Melbourne Football

Squad 2019/2020

Harrison

10 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

Re signing Delbridge is a must! Depending if Jamo plays on next season or not the only positive is that we have Galloway who has shown what he is capable of. He isn't afraid to have a shot from long range either which is an added bonus.. 

Yeah Galloway readymade replacement...Delbridge, Windbichler and Good built a great partnership after Covid and our defence never looked better l. Look assured and never cut open 

11 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Like Sydney midfield in the final Retre, Brattan, Caceres. All ex city players as well. Sydney had Wilkinson, Redmayne, Retre, Brattan, Caceres and Zullo didn’t play 

If we don’t re-sign Delbo there might be a riot 

Ok, so let's drill a bit deeper into this..

Redmayne: Regular whipping boy who at times was quite awful in front of goal.

Wilkinson: City was a stop-gap for him and he was always going back to NSW.

Zullo: Really injury prone and didn't exactly set the world on fire with us. Came across as a bit petulant too.

Retre: Had numerous opportunity but always looked a 'meh' type of player for us. I described him at the time as too good for the youth team but not good enough for seniors. Watching him for Sydney, I don't actually see anything he offers above what our players do, except for lots of attempted trickery that sometimes costs them goals.

Caceres: Oh wow. For all his skill and technique, spent most of his time dribbling around in circles and offering next to nothing actually going forward. Had plenty of chances to cement a starting position with us but couldn't. It's this 'skill' that has the likes of Harper and Slater bamboozled, but in all honesty, only gets a start/game time for Sydney because Bumjocks is so unfit.

Brattan: Thought he was great for us but there was a time particularly early in his career with us that he was a whipping boy as well. I wouldv'e preferred to keep him but can see why he left.

So thee you have and let's be honest; if we actually kept any of the above (perhaps apart from Brattan), most of this forum would have rioted. Good luck to them for resurrecting their careers and achieving success, but i wouldn't have any of them back tbh.

• Like 1

Sydney have a handful of players that make the players above that @rass mentioned small cogs in the team that works. Le Fondre, Ninkovic, Grant, Wilkinson. Take Ninkovic away, for eg, and Brattan becomes the playmaker. We know what that looks like. None of the players above are much different to the players they were under us. I don't see any reason getting into too much introspection over it. What it does go to show is there are many average players that can be championship worthy provided they are a part of a well balanced and most importantly well coached team.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Sydney have a handful of players that make the players above that @rass mentioned small cogs in the team that works. Le Fondre, Ninkovic, Grant, Wilkinson. Take Ninkovic away, for eg, and Brattan becomes the playmaker. We know what that looks like. None of the players above are much different to the players they were under us. I don't see any reason getting into too much introspection over it. What it does go to show is there are many average players that can be championship worthy provided they are a part of a well balanced and most importantly well coached team.

What you say is absolutely right. So I conclude that a club such as Sydney is better at building a TEAM than we are. And so the cycle continues - players leave us because we are not successful as a team, and we are not successful as a team because players leave us....

Just now, jw1739 said:

What you say is absolutely right. So I conclude that a club such as Sydney is better at building a TEAM than we are. And so the cycle continues - players leave us because we are not successful as a team, and we are not successful as a team because players leave us....

I don't know the reason why players leave us. But there's probably some truth in what you say. Everyone wants to be a part of success. The rest comes down to club and team culture. 

On 02/09/2020 at 8:39 AM, rass said:

Ok, so let's drill a bit deeper into this..

Redmayne: Regular whipping boy who at times was quite awful in front of goal.

Wilkinson: City was a stop-gap for him and he was always going back to NSW.

Zullo: Really injury prone and didn't exactly set the world on fire with us. Came across as a bit petulant too.

Retre: Had numerous opportunity but always looked a 'meh' type of player for us. I described him at the time as too good for the youth team but not good enough for seniors. Watching him for Sydney, I don't actually see anything he offers above what our players do, except for lots of attempted trickery that sometimes costs them goals.

Caceres: Oh wow. For all his skill and technique, spent most of his time dribbling around in circles and offering next to nothing actually going forward. Had plenty of chances to cement a starting position with us but couldn't. It's this 'skill' that has the likes of Harper and Slater bamboozled, but in all honesty, only gets a start/game time for Sydney because Bumjocks is so unfit.

Brattan: Thought he was great for us but there was a time particularly early in his career with us that he was a whipping boy as well. I wouldv'e preferred to keep him but can see why he left.

So thee you have and let's be honest; if we actually kept any of the above (perhaps apart from Brattan), most of this forum would have rioted. Good luck to them for resurrecting their careers and achieving success, but i wouldn't have any of them back tbh.

My take:

Redmayne. Agree. Changing clubs transformed him as a player. Win for both parties. Be playing in NPL2 if he hadn’t left Melbourne.

Wilkinson. Agree. Salary cap too.
Zullo. After his run of bad injuries he was always going to take a while to find his feet again. I expected him to do well after he left us and he has. Salary cap may have been an issue too?

Retre. Disagree. Was disappointed to see him go, thought he’d do well In Sydney and he has.

Caceres. Hmmm. Felt he needed a change. Could see the talent but get the criticism. 

Brattan. Agree. In the end I think we won in the swap for Brillante though.

Anyway for mine success needs a good manager and a consistent decent squad, where you plug the holes rather than start again. Hopefully the “start again” era is behind us.

• jw1739 unpinned this topic