Melbourne Football

2013 East Asian Cup

LR9

East Asian Cup Qualifying Squad:

Terry Antonis, Eli Babalj, Aziz Behich, Robert Cornthwaite, Dino Djulbic, Ivan Franjic, Brett Emerton, Eugene Galekovic, Richard Garcia, Rostyn Griffiths, Ben Halloran, Scott Jamieson, Osama Malik, Michael Marrone, Matt Mckay, Mark Milligan, Aaron Mooy, Tom Rogic, Mat Ryan, Matt Smith, Adam Taggart, Archie Thompson, Michael Thwaite, Dario Vidosic, Luke Wilkshire.

Dunno how some of these guys have made it, some are barely getting HAL minutes.

We are pretty screwed with the guys we have out. They will be unavailable from November 26 - December 9 (SFC Away, PG at Home)

Edit: Roff at Matt Smith's inclusion.

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

Mitchinson will fill in at left back and Jeremy Walker at right back, I'd guess.

Thommo can play in either spot if needed as well.

Debut Phil Petreski :up:

It makes me happy to know we have these options. I love seeing the NYL boys come through to the firsts.

Also would be great to see Germano back when he is injury free.

Edited by Peter

Only this time we don't have much rhythym :up:

Jeremy Walker could be handy in place of Marrone, he tends to stay out a bit wider whereas Marrone cuts in a bit too much

You never know, we probably win on the weekend against the Novos and then lose our players for this stupid pointless comp.

You never know, we probably win on the weekend against the Novos and then lose our players for this stupid pointless comp.

Yes, it's not as if we're doing well in the league and can afford to lose players. With these call-ups and all our injuries we never have a full squad to choose from.

lmao, just did some reading about this qualifying tournament, and it turns out we get to play Guam - traditionally the Ameircan Samoa of Asia . We could probably beat our 31-0 record with this squad against them!

we'll probably lose 2-0 with matt smith and robbie cornflake in there

edit: more like 5-4 as babalj single handedly destroys their defence, only for our defence to be raped in return

Edited by theresonlyonebzamora

• 2 weeks later...

Squad for tonight: GALEKOVIC, BEHICH, THWAITE, MILLIGAN, EMERTON ©, THOMPSON, CORNTHWAITE, MCKAY, GARCIA, FRANJIC, SMITH

ffs for all the talk of a young team against Hong Kong and saving the older blokes for DPRK Holger couldn't possibly have selected an older squad.

Link to Stream: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1131545/Watch-Socceroos-LIVE-on-TWG

Edited by Che
  • Like 1

1-0 full time.

Delicious finish from Emerton, but a terrible game.

Archie up front was atrocious, both in contribution and in movement.

Thwaite was shocking.

Franjic, Emerton (in the second half), Garcia (first half) and Rogic (for the ten minutes he was on the ground) impressed me the most, TBH.

Need to ACTUALLY PLAY youth, not just bring them in the squad.

Excluding Aziz (and replacing him with Djulbic) would mean Holger played the oldest team possible from the available squad.

Hopefully he just wanted the oldies to get the first win out of the way, and will now on play the youngins.

Holger is a dickhead, I can understand why he'd play Thompson, although I don't agree I can see the reasoning due to his recent good form for National team.

How Rogic didn't start though is beyong me, what the fuck is Holger doing?

Mooy should have got a run as well!

1-0 full time.

Delicious finish from Emerton, but a terrible game.

Archie up front was atrocious, both in contribution and in movement.

Thwaite was shocking.

Franjic, Emerton (in the second half), Garcia (first half) and Rogic (for the ten minutes he was on the ground) impressed me the most, TBH.

Need to ACTUALLY PLAY youth, not just bring them in the squad.

Excluding Aziz (and replacing him with Djulbic) would mean Holger played the oldest team possible from the available squad.

Hopefully he just wanted the oldies to get the first win out of the way, and will now on play the youngins.

I thought Emerton was shocking tbh, the goal was the only thing he did right last night.

I thought Emerton was shocking tbh, the goal was the only thing he did right last night.

His first half was terrible, but in the second half he improved a lot.

Drifted between the lines, picked up the ball near the halfway line on the touchline, and instigated a lot of attacks.

Decent crossing, good passing, etc..

So if we are playing this defensively against Hong Kong, I assume the formation for the N Korea game will look something like 1-8-1-1. We nearly played that formation last night.

Pretty sad pitch. I'd say it was on purpose. Our old mate Merrick would have called them and worded them up and told them to get the old tractor out onto the pitch the day before the game.

Public on fox sports / facebook blaming the pitch for the game :droy: When we have the majority of posession and just fuck around with it instead of pushing forward and creating attacking oppourtunites the pitch really doesn't excuse or explain anything.

Rogic on at the 80th minute and nearly scores with his first touch.... Aziz looked like he could have got a goal in the 1st half, but he tired in the second. I think he was marking HKs gun player...he did well.

Babalj should have got some minutes, he would have killed it...just like Rogic...really not sure what Holger is doing ATM