Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Northern Fury, Weds 7 September, Townsville

Murfy1

Melbourne City flying north as part of new bond with Northern Fury

ROHAN O’NEIL

23 June, 2016

A LEAGUE giants Melbourne City are set to play a pre-season friendly in Townsville later this year as part of an exciting new partnership with the Northern Fury.

Melbourne City CEO Scott Munn spent the last two days inspecting the Fury’s facilities and chatting with club CEO Rabieh Krayem and both parties were excited at creating a new bond between their respective teams.

Fellow A League side the Wellington Phoenix will also head to Townsville here for a pre-season camp, with two fixtures featuring the Fury and the two top tier Australian clubs to take place at the Townsville Sports Reserve.

City will take on the Northern Fury in a game on Wednesday, September 7, before playing the Phoenix on Sunday, September 11, as the town secures pre-season A League games for the second time in the last three years.

Krayem was excited at what was ahead and said it would be a huge boost for the Fury to form a relationship with Melbourne City, who are under the same ownership as English Premier League heavyweights Manchester City.

“Our discussion with Scott is about a broader arrangement from the Fury’s perspective and how we can have a close relationship with City,” he said.

“What we’ve been talking about is sending some of our teams, particularly our junior teams, to go down to Melbourne next year and play some games with City and use their facilities.

“They have the best training facilities in the country and are owned by one of the biggest clubs in the world so hopefully this can build up to something more.

“Our ethos about junior development is about giving kids in North Queensland opportunities and anything can happen from there.”

The decision looks likely to be confirmed in the coming days and City CEO Munn said his club were committed to making the most of their trip north as well as offering continued support for the Fury.

“For us it’s part of our pre-season and we’re looking at a few options that will give us great weather and facilities to help make that time valuable for us,” he said.

“It will be two or three weeks out from the season as well so we’ll want to have some high intensity training and matches as well.

“Rabieh has taken me through what they are trying to develop in player pathways for young boys and girls in Townsville and we’d love to be able to support that.

“If we do come here it’s not just about coming here, playing a game and enjoying it, we want to be able to give something meaningful back to the work the Fury are doing with local footballers.”

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/melbourne-city-flying-north-as-part-of-new-bond-with-northern-fury/news-story/5767ad81bcd53233b052382c7d7277c4

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

everyone is replaced in the second half with Daniel Arzani, Paulo Retre, Ruon Tongyik, Gerrie Sylaidos, Denis Genreau, Brad Clarke, Braedyn Crowley, Connor Metcalfe, Yusuf Ahmed and Christian Cavallo

48' | GOAL! City! 0-3. Hometown hero Braedyn Crowley nets three minutes into the second half against his former club.

my god. this kid is gonna be a gun

Edited by jeffplz

Can we take anything from this match with so many changes at half-time? Not sure. But I'm getting the feeling that we're struggling to score against these NPL sides as readily as we might have expected with the players we've got. Or perhaps I'm over-anxious about the season ahead?

Edited by jw1739

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Can we take anything from this match with so many changes at half-time? Not sure. But I'm getting the feeling that we're struggling to score against these NPL sides as readily as we might have expected with the players we've got. Or perhaps I'm over-anxious about the season ahead?

We scored 4 goals FFS

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Did Kuzi get any minutes? I can't see his name listed on Twitter.

Kuzi is in camp with the Young Socceroos, who are presently competing in the ASEAN Football Federation U19 Championship in Vietnam. Yaren Sozer is there also. They will both probably get some good game time because there is about 5 matches over 8 days.

More info here: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/ufuk-talay-appointed-as-young-socceroos-coach/1uc26vugrp4t31cbwgkz91jodt

• Like 2