Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

this is another taget game for the club, one which for certain resons will attract a crowd, we NEED to win this game so that we can attract more people.

We have blown 3 on previous occasions

1: the opening game of history vs mariners (I know hard to win and in hindsight probably got us less bandwagoners) But look what happened to wanderers

2: adelaide season 2, wednesday 3 pm, boiling hot, crao time for football, many usuals away and we get our biggest non derby turnout. Why? because we had won 6 straight away, imagine if that game was perfect time of day. But anyway we choked and got smashed 3-1, our season went downhill from there

3. Wellighton home season 3, following on from a strong win in the derby 10k showed up and we couldnt even beat a wellington youth team.

How many more chances does the club want come on, melbourne!

based on this history we are destined to lose or a dissapointing draw...

this is another taget game for the club, one which for certain resons will attract a crowd, we NEED to win this game so that we can attract more people.

We have blown 3 on previous occasions

1: the opening game of history vs mariners (I know hard to win and in hindsight probably got us less bandwagoners) But look what happened to wanderers

2: adelaide season 2, wednesday 3 pm, boiling hot, crao time for football, many usuals away and we get our biggest non derby turnout. Why? because we had won 6 straight away, imagine if that game was perfect time of day. But anyway we choked and got smashed 3-1, our season went downhill from there

3. Wellighton home season 3, following on from a strong win in the derby 10k showed up and we couldnt even beat a wellington youth team.

How many more chances does the club want come on, melbourne!

based on this history we are destined to lose or a dissapointing draw...

You used to be cool man...

Great attendance today, but what does teh figure of 14K tell us?

Is this the actual number of football fans who will turn up and watch a Marquee? or are there more who we can still interest into watching football?

As we always say winning will put bums on seats but i would have thought that this ADP game will be a tell tale signal of what a maximum crowd average can be currently if we convert a large number of give them a reason to join?

What is everyone else's thoughts on this? if they wernrt there today do they like football enough to commit as a member?

Lots of bandwagoners. Football fans but also Heart fans.

The stands were filled with Red and White, really good to see but why does it stop people from coming more often.

In the end, this crowd should be what we are targeting next year every home game. Except the derby of course.

Yes, ADP coming made a difference but a lot of our bandwagoners fans made an appearance in their red and white today.

I think the team did all they can to have these people come back again, and the Yarraside (despite still way too many statues) did the club proud and the bandwagoners hopefully will want to come more often.

Club could of had a really huge presence out there targeting people buying tickets from the gate to purchase memberships! I did like the flags being handed out.

All in all we are from Melbourne. Support is out there if the club want it and we as fans get off our arse and do something about it.

keep winning and they'll come. allow other clubs to sign on marquee players and Heart can stick to its budget of 2.6mil and beat the competitors (7.6mil Bling FC). all clubs will be fighting for marquee's given the new free to air season.

Heart should continue to play the Billy Beane role of A League (see today's Herald Sun David Davutovic article). Look for players with potential, fringe players not commanding the $$$ i.e. Golgol, Garcia, Vrankovic, Walker, Dugandzic, Behich, etc.

keep winning and they'll come. allow other clubs to sign on marquee players and Heart can stick to its budget of 2.6mil and beat the competitors (7.6mil Bling FC). all clubs will be fighting for marquee's given the new free to air season.

Heart should continue to play the Billy Beane role of A League (see today's Herald Sun David Davutovic article). Look for players with potential, fringe players not commanding the $$$ i.e. Golgol, Garcia, Vrankovic, Walker, Dugandzic, Behich, etc.

Link?

Firstly, FANTASTIC CROWD AND GAME YESTERDAY! It was a great effort by the team and to score two goals on the Yarraside end in front of a big Heart crowd was brilliant.

Secondly, we need to back this up in Wellington. I don't think they're a "bottom of the ladder" team at the moment and are going to be hard to beat, but the game is in Dunedin and if we perform well away JUST ONCE it'll help the crowd number in our next home game against Adelaide majorly.

Thirdly, the game against Adelaide is ON Labour Day Monday at 7:30pm - not sure what crowd to expect on a Monday night.

Fourthly, even if 5,000k from yesterday's game don't rock up to our next home game, I'll be happy with 8,750-9k to be honest! As long as it doesn't drop down to 5-6k again like it has in the past.

Our next home game is easily our worst time we have got all year

We Arnt going to get any extras playing on a long weekend Monday night

Should be on the Sunday night

Our next home game is easily our worst time we have got all year

We Arnt going to get any extras playing on a long weekend Monday night

Should be on the Sunday night

The only problem with having it on a Sunday night is a lot of people go away for a long weekend (last long weekend before easter, one of the last beach/river long weekends), therefore there would be less of a chance of randoms coming to the game.

I think this is a not bad time for the weekend, people will be in the city for Moomba anyway, so may stay... maybe. The earlier time start wouldve been good but I dont know if they could because doesnt moomba have fireworks on that evening thereby restricting access.

2012-2013:

Total attendance (No. of games): 73,333(10)

Average: 7,333

Change from 2011-12: +859

Highest two attendances:

Round 22 vs. SYD: 13,752

Round 2 vs. WEL: 10,907

Lowest two attendances:

Round 10 vs. PER: 4,505

Round 6 vs. BRI: 5,466

Average including home derby = 9,071

Edited by MaliMate
  • Like 4

Next years target.

Average around 12,000 at home. Excluding the derby.

Membership base: 12,000.

#Operation12k for 2013/14.

Lofty expectations but certainly not impossible.

It means turning another 5,500 new people into members and retaining ALL our current members. Plenty of ways to achieve this and the idea is to get started early.

Phase One: straight after the season, current memberships have the rollout to renew at a discounted rate before May 31st 2013.

Phase Two: One Melburnian & Heart App advertising and completion to bring people to the club as members. Condensed format of what I was trying to build this time helped with advertising from the club.

Phase Three: Planned advertisement as per normal. Try and lure new people to the club.

I think a dedicated plan, along these lines is needed. We could go into the normal period of advertising memberships with a healthy total already.

Get more members, that will increase consistent attendance.

Great plan but let's be honest, unless we sign a quality marque this will not happen. The proof was on the pudding yesterday. WSW have created a culture by signing a quality marque which In turn has resulted in big crowd and results on the field. We may have missed the boat. A lot of nuetural supporters watch it on tv and they said it looked great on TV. We will be back to the same attendances next home game. Yesterday did not feel a heart home game. It felt something different which is what I want to feel like every home game. I bought in two first timers and said they would come back again if we sign a quantity marque with the same atmosphere

The atmosphere yesterday was great. I said to my wife after the game it would be fantastic if we had that every week. The thing is though, if 5000 turned up to see ADP, why won't they turn up to watch the team that played his team off the park?

I am all in favour of a marquee who adds more to the club in player development and PR along with results, but as a professional club we should be drawing better crowds on average and that will happen as the standard of play improves across the board.

Yesterdays crowd and atmosphere along with accurate passing, crossing and quality finishing from the players gave me confidence that the A-League is heading in the right direction.

• Like 1

This is my first season to get into the A-league, i was your typical euro snob, and really lamented the A-league and it's efforst. But alas, i have decided to adopt it and stop trying to ignore it and perhaps play my part in trying to push football higher up the pecking order in this country.

There is no doubt, the standard has improved, it was a big detractor in the earlier seasons watching bufoons squander a 2m pass. I hated watching and feeling like i could do better. Now i actually notice professional standards, passing is crisp and accurate and chances aren't squandered as often (Gol Gol's efforts yesterday are still a head in your hands type moments) but i think at the very least, euro snobs can watch at least a half of a game these days.

I'm just a bit shattered the 2 Melbourne teams aren't more personalized, like representing certain areas, north and south east suburbs, but perhaps there was the fear of NSL ethnic days and segregation. But Brisbane and Gold Coast type scenario would've worked wonders in Victoria imo.

Anyway, i'm weering off a bit but it definitley was nice to picture having attendances of 10k+ on a weekly basis, if a marquee can achieve this then it's a no brainer really.

• Like 1

Yesterday was the best atmosphere and football outside the derbies. The extras I brought along aren't going to be regulars but they enjoyed themselves. So at least it left a good impression. The biggest shit was the over the top police presence that made us look like a police state. Completely unnecessary but just adds to the impression that football needs a lot of controlling.

The atmosphere yesterday was great. I said to my wife after the game it would be fantastic if we had that every week. The thing is though, if 5000 turned up to see ADP, why won't they turn up to watch the team that played his team off the park?

It's the 'big game' phenomenon. Happens everywhere. Whether it's a marquee player, a run of great results, a knock-out cup match, a do or die relegation match, or...the fans will turn up. It happens even for those awful exhibition matches against Euro teams.

We did ourselves a lot of good yesterday. Comprehensively beat a team with Del Piero, Emerton and Neill and three times our wages bill.

We won't achieve a regular 12,000 overnight. It's a gettable target though, and better to have a stretch target than something that's too easy.

If we keep on delivering at home the fans will come.

Yesterday shows the potential. I don't see why we couldn't be averaging around 10,000 or more if we were top two or three on the table.

Our non derby average will increase again this year, so things are going in the right direction.

I think the club has done a good job recently. Obviously ADP was the important ingredient yesterday, but the recent 'own the experience' and 'interactive' games created their own unique innovations that I think were quite successful too. (But on the other hand, could somebody please turn down the PA and tell the announcer to stop shouting constantly. And please don't ever again get anyone to do some stupid novelty dance that happens to be popular at the time.) But also importantly, don't stop putting resources into kid's clinics and the community side of things. Over time it will pay off.

I think we're beginning to see that when everything begins working together: great fan culture + on field success + club working closely with fans + innovative ideas + strong community focus, the club can really go places. A good marquee who can deliver on the field will help too.

• Like 1

But on the other hand, could somebody please turn down the PA and tell the announcer to stop shouting constantly. And please don't ever again get anyone to do some stupid novelty dance that happens to be popular at the time.

LOL, exactly what my wife said. She loved the game and even the drummers but the PA blowing out her eardrums was extreme.

I think 12k is a bit ambitious for a membership total for next year. Operation 10K is more achievable.

There's a phase 4 - Get a decent, genuine, crowd-pulling marquee!

If we got a Raul (most goals in all European tournaments) or Lampard (most goals in EPL by a midfielder) it would be incredible!!

The 3 game flexi i picked up from the tent last Sunday has the membership #11,493.So why not go for 12,000.

I would rather aim higher and see what we can achieve than down grade that. I think everyone has got to start believing there is people out there who will support this club.

In my opinion, 12,000 is not an unrelealistic target. I think we have had close to that number of members in our three years but people haven't renewed for whatever reason.

We have a long off season, but we should not waste it. To a lot of people Melbourne Heart is 365 days a year. So the club should continually work to not drop communication levels to nothing in the off season and holding events, functions, meetings, clinics etc with the current fan base.

The first step in achieving stretch targets like I have suggested is to renew every current member and as quick as possible. Offer a loyalty discount or something if we sign up before a certain date. Imagine by the end of May having 6,000 members for next season? Imagine the momentum that brings heading into when you would normally start advertising months later?

Also there are a lot of new initiatives the club can do to attract new members in the off season. The club just have to be willing. I have a thousand ideas you'd only need one to work to be successful. Marquee player is not one of them but I'm not against it.

There was so much red and white in the stand from my vantage point in the Yarraside. North end and wings full of it! We have a heap of bandwagoners support, but it is support.

Stop believing 12,000 is not achievable. Nothing is impossible.

• Like 1

I have high hopes of smashing the record just set last weekend.

A win next week v Wellington then a good showing at home to Adelaide.Could lead to a 15T + crowd when we play WSW at AAMI.

Being a Saturday 5.30 kick off and our last home game for the season,plus if they bring as many down for this as they did for the Victory.

I have high hopes of smashing the record just set last weekend.

A win next week v Wellington then a good showing at home to Adelaide.Could lead to a 15T + crowd when we play WSW at AAMI.

Being a Saturday 5.30 kick off and our last home game for the season,plus if they bring as many down for this as they did for the Victory.

Agree 4 points in the next 2 games and as a minimum their should be atleast 12k.

• jw1739 unpinned this topic