Melbourne Football

Melbourne City 2014 Pre Season

AlexDaGroza

Given that they were training at the Trinity Grammar School fields in Bulleen today, it looks like Jovan was right when he said in the MHFC Training Details thread that the "training will be split between Epping and trinity fields (bulleen)". Hopefully the second thing he said is right as well, that we'll only train at Epping and Bulleen "until La trobe upgrade is finished. Prior to Villa's arrival."

Gaurccio being called a "left-sided utility" in the video (in the scrolling text) is rather worrying, though. Surely we can acquire a serviceable LB under the salary cap for next season from somewhere? The only reason I can think of that might stop them doing so is that they don't think there are any good Australian LBs out there (which seems pretty true), and they don't want to use a Visa spot on a left-back (IMO we probably should use a Visa spot on a LB, because I think it's a real problem position).

Anyway, there's at least 5 signings to go, and I think that there's a pretty good chance that the team will be strengthened in defence, midfield and attack before round 1.

And kudos to the club releasing multiple videos in the first week. Hopefully a new leaf has been turned with the club's PR and communication, now that the club changes have been announced, as it would be nice to get the regular club media that Man City FC supporters seem to enjoy.

• Like 1

The whole media setup for Melbourne is being updated.. there will be lots of video content, twitter competitions and other stuff that apparently the old management never was interested in.

At least that´s how I take the Chris Neild (social media&digital content) complains that it´s all nightshift for him lately because of Melbourne :lol:

Edited by M13

While CFG is sometimes too tight lipped from the management side of things, over at MCFC (the english one) ,there is unparallelled access and content about the team and the day to day goings on at the club, I expect this to be replicated across the board, you can get an idea here

We've got a short daily news segment called CityToday (5-6 mins),seasonal specials, various other backroom and player content and interviews and a weekly mini documentary on the goings on during the week called InsideCity usually around 20mins plus in length to name a few features, I expect a lot of this to be produced for Melbourne as well. the Best Part: unlike other English clubs with their exclusive content, all this content is absolutely free to everyone.

You can get an idea here 

https://www.youtube.com/user/mcfcofficial

Isn't it funny how earlier this pre season and other pre seasons past there has had to be threads dedicated to investigating and finding out what is going on with the club. And now we are being given in depth video updates on training and regular posts on social networking to let us know what's up.

Big change in the PR department!

Whittlesea Ranges in talks with A-League club Melbourne City over pre-season friendly

Tim Michell

June 11, 2014

WHITTLESEA Ranges could become the first team to play against the A-League’s newest club Melbourne City.

Ranges secretary Sergio Costanzo told the Leader representatives from City had been in talks with the National Premier League 1 club about a friendly match, which could take place in the next two weeks.

“I know they’ve called my coach and asked if we can play a friendly game, which I’m pretty open to,” Costanzo said.

“Whatever exposure our players can get is good and it’s good for the area as well.”

Costanzo said the match could be confirmed by Friday, but it appears certain to be closed to the public as City ramps up its A-League preparation.

He said the bulk of City’s squad would be available for the match, but Spanish superstar David Villa would be contesting the World Cup.

Villa has signed with City’s sister club New York City in Major League Soccer but will spend the start of the A-League season in Melbourne.

“I think they’d have three-quarters of their full squad,” Costanzo said.

“The only ones missing would be their most high-profile players.

“It’s a pity the World Cup is on, otherwise we might have had David Villa there as well.”

Costanzo said he expected the A-League club would eventually be based in central Melbourne, but added it would want to maintain its ties with the northern suburbs.

“I couldn’t see them basing themselves fully out of anywhere other than in town,” he said.

“That’s what I’m thinking, but I think it’s helped their supporter base by being based out in the northern suburbs.”

The friendly would be a major boost for Ranges, which sits 13th in NPL1 after 11 rounds.

City announced earlier this week it had signed Republic or Ireland international and former Premier League winger Damien Duff for the 2014-15 season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north/whittlesea-ranges-in-talks-with-aleague-club-melbourne-city-over-preseason-friendly/story-fngnvocb-1226950559581

This journo of the above article on Twitter:

. #aleague club Melbourne City says it won't comment on fixture speculation as Whittlesea Ranges talks up pre-season friendly @nplvictoria

https://twitter.com/tim_michell/status/476561354803793921

Whittlesea Ranges in talks with A-League club Melbourne City over pre-season friendly

Tim Michell

June 11, 2014

WHITTLESEA Ranges could become the first team to play against the A-League’s newest club Melbourne City.

Ranges secretary Sergio Costanzo told the Leader representatives from City had been in talks with the National Premier League 1 club about a friendly match, which could take place in the next two weeks.

“I know they’ve called my coach and asked if we can play a friendly game, which I’m pretty open to,” Costanzo said.

“Whatever exposure our players can get is good and it’s good for the area as well.”

Costanzo said the match could be confirmed by Friday, but it appears certain to be closed to the public as City ramps up its A-League preparation.

He said the bulk of City’s squad would be available for the match, but Spanish superstar David Villa would be contesting the World Cup.

Villa has signed with City’s sister club New York City in Major League Soccer but will spend the start of the A-League season in Melbourne.

“I think they’d have three-quarters of their full squad,” Costanzo said.

“The only ones missing would be their most high-profile players.

“It’s a pity the World Cup is on, otherwise we might have had David Villa there as well.”

Costanzo said he expected the A-League club would eventually be based in central Melbourne, but added it would want to maintain its ties with the northern suburbs.

“I couldn’t see them basing themselves fully out of anywhere other than in town,” he said.

“That’s what I’m thinking, but I think it’s helped their supporter base by being based out in the northern suburbs.”

The friendly would be a major boost for Ranges, which sits 13th in NPL1 after 11 rounds.

City announced earlier this week it had signed Republic or Ireland international and former Premier League winger Damien Duff for the 2014-15 season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north/whittlesea-ranges-in-talks-with-aleague-club-melbourne-city-over-preseason-friendly/story-fngnvocb-1226950559581

This journo of the above article on Twitter:

. #aleague club Melbourne City says it won't comment on fixture speculation as Whittlesea Ranges talks up pre-season friendly @nplvictoria

https://twitter.com/tim_michell/status/476561354803793921

LOL at him ever thinking if the world cup wasn't on David Villa would be playing in the friendly 

• Like 1

'Costanzo said he expected the A-League club would eventually be based in central Melbourne, but added it would want to maintain its ties with the northern suburbs.'

Interesting about his thoughts about us mostly being based in central melbourne. Hopefully it will come true.

• Like 1

Anyother thing that the Youtube videos give you is a new of understanding of the characters/relationships of the players and staff. You'll see who are particularly close, who are the jokers, who gravitate towards the camera, who get along particularly well with the media staff, what the folk in the background are like (kit men, tea lady, security gaurds, etc) etc. You see that the club is more than just the first 11. 

At ManCity over the past few years we've seen Richards and Lescott become a genuine comedy act, seen that our photographer has a crush on Kolarov, watched the media staff grow in confidence, and seen someone like Lopes being treated like one of the first teamers by the rest, lots of very interesting things ...

And also you'll see City in the Community videos that are not just PR - they are genuinely benefiting the people of the area in a way that would not be understood unless you saw it on video.

Just wait and see. If you are not amazed then someone hasn't done a good job in transitioning what works in Manchester to Melbourne. 

When I hear the term "People's club" referring to some other clubs I wonder if they really know what it should mean. City get it.

• Like 1

I like how the players we have seen so far on video and social media are all up for this.. and talk about taking responsibility.
Don´t know if its because of the coaching or them simply relishing the moment but I´m all for it.