Melbourne Football

Round 1 | Sydney FC V Melbourne City | Allianz Stadium | 7:30PM Saturday 10th of October 2015

Jimmy

Hughes also available.

I thought Trifiro put in a decent shift, he's no game changer but I think he held his own. Kisnorbo also had two vital clearances in the first and second half, thought he was poor otherwise.

serious? Trifiro is horrendous. At least Murdocca gave a defensive pressure. And Murdocca was shit.

• Like 1

Hughes also available.

I thought Trifiro put in a decent shift, he's no game changer but I think he held his own. Kisnorbo also had two vital clearances in the first and second half, thought he was poor otherwise.

Jason tried hard and did some Ok stuff but his team mates had to extract him from the poo about 8 times. Not a disaster if he plays occasionally, but if he starts every week we are in trouble.

• Like 3

Well it was a good point. We lost our way in the second half with our passing. Gave the ball away too many times, which in turn put them on the front foot in wrong positions for us. I am happy we stayed strong though. What I liked about Sorenson, was at a corner near the end where he was telling everyone to concentrate. That sort of leadership is invaluable.

What I couldn't understand if Zullo was fit enough for the bench why didn't we start him. Also if Richardson can play full back or centre half, why wasn't he on the bench.

Overall an okay start, onwards to the derby next week, when hopefully we will beat the tards.

• Like 1

Good result away to one of last season's grand finalists, and one of this season's likely contenders, with a handful of quality players unavailable.

Solid performance first half. Got a good goal, that came from solid defending, a fine assist from Fornaroli and an instinctive finish from Dekker. Also we produced good end-product in attack hitting the post, producing some good chances like the one that fell to Espindola and an attack that should have been a stonewall penalty for a foul on Koren.

The second half the performance wasn't great, perhaps in part because the team was shaken from conceding last in the first half, but the team impressively held on for a valuable away point. As Heart supporters know a game like this would have been a classic case where the opposition scores again and we walk away with nothing, so to manage a result away to Sydney is a good outcome.

So a good result to build on, and I'm keen to see how much this team can improve with a fully fit Aaron Mooy and our other quality players unavailable today getting onto the pitch.

• Like 2

Kisnorbo is as usual a shitcunt whenever the ball is anywhere but in the air. Just like last season teams allow him space to drive forward to the half way line knowing he can't hit the side of a barn with his passing. Paartalu seems to have hit his peak for City, may be the best we will see of him. Ben Williams is a dog cunt, Sydney deserved two yellows for our counter attacks plus a penalty yet gives us the first yellow. Fucking mutt. Clisby was his usual self, fucking shit.

Fornaroli, Deks, Koren and Sorenson were our best performers. Overall will definitely take a point with a depleted City side against a full strength Sydney side away. Very similar performance to last year first round, good first 30 minutes followed by lost possession and poor play. Seems the more things change the more they stay the same. Will remain relatively optimistic though seeing as our better players will hopefully make a difference. 

• Like 1

Niko it infuriated me how we kept giving the ball to Paddy to start out attacks. Surely this should be the job of the holding midfielder. Paddy is okay when he concentrates on defence and just gives the ball to someone who can pass the ball.

Problem is our holding midfielder isn't much better.

Yes true but you watch it again, teams are purposefully shutting down any passing options for him by arching their run and it leaves a big gap he has to move foreward into. Once he gets here the opposition shut down passing options again and he's fucked. He can't pass to save his life. This has been happening since early last season. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

A bit surprised at the positivity here, we were terrible for pretty much the entire 2nd half, very similar to previous seasons.  Hopefully we can put that down to missing players but jesus if we play like that we won't be getting far this season.

Positive because we drew with the previous finalist at home when we had so many first choice players unavailable and as Murph said, the remained positive and didn't crumble into anxiety and panic after conceding. Good signs.

Niko it infuriated me how we kept giving the ball to Paddy to start out attacks. Surely this should be the job of the holding midfielder. Paddy is okay when he concentrates on defence and just gives the ball to someone who can pass the ball.

Paddy's distribution has always been poor, this is why SFC allowed him to make those forward passes.

Edited by belaguttman

Yes true but you watch it again, teams are purposefully shutting down any passing options for him by arching their run and it leaves a big gap he has to move foreward into. Once he gets here the opposition shut down passing options again and he fucked. He can't pass to save his life. This has been happening since early last season. 

It'll be very interesting once Aaron Hughes is available to play. I've got a feeling that Hughes will compete with Kisnorbo to start, and I can see Kisnorbo getting dropped for Hughes at some point (similar to Colosimo in this club's second season)

It'll be very interesting once Aaron Hughes is available to play. I've got a feeling that Hughes will compete with Kisnorbo to start, and I can see Kisnorbo getting dropped for Hughes at some point (similar to Colosimo in this club's second season)

I agree with most of what you say but not this. Kisnorbo is our 1st choice CB and a serious leader. Again tonight on many occasions he was in the right position clearing our line. 

I agree with most of what you say but not this. Kisnorbo is our 1st choice CB and a serious leader. Again tonight on many occasions he was in the right position clearing our line. 

If that's the case I just don't understand us resigning him, I never did. If he is the 'irreplaceable' centre back how could we sign a player that is so poor at playing the ball forward when our whole system is based on keeping the ball on the deck. 

Edited by n i k o

OK I'm saying and i don't care what anyone thinks.

Yes, we have many first 11 players out.  BUT we ALWAYS DO.  I seriously doubt they will all be fit at the same time.  So that does not wash.

What I saw was an exceptional keeper save JVS's bacon at least twice. 

I saw an inability to hold possession in the opposition half.  I saw a defense easily cut through and examples of blooper reel defending.  I saw a lack of movement off the ball, I saw players make poor decisions, I saw headers going anywhere but to our advantage.  I saw an inability to control the midfield.  I saw Ryan fucken Grant look like Robert Carlos in his Real Madrid days.

In short I saw the same JVS stamp on this club that has been a pox on us all from day 1.  

Fuck off JVS just fuck off.

• Like 3

I was pleased with that performance.

We were positive, always looking to play forward and happy to run at players. Good mentality from the team.

Really Bella?  The CB knocking it sideways to the FB;s or to the opposition.  The FB's knocking it back to Sorenson.  The wingers deep in their half knocking it back to the MF to the CB.

Its the same old same old.  Either Mooy pulls goals out of his arse or Sorenson rips a world class save.  JVS game plan.

Last year Villa saved us, this year Sorenson. Although plenty of time to improve its scary how similar last years performance was to tonights. 

You mean the last 6 years? Goddam it I hate the fact that JVS's DNA is all over this club.  How many players have we been though and its the same old same old.  Nothing will change until he goes.

• Like 1

Positive because we drew with the previous finalist at home when we had so many first choice players unavailable and as Murph said, the remained positive and didn't crumble into anxiety and panic after conceding. Good signs.

Fair enough, but tbh we've seen these excuses (away from home, strong opposition, injuries) for poor performances in the past and I don't think it's really acceptable.  I'll remain positive for now because I actually think our squad could be really good (when we get some of these guys back), but I'm not sure that'll be enough to be successful.  The similarities to previous seasons are worrying, we have to give them more than one game but that was a poor performance imo.

Mixed feelings on how we played. Thought sorensson looked at home in goals for his first game. Fornaroli was solid in his first outing would have liked to see him have a crack on goal though. Great, calm and collective finish from first gamer dekker which some players no matter how much effort you put in them (eg Williams) never learn. On the flip side I really can't handle watching clisby be positioned badly every time the opposition have the ball and turning it over with his passing. I'm out of excuses and patience for partaalu, his work ethic and defending is at all time low standard, his just not doing enough for the back four. It also seems korens form hasn't changed barring one nice pass which nearly resulted in a goal for espindola, the phantom was back. Anyway that is my taake from what I can remember for now.

• Like 1

Really Bella?  The CB knocking it sideways to the FB;s or to the opposition.  The FB's knocking it back to Sorenson.  The wingers deep in their half knocking it back to the MF to the CB.

Its the same old same old.  Either Mooy pulls goals out of his arse or Sorenson rips a world class save.  JVS game plan.

You mean the last 6 years? Goddam it I hate the fact that JVS's DNA is all over this club.  How many players have we been though and its the same old same old.  Nothing will change until he goes.

The difference in previous seasons is that we'd knock it around between the CBs, there'd be no movement up the field so nowhere to pass the ball, nobody would even move into position to create space, we'd try a long pass and lose the ball. Now we can slow the pace in possession at the back and then quickly pass forward to aa player who has moved into a good position to receive the ball. Its also the first time I've consistently seen us pass the ball into space for an oncoming player to collect at speed.

I'm not saying that it was a great performance, it wasn't. It was a promising performance but we need to build on this

Edited by belaguttman

If that's the case I just don't understand us resigning him, I never did. If he is the 'irreplaceable' centre back how could we sign a player that is so poor at playing the ball forward when our whole system is based on keeping the ball on the deck. 

What I read was that he (Kisnorbo) played sufficient matches last season to trigger a clause in his contract that meant he got another season with us. I'm sure Murf can find the article somewhere...

Edited by jw1739

The difference in previous seasons is that we'd knock it around between the CBs, there'd be no movement up the field so nowhere to pass the ball, nobody would even move into position to create space, we'd try a long pass and lose the ball. Now we can slow the pace in possession at the back and then quickly pass forward to aa player who has moved into a good position to receive the ball. Its also the first time I've consistently seen us pass the ball into space for an oncoming player to collect at speed.

I'm not saying that it was a great performance, it wasn't. It was a promising performance but we need to build on this

I didn't see any of that.  Most of our possession was in our own half. Until Mooy came on we frequently were unable to hold the ball in our attacking half. 

Also why is Fornaroli who looks about 5'5" is being forced to play like a tall ox Number 9 with his back to the goal trying to hold the ball up against a hulking CB breathing down his neck? The guy is a finisher.  Our number 10 and our wingers are supposed to be delivering pass on the ground he can run on to.  BTW I thought he was fantastic, and his first-touch assist pass gave Dekker the fraction of a second he needed to get the shot away- intelligent player.

Look, take away Sorenson's two world class saves, and we lose 3-1 and this forum would be in melt down.

It being Sydney, away with injuries (what so new?) papers over the serious deficiencies in JVS coaching that will be exposed on the score board later.

I didn't see any of that.  Most of our possession was in our own half. Until Mooy came on we frequently were unable to hold the ball in our attacking half. 

Also why is Fornaroli who looks about 5'5" is being forced to play like a tall ox Number 9 with his back to the goal trying to hold the ball up against a hulking CB breathing down his neck? The guy is a finisher.  Our number 10 and our wingers are supposed to be delivering pass on the ground he can run on to.  BTW I thought he was fantastic, and his first-touch assist pass gave Dekker the fraction of a second he needed to get the shot away- intelligent player.

Look, take away Sorenson's two world class saves, and we lose 3-1 and this forum would be in melt down.

It being Sydney, away with injuries (what so new?) papers over the serious deficiencies in JVS coaching that will be exposed on the score board later.

I would legitimately hate to be so wound up and bitter that I couldn't even bring myself to feel comfortably neutral about a draw, away to a team who will challenge for the plate, in the first game of the season, with half our team out and our best player a zombie with jet lag. 

• Like 2

First game into the season and some are already have an epileptic fit. Remember when Brisbane were immortal? They grinded out so many lucky draws. Big deal! It happens to every club, however, l would be concerned if l saw the same dispaly five games into the season. 

We didn't grind out anything.  They had the bulk of their play in our half, without Sorenson ripping two saves we could have easily lost.  The result papers over the performance. It might not be concerning given the injury situation and had we not seen it all before.  But we HAVE seen it all before even with more full complement of players to choose from.

I don't believe JVS has a switch he can flick when some players come back and all the same old problems disappear magically.

I would legitimately hate to be so wound up and bitter that I couldn't even bring myself to feel comfortably neutral about a draw, away to a team who will challenge for the plate, in the first game of the season, with half our team out and our best player a zombie with jet lag. 

I would pity anyone so FUCKING BLIND that he has NFI about he what he is watching and  is living in a delusional state.

The RESULT means NOTHING you pillock:

Look at the match stats:

81% of the game of the game was played in our own half

9 shots on target to 1

Their keeper did not need to make ONE save, ours made 8

Edited by Kiro Kompiro