dollars) a week, so Norwich conceivably might even consider it to be decent business if they released Holt and didn't have to pay those wages.

As last season showed, marquees for the A-League are nearly always last, after all other signings, so we'll have to wait and see what happens with Holt. Nonetheless, I reckon things are developing reasonably well.

Edited by Murfy1

What is your point?

Simply the difference in funding between Arsenal with a shopping budget of $110 million compared to our stretching our budget for what we class as a marquee. Nothing we didn't know already but perhaps helps to put things in context when talking players and funding.

I took your point, but Peter, it's not really relevant. You're comparing the war chest of one of the top clubs in the world with that of Melbourne Heart? AFAIK few A-League clubs have paid a transfer fee - the only on I have been told about is MV who apparently paid a fee for Hernandez - so basically our clubs have to look for players who are out of contract. So we're competing with other clubs in terms of wages, conditions, other factors such as Australian lifestyle etc., rather than ability to pay a transfer fee to another club.

If we're going to look at MHFC in terms of its ability to pay transfer fees then IMO we should be comparing ourselves with smaller clubs around the world in lower leagues rather than those in the EPL and the other top leagues in Europe.

And the transfer fee is not the only thing. The player still has to agree to the move. In Holt's case, he might well end up with a choice between ending his career in some place such as Grimsby, Derby, Hartlepool or Accrington, or with 5 years as a fan favourite at MHFC. I know which one I'd choose.

What is your point?

I took your point, but Peter, it's not really relevant. You're comparing the war chest of one of the top clubs in the world with that of Melbourne Heart? AFAIK few A-League clubs have paid a transfer fee - the only on I have been told about is MV who apparently paid a fee for Hernandez - so basically our clubs have to look for players who are out of contract. So we're competing with other clubs in terms of wages, conditions, other factors such as Australian lifestyle etc., rather than ability to pay a transfer fee to another club.

If we're going to look at MHFC in terms of its ability to pay transfer fees then IMO we should be comparing ourselves with smaller clubs around the world in lower leagues rather than those in the EPL and the other top leagues in Europe.

And the transfer fee is not the only thing. The player still has to agree to the move. In Holt's case, he might well end up with a choice between ending his career in some place such as Grimsby, Derby, Hartlepool or Accrington, or with 5 years as a fan favourite at MHFC. I know which one I'd choose.

Hey, don't knock Derby

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22853696

What is your point?

would take the Hartlepool gig

Massimo Ambrosini released by AC Milan and keen to continue his career abroad. At 36 he would still have a few season left in him due to his conditioning.

he is fit enough - believe me, but is going to West Ham.

sauce = http://www.football-italia.net/35220/ambrosini-confirms-west-ham-talks

been a lot more articles but CBF finding them.... :up:

heres another ambrosini one... http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4019/transfer-zone/2013/06/13/4044843/ac-milan-were-unfair-to-ambrosini-agent?ICID=HP_BN_5

“We received another offer this morning from Australia.”

"This morning"? There's no way that Heart would've have pounced that quickly, is there? That's just not our style!

If it's possible, Ambrosini would be preferable to Holt for me. Or the best midfielder we can get (Bresciano being another.) I'd be happy to get Gamiero as a striker, and between him, Kewell, Dugandzic, Golgol, and Williams, we'll be able to score if we get the midfield right. And I think it's in midfield where we're lacking at the moment.

• Like 2

Can someone who follows Italian football or Aussie/Italian culture tell me if Ambrosini would be an attractive signing on the personality side of things (eg. Popular with all supporters, not just AC Milan)

hes got anger on the field but it stops about there.

im sure hes no Seedorf or Ancelotti, but he is known for helping young players through the club. 

would be a good signing, the ultimate DM. - amazing tackles, headers, work rate, and plays the easy ball always. 

downfalls include that he rarely scores, such is his emphasis on defending.

would be a bit worried if it was the two Mas' as our CM's - lack of goals from midfield. 

all up, would be a great singing for the club, but i would have to question whether we would need Murdocca IF we do get Ambro.