Melbourne Football

Round 7 | Adelaide Reds Vs. Melbourne 'Arts | 5:30 Saturday 17/11/12 |

Jimmy

Predictable result.

The Brisbane game was another false dawn. Don't forget they had a goal disallowed from a fairly dubious decision, and were missing their no. 1 striker Berisha. Against Adelaide we were back to the same old crap.

Take off the rose-coloured spectacles. We have a mediocre squad, with several indifferent signings, and a number of players playing week after week way below their potential - in any other club they would have been dropped long ago. Add in the usual dose of brain-fades each game and a novice senior coach.

All reflected in our bottom-four position and in our membership numbers and home attendances.

We're also developing a cargo-cult mentality. Fred was going to be our saviour. Now it's Grella. That's a bullshit mentality. It's time for some changes and to give the fans some value for money.

• Like 1

Predictable result.

The Brisbane game was another false dawn. Don't forget they had a goal disallowed from a fairly dubious decision, and were missing their no. 1 striker Berisha. Against Adelaide we were back to the same old crap.

Take off the rose-coloured spectacles. We have a mediocre squad, with several indifferent signings, and a number of players playing week after week way below their potential - in any other club they would have been dropped long ago. Add in the usual dose of brain-fades each game and a novice senior coach.

All reflected in our bottom-four position and in our membership numbers and home attendances.

We're also developing a cargo-cult mentality. Fred was going to be our saviour. Now it's Grella. That's a bullshit mentality. It's time for some changes and to give the fans some value for money.

Predictable result.

One goal disallowed didnt make that game. We played very impressively.

Don't forget we have Grella, Fred, Germano, Vrankovic, Garrucio out and people like Hoffman playing. Plenty to go this season, can turn around. Until we have a full(ish) squad it's hard to judge.

This team will go nowhere with JA as coach. Not this season anyway until JA learns a few things.. This was predictable when they signed him and I was hoping he would prove me wrong, but so far this team has all the signs of an unorganised and under prepared team that lacks any philosophy that will get us playing in a consistent and functioning way, let alone get consistent results. Not to mention Hayden Foxe as assistant coach.. What can JA learn from Foxe or Foxe learn from JA? Nothing because they are as inexperienced as each other... One of them at least has to have SOME experience..

JA needs to change something next game. Seems like there are some untouchables in the team that I don't understand.. Colosimo, Dugandzic, Thompson, Hoffman and Marrone for starters.. I was thinking in preseason that Konyit was a better right back than Marrone and they didn't sign him... Konyit displayed the ability to the cross the ball at least.. Vrankovic needs to play and let him get experience. Like someone said, rather him make mistakes than Colosimo... And how does Williams sit on the bench when he has shown that he is at least capable of combining, shooting and taking on players?

So frustrated...

• Like 1

Remember when Gerhardt played poorly and everyone was calling for his head? Tadic wasn't doing much early, he scores two in two and everyone loves him. Now Colosimo has a bad game after a decent sized head wound very early on and now he's on the chopping block.

The same people calling for Shime's head will praise him and kiss his boots the next time he dominates a match.

Shime made the mistake today, sure, but the rest of the team was poor. Outside of the first 20-25 minutes we were barely there. When we're good, we're good. When we're bad, we're bad. Simple.

Colosimo does lots of good things every match, there's no doubt about that, but he also makes mistakes that are often crucial mistakes that cost us games, no sometimes but many times. There's no evidence that he can work them out of his game. If he had concussion he should have been subbed off, he wasn't si I presume that he was OK. The other problem is that he really struggles to play out from the back, yesterday was an extreme example of that but its a regular problem. He doesn't offer much of an organisational ability to the back line, look at the difference during the brief time that we had Madaschi.

Aloisi quite rightly complains about the lack of intensity and desire in the second half, one way to address that is to drop Colosimo for the next game. From a group psychology perspective the team is functioning as a dependent group, looking for a leader to save them, not accepting the responsibility themselves.

• Like 1

We have become the worst footballing side in the league this season, at least under JVS you knew we would play a style that was pleasing on the eye.

After all that was a main reason why I started supporting this club.

Now Victory with Ange at the helm not only get better results, but are playing ten times better football.

Club needs to sack either JA or Foxe, one or the other and bring in a coach who can teach a style of football! This is a joke!

Some of you are blind, it was inevitable Adelaide would control the match. How were we back to the same old crap? Adelaide a very good side, they are very good at home and Tadic would have had goals if he wasn't playing Adelaide, they defended fantastically tbf, but jesus, calm the fuck down, we had chances, wasn't like we were never in the game rofl.

• Like 3

We have become the worst footballing side in the league this season, at least under JVS you knew we would play a style that was pleasing on the eye.

After all that was a main reason why I started supporting this club.

Now Victory with Ange at the helm not only get better results, but are playing ten times better football.

Club needs to sack either JA or Foxe, one or the other and bring in a coach who can teach a style of football! This is a joke!

JVS might be a good manager but most of our football under him was pretty terrible. We've had the same issues all three seasons.

On paper we have as a good a team as any (apart from our CBs).

We also have a rookie coach and an overall system that is less than 3 years old.

I would like a bit of direction though. We're not as much of a 'ball playing' team as we were under JVS. We have a lot of older players too, we say we're not a marquee club but publically go after Beckham. We need to be working towards something like we were in the first 2 seasons if we are not getting results.

Nothing confirmed, but A LOT of formal intrest from Asia (inc. Gulf states) Could includea transfer fee, but his release clause deets arnt public.

understandable that there is interest from Asia, but this early in the season was a little worried that he wanted out because of some internal issue

Some of you are blind, it was inevitable Adelaide would control the match. How were we back to the same old crap? Adelaide a very good side, they are very good at home and Tadic would have had goals if he wasn't playing Adelaide, they defended fantastically tbf, but jesus, calm the fuck down, we had chances, wasn't like we were never in the game rofl.

this ffs. so many overreactions.

I think everybody here needs to calm the fuck down a little bit. Yes maybe we have been losing quite a few games this season but this doesn't mean that you have to start insulting the players, manger or club. If you want a change, be the change. Look at the Dynamo Moscow fans, they protested, they shot paintballs at players, and now they are getting back on track and destroying shit, but can someone please for the love god message the club and tell them to invest in defense. Cause Tadic and Garcia are doing great up front.

• Like 1

Not a pretty game to watch, but this is the way Kossie coaches AU. Players stting back and defending hard without really worrying if they win the ball, creating stop / start situations so there is no rhythm to the game, making the most of set pieces and only really giving licence to one or two player to attack with freedom (Vidosic / Jeronimo), and if things go to plan, as they did against Heart, you win from your one chance....from a cheap turnover (one of three I can remember from SC). Also, watching the ball across the grass, the pitch was (deliberalty) slow, to keep the pace out of the game. AU didnt even start with their best attacking winger / full back (Ramsay) on the park or with a recognised striker, which is a true mark of their style of play.

As most teams in the A-League (perhaps Brisbane are the exception) are not capable of efficently and consitantly setting up attacks that break through this type of game plan, AU have had success thus far this season. Some AU forum posters are saying that yesterday's game was the best they have looked this season. I think its great to win a few games ugly, but AU's style is not good for the game and hopefully teams will soon learn to defeat this game plan, and I really hope that Heart learn to do it sooner rather than later, or we will definetly lose more than we win this season.

With our game yesterday there were a number of issues that contributed to our loss.

I have said it before and I stand by it; SC and PG should not be our starting CBs. JA has tried to compensate for this pair's passing weaknesses by playing Hoff and Thomo in DM roles to provide options in playing the ball out, however, the reality is neither of these players are true DM and with both back we are then left short up front and sometimes exposed when they both push forward.

Vrankovic needs to come into the side so that we have a CB that can play the ball out from defence. Since the WSW game, JA has given PG some licence to go forward and he has improved his game remarkably and added value to the team as a result. As such, DV and PG should be our starting CBs.

I like Garcia as our attacking mifielder, but as good as he is, he cannot shoulder the load alone, which he has to do with Thompson and Hoff sitting as holding midfielders. To compensate for this, JA has brought Kalmar into the team on the left and when we are attacking, he moves inboard to support Garcia, but then we lose our width and Behich has to run the left side of the picth solo. On Hoff, he seems to be improving in his DM role, noticably since Grella has come into the team, but is still more of a forward player.

Germano or Grella must start as defensive midfielder and Fred, Garcia and Thomo (and even Kalmar and Hoffman at times) should be rotated through the AM positions.

Dissappointingly so far this season our right side of attack has been really poor, and although Marrone looks to be coming into some form, Duga is out of touch and down on confidence and would benefit from a spell in the Youth team / or coming off the bench. Golgol should be given a crack.

I think yesterday we pressed too much too early for extended periods and as the game progressed, with AU's tactis on a hot day on a slow pitch, with the structural formation issues detailed above, the guys ran out of puff.

As espoused by others on this forum, we also really need to be better with our set pieces ....teams like AU, PG, CCM win lots of their games through set pieces and we should at least try changing things up a little... we need a different kicker and the club should employee a part time or short term highly experinced set piece coach so we can improve. This IMO would be a good investment for the club.

I still feel positive about the season and don't think we are far off things clicking. People just need to remember that its early on and if we can improve in a few areas (and there are signs of improvement) we are capable of beating any team in this league on our day ... so provided we can make the finals, we will always be a chance.

• Like 3

JA strikes me as a coach who is scared to lose. That has dictated the recruitment of so many older players and the counter attacking style we generally play. Both of these things go against the stated philosophy of the club.

I would love JA to just go for it next game. Play PG as the DM and Garcia and Fred/Mate as the attacking Mids with a high line, Fred to be the play maker and Garcia to make deep runs into the box. That is assuming that Grela and Germano stil aren't fit.

The last 30 minutes this week were abominable. We couldn't even get the ball over the half way line with any control. We need a midfield that can keep the ball, even to conter attack effectively. Thommo is a bench player as he can cover many positions and the Hoff adds as much to the team as the Hoff.

For my money, what wouldn't hurt would be to have some on-field leadership. The type of captain that put's up their hand when the going gets tough, puts their foot on the ball and organises the lads on the pitch. Do we have such a person - can't see him. Not Colosimo, not Thompson and Fred just plays and runs around all day but for me he doesn't impose himself in a man-management way. I reckon we have talent but often we seem rudderless on the pitch. The guy that shows passion is Gerhardt.

According to "theage.com.au", Colosimo not Jeronimo was credited with Adelaide's goal. Glad to see his effort(s) rewarded with due credit.

Colosimo, diving to try to block the shot and make amends, had his agony compounded when Neumann's left-footer deflected from the defender's leg and into the net. The Argentine was initially awarded the goal, only for referees to decree it an own-goal after the match.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/a-league/blunder-a-heart-stopper-20121117-29j6i.html#ixzz2CZ69uiOI

In fairness, he has played well for most of the season but age seems to be catching up with him and his defensive errors such as those against Adelaide (this season and last) and that against CCM will cost us dearly in a 27 round season. We must be consistent.

this ffs. so many overreactions.

No, I dispute your assessment that fans are overreacting. Our position on the table (9th) after a quarter of the season has gone shows that we are quite justified in our concerns. And it's not only about the results, it's about the way the team is playing. Sure, we played well against Brisbane. In the first and final 30 minutes we played with a passion and intensity that we have rarely seen before. But this passion and intensity is not good enough just once in a while - it has to be every time. That's what I see as the no. 1 ingredient that other teams have but we do not have enough of. Both on the field and off it.

• Like 1

if we were continually getting beaten to the punch 2-0, 3-0 etc i'd be livid. but 1-0 losses to good teams (CCM, adelaide, WSW) and a loss against our real bogey team (perth) that's not the end of the world is it?

also, slightly OT... all players reach a point where they can't keep up anymore. their role becomes restricted and understand they will not play as frequently when a young centre back starts coming through. they pass on their wisdom and knowledge and eventually get asked by their manager to step aside or retire gracefully with a legacy to look back on.

and then there's simon colosimo. aloisi will keep playing him, and THIS greatly concerns me.

But this passion and intensity is not good enough just once in a while - it has to be every time. That's what I see as the no. 1 ingredient that other teams have but we do not have enough of. Both on the field and off it.

The ladder doesn't lie. We're second last with only the pathetic SFC below us. WSW today ground out a great result in Perth and Nux in Newcastle. Hopefully Jets come to Melbourne with their shit form and we regain some confidence.

I think that the A-League is perhaps one of the most difficult leagues to coach because you don't have the luxury of big budgets and large lists, there isn't generally the squad depth that you'd find in major leagues in Europe. This means that it's the small differences that make the difference on the pitch. We have a short term problem with first 11 injuries, that will hopefully come right by the time the season is 1/3 over, it seems to me that we are one quality CB short if we are not going to play Steven Gray, or 1 import short, however you want to look at it. Why we have so many injured players after such a long off-season is a different question. The big problem that we have always had as a club though is one of consistency - yes injuries play a part in this, but I think that a large part of it is psychological. There's something about the group dynamic that isn't right: the fragility in the team when we go down a goal; our near inability to win at home; the way we are muscled out of the game by physical sides. I don't know whether we use a sports psychologist or not but we need to.

The only saving grace is the fact taht we don't have a full squad back yet, only then can we truly gauge at how this team and JA will perform. I still think JA is the weak link, but with the players performing like they did in that second half they definitley hold some blame too.

It would be an overreaction if the team played half decent and tried creating chances, but they didn't, they showed incrediable ineptitude and total lack of skill which is why so many in here have ranted. I mean, Colossimo should've come off, simple as that, clearly down a man with him performing like that.

The good thing is, it's still fairly early, and the nature of the league means all teams will be close and fighting for at least that 6th spot.

Edited by United

No, I dispute your assessment that fans are overreacting. Our position on the table (9th) after a quarter of the season has gone shows that we are quite justified in our concerns. And it's not only about the results, it's about the way the team is playing. Sure, we played well against Brisbane. In the first and final 30 minutes we played with a passion and intensity that we have rarely seen before. But this passion and intensity is not good enough just once in a while - it has to be every time. That's what I see as the no. 1 ingredient that other teams have but we do not have enough of. Both on the field and off it.

Agreed.

I feel like we are in purgatory - Everybody dismissing each bad performance we have for different valid reasons and just expecting things will get better and suddenly click.

Whatever good excuses we have, we need things to click now or the season will be over...

Edited by cadete

Realistically, does anyone think we can win the league this year? I don't, and didn't before the season started either. However, I am pessimistic about all my teams, so I may be biased.

With a new, inexperienced coach etc I'm not sure we can have too high expectations.

I will be happy to make finals, and surprised if we make top 4.

Realistically, does anyone think we can win the league this year? I don't, and didn't before the season started either. However, I am pessimistic about all my teams, so I may be biased.

With a new, inexperienced coach etc I'm not sure we can have too high expectations.

That is all I want as well: For us to finnish top 4.

As I know that a Home Final could do so much for our club in terms of converting silent supporters into regulars.

I remember when living in Perth and seeing the Glory and then the Dockers get their first home finals, for both clubs it really was the launching pad towards creating a larger and more reliable supporter base.

The only saving grace is the fact taht we don't have a full squad back yet, only then can we truly gauge at how this team and JA will perform. I still think JA is the weak link, but with the players performing like they did in that second half they definitley hold some blame too.

It would be an overreaction if the team played half decent and tried creating chances, but they didn't, they showed incrediable ineptitude and total lack of skill which is why so many in here have ranted. I mean, Colossimo should've come off, simple as that, clearly down a man with him performing like that.

The good thing is, it's still fairly early, and the nature of the league means all teams will be close and fighting for at least that 6th spot.

The problem is that there were no defenders that could play CB on the bench. Why isn't Gray available for selection?

I'm feeling pretty pessimistic as well, but I really think the squad is good enough to challenge for the league.

My remaining hope lies in seeing Grella, Fred and Garcia all playing. Yeah, they're all a chance to pick up injuries and whatever, but when we get our best side on the park, we should be very strong. Right now, we're where we deserve to be, but I'm hoping we can pick up a couple of wins in the next two weeks, and then see some improvement from our best players playing.

I think we can all see why Colosimo was out of favour with John van 't Schip. Not only does Colosimo commit too many howlers in defence, like against Adelaide, he also gives away penalties, like earlier this season against Wellington, leaving us with 10 players, and was lucky not to give away a penalty in another game. In addition, when he gets the ball he dwells on it, then usually passes sideways or backwards, or lobs the ball high down the field straight to the opposition. The way Colosimo is playing he is not up to A League standard and is a liability for the team.