Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

The only reason why I'm celebrating is because we found the back of the net twice (actually 3 times) during the second half which is a real treat coming from behind. Secondly, we have a new goal scorer in the team.

The players are much to blame as the manager and the board. Ie. Misfiring Mifsud!! Duga goes missing, poor finishing from Ramsay. Perhaps we need a hypnotist or a sports phychologist in addition to a new management team.

Talking to a friend yesterday about Aloisi and the discussion led to his coaching. We both agreed that even at the professional level the role of manager includes player improvement and development on an individual basis. The best EPL managers would develop their youth and pretty well improve the skill and nous of any player who joined the club. . Wenger is very good at this still (how many young Arsenal players have improved over the last 18 months -plenty) and SAF developed multiples of young players brilliantly as well as polishing experienced recruits. Locally Ange was shown to be a good developer at both Brisbane and Victory, and on a budget and with constant list turnover, Graham Arnold developed players regularly.

It got me thinking, can anyone name ONE player at Heart who has improved over the last 18 months?? Young or experienced?? I'm really struggling to think of a single player, but happy to be corrected and generate discussion.

To me, this is probably the greatest indictment of his managerial skills. No one is improving individually.

• Like 2

Talking to a friend yesterday about Aloisi and the discussion led to his coaching. We both agreed that even at the professional level the role of manager includes player improvement and development on an individual basis. The best EPL managers would develop their youth and pretty well improve the skill and nous of any player who joined the club. . Wenger is very good at this still (how many young Arsenal players have improved over the last 18 months -plenty) and SAF developed multiples of young players brilliantly as well as polishing experienced recruits. Locally Ange was shown to be a good developer at both Brisbane and Victory, and on a budget and with constant list turnover, Graham Arnold developed players regularly.

It got me thinking, can anyone name ONE player at Heart who has improved over the last 18 months?? Young or experienced?? I'm really struggling to think of a single player, but happy to be corrected and generate discussion.

To me, this is probably the greatest indictment of his managerial skills. No one is improving individually.

Agree with you Defib. Have been going through this in my mind for some time. Mainly been thinking of the younger players, where I think it's clear that most of those have gone backwards - Walker, Vrankovic, Garuccio, Mitchinson spring to mind immediately. I posted a letter to the Chairman yesterday and this was one of the two main points I made. When you think of our goal-scoring difficulties, isn't it amazing that we don't have a single NYL striker being groomed who could possibly step up for some A-League game time?

Perhaps Mauk, Retre and Golgol have shown some improvement, but not spectacularly so. But in general terms Aloisi doesn't give young players sufficient game time to really make a judgement.

All the mature players seem to go backwards from the moment they join us.

• Like 1

Good post. You can also look at the way the younger players are developing at other clubs like Perth Glory and Newcastle - eg. Adam Taggart!!

Look at Aziz Behich as an example for us. He was in Socceroos contention. But surely not on this season's form.

Additionally, not too many of our younger players get regular decent game time.

The only reason why I'm celebrating is because we found the back of the net twice (actually 3 times) during the second half which is a real treat coming from behind. Secondly, we have a new goal scorer in the team.

The players are much to blame as the manager and the board. Ie. Misfiring Mifsud!! Duga goes missing, poor finishing from Ramsay. Perhaps we need a hypnotist or a sports phychologist in addition to a new management team.

The thing is a good manager is half sport psychologist. Ange P is a classic example of this. Listen to the way he talks about the Socceroos- it's mostly about building confidence and creating the right mindset. Our players are playing like shit because they are playing in a shit system and being managed by a guy that is full of excuses and doesn't have enough intensity. 

The really really sad part about the whole scenario is that after watching our youth team play on the weekend we looked exactly like our first team but on a lower level. I haven't watched them play before but it was disappointing to see the same crap. Individual errors and poorly executed counter attacking style. It's a like a cancer thats rotting the club to the core, and must be cut out before it's too late!

As much as i hate using the mongs as a positive example, JA should've done what Muscat did, and just ask for some help or at least a 'senior assistant'

Muscat had been an assistant coach at victory for what, 2, maybe 3 years and still he didn't think that he could do the head coaching job by himself. How did JA think he could do the job from the start, all by himself?

I saw this coming.. and last season I was posting up my disappointment at JA and the Board for giving him the job, as opposed to a more experienced option. At the time the sentiments were "Give him a Chance" or "Give him until the end of the season" and my personal favourite "He has to build his own team"..

It’s great to see that finally we as supporters are waking up and seeing with our eyes and feeling with our heart. The club is nowhere near where it should be. The silent protest was great; the banner was a clear message to the board and football department. It's our responsibility as Fans, supports and Members of this great club to push it in the right direction.

Who knows we might just be the sleeping giant of the A-League...?

I saw this coming.. and last season I was posting up my disappointment at JA and the Board for giving him the job, as opposed to a more experienced option. At the time the sentiments were "Give him a Chance" or "Give him until the end of the season" and my personal favourite "He has to build his own team"..

It’s great to see that finally we as supporters are waking up and seeing with our eyes and feeling with our heart. The club is nowhere near where it should be. The silent protest was great; the banner was a clear message to the board and football department. It's our responsibility as Fans, supports and Members of this great club to push it in the right direction.

Who knows we might just be the sleeping giant of the A-League...?

Not so much as sleeping but in coma since board appointed JA

If they don't eradicate their mistake ASAP we may as well unplug the machine.

IGNITE HEART NOW!

One player who has improved is David Williams. But that's about it.

I've said it before, the manager should be the boss of all things football, who should command respect and demonstrate clear authority. Think Sir Alex, Brendan Rodgers, Aussie Gus, Ang.

You don't get that with JA. SM is always out there talking about Football operations, along with JD ... It is not clear that JA rules the roost

I've said it before, the manager should be the boss of all things football, who should command respect and demonstrate clear authority. Think Sir Alex, Brendan Rodgers, Aussie Gus, Ang.

You don't get that with JA. SM is always out there talking about Football operations, along with JD ... It is not clear that JA rules the roost

I'd have said both SM and JD - especially the latter - have gone to ground these past couple of weeks. 

JA is more of a coach than a manager. - Not always a bad thing (think AC Milan) but obviously its not working....

I spoke to a friend who supports the visitors. He said JA has to go. Yes, it is that bad.

Funny you say that. I'm finding Victory supporting mates are feeling sorry for us. This is the lowest of lows. An embarrassing situation.

JA has to go as soon as possible. If JVS can't do the job interim then look outside like Phil Stubbins. I'm sure he'd take the challenge on for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

I spoke to a friend who supports the visitors. He said JA has to go. Yes, it is that bad.

Funny you say that. I'm finding Victory supporting mates are feeling sorry for us. This is the lowest of lows. An embarrassing situation.

JA has to go as soon as possible. If JVS can't do the job interim then look outside like Phil Stubbins. I'm sure he'd take the challenge on for the rest of the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqc7CEE0ekE

We could but if JVS doesn't want to be the manager or be an assistant then it leaves us with making a decision.

We do need to make a couple of changes. Aloisi and Foxe out. Stubbins and whomever in. Interim of course.

We need to approach it the right way, we need to be clear what style we want to play, establish clear goals for the coach (with some ambition) and them interview applicants against those criteria. We need an adequate budget for the coaching position to ensure that we attract a range of candidates, it may not go to the most expensive but we need to have a genuinely competitive process

We could but if JVS doesn't want to be the manager or be an assistant then it leaves us with making a decision.

We do need to make a couple of changes. Aloisi and Foxe out. Stubbins and whomever in. Interim of course.

We need to approach it the right way, we need to be clear what style we want to play, establish clear goals for the coach (with some ambition) and them interview applicants against those criteria. We need an adequate budget for the coaching position to ensure that we attract a range of candidates, it may not go to the most expensive but we need to have a genuinely competitive process

For the long term position I agree.

for the SOS that is now. Get in someone with experience and know how.

Either JVS if he wants to do it or Stubbins.

No, we don't want another Moe Magilton experience

Exactly.

Hence why we go through a thorough and exhaustive process At the end of the season. We can't make that process and change now.

What we can do now is get an experienced coach in to galvanize the club and give some energy back to the place. Instructions to promote youth and clear the deadwood.

The next full time appointment is that important.

No, we don't want another Moe Magilton experience

Exactly.

Hence why we go through a thorough and exhaustive process At the end of the season. We can't make that process and change now.

What we can do now is get an experienced coach in to galvanize the club and give some energy back to the place. Instructions to promote youth and clear the deadwood.

The next full time appointment is that important.

Hoffman & Macallister? Possibly Germano?

I think you'll find Hoffman is signed for this season only.

AFAIK, at the end of this season:

Redmayne has two years to go, Velaphi comes out of contract;

Behich goes back to Bursaspor;

Walker, Kisnorbo, Wielaert, Gerhardt and Vrankovic come out of contract;

Mitchinson - not sure;

Garuccio - not absolutely sure but I think he comes out of contract;

Ramasay and Murdocca have one year to go;

Mauk, Germano, Engelaar, Hoffman, Kalmar come out of contract:

Migliorini is injury replacement;

Retre and Kaya - not sure;

Macallister, Mifsud, Dugandzic, Williams, Mehbrahtu and Kewell all come out of contract.

Potentially almost everyone could leave.

Huge management issues facing the club from now until the start of next season. Huge issues, immediate, medium-term and long-term. Possibly the current on-field problems are of less importance than what faces us for next season and beyond.

Mitchinson - not sure;

Macallister, Mifsud, Dugandzic, Williams, Mehbrahtu and Kewell all come out of contract.

Huge management issues facing the club from now until the start of next season. Huge issues, immediate, medium-term and long-term. Possibly the current on-field problems are of less importance than what faces us for next season and beyond.

thats ok the Lyndale United team would be available for next to nothing

Mitchinson - not sure;

Even if the current squad finally gets some half decent performances and few points, we going to have to start from scratch for next season. Mostly new team and possibly (read hopefully) new management.

I think we could be left hardly anyone of any value.

Poor results will only encourage players to consider other options.

Mitchinson - not sure;

Even if the current squad finally gets some half decent performances and few points, we going to have to start from scratch for next season. Mostly new team and possibly (read hopefully) new management.

IMO, the cattle we have are half decent, like most here, we concur that with a better manager we could be in a better position ( the only way is UP!) I'm not saying we wold be top two or anything , but sheesh we are so far behind the top 6

Mitchinson - not sure;

IMO, the cattle we have are half decent, like most here, we concur that with a better manager we could be in a better position ( the only way is UP!) I'm not saying we wold be top two or anything , but sheesh we are so far behind the top 6 Don't sugar coat it pls......

Behind the top 6???

How does dead last sound.., very dead

I'm pretty much looking forward to next season now. We might salvage this season to a degree, by playing some decent football, scraping into the finals and somewhat developing a few players, but now I'm more keenly looking forward to Heart aiming higher and achieving real success next season.

I think our squad is ok. With good coaches we would make the finals (not saying that should be our goal, just stating that as a fact). But IMO many squad changes should be made at the end of the season, by not renewing contracts a number of contracts. Many players of ours have 19 games to prove themselves, and if they can't show enough quality they should be released.

I haven't fully made up my mind, and I'm sure the performances of our players over the remainder of the season will change my judgement somewhat, but this is roughly what I think should happen for next season:

KEEP
Redmayne (contracted)
Walker 
Ramsay (contracted)
Murdocca (contracted)

YOUTH TO KEEP
Vrankovic (20)
Retre (20)
Kaya (20)
Garuccio (18)
Mauk (18)

MAYBE KEEP
Engelaar (if fit and has good season)
Kisnorbo (if fit and has good season)
Wielaert (if fit and has good season)
Migliorini (needs a solid season)
Dugandzic (needs a solid season)
Mifsud (needs very good season)
Gerhardt (needs very good season)
Williams (needs very good season)
Mehbrahtu (needs very good season)
Kalmar (needs a great season)

RELEASE/TO LEAVE
Velaphi (maybe sign Bray as our no 2)
Behich (back to Turkey)
Mitchinson
Germano
Hoffman
Macallister
Kewell

Ideally we should make a few changes to our playing roster in the remainder of this season. Also, of course, our coaching staff should be changed now. If we start rebuilding now, I think we can have a very good season next season, and we won't have to waste much if any time 'gelling' and 'finding our feet'.

I'm pretty much looking forward to next season now. We might salvage this season to a degree, by playing some decent football, scraping into the finals and somewhat developing a few players, but now I'm more keenly looking forward to Heart aiming higher and achieving real success next season.

I think our squad is ok. With good coaches we would make the finals (not saying that should be our goal, just stating that as a fact). But IMO many squad changes should be made at the end of the season, by not renewing contracts a number of contracts. Many players of ours have 19 games to prove themselves, and if they can't show enough quality they should be released.

I haven't fully made up my mind, and I'm sure the performances of our players over the remainder of the season will change my judgement somewhat, but this is roughly what I think should happen for next season:

KEEP
Redmayne (contracted)
Walker 
Ramsay (contracted)
Murdocca (contracted)

YOUTH TO KEEP
Vrankovic (20)
Retre (20)
Kaya (20)
Garuccio (18)
Mauk (18)

MAYBE KEEP
Engelaar (if fit and has good season)
Kisnorbo (if fit and has good season)
Wielaert (if fit and has good season)
Migliorini (needs a solid season)
Dugandzic (needs a solid season)
Mifsud (needs very good season)
Gerhardt (needs very good season)
Williams (needs very good season)
Mehbrahtu (needs very good season)
Kalmar (needs a great season)

RELEASE/TO LEAVE
Velaphi (maybe sign Bray as our no 2)
Behich (back to Turkey)
Mitchinson
Germano
Hoffman
Macallister
Kewell

Ideally we should make a few changes to our playing roster in the remainder of this season. Also, of course, our coaching staff should be changed now. If we start rebuilding now, I think we can have a very good season next season, and we won't have to waste much if any time 'gelling' and 'finding our feet'.

Wow, you're generous.

I'd be cutting a lot harder into your "maybes." Far too many of them are not playing even remotely near their potential. I'd be keeping Migliorini, because I think he's the type of visa player we should be looking for; we don't get enough out of the 30+ guys to warrant the expense of having them - unless someone is a genuine bums-on-seats marquee.

Another thing we need to do is to get some bigger blokes into the team. We are continually out-muscled and out-jumped by the other teams.

Overall though, there's a hell of a lot of work to do between now and May-June. I just hope we have some resource on to it already. I always reckon in the coaching team you need one bloke whose sole focus is on recruitment.

Edited by jw1739

I like to think I was more open-minded than generous. I think there's a chance that some players could show us their best football for the remainder of the season (if only because players usually step up towards the end of their contracts, like Migliorini). I'm thinking of players like Dugandzic (who scored 7 goals and 7 assists in his first Heart season), and maybe Williams (although I'm very skeptical that he'll come good). I'd also like us to keep a key defender or two, so hopefully Kisnorbo (who's only 32) and/or Wielaert can show us some quality for the remainder of the season, and solid fitness as well. And I'd really like us to have a midfielder like Engelaar, so it would be very good if he showed his class when he's fit, and he stays fit (I also think there's a chance we could just sign him under the salary cap next season).

If players play pretty well, like Walker did towards the end of last season, then I'm fine to re-sign them. I reckon the majority of players in my 'maybe' category won't perform well enough to be re-signed, though.

Migliorini was the player I was least decided about, and at the last minute I moved him from 'keep' to 'maybe'. I reckon he'll keep playing well and we should sign him for the remainder of this season and next season (hopefully the club is smart enough to axe Jonatan 'three weeks' Germano and sign Migliorini).

Agree about strong players. Although I think we need mentally strong players as much or more than we need physically strong players.

I'm glad we have at least 1 person in Didulica who is mainly concerned only with our recruitment. He was prepared to cut about 11 players last season, so I think Heart has the brains to significantly change the squad again and get us heading in the right direction.