Melbourne Football

Sunday 28 October - 3:00pm - Melbourne v Mariners

Heart>Victory

Well that was disappointing.

For me the positives were few and minor:

-I like Williams taking freekicks more than Dugandzic. Even if his freekicks aren't perfectly placed at least they go to dangerous spots and make the defence worry.

-Dugandzic I thought was quite good in a more central role. I believe most of a very few dangerous looking plays came from Dugandzic, and his beautiful pass to Tadic for the miss of a striker very low on confidence was a ripper.

-Gerhardt is a really good physical defender and I'm a bit of a fan. Certainly like him much more than Colosimo because at least when he gets yellows it's because he's made an impact, unlike Colosimo's silly yellows or penalties he gives away.

There are obviously a few negatives, such as our habit of looking for that extra pass when our players need to take responsibility and shoot. I know we like to "walk it in", but at some point we have to pull the trigger and really get the opposition defence on their toes, because otherwise the pass will never be on because instead of worrying about the shot the defenders are blocking the other options.

Tadic I actually feel sorry for. I think he has the talent, but has major confidence issues and watching him today fluff up his big chance to not only score but stake a claim for the number one striker role I felt really sorry for him. I would like to see us persist with him, because i feel once his confidence gets up he will be alright. His touch actually seems alright, and i think he'll be smart enough to get in the right spots.

There is also still a bit of misunderstanding within the side. Garcia seems to have brighter ideas than his teammates, and every week he seems to play atleast 4-5 passes that if his teammate was aware of would actually be really dangerous. And also on the wings I'm not sure we combined that well, particularly Marrone with Williams.

• Like 3

Well that was disappointing.

Garcia seems to have brighter ideas than his teammates, and every week he seems to play at least 4-5 passes that if his teammate was aware of would actually be really dangerous.

The problem is that its too late to be teaching positioning and decision making to players at this level.

Deflating match. Our 4th 1-0 loss to Central Coast (and 3 of those 1-0 losses involved CCM scoring from a set piece). Suffering 3 injuries really didn't help us, especially coupled with the fact that minuscule HAL benches mean we couldn't have like for like replacements.

The first half was boring, but I was satisfied that we were keeping the ball. Now we just need to learn how to do something with it. Colosimo and Gerhardt don't pass out from the back well enough, and players like Marrone and Thompson both take too many touches and both dwell on the ball too long.

Once again, like last week (and arguably like much of last season), losing Fred was a real spanner in the works. We are significantly less able to build up plays without him.

The Mariners played as expected. Stubborn and defensive. It's really obnoxious to lose to an opponent that plays in that manner (who play like that time after time after time... like I said, our 4th 1-0 to CCM [and we've only played 7 games against them]). I'd rather lose to Brisbane 3-0 or 4-1.

Tadic needs to pull his socks up. He hasn't fought enough to be our starting striker, and the few times he's played he's looked lost. I'm starting to lose my patience with him. Maybe it's partially excusable given how few chances we've been creating lately, but he needs to give us more (I think there is a good player in there somewhere, but for whatever reason he hasn't shown quality).

Sadly, like last week, the one real positive was the starting debut of a young gun, this time Ben Garuccio. He kept running all game long and was overall one of our more lively players. He showed good touches and smart work with his feet as well.

Tough times for Aloisi. Especially if Fred, Macallister and Thompson stay injured, Aloisi will have to show a lot of smarts as a coach to prevent this season from going awry.

awful performance from the lads today bar one or two who played well, at times. no creativity on the ball and no one making any bright runs or finding space. CCM just flooded the middle with bodies to stop our midfield, should of been a simple look up and pass to the flanks but no, ball was recycled to Bolton and then hoofed cross field to give away procession. very frustrating to watch. Don't understand the agro directed at Tadic, the guy hasn't been given much of a chance thus far, although should have scored. give him time and it will come.

As for Fred, said it last week, take him out the back and put him, and us, out of his misery. Give Thommo the armband.

needs improving or its going to a battle of the wooden spoon for the Melbourne clubs

Garcia best on ground for us.

Mate was quite good after coming on.

Garrucio was also good, and he linked up well with Aziz, IMO.

Same old issues, though.

Get forward, but can't put the ball in the back of the net.

Tadic was very subpar.

Edited by Ellki

Melbourne Heart really need to do something about attendances... Or atleast look to play well especially at home.

Tits on a bull performance.

My eldest son was nagging to go home for most of the second half and whilst I hate to admit it, I was thinking about it myself. Very poor showing given the quality of players we have at our club.

It looks like the Perth heat took more out of the players than first thought. The excuses will have run out by next week though.

One of our worst home displays. Difficult to know where to start. The positives for me were Dugandzic coming on and making an impact in midfield. In fact I'd keep him there. Garuccio at least provided some new ideas on the wing. Unfortunately we'll now lose both he and Vrankovic to international duty. Vrankovic wasn't on for long, but I'd keep him there as well. Garcia was our best.

In summary we simply do not put enough pressure on the opposition and do not create enough chances to score goals. Our build-up is too slow. Gerhardt must be blind in his right eye - he did nothing all day except pass the ball back and across to Colosimo. Marrone was awful and is likewise blind in his right eye. He almost never feeds his winger, and invariably turns inside or backwards meaning we have no width down the right. I lost count of the number of times Thompson and Fred took one touch too many or turned into trouble. Once again, too many first touches are backwards and we were passing the ball backwards from inside the Mariners half. FFS we will never win matches playing this way.

Tadic fluffed the chance he had. Problem is there's no-one else.

The attendance said it all. There are no easy games in the league this season. We're second-last tonight, and much more of this sort of performance and we'll be propping up the table. Crunch time for Aloisi.

Where not far off playing some really good football. Our structures and tactics are better than with JVS and although it didn't work for the boys today, supporters need to keep the faith rather than carry on like the world is ending.

CCM are a hard team to break down and Arnie would have come to town happy for a draw.

The main problem at the moment is our midfield. We currently play with three attacking midfielders - we need to get Germano and now Grella on the pitch so that there is a true defensive midfielder in the mix.

We do this and we will carve up the league and Garcia will get back in the Socceroos.

The main problem at the moment is our midfield. We currently play with three attacking midfielders - we need to get Germano and now Grella on the pitch so that there is a true defensive midfielder in the mix.

We do this and we will carve up the league and Garcia will get back in the Socceroos.

Defensive midfield is what we signed Gerhardt for. With Vrankovic and Gray options at the back, why does JA (along with most managers - Holger) insist on playing players out of position?

• Like 1

Another home game, another long shit trip home. Only highlights were the big ranga winning the penalty shootout, and fashioning my ticket into a paper aeroplane that I managed to park in some dudes 'fro from a few metres away at Richmond Station.

Edited by mus-28
  • Like 2

Where not far off playing some really good football. Our structures and tactics are better than with JVS and although it didn't work for the boys today, supporters need to keep the faith rather than carry on like the world is ending.

CCM are a hard team to break down and Arnie would have come to town happy for a draw.

We also need to learn to defend corners and free kicks. This hasn't improved.

• Like 1

Not a great match- agree with comments re: Wilo- will be interesting to see what the rest of the season holds for him.

Rubbish attendance. Too many fair weather fans. As for the active, not enough. Just not enough. Hopefully everyone is watching Boy Cheerleaders on ABC2 right now. Heh.

what happened to fred coming off? and also any news on the macallister and thompson injuries?

after this game it's pretty obvious that Grella needs to come in, and so does Germano.

I'm willing to give Tadic a go up front, i have a feeling he has it in him to be good but he just needs to get his confidence up and start putting away some chances. Then again, we need to be creating more for him

• Like 1

can't believe people thought about/actually left before the end. fairweather indeed. pretty ordinary performance but stick it out eh?

(i think it might have been peter who mentioned earlier that the kids weren't feeling it - i guess that does present a difficult situation, my comments are directed more at individuals and groups of people rather than families)

Some flogs at the middle and back of the terrace not chanting :droy:, dont know whats so hard to understand, chant or move to the next bay over if you just want to be near the noise etc.

Security guard telling me he created the Melbourne Heart 'cheersquad' :droy: :droy: :droy:, never seen this bloke before in my life ffs. Almost as bad as the security guard who turns up every week in football boots with the delusion he will somnehow get a run if one of the teams is short of players or something :oops:

Mate Dugandzic playing in a more central role :clap: :clap: :clap:

Garuccio :clap: :clap: :clap:

Aziz and Garuccio linking up :clap: :clap: :clap:

Garcia :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 3

Forgot to add,

bloke in terrace with a commy tattoo :droy: :droy: :droy: :droy: :droy:, but him not taking his shirt off, when everyone around him was, because he is scared of what will happen when people see the tat :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Glad people understand left wing ideology will not be tolerated in yarraside :up:

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Keep dishing performances such as today and there is no hope in hell of increasing attendances and bringing on new members.

The club had their chance against Wellington to try and grab the 5-6 thousand extras that may have turned out for the VPL final.

We blew the chance to smash a depleted Wellington that day and whilst we got 6.5K today, we will be lucky to break the 5K against Brisbane if we cannot get the 3 points in West Sydney next week.

Same old same old.....surely we knew how CCM were going to play? We played into their hands...holding the ball in the defensive third, look for the impossible pass in midfield and then wait for CCM to attack.....counter attack bought the foul which led to the goal.

Mmm...

We're a disgrace, on field and off.

PULL YOUR FUCKING HEADS IN.

Credit to everyone who gave it their best shot today, and whilst we could pull out the same excuses we did last week for the shooking effort by Y-Side - there will be nowhere to hide if a big time improvement doesn't happen next home game*.

We were nudging on being one of the best terraces in the country mid-late last year, and it's all gone down south these last home games.

*sunday games are shite, due to it being hard for most to have any sort of a pregame..we've got a long stretch of friday/saturday home games now so make sure you get in and around the pub for pregame and get well and truly fired up before the game.

One other thing just came to mind, why did Dugandzic start on the bench?> Was it a fitness issue or otherwise?

I hope it was a fitness issue, as JA isnt exactly doing himself any favors by playing Williams ahead of Dugandzic given he hasn't been getting results since the derby.

One other thing just came to mind, why did Dugandzic start on the bench?> Was it a fitness issue or otherwise?

I hope it was a fitness issue, as JA isnt exactly doing himself any favors by playing Williams ahead of Dugandzic given he hasn't been getting results since the derby.

Dropped for playing shit in all three games. Was excellent today when he came on. Keep playing him as a no.10.

• Like 2

Didn't realise you were a closet MV fan, mate.

How is booing a disgraceful performance in anyway linked with being an MV fan? Oh right, yeah MV fans are the only club that boo a horrible performance. Stupid comment mate.

I give credit where credit is due & love the club, but when that is put on show, credit will not be paid, they need to know they need to improve & quick sharp, not good enough, playing on the counter at home & winning one in a dozen at home is not something to be applauded. I am embarrassed with what I've seen the past two home matches, not to mention the one in between.

Edited by DutchPride
  • Like 1

Just want to see the lads have a go a bit more. There was not much creativity today, not many risks being taken from either team, which explains how it was not entertaining.

Hopefully we can pull a win next week, although we need to start winning games at home more often.

• Like 1