Melbourne Football

Squad 2019/2020

Harrison

Contracted: Birighitti, Bouzanis, Jamieson, Delbridge, Atkinson, Griffiths, Baccus, Najjarine, Berenguer, Maclaren, Najjar, Metcalfe, Iannucci, Genreau, Wales, Galloway

Rumoured to leave: Brattan, Schenkeveld

Rumoured to join: 

Edited by Harrison

5 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Out of contract: Schenkeveld, Good, Vidosic, Brattan, Wales

Unknown contract status: Metcalfe, Berenguer

Contracted: Birighitti, Bouzanis, Jamieson, Delbridge, Atkinson, Griffiths, Baccus, Najjarine, Genreau, Maclaren

--

Rumoured to leave: Atkinson, Brattan, Birighitti, Bouzanis, Schenkeveld

Rumoured to join: Scott Galloway

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/galekovic-retirement-heads-list-melbourne-city-fc-player-updates

Also says La Rocca and Delianov released.

9 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Real shame about Delianov. Had kinda forgotten that we have Genreau for next year, hopefully he and/or Metcalfe can make up part of our midfield next year.

Yeh it is. I think many would have liked to see him progress through our ranks.
In fairness i think its prob a decision he made months ago, and obv pre any thought of Euge retiring, but like Pieras you can't begrudge him trying to get more game time. Hopefully he comes back one day once he's a first choice.

15 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Out of contract: Schenkeveld, Good, Vidosic, Brattan, Wales

Unknown contract status: Metcalfe, Berenguer

Contracted: Birighitti, Bouzanis, Jamieson, Delbridge, Atkinson, Griffiths, Baccus, Najjarine, Genreau, Maclaren

--

Rumoured to leave: Atkinson, Brattan, Birighitti, Bouzanis, Schenkeveld

Rumoured to join: Scott Galloway

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/galekovic-retirement-heads-list-melbourne-city-fc-player-updates

Just reading again - it does say that a "large number of senior players and exciting youth prospects" have been retained for next season, which I interpret to say that there are no further releases, at least not yet.

Edited by jw1739

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Also says La Rocca and Delianov released.

I removed La Rocca from the OOC list. 

Just now, jw1739 said:

Just readin again - it does say that a "large number of senior players and exciting youth prospects" have been retained for next season, which I interpret to say that there are no further releases, at least not yet.

Yes that’ll be interesting. Hopefully we get some clarity on individual contracts and players. I’m keen to see players like Metcalfe announced as senior players on multi-year contracts but we might not get it. 

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

Real shame about Delianov. Had kinda forgotten that we have Genreau for next year, hopefully he and/or Metcalfe can make up part of our midfield next year.

I like the idea of a brave new world where young players such as Metcalfe and Genreau are pivotal to our midfield. They are good enough, and Denis in particular will have benefited from a year in Europe. 

So that means we have 1 marquee now available with Ritchie going and 1 Visa with Harrison gone.

It may be unpopular but I would offer Bart a Marquee deal. We know what we are getting and he is a true on field leader you can build a side around. 

Exactly what we did with Bruno after his first season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So that means we have 1 marquee now available with Ritchie going and 1 Visa with Harrison gone.

It may be unpopular but I would offer Bart a Marquee deal. We know what we are getting and he is a true on field leader you can build a side around. 

Three foreign player spots available. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Offering Bart marquee is poor value for money when you consider the FFA will match dollar-for-dollar if we bring in someone with a much higher profile. No way they'll match it if we make Bart Marquee and that limits what we can bring in under the cap

Just need to do something similar to the way the Tards have managed to sneak Toivonen under the cap and get Honda.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bob Latchford said:

Offering Bart marquee is poor value for money when you consider the FFA will match dollar-for-dollar if we bring in someone with a much higher profile. No way they'll match it if we make Bart Marquee and that limits what we can bring in under the cap

Just need to do something similar to the way the Tards have managed to sneak Toivonen under the cap and get Honda.

Bart is gone and the club will make florin marquee

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Not a nerve but just shaking my head about the nonsense of making Flopperin our marquee player.

Don't worry we play Central Coast and Brisbane three times each during a season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I love the daily news and updates, somebody has woken up at the club! Disappointing to see that we have already wasted a visa spot on Berenguer for next season, I hope common sense prevails and it’s in the works to release him. 

With a large number of players confirmed, City’s focus over the coming weeks will be to resolve the remaining player movements and identify new targets with attacking players a key target.

So does this mean they already have a manager lined up? Hope so, if not this makes no sense.

And no Bart either...... Hmmmm

Edited by playmaker

3 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

I’d keep all 4 depending on wage demands 

wouldn’t give Bart Marquee due to wanting an attacking superstar number 10 Marquee 

I would prioritise them thus: Schenkeveld, Good, Brattan, Vidosic.

• Like 2

So we have confirmed locked in 15 from that release. 

Those 4 under discussion. That doesn't leave many spots available to fill.

It can looked at either way depending on your leaning, but for me they are a decent list and if are played with the right mindset might be a good squad. They major positive is we have for the first time maybe ever continuing with 75% plus players from the previous rather than the usual 50% turnover.

Obviously the kicker is the marquee visa situation which for every team ultimately decides their success. 

The updates from the club are finally bang on, and hopefully they continue. 

We've had this before and only lasted a few weeks maybe a month, it needs to be on going and consistent. I don't need to know every detail of what's going on but a general regular accurate update should be mandatory. 

Edited by Jovan
Because I wanted to.
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, playmaker said:

With a large number of players confirmed, City’s focus over the coming weeks will be to resolve the remaining player movements and identify new targets with attacking players a key target.

So does this mean they already have a manager lined up? Hope so, if not this makes no sense.

And no Bart either...... Hmmmm

I like the comment about attacking players being a priority. Bart of course is out of contract, but not announced as gone, so that's interesting in itself. 

And Birighitti listed as under contract when reportedly on the outer. So maybe things are changing with a new manager, or we can expect some of those contracted to move on... 

• jw1739 pinned this topic
  • jw1739 unpinned this topic