Melbourne Football

David Beckham

MPM

Adelaide United all in for David Beckham

Val Migliaccio

The Advertiser

November 19, 201212:00AM

ADELAIDE United wants David Beckham.

Adelaide chairman Greg Griffin last night told The Advertiser the club had instructed its football director Michael Petrillo to make contact with the superstar's agent - once his contract with LA Galaxy ends this year.

Despite Beckham's agent denying reports Australia may be a destination, it's understood his management doused the A-League flame because Beckham is still in season with LA Galaxy.

"Once David Beckham ends his season with LA Galaxy the race is on,'' Griffin said.

"We don't want to cause any dramas for him or his club right now, we respect the position he is in but we're serious at getting one of the world's best known footballers to Adelaide United.

"We are positioning ourselves to give us the best possible chance.''

Griffin also revealed Adelaide will not consider playing any of their home matches outside of Hindmarsh Stadium if they lured Beckham to SA.

"Adelaide Oval is under re-construction, it's not suitable right now and AAMI Stadium we wouldn't consider it,'' Griffin said after the home of the SANFL failed to meet FIFA criteria for international football.

"Hindmarsh is the only stadium where we could realistically play.''

Adelaide however does have an A-League club fight on its hands for Beckham's signature.

Melbourne Heart is primed to lure Beckham to Victoria given its home stadium, AAMI Park, is nearly twice the capacity of Hindmarsh Stadium's 16,500 capacity.

It's understood a Heart corporate sponsor has already offered to invest $500,000 towards Beckham's guest stint.

Perth Glory has also signalled its intent to make a play for Beckham.

Brisbane Roar and Western Sydney are outside contenders.

The LA Galaxy midfielder's Galaxy season comes to an end on December 2 - if it makes the final of the MLS Cup.

Galaxy is in the MSL Cup Conference Finals, facing Seattle Sounders in the second leg today after taking a 3-0 first leg lead at Home Depot Stadium in California.

Beckham, 37, could join former Italian and Juventus forward Alessandro Del Piero (Sydney FC) and ex-Liverpool and England striker Emile Heskey (Newcastle) as another superstar after the pair signed A-League contracts this season.

The ex-Real Madrid and AC Milan superstar has been initially earmarked for a 10-game guest stint.

The former England captain has been faced with this type of scenario before when Galaxy loaned him out to AC Milan - twice for a reported $1.5 million for each loan stint.

The Forbes list of the world's highest paid athletes claimed Beckham came in eighth this year, earning a reported $46 million.

His LA Galaxy salary amounted to $9 million while he was worth $37 million in endorsements.

According to figures from the MLS union, Galaxy paid $3 million for Beckham's base salary before a guaranteed compensation after taking a 40 per cent pay cut when he re-signed a two-year deal last year.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/adelaide-united-all-in-for-david-beckham/story-fndkzvnd-1226519125049

I wish the club would actually have some desire to progress.I mean apparently our club is poor but yet we are wiling to invest money into bringing Beckham but not a proper defense? Also, how can we be poor when one of our board members is a multi-millionaire?

Ghadir Razuki is a British Iraqi multi-millionaire and along with his brother, Ali, is founder of TNT Magazine Group, the largest publishers of free magazines in the world, with magazine and media interests in the UK, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

Going to sound like I'm bullshiting but I know the following for a fact; Perth have already tabled their offer to the Beckham camp and sage is putting up a lot of money. We'll be putting our offer on the table in the next week or so and CCM and ADL have both made contact with Beckham's management but are waiting a while longer to make an offer, probably to scrape together some money. The FFA also would rather Beckham go to a club besides the Wanderers to avoid any controversy.

The Herald Sun have started an online petition to motivate Heart to secure Beckham:

http://pages.e.newsdigitalmedia.com.au/competitions/?p=665_David%20Beckham%20to%20Melbourne%20Heart

and for some reason the club posted this on their facebook...

The club is sharing a petition which is petitioning them to sign Beckham, seems stupid.

Must be either they want to see the 'demand' for Beckham

or they are just drumming up more publicity

or both

The club is sharing a petition which is petitioning them to sign Beckham, seems stupid.

or both

Bit of a wank, I'm embarrassed to say I support this club sometimes with some of the shit they do.

However, this could be part of the clubs 'pitch' to Becks or maybe HS are willing to tip in some $'s (maybe that 500k that was bandied about) and want to guage public response.

Also, how can we be poor when one of our board members is a multi-millionaire?

Had to read this twice, thought I miss read it. Roff! Strong knowledge of economics.

ALL of board members are Multi-millionaires, that doesn't mean they are going to pour their entire fortune into the club... -_-

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

Bit of a wank, I'm embarrassed to say I support this club sometimes with some of the shit they do.

However, this could be part of the clubs 'pitch' to Becks or maybe HS are willing to tip in some $'s (maybe that 500k that was bandied about) and want to guage public response.

Had to read this twice, thought I miss read it. Roff! Strong knowledge of economics.

ALL of board members are Multi-millionaires, that doesn't mean they are going to pour their entire fortune into the club... -_-

Why would you be part of a clubs board if you're not willing to invest in the club.

If I'm asking a dumb question I apologize, I just don't see the logic in being part of something if you're not going to invest in it.

A club is meant to be financially sustainable...

If every board had to invest in their club constantly, we'd have no independently owned clubs in this country.

Hence why we're trying to cut costs this year.

Balancing the books now would theoretically put this club in good stead for future endeavours and the longevity of the club's operations.

A club is meant to be financially sustainable...

If every board had to invest in their club constantly, we'd have no independently owned clubs in this country.

Hence why we're trying to cut costs this year.

Balancing the books now would theoretically put this club in good stead for future endeavours and the longevity of the club's operations.

I understand that, but at the same time investment is first needed in order for the club to have some sort of success.

or both

Any publicity is good publicity, particuarly when it's being splashed across the Herald Sun Website.

Edited by Che

Why would you be part of a clubs board if you're not willing to invest in the club.

I agree with you Vlad. I understand the reasons given, but it has always puzzled me that if you are passionate enough to be on the board of a football club, why wouldnt you want to do everything you could to make it successful even if it means you come up a little light in your pay cheque. Its not like investing in business where you expect huge returns on your investment. Its about passion. Mind you I am not a millionaire and this not coming out of my wallet, so maybe I would feel differently if it was.

Anyway, back on topic I am with LR9 about this whole thing. Its getting kind of embarrassing. As much as I think signing would be great for the short term future of the club (not so much on the park mind you), I would love Heart to show a bit of dignity about it. Just say "Yes, we are interested. We will let you know if he is too" and leave it at that. Official facebook posts with him photo-shopped into a Heart kit is horribly cringe-worthy.

Be cool guys. Be cool.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 2

I agree with you Vlad. I understand the reasons given, but it has always puzzled me that if you are passionate enough to be on the board of a football club, why wouldnt you want to do everything you could to make it successful even if it means you come up a little light in your pay cheque. Its not like investing in business where you expect huge returns on your investment. Its about passion. Mind you I am not a millionaire and this it coming out of my wallet, so maybe I would feel differently if it was.

Anyway, back on topic I am with LR9 about this whole thing. Its getting kind of embarrassing. As much as I think signing would be great for the short term future of the club (not so much on the park mind you), I would love Heart to show a bit of dignity about it. Just say "Yes, we are interested. We will let you know if he is too" and leave it at that. Official facebook posts with him photo-shopped into a Heart kit is horribly cringe-worthy.

Be cool guys. Be cool.

Read my mind.

I agree with you Vlad. I understand the reasons given, but it has always puzzled me that if you are passionate enough to be on the board of a football club, why wouldnt you want to do everything you could to make it successful even if it means you come up a little light in your pay cheque. Its not like investing in business where you expect huge returns on your investment. Its about passion. Mind you I am not a millionaire and this it coming out of my wallet, so maybe I would feel differently if it was.

Got in before me Harry...

Its not like owners doing this is that unfamiliar situation to obv Football worldwide or even in our own state, just look at the VPL for the past seven years.

Can't believe Sidwell can approve of this sort of stuff. Club risks becoming the object of ridicule. Didn't Munn say at some stage in the Kewell saga that we would not become part of a circus, or something similar? Well, we are a bloody circus at the moment.

It should be the football that does the talking, not gimmickry.

I don't know how many times I've read complaints about the club not doing anything to market or publicise itself, but when they do, people want to complain about it too. At the moment, I think the publicity is worthwhile. The football isn't creating much interest.

• Like 3

I don't know how many times I've read complaints about the club not doing anything to market or publicise itself, but when they do, people want to complain about it too. At the moment, I think the publicity is worthwhile. The football isn't creating much interest.

This is not legitimate marketing. This is shameless fluff. Not only that, but it is a complete backflip on what the club apparently stands for. So when (or if) Becks does not sign with us, not only are people going to quickly lose interest in this whole thing, but the ones who have been here all along are left to wonder exactly how much of the clubs "ethics" are legit.

As I said, by all means go for his signature, but the way we are going about this is just whorish.

All we have done is showed an expression of interest along with all of the other HAL clubs. Maybe if he has actually given us the slightest indication he will come here, then maybe try and get people talking, but until then show some class!

So what actually is our financial situation?

we are told we are on track to break even this season.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

This is not legitimate marketing. This is shameless fluff. Not only that, but it is a complete backflip on what the club apparently stands for. So when (or if) Becks does not sign with us, not only are people going to quickly lose interest in this whole thing, but the ones who have been here all along are left to wonder exactly how much of the clubs "ethics" are legit.

As I said, by all means go for his signature, but the way we are going about this is just whorish.

All we have done is showed an expression of interest along with all of the other HAL clubs. Maybe if he has actually given us the slightest indication he will come here, then maybe try and get people talking, but until then show some class!

Yeah I agree that if or when he doesn't come, it could look a bit stupid, and that as a rule, we should carry on with negotiations privately.

But I don't know if it really has any impact on the idea of what the club stands for. Things aren't mutually exclusive. Milking some publicity out of negotiations for one of the game's biggest names doesn't mean we don't do all the other community engagement type things, or affect what happens on the pitch. Maybe there's other thing's I'm not taking into account.

The way I see it, if we were winning games, it would make everything a lot easier and there wouldn't be such a need to create interest in other ways. I don't have an issue with the idea of letting the football do the talking. But our football isn't very good right now, and I'm starting to get a bit worried. While we're not winning, I think we're in danger of losing relevance. Growing this club is a battle that needs to be fought on a number of fronts - performance, community engagement, and sometimes some shameless publicity.

I'm not complaining because at least we're showing a bit of ambition, which seems to be what people want to see at times.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2012/11/david-beckham-play-his-final-game-la-galaxy-mls-cup-2012

So with Beckham leaving Galaxy to "experience one last challenge before the end of my playing career" the clubs in Aus who are chasing him must have had their confidence bolstered a little. If he comes to Australia I think it will be either WSW or you folk. I hope it's Heart.

http://www.lagalaxy....xy-mls-cup-2012

So with Beckham leaving Galaxy to "experience one last challenge before the end of my playing career" the clubs in Aus who are chasing him must have had their confidence bolstered a little. If he comes to Australia I think it will be either WSW or you folk. I hope it's Heart.

Apparently FFA dont want WSW to get Beckham because they think it will be a bad look.

Frank

Apparently FFA dont want WSW to get Beckham because they think it will be a bad look.

Frank already gave them a Birthday present in Shinji Ono, its time the FFA reward us for actually setting up a expansion club properly from the grassroots...

WSW - Out (SO)

SFC - Out (ADP)

MV - Out (ANGE)

Which leaves us as the only club in a city that can cater to Beck's lifestyle. :up:

i really have a dislike for celebrity and so have had to work hard to look beyond Beckham the celebrity to see Beckham the footballer. There are several things in favour of the deal if it comes off:

he's still a good footballer and adds something to the team that is presently lacking in terms of set pieces and on-field leadership.

he has experience at the highest levels of the game, and at an equivalent level (MLS)

he will have a better understanding of what is required than ADP coming from Juve to Sydney

he and Vince Grella will bring a welcome extra level of professionalism to the club

he's a team player unlike Kewell.

JA won't be a starstruck fanboy and lose his authority like Mehmet was with Harry Kewell.

of course bums on seats will help the club finances and match day atmosphere

In any case, can you imagine Posh preferring to live in pissant town or the world's most remote city (Perth)?

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1