Melbourne Football

David Beckham

MPM

uum....wouldn't it make more sense to use that money to bring a top quality player with a big name but who is in it for the long haul? Who can actually help the team?? Not just turn up for a pay day, wave to the crowd and off to the next destination..

Beckham isn't going to bring the type of fans that the club wants, he will bring socialites and celebrity seekers who won't come back after he leaves.

Ange's article in the papaer today is spot on..

Everything about the club is screaming desparation at the moment, Free tickets, Beckham etc ..

What are u going on about???

Socialites?

Yep, we better keep that Long Island Set out of Melbourne Heart! :droy:

Celebrity Seekers?

Shit, we would hate to see a few fit birds at the Match! :droy:

Not sure what you muppets expect?

I expect consistency and clarity from the Club.

Beginning of the year, the Fan Forum was told no marquee would be signed for a short spike in memberships. Owen and Christeas were dismissed by the Club. The emphasis has been on a Youth orientated ethic/focus.

Now, all of a sudden, we have $1.7 million to bring a marquee to the Club for 10 games? Where did all that money come from? Is that really the best use? What happened to the spike membership policy? How good of a training facility would $1.7 millions build you?

The expectation is that the Club will be consistent, clear and accountable to the Fans, and act in the best interest of the Club for its sustainability and viability.

I understand him waiting until after the MLS cup final. But to muck everyone around for another whole month or two, just to decide whether to come for 10 games is really annoying to me. It would be disruptive for the club, wondering if he's coming etc.

If he is making a decision about coming for a season or two, fair enough. But if we wait around for this til after January then he goes off to PSG or China then it's just annoying.

At least put us out of our misery if he has no intention of coming to Australia.

Anyway, in I a bad mood today and this isn't helping.

Don't get me wrong I hate the idea of a 10 game stint but the club won't get another oppotunity like this one for a long time.. Its David Beckham ffs!! They're milking it for all they can, at the end of the day it's all business. The attention the club is getting is a good thing. If we don't sign Becks then so be it.

Btw I never believed Scott Munn when he said the club doesnt believe is a marquee signings. His a spin doctor, it's his job.

Beginning of the year, the Fan Forum was told no marquee would be signed for a short spike in memberships. Owen and Christeas were dismissed by the Club. The emphasis has been on a Youth orientated ethic/focus.

Now, all of a sudden, we have $1.7 million to bring a marquee to the Club for 10 games? Where did all that money come from? Is that really the best use? What happened to the spike membership policy? How good of a training facility would $1.7 millions build you?

The expectation is that the Club will be consistent, clear and accountable to the Fans, and act in the best interest of the Club for its sustainability and viability.

How can u honestly not understand the difference between one of the most recognisable faces on the planet and bloody Christeas? :droy:

Edited by cadete

Since then they will have seen what ADP, Heskey and Ono have done for there respective clubs, more Stars than ever before and it is really benefiting the league imo, pretty obviously, this will be why, and the players mention are nowhere near the calibre of player or celebrity that beckham is and what he will provide for the money and time he is available.

The Fan Forum was told that a marquee had to make sense both off the field and on the field. No marquee had been identified that met those criteria and with whom an agreement could be reached. The club wasn't going to pursue a marquee for the sake of having a marquee. Owen wasn't dismissed, Heart were in negotiations with him, but an appropriate agreement could not be reached.

The "sudden $1.7m" for a marquee comes from identifying an appropriate identity that will attract corporate/commercial backers. Sponsors, wealthy individuals, etc. might be willing to contribute money to bring a marquee to Heart if they felt they could capitalise on their presence through increased exposure, creating business connections, etc. Clearly, Beckham is deemed to provide this benefit for sponsors.

Evidently those same sponsors do not see the same value in contributing to bricks and mortar training facilities. You don't make money on property unless you can sell or rent it. Heart training facilities would be based on La Trobe University campus (can't sell it) and on a peppercorn lease to Heart (no rental income).

FWIW $1.7m wouldn't go very far on infrastructure anyway.

• Like 3

I have remained quite in this topic and have been publicly vocal in my opposition to singing marques like Owen in the past, but I am genuinely excited at the prospect that David Beckham may come to heart, even if only for a 10 game stint.

David Beckham is simply a pedigree above anything else on offer globally and is a completely different story to any other marque player in the past. The club are quite right to be doing everything they can to get him to the club and there is no contradiction in signing him which will go against our club's philosophy, despite what yourself or any of the other Mongs in Navy believe.

We will still continue to engage in the community above and beyond what any other A-League club is doing, and in fact Beckham would probably help our community reach rather then hinder it. We will continue to be the premier destination in the land for talented young players. We will continue to offer opportunities to talented youngsters in the side, alongside some of Australia's greatest Socceroos for them to learn off. Nothing will change if Beckham signs except that we may actually start getting some more people to games and getting ourselves some much needed media exposure.

1.7 million dollars would barely provide for a club room at La Trobe. Let alone training facilities, playing pitches, grandstand and proper ice baths that aren't wheelie bins ffs. The money is clearly coming from marketing potential and the fact benefactors will be able to have their name alongside Beckham should he come here. I have no doubt that the club & investors will get back that 1.7 million and then some should he sign, and we might actually be looking at a profit this year over just simply "breaking even".

Have a think about what that would mean for new 'training facilities next season. Have a think about what that may mean for crowd increases in the medium to long term after our 'honeymoon' stadium deal with AAMI Park ends next year. Can't see anything but good coming from this

tl;dr Bring on the Becks show farken.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 5

Whilst I agree with some of the sentiments regarding the apparent back-flip on our marquee stance, like FB says, Beckham is a completely different situation.

No other player in the world would be able to gain the interest of the average non-football following Australian like Beckham would. Even Messi or Ronaldo would struggle to pull the same amount of traditional AFL family fans through the gates, which in my opinion seems to be the clubs' target market.

If we manage to get him for only 1.7 million, all discussion of us going bankrupt will vanish for a very long time, massive profits can be made here.

What are u going on about???

Socialites?

Yep, we better keep that Long Island Set out of Melbourne Heart! :droy:

Celebrity Seekers?

Shit, we would hate to see a few fit birds at the Match! :droy:

Beckham might create some cash that will help with short term survival and attract people that will come watch HIM and not the team, but when he is gone we are back to square one. 10 game GUEST (!!) stints where the player is assured a spot in the starting 11 because it is part of the contract is not football, it is something entirely different.. It's a circus.

Or, we could get a player and/or a coach who is class, has a name, is committed and will help us get some consistent long term results which we know will bring crowds in itself.. And we don't have to compromise the integrity of the club..

I know what i would prefer but maybe that is just me..

I just don't get people...1) world exposure 2) $$$ 3) David fucking Beckham! 4) still a quality player and 100x better at set peices then anybody in the league 5) potential new members for future years 6) posh spice!

Neither do I. Seems some people would have us never sign anyone who might actually help us increase our attendances because of what might happen after they've moved on.

If nothing else, it is great to see our club look serious about signing a name player for a change. In the past we have always put forward a second rate bid (eg. for Flores) and then looked second rate as we have been outbid.

Beckham is still a big name in world football and signing him would be a great boost for our club.

Round 22. Beckham and Del Piero. (Emerton & Grella as the support cast.) Aami Stadium packed to the back rows. International coverage. Come on people, think big. When has this ever happened in Australian domestic football?

I'm always one to argue for the long term, but even if this is temporary, it'll still be great. Why not just enjoy a few big crowds and the attention that will come our way. It will be the biggest and most exciting thing that's ever happened to our club. By a long, long, long way.

And I don't think you can argue that we could use the money in another way. Most of it is not our money. It's from sponsors and third parties who aren't going to use it on other players.

And if it doesn't happen, just enjoy the fact that we're a serious contender. If he doesn't come, it will still have been worth it I reckon.

Entirely agree. Long-term benefits will also eventuate, with a slow, but steady decline. Beckham coming to Melbourne will be the 'tip over' factor for a lot of passive fans and even neutrals. Even if they attend 5 of the 10 games, attending Heart games may then become a habit. Not everyone will suddenly disappear after the 10 games. At the very least people can say that Beckham once played for the club, presenting a very positive attraction for future supporters.

The club needs this.

• Like 1

http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2DBixKbf0

Luca$h can fuck right off. Kent's never done anything for the A-League and thinks he can tell us what to do / why we aren't progresing as a football nation? TBH we are creating the next viduka's and Kewells, except the Australian public doesn't get to see it because he and his other old cronies are blocking the way.

Beckham is, tbh, a short term fix. But it's a short term fix that will have much better implications on the long term than Lucas can clearly imagine. Our club's survivial and the expansion of the supporter base is pretty much the most crucial element for us at the moment, which Beckham will greatly assists. We've already done the grassroots development stuff, and that clearly hasn't had a marvellous long term effect for the survival of our club. Why don't you come over and have a look Lucas.

Edited by Che
  • Like 4