Melbourne Football

Man United v HAL 'All-stars' @ ANZ Stadium, July 2013

LR9

THE NSW government is understood to have agreed to tip in $3 million as part of a deal to help Football Federation Australia bring English giant Manchester United to Sydney for a pre-season game in July.

The deal will be announced in several weeks for the game, to be played against an A-League all-stars side at ANZ Stadium.

The match, mooted in September, is expected to reap as much as $12m in revenue from ticket sales, television rights and tourism.

United manager Alex Ferguson is looking to use the match as part of the Red Devils' pre-season campaign for the 2013-14 season. Manchester United is regarded as the most popular football club in the world. A recent survey claims United has 659 million followers worldwide, 325 million in the Asia-Pacific region.

It was reported that United officials had visited Sydney in September and were keen for the club to return to Australia after an absence of more than a decade.

United last played in Australia in 1999 against a combined Socceroos-Olyroos side in two B-Internationals, winning the first game 1-0 in Sydney and the second 2-0 in Melbourne. United's team included Mark Bosnich, Phil Neville, Denis Irwin, Jaap Stam, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Dwight Yorke and Ryan Giggs.

Interesting.

Another big step in the 'MLS direction', which will hopefully see more interest and buzz generated around the league from the average punter heading in to season 9.

Don't know how well an All-Star team will go in pre-season, TBH.

What if players leave? Get injured? Eat too many pies? Lose form? Hardly an All-Star team anymore.

I like the All-Star idea, but think it'd be best suited to post-season games...

A-League All-Star vs MLS All-Star, etc.

Good initiative, though.

• 4 weeks later...

CONFIRMED

The international exhibition match on Saturday 20 July will be exclusive to Sydney in the only appearance by Manchester United in Australia during the club’s 2013 pre-season tour.

Manchester United is set to bring out its full squad in preparation for the 2013-14 EPL season.

The A-League All Stars will represent the best of the Hyundai A-League with the team to be preselected by fans.

Tickets go on sale to the Football Family in an exclusive pre-sale window from 9am AEDT tomorrow (Tuesday 11 December). Public on sale commences at 9am AEDT on Wednesday 12 December.

Category A - $189 Cat A

Category B - $99.50 Cat B, $279.50 Family of 4, $349.00 Family of 5, $418.50 Family of 6

Category C - $69.50 Adult, $49.50 Concession, $199.50 Family

Man U Active Supporter Area - $69.50 Adult, $49.50 Concession (no Family tickets in the Active area)

Restricted View:

Category A - $125 Cat A

Category B - $69.50 Cat B, $199.50 Family of 4, $249.00 Family of 5, $298.50 Family 6

Category C - $49.50 Adult, $34.50 Concession, $138.00 Family

Man U Active Supporter Area - $49.50 Adult, $34.50 Concession (no Family tickets in the Active area)

Ticket Prices are inclusive of GST & Booking Fee. Transaction and credit card fees may apply.

Not horribly priced, should be quite big, but its a shame its so long before the start of our 2013-14 season as it would have caused a good amount of interest around for the league.

Edited by LR9

Have a crack at picking the squad... I'm going 18-man, however as it is a friendly, there could be 20+

Ryan

Emerton - Zwaanswijk - Bosscart - Behich

Miligan

Broich - Del Piero

Hersi - Berisha - Garcia

B: Coe, Thwaite, Franjic, Vidosic, Mooy, Rogic, A.Thompson

It's harder than I thought, missing a lot of big guys like Miller, Flores, Heskey, Ifill, Smeltz, McBreen (lol), Nichols, Paartalu, Carrusca, Juranemo, Ono, Bosscart etc.

However I reckon some of the guys like Heskey, Rogic, Ryan, Garcia, Mooy, Zwaanswijk, may be unavailible with new clubs, retierment and so on.

Edited by LR9

I believe we should start an online initiative:

Get Hoffman into the All-Stars. No doubt united would see his undeniable talent and would sign him on a massive transfer fee. There by removing him from our team. Get on it this could reach cult status.

I agree with this particular post.

anyone know some accom near the ground fit for 5 people and not a shithole?

Have you ever been on an away trip to support Heart before?

Well def not a game in NSW if he wants to stay near Homebush...

:lawl: :lawl: :lawl: :lawl:

Edited by cadete

I believe we should start an online initiative:

Get Hoffman into the All-Stars. No doubt united would see his undeniable talent and would sign him on a massive transfer fee. There by removing him from our team. Get on it this could reach cult status.

I like the way you think but there is likely to be some strong competition from the Zadkovich camp.

no i havent

Yet you're going to travel to Sydney to watch a friendly between two teams you don't even follow?

i didnt suggest it between the 4-6 of us going, but if the rest are willing then im not gonna turn down an opportunity to go to sydney during the winter...

no i havent

Yet you're going to travel to Sydney to watch a friendly between two teams you don't even follow?

Lol - His been a HAL 'All-stars' fan all his life, he will kill himself if they lose...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

All Stars released:

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Foxtel-All-Stars-Top-35-as-selcted-by-fans/66763

Goalkeepers

1.Mathew Ryan (Central Coast Mariners) / 2. Ante Covic (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 3. Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United) / 4. Michael Theo (Brisbane Roar) / 5. Nathan Coe (Melbourne Victory)

Defenders

1.Nikolai Topor-Stanley (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 2. Pedj Bojic (Central Coast Mariners) / 3. Patrick Zwaanswijk (Central Coast Mariners) / 4. Adama Traore (Melbourne Victory) / 5. Michael Beauchamp (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 6. Lucas Neill (Sydney FC) / 7. Ivan Franjic (Brisbane Roar) / 8. Trent Sainsbury (Central Coast Mariners) / 9. Michael Thwaite (Perth Glory) / 10. Joshua Rose (Central Coast Mariners)

Midfielders

1. Shinji Ono (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 2. Thomas Broich (Brisbane Roar) / 3. Youssouf Hersi (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 4. Michael McGlinchey (Central Coast Mariners) / 5. Aaron Mooy (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 6. Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory) / 7. Dario Vidosic (Adelaide United) / 8. Marcos Flores (Melbourne Victory) / 9. Richard Garcia (Melbourne Heart) / 10. Marcelo Carrusca (Adelaide United)

Strikers

1. Alessandro Del Piero (Sydney FC) / 2. Marco Rojas (Melbourne Victory) / 3. Emile Heskey (Newcastle Jets) / 4. Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory) / 5. Daniel McBreen (Central Coast Mariners) / 6. Besart Berisha (Brisbane Roar) / 7. Jeremy Brockie (Wellington Phoenix) / 8. Shane Smeltz (Perth Glory) / 9. Mark Bridge (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 10. Bernie Ibini (Central Coast Mariners)

Formation

1. 4-4-2 / 2. 4-2-3-1 / 3. 4-3-3 / 4. 3-5-2 / 5. 4-3-2-1

...who the fuck voted for Lucas Neill

no i havent

Lol - His been a HAL 'All-stars' fan all his life, he will kill himself if they lose...

Hope so