Melbourne Football

Season 23/24 - Round 6 -Newcastle vs Melbourne Sunday 3rd Dec - 5:00pm

IssySG

13 hours ago, n i k o said:

Take it as a momentum and confidence builder. Our last ACL game showed we are starting to look more like a team. Today again had a many signs of better cohesion. Can we continue to build on it and become stronger? Time will tell next game, but for now can't ask for much more from the team than what they did. Let's enjoy it I'd say. 

Hopefully, you are correct. Matt Leckie did say that our football would be ugly until Xmas, I hope that he's right too.

54 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Hopefully, you are correct. Matt Leckie did say that our football would be ugly until Xmas, I hope that he's right too.

What's he waiting for - the fairy godmother? I hope he's wrong and that it becomes beautiful immediately...

20 hours ago, jw1739 said:

What's he waiting for - the fairy godmother? I hope he's wrong and that it becomes beautiful immediately...

Vidmar referred to it in his aftermatch. They've had very few training sessions because they've been flying all over the place for games and only really had time to watch vids. Again we're off to Perth this time, crap scheduling by APL. Once they're able to train a bit together they shouldn't be so clunky. We've got a block of six games at home after Glory so that should help. Saying all that the two goals scored v Newcastle were from very good assists, especially Maclaren goal involving Jakolis, Arslan and then a simple tap in. Jakolis was actually very good both goals coming from him picking the pocket of defenders. I think Nabbout may find it hard to displace him now

54 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I think that there was some recognition that we were going to require a good shot stopper, at least in the early part of the season.

Agreed, there was. But really, has he come up to expectations and our needs overall? However, I guess from a salary cap point of view he has a contract and at the end of the season we move on.... GK errors are usually costly and these past two seasons they have cost us in the ACL.

12 hours ago, IssySG said:

From where I'm sitting, Youngs challenge has grounds for a contract termination. 

How so? Players can commit fouls and not have a contract terminated. And as far as fouls are concerned, the Jet's player was able to continue playing.

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think too many of us understood why he was signed in the first place so I would release him in January anyway. Play Beach.

Young has been a decent A-League keeper. But the slow back four would have any GK under the pump. Should Beach be played? Let's start with Cameo appearances first maybe the last 10 minutes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IssySG said:

Ever heard of manifesting?

Simply because he is a GK? If manifesting resulted in the termination of contracts then there would hardly be enough players to have a two team competition given the number of tactical fouls that occur every match. And in any case, the player can claim that has he was not red-carded due process was followed (albeit AFAIK this has not been tested in a court of law).

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Simply because he is a GK? If manifesting resulted in the termination of contracts then there would hardly be enough players to have a two team competition given the number of tactical fouls that occur every match. And in any case, the player can claim that has he was not red-carded due process was followed (albeit AFAIK this has not been tested in a court of law).

Mate, I was just joshing. I simply want Jamie Young out of my club, is that too much to ask? 😭

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IssySG said:

Mate, I was just joshing. I simply want Jamie Young out of my club, is that too much to ask? 😭

What rocks have you been smoking lately? He may have made some mistakes, but he's far from the worst keeper we've had. If we had a better back 4 in front of him he would hardly be getting noticed...

4 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

What rocks have you been smoking lately? He may have made some mistakes, but he's far from the worst keeper we've had. If we had a better back 4 in front of him he would hardly be getting noticed...

Give me a spell. He's fine, and that is the most generous description I could give him. He's long past his best, and I think you could make an argue for the last three seasons his decline has been pretty rapid. 

Like I've said on his forum before, while the club is going through a squad transition, I'd rather be putting this games into a young promising keeper i.e. Beach. Jamie Young might have been okay for a stop gap if we were in the hunt for trophies, but that clearly isn't the case. So my argument is really what's to be gained from playing him? He isn't saving us enough points to win anything, and when his contract is up, what then? Invest in young Australian goalkeepers - this club has done pretty well in the last half decade backing young Australian players and that for me was a point of pride.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Jamie Yoing tends to be good at the hard stuff n slip up on basic stuff. If our defence was performing better, then you eliminate nearly all situations in which Young fucks up and then you are left with him saving our asses with brilliant saves. That being said I acknowledge he is aging and hasd a very limited shelf life.

10 hours ago, IssySG said:

I was surprised he was offered a contract as I would have thought that City has enough young GK to develop. The only logic I can think of is that the club was aware of the geriatric nature of the back line and therefore they needed more experience.

I don't think we've ever done really well in the GK Stakes except for Tommy Sorensen's first season - 2015/16 - when we were first with two matches to go and lost the last two to finish fourth, and then at the beginning of the 2016/17 when we won the FFA Cup and then faded in the second half of the season and Bouzanis was preferred over Sorensen.

IMO he was the best GK we've ever had. The rest have been rather mediocre, and we've let so many promising youth GKs leave too.

• Like 4