Melbourne Football

Round 17 - MHFC v Adelaide- Friday 18th

borris

Thompson has really played back to his old self this week and in Sydney.

I really think the quality of our performance was to do largely with the non inclusion of Jason Hoffman and return David Williams. I hope we can keep and settle on the starting XI of last week. But with some of our players fitness issues this may not be doable. Anyone know why Hoffman didnt play? If he was dropped by Aloisi then I'm very proud of him for ballsing up and dropping spuds like The Roff.

Germano was good again and gets better every week. Everything you look for in a visa player IMO. What was Argie saying to him after the game?

The downside to last night is that we now know that Fred is no longer a capable captain nor starting XI player. He'd be a handy bench player if he could keep some level of fitness up but he really was just terrible last night in where as everyone else had a good game. Hopefully when Grella's fit again, this actually happens. Germano - Grella - Garcia is a fcking boss midfield and could probably produce an awesome nickname lol.

I also think Colosimo's time is done; and he along with Fred should be shown the door at the end of the year. To think $600k of our salary cap is spent towards these two has beens (I use that term in the kindest way possible as I quite like them both as players) is pretty poor IMO.

Sign Makarounas as a backup and later on a straight replacement for Fred (he'd come on 1/4 the wages and we'd get a lot more from him), and blood Vrankovic as Gerhardt's partner in central defence, and I think we could make a late charge to the finals. Who knows.

Dreaming of that home final game against Launceston at AAMI.

• Like 1

Highlight of the game for me... Walker calling Garcia back into position, and garcia listening and getting into the right space and then thanking walker...

The team and JA may have finally clicked. JA has definetly learnt from his mistakes. Confidence will be high.

Germano in the midfield is key. Garcia could move into midfield with Fred's injury

Tadic is a gun, Walker will be a star

• Like 1

Highlight of the game for me... Walker calling Garcia back into position, and garcia listening and getting into the right space and then thanking walker...

The team and JA may have finally clicked. JA has definetly learnt from his mistakes. Confidence will be high.

Germano in the midfield is key. Garcia could move into midfield with Fred's injury

Tadic is a gun, Walker will be a star

The way walker waved his hand at garcia back into position was a bit girly though :P Was like he was saying please sir move back into your position haha

No real negatives last night. I'd suggest this has been our best performance this season.

Moving forward I think Colosimo's, Bolton's and Hoffman's time might be nearing an end. I'd like to see us go after McKain how he is sitting on he bench at Adelaide I have no idea. I suspect Fred is near the end but for all his detractors he is easily our best player at creating pressure and pressing he easily has the highest work rate of our midfielders. It's no surprise when he is subbed we lose impetus. How we replace him next year if we move him on is important. Just a shame his touch in fornt of goals and decision making seem suspect these days. Big props to Thommo and Garcia this week if they put in shifts like that every week we will go on a winning spree!

• Like 1

Good result and closed the game well. Maybe some of the players put their ego to the side and listened to JA. To me jury is out still on Tadic but looked effective last night but happy to be proven wrong, but we can't afford him missing empty nets!

Edited by PAheart

We've started playing better when Germano stepped back in. Fred has improved, and lets not forget Thompson giving 100% for a change. Williams is a gun. Fitness is key for him, he's a confidence player. It all a bout communication on the field. Love it how walker pulled a senior player back in line. Still a big if work to do in the middle, think we were lucky not to concede a goal. But fairly happy with te result. Shame I missed the game with my family of 5. 2nd home game i missed this season. Excellent turnout. Hope we beat the tards in a few weeks, as Im gonna give my cousins (the tards biggest fans) a hiding

Golgol had a hissy fit for being dropped and was disrespectful to coaches at training. Hence he was dropped again. He seems like a fairly decent bloke, very pragmatic, but one thing I've learned in life is you never embarrass your manager in public. Unless you want to be sacked and guven piles of hard labor. Kid will learn the hard way.

Thompson has really played back to his old self this week and in Sydney.

I really think the quality of our performance was to do largely with the non inclusion of Jason Hoffman and return David Williams. I hope we can keep and settle on the starting XI of last week. But with some of our players fitness issues this may not be doable. Anyone know why Hoffman didnt play? If he was dropped by Aloisi then I'm very proud of him for ballsing up and dropping spuds like The Roff.

Germano was good again and gets better every week. Everything you look for in a visa player IMO. What was Argie saying to him after the game?

The downside to last night is that we now know that Fred is no longer a capable captain nor starting XI player. He'd be a handy bench player if he could keep some level of fitness up but he really was just terrible last night in where as everyone else had a good game. Hopefully when Grella's fit again, this actually happens. Germano - Grella - Garcia is a fcking boss midfield and could probably produce an awesome nickname lol.

I also think Colosimo's time is done; and he along with Fred should be shown the door at the end of the year. To think $600k of our salary cap is spent towards these two has beens (I use that term in the kindest way possible as I quite like them both as players) is pretty poor IMO.

Sign Makarounas as a backup and later on a straight replacement for Fred (he'd come on 1/4 the wages and we'd get a lot more from him), and blood Vrankovic as Gerhardt's partner in central defence, and I think we could make a late charge to the finals. Who knows.

Dreaming of that home final game against Launceston at AAMI.

top assessment chap. Agree with Vrankovic being blooded as well. TBH I think shimie knows his time is up.. only a matter of time.

thought we played great last night but we need to be more cynical in front of goal. If we get a draw next week I'd be delighted..coming into form just in time for the big one... :wub:

Stop blaming rooster kop and kids in polos. If you see someone in the active area not singing, give em a nudge to get involved instead of moaning about it here ffs

Should be expected that if your in the main active bay you sing regardless, telling people to sing up usually results in them singing

loudly for 1 minute then going back to nothing. Maybe in the first year this could be overlooked but now in our third it should be known that you sing for the 90 in the Y-SIDE bay. Also if part of R.K you surely don't need to be told.

Edited by Joel21

Since I am in Hawaii I had to stream the game so I couldn't really tell what was going on but from what I saw our passing seemed very fluid and our pressing off the ball was immense! Happy to get the 3 points :)

Our passing was good compared to previous efforts but the weight and direction of our passing still has a long way to go in particular:

the final pass to a player in a scoring position

the first pass when we intercept a ball - it usually goes straight back to the opposition

our pressing is amongst the best in the league, especially the team press.

Bit bored today so I came up with some stats on Hoffmans game time, there may be some errors and game time may vary by a few mins total

Please refer to attached image

Analysis:

With Hoff on Field

Minutes of game play per goal conceded: 41

Minutes of game play per goal scored: 65

With Hoff not on Field

Minutes of game play per goal conceded: 147

Minutes of game play per goal scored: 67

conclusions drawn

statistically we are likely to be outscored if Hoff on the field (1 goal scored every 65 mins whilst 1 conceded every 41 mins)

we are over 3.5 times likely to concede a goal with Hoffman on the field

we are likely to win if Hoff does not play (1 goal scored every 67 mins for 1 conceded every 147)

post-27-0-11494600-1358574013_thumb.gif

Edited by malloy

Pretty much agree with the most of the comments about last night's game. Except I wouldn't have been quite so effusive in my praise of Thommo. And we seemed to get the wobbles about 5 minutes before half-time and about 10 minutes from full-time. Fortunately Adelaide were pretty impotent up front. Very disappointed with Kalmar.

But overall one of my top 5 games at home over the three seasons so far.

Hard to single out players, but top marks to Garcia and young Walker - great combination.

Great work at the Yarraside end.

Actually like the song. Works well, but did they stuff up the timing? Just get rid of the word 'blue' from the lyric.

Overall a great evening.

Unreal day/night. The Imp had a great atmosphere both pre and post match I thought. Both of the guys that came along said at the end of the night that they're desperate to go again, and asked when the next home game was so they can book it in. Also, cheers to the capo (sorry, can't remember your name) and any other person I hugged, hi-fived or just had a chat with for your open friendliness, this attitude will keep people coming back and build that strong culture we have been striving for amongst the fans.

Oh yeah, what a win!

Edited by marn11

Bit bored today so I came up with some stats on Hoffmans game time, there may be some errors and game time may vary by a few mins total

Please refer to attached image

Analysis:

With Hoff on Field

Minutes of game play per goal conceded: 41

Minutes of game play per goal scored: 65

With Hoff not on Field

Minutes of game play per goal conceded: 147

Minutes of game play per goal scored: 67

conclusions drawn

statistically we are likely to be outscored if Hoff on the field (1 goal scored every 65 mins whilst 1 conceded every 41 mins)

we are over 3.5 times likely to concede a goal with Hoffman on the field

we are likely to win if Hoff does not play (1 goal scored every 67 mins for 1 conceded every 147)

send this into the club

Seriously, it's not any one player. It's attitude. What was different last night was that we didn't drop back and stop playing. We didn't do the usual time wasting shit that extends extra time to 5 or 6 minutes. Redmayne kept playing the ball out quickly instead of doing the sort of crap that's earnt him 2 yellow cards. It wasn't the cowardly 9 players dropping back to defend. We kept our shape, and for the first time in however long, I didn't even feel nervous in the last 20 minutes. Well not much anyway.

• Like 5

Seriously, it's not any one player. It's attitude. What was different last night was that we didn't drop back and stop playing. We didn't do the usual time wasting shit that extends extra time to 5 or 6 minutes. Redmayne kept playing the ball out quickly instead of doing the sort of crap that's earnt him 2 yellow cards. It wasn't the cowardly 9 players dropping back to defend. We kept our shape, and for the first time in however long, I didn't even feel nervous in the last 20 minutes. Well not much anyway.

Thats cos Hoff wasn't brought on as a sub for last 20 mins