Melbourne Football

Aziz Behich Gone?

Been a tough few days:

1. "that game"

2. Got the Grella news this morning

3. Now this

All ahead of one of the biggest games of the year.

I hope Aziz succeeds though. The "vibe" I get from him is that he is a hard worker- has to place him in good stead in what will be a very competitive enviornment in Turkey

IMO without a doubt the Heart player who best displayed the qualities of hard work, determination, passion and commitment that every professional footballer should have. If we had a squad of players with the qualities Aziz has we would be Premiers and Champions.

I wish the lad every success and hope that one day in the future he'll be in a Heart jersey again.

What a shame it is that we can't give these players a proper send-off at AAMI.

• Like 3

Not happy. Not happy at all. Clear Aziz at the end of our season. NOT NOW. I reckon our season is now stuffed and we probably have next to no chance of playing finals.. Why should members fork out their hard earned to watch complete crap on the pitch - I'm not going to mention any players' names. Does this club want to win anything? Does this club want to increase its membership? Does this club realise what it is doing could well be driving some members to the other team? Bet you Rojas is not leaving Victory in this transfer window. Bet you he would have been sold if playing for us. I'm not happy. Not happy at all.

• Like 1

http://au.fourfourtw...-bursaspor.aspx

Last sentence of the article... Under terms of the contract the transfer fee will remain confidential and the club will not comment.

Interesting.

Just like Marrone, hope it isnt some average fee coz if it is then questions need to be asked about the board

We'll get it out of them tomorrow! :ph34r: :ph34r:

Michael Lynch of "The Age" reports that he believes that Heart will earn $400,000 from the transfer of Aziz......

Maybe the club's business model is now to find youngsters...build them up and sell them overseas for a profit. In a league that has no relegation/promotion who cares if you finish last every season but you can sell 5 players (Good, Hamill, Babajl, Marrone and Behich) and make in excess of 1.5 million dollars in the process....aside from any gate receipts, sponsorship, and TV rights. The supporters who are turning up each week and paying good money on memberships also want some success on the field too....

I'm sure the club would've loved to have kept Aziz. If anyone who is critical of the club for selling players to cover cost has a spare million or two feel free to throw it into the coffers if you expect us to knock back clubs who want to buy our players.

As for complaint about replacements, the Australian talent that is available at the current moment is pretty scarse, we're best to blood the likes of Walker, Mitchinson, etc and wait for the off season to make some signings that can make a genuine influence. If someone of the ilk of Madaschi became available, I'm sure the club would pounce, as they have done in the past.

• Like 3

So the club is trying to bring in coin for long term profit but not caring about infield results? It's not that smart but not that stupid either

IMO i think that onfield results speak much louder because if a team does well it increases sponsorship, attendance which in turn means more gate takings and membership, also people buy merchandise if we win and then other clubs from around the world take notice because of our performance. But this year for some reason, im getting the impression that the board isnt worried about on field results and they just want a profit to help themselves

The talk of profit is ridiculous, in our 1st two seasons the rumours are that we lost between $3 - 7 million depending on who you believe. I don't begrudge the owners the opportunity to try and make a profit or break even until the new TV money comes in and their work in the grassroots begins to pay off with crowds and memberships.

As much as everyone would love Sidwell & co to be a Roman Abramovich, you can't expect them to keep throwing good money down the drain.

• Like 3

What a bunch of doubting Thomases on this forum.

Does the Board have to keep issuing statements that it wants the club to win matches? Of course it doesn't. It's taken as a given.

Our Board wants to build a sustainable football club. So would I if I were a Board member. It's the only sensible and responsible thing to do. Many clubs around the world run up horrendous debts and are only kept going by fabulously rich individuals.

• Like 2

Any player worth $1 mil should be already playing o/s without having to play in this league. Any player bought for $1mil plus is overpriced. Like someone said if rogic cant go for a mil then no one will.

Rogic had 3 months left on his contract and would go for free at the end of the year, Behich has 12-18 months so would be priced as you need to wait that long to get him for free and by then others would be keen, i agree 1 million is too much but they are not the same deal imo

What a bunch of doubting Thomases on this forum.

Does the Board have to keep issuing statements that it wants the club to win matches? Of course it doesn't. It's taken as a given.

Our Board wants to build a sustainable football club. So would I if I were a Board member. It's the only sensible and responsible thing to do. Many clubs around the world run up horrendous debts and are only kept going by fabulously rich individuals.

yep, tv deal next season, then we can hopefully afford some decent players. Surely that is in the board's thinking. It would be in mine if I was them.

I'm sure the club would've loved to have kept Aziz. If anyone who is critical of the club for selling players to cover cost has a spare million or two feel free to throw it into the coffers if you expect us to knock back clubs who want to buy our players.

As for complaint about replacements, the Australian talent that is available at the current moment is pretty scarse, we're best to blood the likes of Walker, Mitchinson, etc and wait for the off season to make some signings that can make a genuine influence. If someone of the ilk of Madaschi became available, I'm sure the club would pounce, as they have done in the past.

I liked this but well well said, people need to learn these things, yes i want success but the club runs on $$$$ not wishes, we still have alot of talent Duga, Williams, Bablj, Gol Gol, Garcia, Gerhardt, Walker ect we can come out of this imo like we did this year but better, just takes 2 good signings this off season or even now and we can be back

Aloisi last week:

“I know there’s been some offers, but [if it’s] up to me, Aziz is not going until the end of the season,” Aloisi told the press before flying to Sydney.

The Heart coach understands he doesn’t make the final call, but believes the 22-year-old is too important to lose.

“I don’t make the final decision. If the club gets a massive offer, that’s a different story.

“At the moment I don’t want to lose another player, we’ve lost quite a few players this season already and at the moment Aziz is too important for us to lose now.”

He was right.

Didulica also said they didn't want to sell him now.

So ultimately I suppose it was a board decision. I think it's short sighted. $400,000 won't mean so much when our finals prospects go down the drain and fans stop turning up. Although, given our performance against WSW, they might've made a calculated decision that our season is already gone, might as well sell, see which youth kids can play, and prepare for next year.

Sorry for the negativity, but I'm just pissed off from the combination of shit football on the weekend and suddenly losing one of our favourite players. Especially after apparent assurances that it wasn't going to happen.

Look end of the day the club has said they won't stand in the way of young players leaving. If you look at the mob down the road they don't want Rojas to leave and can afford to make that decision. Whilst I'm disappointed he is gone, like many he was one of my favourites, I respect that the club would have considered this and made what they feel is the best decision longterm. Are they right who knows? I do know how ever I'll still be turning up to support them and hope that the next kid can come through.

• Like 1

Your all suggesting that he wanted to stay...?

If his contract suggests (and im sure it does, as that's how we attract players) that if a bigger club wants him, then we are obliged to let him go... then we have no say in the matter. pay the big bucks to keep one quality player... or reinvest into our facilities, thus cementing a successful future.

MV isn't going to wait for us. We need to make moves... no player in this league would be happy in the current training facilities, but if your going to a club that is giving you a go at playing overseas, your telling me you'd stay at MV? or another top tier team?

It's meant to be a professional league! If the FFA aren't gonna fund a facility, then we need to do it ourselves. Our members aren't funding anything. We have some of the worst match day attendances and membership count in the league.

Our sponsors aren't that big. And it's hard to get more (or bigger) sponsors if we haven't got the supporter backing!

You can throw criticism as much as you want around the place, and it's a good way to vent anger, but too much will have an adverse effect. If selling Aziz is a financially tactical move, great! If it's a move backed by the board, Great! If it's a move because he, himself, made a decision on because he wants out, Great!

Players are expendable. Where there is one Aziz, there are more. (lol Broady)

We all want the best for the club, but attacking the club because of something they, presumably, had no control over is wrong. If 400k is what the negotiated price was, then great. 400k is in our pocket and we move on.

Good luck to you Aziz, we hope to see you back in Aus in the green and gold. But now we look at bringing in the youngsters and building a new facility to train in.

• Like 3

and if they negotiate too much and bursaspor lose interest...

aziz gets shitty and leaves... we get sweet fuck all.

this is a business... there always has to be a win/win situation.

this is the win/win situation!

I disagree, you should negotiate to a certain degree where you are at a comfortable price for the clubs. 400k, I'm not sure why they let him go so easily. The Turkish club wanted him, should have upped there price little by little until they came to a compromise.

That is pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. For Behich, I just can't see the logic.

Wait. We may be $400k from fucking breaking even.

Fuck you Heart board.

I think PPL need to put the Red and White glasses on the shelf for a minute, we are talking about a very good A League player...

However at the same time he has noticeable improvement needed on his Marking, Crossing and Shooting before he becomes a solid performer in the Turkish League (This is not some Balkan League destroyed by the ECL).

Also I think PPL need to factor in that Aziz is a Left Back – You dont see many Left Back’s breaking transfer records do you???

Edited by cadete

Fuck you Heart board.

I think PPL need to put the Red and White glasses on the shelf for a minute, we are talking about a very good A League player...

However at the same time he has noticeable improvement needed on his Marking, Crossing and Shooting before he becomes a solid performer in the Turkish League (This is not some Balkan League destroyed by the ECL).

Also I think PPL need to factor in that Aziz is a Left Back – You dont see many Left Back’s breaking transfer records do you???

He is the best or in the top two for his position in the A League. He is 21 years of age. He is a left back for us but can play left wing, left midfield and was a striker. So has versatility.

I just don't know how we would value him at such a low premium. He would rank very high in the top player rankings for the league, all gone for smittens.

Fuck you Heart board.

He is the best or in the top two for his position in the A League. He is 21 years of age. He is a left back for us but can play left wing, left midfield and was a striker. So has versatility.

I just don't know how we would value him at such a low premium. He would rank very high in the top player rankings for the league, all gone for smittens.

I have to disagree about him having versatility...

He played on the Wing once this Season up in Parramatta the first time and got completely destroyed - He is clearly not a good enough Shot or Cross to play further up the ground in the Turkish League.

His marking is improving but also still needs work.

He was brought on the back of his very strong performances as a LB/LWB at MH and his ability to speak Turkish and understand the Culture of his new surroundings quickly.

IMO 300K to 400K for an up and coming LB with the World Economy in bad shape is a decent amount - Not that I am happy about him departing the club.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

Increased sponsorships will come with increased attendances. Better on field performances will increase attendances. Think back to our highest home game attendance apart from the derby. It was about 11,000 in round 2 against Wellington Phoenix - the worst travelling side for attendances. The week after we defeated Victory. Losing a Socceroo for a song is not going to help us perform on the field. Actually got to feel for John Aloisi. He has seen the very promising squad he inherited at the end of last season literally torn apart through clearances and injury.

Increased sponsorships will come with increased attendances. Better on field performances will increase attendances. Think back to our highest home game attendance apart from the derby. It was about 11,000 in round 2 against Wellington Phoenix - the worst travelling side for attendances. The week after we defeated Victory. Losing a Socceroo for a song is not going to help us perform on the field. Actually got to feel for John Aloisi. He has seen the very promising squad he inherited at the end of last season literally torn apart through clearances and injury.

It might just be me but I kind of feel calling Aziz a Socceroo at this point of career is a bit similar to calling Andrew Gaze a "NBA Champion", Zeljko Kalac a "European Champions League Winner", or a horse that has won a SA Oaks a "Group One Winner".

Fuck you Heart board.

I think you perhaps are under-valuing him.

You are correct that he can't shoot... and he needs a fair bit of development still in certain areas... You should also be able to see he is very capable of developing these skills to a high degree and I believe in a better environment he will do this much quicker then he has been with us.

And in this, I see his value, as should the club, and no doubt if this figure is correct, Bursaspor will be licking their lips at the bargain they just got!

WE don't value him at a low premium. Bursaspor do! Again... if a bigger club want our players and our players want to leave, we will not stand in there way!

imagine this "Mr Melburnian, I want to leave and play in Turkey. You are the CEO of this club. Please get the best deal you can for me, but i want to leave."

Would you rather get $0 and him leaving after his contract is up because you stood in the way of his European dream? Or get 400k and the possibility of him returning to heart later on?

It's a business, run by businessmen

Fuck you Heart board.

I think you perhaps are under-valuing him.

You are correct that he can't shoot... and he needs a fair bit of development still in certain areas... You should also be able to see he is very capable of developing these skills to a high degree and I believe in a better environment he will do this much quicker then he has been with us.

And in this, I see his value, as should the club, and no doubt if this figure is correct, Bursaspor will be licking their lips at the bargain they just got!

TBH I cant see Aziz actually agreeing to move if he was told that the deal was ripping of MHFC, he is way too grateful for what the club has done for him and is also just an out and out too massive Melbourne Heart fan.

As I said b4 for a young LB (Better suited to LWB) who has played around two seasons of good football in a reasonable Asian League and a few minor International appearances - 300K to 400K sounds about right.

• Like 1