Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart Fan Forum - January 6th - Bench Cafe

Jimmy

This needs it's own thread to raise awareness that this is happening. It's a great chance to put all this discussion across many threads about our club and it's future and our player's performances and mentality to some use by asking for some answers from the club.

Edited by Jimmy

This needs it's own thread to raise awareness that this is happening. It's a great chance to put all this discussion across many threads about our club and it's future and our player's performances and mentality to some use by asking for some answers from the club. It's happening straight after the game against Brisbane on Sunday. Get along.

Exactly. The BBL can't be more important than this forum? Plenty of good discussion points available but the lack of ambition from our club management stands out for me. Without ambition to be the biggest we'll fail to attract members, quality players or instill a winning mindset. Whatever gets raised as a problem we should try to offer a solution. Management just hates being told their incompetant if you don't offer an alternative positive plan.

Whatever gets raised as a problem we should try to offer a solution. Management just hates being told their incompetant if you don't offer an alternative positive plan.

Has anyone from the club been invited? It would be good to hear from them. I'd love to hear in person from JA

Well the club is organising it so I guess someone from MHFC HQ will be there. It's also advertised as a meet-the-players event - JA might well be there.

First thing they need to do is start treating their volunteers better.

What happened?

Not great to hear. This club needs to worship their fans and volunteers as they don't have many, but continually told of not meeting expectations.

This excuse has nothing to do with money. Don't know what excuse they will use.

Here's an interesting perspective and something for our club to embrace.

Was thinking about the volunteer aspect this arvo. Talked recently with a retired lady who does volunteer work for St Kilda (AFL) - she's also a member of the club. They organise lunches, etc for players on training days. The ladies call themselves the Angels and they do it to keep busy in retirement. It seems if we were organised Heart could tap into a similar group of people who could contribute in range of different ways. I think though what this needs is for our Management to think of its members as partners and stakeholders in the club.

I'm interested in this comment. I've been a volunteer for over ten years. It's not as easy as people might think. The volunteers and the work that they do need to be very carefully matched, because in my experience volunteers need a sense of personal fulfilment in what they do. Otherwise they will give up. The most difficult situation is where paid staff and volunteers work together in an organization.

• Like 1

I have done a few different things volunteering for the club - handing out brochures, working in the membership tent and then helping out on match day a few times. I felt there was very little organisation and direction given to me, and I was just thrown in, also very little appreciation.

They did have an induction before the season for volunteers, but as I started a bit late I never got this.

During the Perth game, I sent a couple of tweets during the game, nothing inappropriate, just commenting on the game. I may have said something not entirely flattering about Ian Ferguson, but nothing terrible. I then got a call from someone at the club telling me that somehow FFA had seen my tweets and I should not be tweeting if I am a volunteer. Obviously I didn't know this as no one had ever told me.

After the Perth game, I assumed that I would continue to volunteer on future match days, but since that phone call I have heard nothing further from the club. I assume my volunteering days are over.

I don't mind that much because I did end up missing parts of the game, so happy to just watch as normal. I just don't think this is how a willing, passionate supporter who is willing to give up their time should be treated by the club.

Not to put down the club, but this whole area needs to improve.

• Like 1

I couldnt agree more with this comment

I've been volunteering on match days since day one coz my mates dad was in charge then and he told me when he left that he saw volunteers as gold and treated them that way because they were basically the key to a successful club. Since then i've seen it go down hill significantly, lack of communication and appreciation are definitely reasons for why it isnt working as well as it was in the past.

Like i still want to volunteer and have done for part of this season because i want the club to succeed but the people who run it have little respect for the people who give up part of their day to come in early and stay late to help try and make this club successful.

Some tweets from the club in the order they were released

Fan Forum rescheduled to 6pm Wednesday 30 January at AAMI Park and will have John Aloisi, John Didulica and Scott Munn on the panel.

And then

Players Q & A function is still on this Sunday post-match for members so get on down to the Bench cafe

Lastly

Switched to Wednesday 30 January to make sure John Aloisi can attend. Thanks

Things that I'd like to see:

* 1/2 season passes. For those that want to jump on things get better. I call it the ' "business end membership"

* welcome packs

* flexible passes to lend to friends for first time per member.

* cheaper merch. Lets be serious. 120 is too much.

* need a store at front of aami. Why have victory got a store?!?

* revised membership seating. Cheaper active (you're standing ffs). Get more in there and allow GA to enter as a visitor). More people on sunny side to be more appealing on tv.

* love the idea of headhunter. More of that!

• Like 2

just spoke to the club.

Munn decided to change the date as after the match JA apparently has 2 odd hours of post-match commitments to take care of before he would be able to get down to the fan forum. He didnt think it appropriate or feasible to ask fans to wait 2 hours post match for the forum.

It could have gone ahead at the scheduled time without JA but Munn thinks it is imperative to have the coach of the side there especially considering our form of late.

I also stressed the need for better advertising of the event.

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 2

I have done a few different things volunteering for the club - handing out brochures, working in the membership tent and then helping out on match day a few times. I felt there was very little organisation and direction given to me, and I was just thrown in, also very little appreciation.

They did have an induction before the season for volunteers, but as I started a bit late I never got this.

During the Perth game, I sent a couple of tweets during the game, nothing inappropriate, just commenting on the game. I may have said something not entirely flattering about Ian Ferguson, but nothing terrible. I then got a call from someone at the club telling me that somehow FFA had seen my tweets and I should not be tweeting if I am a volunteer. Obviously I didn't know this as no one had ever told me.

After the Perth game, I assumed that I would continue to volunteer on future match days, but since that phone call I have heard nothing further from the club. I assume my volunteering days are over.

I don't mind that much because I did end up missing parts of the game, so happy to just watch as normal. I just don't think this is how a willing, passionate supporter who is willing to give up their time should be treated by the club.

I've been volunteering on match days since day one coz my mates dad was in charge then and he told me when he left that he saw volunteers as gold and treated them that way because they were basically the key to a successful club. Since then i've seen it go down hill significantly, lack of communication and appreciation are definitely reasons for why it isnt working as well as it was in the past.

Like i still want to volunteer and have done for part of this season because i want the club to succeed but the people who run it have little respect for the people who give up part of their day to come in early and stay late to help try and make this club successful.

Very sad to read these. Pretty much as I expected though, although in addition Natalie fell foul of FFA's censorship rules. FFA brooks absolutely no adverse criticism of its people or what it does, which is the mark of an insecure organization and insecure people running it.

Basically a volunteer has to be treated even better than an employee. It is essential that they have a defined role and know exactly where their boundaries are, and within those boundaries they have to be allowed to carry out their duties without interference. The worst thing to do to a volunteer is to unload on to them the mundane parts of other people's jobs. It requires a special kind of person to be 'in charge' of volunteers. Perhaps Heart hasn't got that sort of person at the moment.

Firstly, I'm glad the forum has been postponed because I haven't heard anything about it apart from this thread. The last fan forum was very good, partly because it was well attended, well prepared, and in a good setting for people to be heard - although not easy for everyone to get to.

But it looks like there's a couple of things here that the club's board need to be aware of.

1. Not valuing volunteers is unacceptable. In year 1, I reckon you could see how valued volunteers were to the club. I remember how they were recognised in the first presentation/awards night. They presented an award to recognise a volunteer who had given so much time and effort to the club. And I was surprised to see how many people had actually given their time to the club voluntarily. People like this are the life blood of a club.

2. Communication with members needs to be improved - the social media side of things is active, but actually getting on the phone and getting in touch with people. How many of us have had issues with our memberships, or questions which need answers, and have to chase up people at the club more than once? In the last two years, the club has employed someone as a Fan Engagement Officer. How much time do they spend actually engaging with members? Really good businesses exceed the expectations of customers and members. But if you fail to meet their expectations, the customers won't stick around. (Well most of us will because we're emotionally invested, but less passionate ones won't.)

It's basic stuff which should never be forgotten. I wonder if the club has taken their eye off the ball with all the effort to get Beckham recently. It was worth it, but not at the cost of the basic principles which a club like ours needs to stick to. While something like Beckham would've been great, the club can only grow long term if it treats its people (players, members, and volunteers) as it's most important asset. It reminds me of when the FFA got seduced by the World Cup bid while taking their eye off the bread and butter issues of running the league.

There's sometimes a lot of unwarranted complaining on these forums I reckon. But here are a couple of issues the club should be aware of.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

Need to advertise the forum better and I think one should be run every two or three months..

FFA brooks absolutely no adverse criticism of its people or what it does, which is the mark of an insecure organization and insecure people running it.

They are a disgrace. Use the same farked up, controlling and corrupt model as AFL..

It reminds me of when the FFA got seduced by the World Cup bid while taking their eye off the bread and butter issues of running the league.

Great point, and once the FFA realised this we're a lot better off. Things might not be perfect but it's a lot better than it was.

There's sometimes a lot of unwarranted complaining on these forums I reckon. But here are a couple of issues the club should be aware of.

This ^

Very sad to read these. Pretty much as I expected though, although in addition Natalie fell foul of FFA's censorship rules. FFA brooks absolutely no adverse criticism of its people or what it does, which is the mark of an insecure organization and insecure people running it.

Basically a volunteer has to be treated even better than an employee. It is essential that they have a defined role and know exactly where their boundaries are, and within those boundaries they have to be allowed to carry out their duties without interference. The worst thing to do to a volunteer is to unload on to them the mundane parts of other people's jobs. It requires a special kind of person to be 'in charge' of volunteers. Perhaps Heart hasn't got that sort of person at the moment.

Dont get me started on how the club treats their volunteers. Lol.

There's sometimes a lot of unwarranted complaining on these forums I reckon.

Basically thats all i do on this forum because i have no idea how to contact the club even though i have been a member since day 1.

Sending tweets to scotty munn does nothing, seems to pick and choose which ones he responds too