Melbourne Football

UEFA Champions League

Young Polak

Could it be the year of Zlatan?

I think there is a good chance that he will beat Barca given the history, too much ego on stake.

he's suspended for both legs isn't he?

Forgot about that, psg are fucked then

ridiculous ban, if anything oscar should of been carded for the challenge and zlatan gets 3 game ban, probly would of flopped anyway though

Bayern Munich have a huge list of injuries. 

I don't think anyone can stand in the way of a full strength Barcelona or Real Madrid at this point in time (both have the majority of their injured players back), aside from maybe Atletico. 

Porto is always a dark horse, hoping they can pull off some upsets. 

Edited by strider

• 2 weeks later...

No English teams left in Europe. Most overrated league on the planet. Only followed by flogs.

Seriously though, 13.5 coefficient for the season, the lowest any of Spain, Germany and Italy have achieved in the last 3 years. Could get overtaken by Germany this season on the coefficient rankings to drop down to 3rd. If not this year, they'll almost certainly drop below Germany next season. Over the last 3 seasons Italy have accumulated more coefficient points as well, England basically relying on shit from 4-5 seasons ago to stay above Italy in the rankings. How anyone can even think the EPL is closest to the best league in the world is beyond me. It's clearly 4th at best currently, and even then their best team cant even beat the best team from France, so maybe it's 5th at best :hmm:

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

If we see a Napoli vs Fiorentina Europe League final, and Juventus make it to the CL final, England and Italy will start next season on about the same points (when 2010-2011 points are removed). Which means if Italy do better than England in Europe again, England drop down to 3 CL places :clap: :clap: :clap:

TBH I reckon Juventus could surprise any of the teams left, through solid defence and then exposing the questionable defence of the other team. I would have said Bayern were the only one with a solid defence but Porto showed they have weaknesses in defence too.

I cant actually bring myself to go for Juventus to win the CL, but I wouldn't mind if they make the final and lose :up:

Edited by Tesla

Also anyone see the new seeding rules to be used in the CL http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/04/22/uefa-reveals-new-champions-league-seeding-system?cid=trending

Honestly what Platini has done with the CL is pretty much the only thing from his reign that I like, making it easier for champions from lower leagues to make it to the group stage at the expense of non-champions from other countries. Not sure about this one though, again it helps champions, but I feel accurate seedings are an important thing and potentially having someone like PSV as a first seed isn't accurate seeding. We'll see how it plays out.

If we see a Napoli vs Fiorentina Europe League final, and Juventus make it to the CL final, England and Italy will start next season on about the same points (when 2010-2011 points are removed). Which means if Italy do better than England in Europe again, England drop down to 3 CL places :clap: :clap: :clap:

TBH I reckon Juventus could surprise any of the teams left, through solid defence and then exposing the questionable defence of the other team. I would have said Bayern were the only one with a solid defence but Porto showed they have weaknesses in defence too.

I cant actually bring myself to go for Juventus to win the CL, but I wouldn't mind if they make the final and lose :up:

TBH Chelsea have carried England over the past few years and take them out of the equation and the English teams perform very poorly.

City in particular have been awful in Europe. About time there was a wake up call for the English teams anyway and this could hopefully be it.

Serie A back on the rise.

Early call but over the next 5 years Italian clubs with dominate CL again.

I reckon Roma will go far next season. But AC and Inter will need to get back in the UCL picture.

I think next season Inter will be in the top 3 in Serie A, and they'll continue to strengthen after that.

Edited by Tesla

• 3 weeks later...

Lol @ all the idiots who are surprised at Juve getting up. As much as I hate Juve scum, they were always winning the tie. Had money on them to win the first leg and money on them to qualify in the second leg, great odds both times.

It's all about attacking efficiency.

Will be harder against Barca but Juve very much in it. Will get on them again if the odds are good.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it was a great final.

Not decided until the 97th minute. I reckon if Juve snatched an equaliser, which they easily could have, they would have won it.

That Barcelona side is probably the best team we will see in our lives.

I thought it was a great final.

Not decided until the 97th minute. I reckon if Juve snatched an equaliser, which they easily could have, they would have won it.

That Barcelona side is probably the best team we will see in our lives.

You reckon Craig Foster was jerking all morning over Barca?

• 1 year later...

How great has it been the last few years since they rigged the draw to make it easy for league winners of smaller leagues to qualify rather than 3rd/4th teams in bigger leagues, almost one in each group.

Group G gonna be interesting, Club Brugge and even Kobenhavn aren't a joke, while Leicester looks shit this season (ez group for Porto TBH).

A lot of potential troll sides TBH, probably only Legia and Ludogorets that will get raped, but at home you wouldn't be surprised if they got something either.

On 26 August 2016 at 0:29 PM, Tesla said:

How great has it been the last few years since they rigged the draw to make it easy for league winners of smaller leagues to qualify rather than 3rd/4th teams in bigger leagues, almost one in each group.

Yet when FFA do it in the cup, all we get is whinging. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When arsenal get fucking fisted into the abyss 10-2 aggregate, but still charge £1,000 for a season ticket

and then you have bundeliga clubs charging roughly the same amount as a-league season tickets :droy:

Who the fuck is actually stupid enough to fork out that much money on english clubs that aren't even close to be on the same level as german or spanish clubs.

tottenham crashing out of the europa league by a Belgian club, fucking hell hahah :droy::droy::droy: