Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics

cadete

The fact that the main topic of an article on a royal visit to Australia is gossip news really indicates how many Australians are 'monarchists' and how relevant the royal family are to Australia.

How about a referendum, Tone? Without all the attached strings old m8 Howard chucked in.

Where was the referendum or even the promised plebiscite from the ALP Gov who had a Push for The Republic as Official Policy???

:droy:

Something I've noticed amongst Liberals is when a flaw or weakness is pointed out in their cause and policy, they always refer to the shortcomings of others instead of actually acknowledging or addressing the flaw.

• Like 1

The fact that the main topic of an article on a royal visit to Australia is gossip news really indicates how many Australians are 'monarchists' and how relevant the royal family are to Australia.

How about a referendum, Tone? Without all the attached strings old m8 Howard chucked in.

Where was the referendum or even the promised plebiscite from the ALP Gov who had a Push for The Republic as Official Policy???

:droy:

Granted we did not even put it up but the idea had already been trounced by Howard's tainted plebiscite. You know it was engineered to fail from the start and DO NOT claim Howard was/is anything but a staunch monarchist. Yes I obv know all of the above - I lived it.

Fwiw, I support Australia being a republic. But is it really likely to make a difference either way? Not like the monarchs have any influence here anyway. The most likely outcome of changing to a republic will be replacing one ceremonial position with another.

If I wanted to change one belief or policy of Abbott's it wouldn't be at the top of the list.

Fwiw, I support Australia being a republic. But is it really likely to make a difference either way? Not like the monarchs have any influence here anyway. The most likely outcome of changing to a republic will be replacing one ceremonial position with another.

If I wanted to change one belief or policy of Abbott's it wouldn't be at the top of the list.

Its a bit like gay marriage for me. Its something that I think should happen, but I don't really care if it happens or not.

Remember when Prince Harry cheered on England against the Wallabies and their boring kicking game in the 2004 Rugby WC Finals on Australian Soil? That shit still irks me to the bone. :angry:

That and fact that not only can my children never be the Australian Head of State, as Catholics they cannot ever even marry the Australian Head of State. :angry:

Edited by cadete

Its a bit like gay marriage for me. Its something that I think should happen, but I don't really care if it happens or not.

Homophobe

Homophobe

Im actually gay

• Like 4

Gay people are amongst some of the most homophobic people around, up there with hard line Christians (for srs). If you don't know what I'm talking about, you don't know many gay blokes.

My wifes (sorry to disappoint) step mum is aboriginal and from a different tribe to the Nyoongar tribe in Perth. Some of the most filthy anti-aboriginal stuff Ive ever heard came out of their mouths when they were bagging out the Nyoongars. I was too scared to agree or disagree with what they were saying. 

• Like 1

New Rudd ALP Leadship laws :droy:

The Curse lives on with Bill Shorten being elected despite only 40% of the rank and file wanting him as leader.

Better still thanks to Rudd's laws to prevent him from being tossed aside (For having No Mates) - Bill's now got the job basicly for life. :up:

The Curse lives on with Bill Shorten being elected despite only 40% of the rank and file wanting him as leader.

Better still thanks to Rudd's laws to prevent him from being tossed aside (For having No Mates) - Bill's now got the job basicly for life. :up:

lol.

What a load of shit.

lol.

What a load of shit. In all seriousness if I was Bill and somebody challenged me - I would get a mate to run as a third candidate to prevent my opponent from receiving the needed 60%. Third candidates have been used in leadership ballots in such a way before...

I am just surprised Rudd didn't some hereditary rules in place for one of his two top advisors to be able to take over from him on the spot. Also FWIW now that the ALP has lost the election do we just pretend Rudd's conservative changes in Immigration Policy never happened?

As former uni student who dropped out after a year and a half of teaching this year and is looking to go back to pursue a more suitable course next year, this recent news about Abbott potentially privatising the HECS debt is pretty worrying. 

http://mattcowgill.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/privatising-hecs-debt/

Edited by Nate

As former uni student who dropped out after a year and a half of teaching this year and is looking to go back to pursue a more suitable course next year, this recent news about Abbott potentially privatising the HECS debt is pretty worrying.

If the labor government were never in power things like this wouldn't need to be done. Blame them not Abbott

• Like 1

If the labor government were never in power things like this wouldn't need to be done. Blame them not Abbott

haha if you actually believe this, you really are too far gone. :droy:

Remember when Prince Harry cheered on England against the Wallabies and their boring kicking game in the 2004 Rugby WC Finals on Australian Soil? That shit still irks me to the bone. :angry:

And why? The bloke's an avid fan from all accounts having made two (to my knowledge) Lions treks and multiple other appearances at English tests outside of Twickenham.

I'm politically impartial and pretty much hate both parties equally but surely the Libs need to look elsewhere in regards to cutting costs and saving $$$.

Tertiary education is already very expensive as it stands, and meddling with HECS is only going to make things trickier financially.

I'm politically impartial and pretty much hate both parties equally but surely the Libs need to look elsewhere in regards to cutting costs and saving $$$.

Tertiary education is already very expensive as it stands, and meddling with HECS is only going to make things trickier financially.

No reason to believe HECS will change at all, TBH I didn't read that full article because I cbf reading their BS, the author has no fucking clue about finance. I'm assuming they will just sell of the HECS asset without changing HECS, and it wouldn't be sold below value (which the author seems to imply, or at least trick readers into believing), as the 0% real interest on HECS loan is inconsequential when it comes to the NPV of the asset, as it's just a measure of future cash flows (or lack of), so basically this 'below value' amount doesnt exist in the value in the first place (if that makes sense). OR, another way to look at it is, the return an investor would make is just the money the government subsidises the HECS debt with, so it's not fair to say the government is losing any money, as they have already lost that money when subsiding the HECS debt, this just highlights it. Don't get me started on the completly reatarded house example in that article, author lost all credibility at that point. I also can see the government guaranteeing the loans, removing the risk for the investor and therefore reducing the return they get, which is probably a good move since it could be argued the government has a comparative advantage in bearing risk.

At the end of the day, this just amounts to the government taking a loan against the HECS asset.

Also, very much worth considering, the money would most likely be used to invest into infrastructure, which is a good thing whether it's via more infrastructure being built or via less private sector financing being needed for infrastructure projects.

Do note, I assume it will just be a financing issue, rather than any changes actually being made to HECS, as obviously I support HECS as I probably wouldnt have been able to go to uni without it (more so the availability, and that repayments are deferred until you can afford to pay them, rather than the 0% real interest rate as I would think it's fair if I did have to pay the true interest rate on my HECS and I really dont see it as an issue if everyone had to given the first 2 advantages, easy availability and it being deferred until you can afford to pay it, are really the ones that remove the barriers for people to go to uni).

While on the subject, can someone confirm that not only is the interest rate on HECS loans subsidised, but also the amount permanent residents / citizens have to pay for uni as I've observed that international students pay a lot more than what I did? Obviously there is something there causing the price difference, but is it a government subsidy for residents, or the opposite (governemnt charge on international students), or just the universitys charging international students more since they are willing to pay more?

Edited by Tesla

And why? The bloke's an avid fan from all accounts having made two (to my knowledge) Lions treks and multiple other appearances at English tests outside of Twickenham.

Great Stuff for Him :up:

However my point not one about the bloke's interest in Rugby my point is IMO my country is good enough to have a Royal Family that supports my country's national teams (Hence I posted as such in the Politics Thread). Instead our fourth in line to be Head of State is a Ginger Bloke famous for being one the Dumbest Kents to ever attend Eton who supports another country over Australia.

And before someone says we owe England, I dont owe them shit and Australia doesnt either and if we ever did we paid them back a long time ago.

My great grandfather (With thousands of other Aussies) were sent to horrorfic Japanese Prison Camps because the English surrended when they did not need to at Singapore in WW2 and his elder brother's life was destroyed when the English sent him (With thousands of other Aussies) up the wrong hill at Gallipoli.

And even then Churchill thought all Australian's should leave our country to be invaded by the Japanese and sent all our troops to defend Mother England.

Ask most poms and they will agree Australia is much easier and better country to live in than the UK.

It has been for well over 70 years so why do we have an outdated Head of State from such a country.

haha if you actually believe this, you really are too far gone. :droy:

ROFL. Your post is 100 times more DRoy than mine. The labor government spent shitloads on economic stimulus package that has made things worse for when the real GFC comes. Their needless spending purely to buy votes has fucked us. Granted we were in a strong position when they came into power so we will be much better off than most countries.

If the labor government were never in power things like this wouldn't need to be done. Blame them not Abbott haha if you actually believe this, you really are too far gone. :droy:

ROFL. Your post is 100 times more DRoy than mine. The labor government spent shitloads on economic stimulus package that has made things worse for when the real GFC comes. Their needless spending purely to buy votes has fucked us. Granted we were in a strong position when they came into power so we will be much better off than most countries.

BH - Can you not at least conceed that the speeding at the end of ALP government will did get a bit unaccountable.

ALP Members themselves have asked why Penny Wong was left as Fiannce Minister for so long.

If the labor government were never in power things like this wouldn't need to be done. Blame them not Abbott haha if you actually believe this, you really are too far gone. :droy:

BH - Can you not at least conceed that the speeding at the end of ALP government will did get a bit unaccountable.

ALP Members themselves have asked why Penny Wong was left as Fiannce Minister for so long.

Agree with that, government spending in the last two years has been not well thought and spent sadly. Too much junk like this 

• The quest for the ‘I’ – a $595,000 grant aimed at “reaching a better understanding of the self”;

• $160,000 on an examination of “sexuality in Islamic interpretations of reproductive health technologies in Egypt”;

• a $443,000 study into “The God of Hegel’s Post-Kantian idealism”; and

• $164,000 for a study into “how urban media art can best respond to global climate change” .

• 2 weeks later...

Need a law where I can claim my food and drinks as business expenses, pretty much all that's left, and then the gov needs to chuck the GST on all food so I can get GST back as well :up:

working lunches and minor benefits can help out a bit there.

Edited by malloy

http://www.news.com.au/national/emotional-kevin-rudd-resigns-from-parliament/story-fncynjr2-1226759294219

Had to upstage another of his Party's Leader (The man who slayed his own King for him as well) for that one last time.

Well done Ruddy, history will remember you as one of Australian Parliaments biggest Shit Kents and what is trully unique is that will be an opinion from both sides of Parliament. :up:

You truly are the  Billy "The Rat" Hughes of our time. :up:

Edited by cadete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHo_NB58Hnc

For god's sake I wish he'd just answer a direct question with a direct response, the amount of spin and dancing around the subject is near intolerable. 

And enough with the cheap shots against the former government, you're no longer in Opposition Tony & Co. so stop pointing the finger and using Labor's shortcomings as a scapegoat for potential failures in the future. 

I still wish Turnbull was leader.

All I really remember about Billy Hughes from school is that he was before The Viscount Bruce of Melbourne as Prime Minister.

He dogged just about anybody he ever knew or worked alongside.

His terrible diplomacy at the League of Nations also built the foundations of dislike from the Japanese towards Australia prior to WW2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHo_NB58Hnc

For god's sake I wish he'd just answer a direct question with a direct response, the amount of spin and dancing around the subject is near intolerable. 

And enough with the cheap shots against the former government, you're no longer in Opposition Tony & Co. so stop pointing the finger and using Labor's shortcomings as a scapegoat for potential failures in the future. 

I still wish Turnbull was leader.

What are you talking about?

How is the ALP policy on Carbon clearly not relevant?

The PM is trying to ASAP act upon a Mandate that he was given in his emphatic election win and this requires the ALP cooperation.

There is a reason Turnbull is not PM - He has a poor Political mind when it comes to Party Politics.

The PM is trying to ASAP act upon a Mandate that he was given in his emphatic election win and this requires the ALP cooperation.

HAHAHAAHA what the actual fuck are you talking about. I agree that its a very effective line to sell but you know it's complete bullshit.

A mandate to govern does not mean the opposition has to agree with your policy. What a complete load of shit. Yep, cos that's what opposition parties do, agree with the government because they have a mandate to govern.

btw if you seriously believe this to be the, get ya head checked.

ps I agree with you on Tony talking about the Carbon Pricing legacy from the ALP as being relevant. They've only been in Gov for a matter of weeks. 

Edited by Braveheart