Melbourne Football

AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL/SOCCER IN THE MEDIA

n i k o

Well D-day is coming for SBS soon and its coverage of football. The current federal government's tightening of the screws on SBS/ABC and FFA wanting to expand coverage of the game via mainstream media (read channels 7,9 or 10) and hopefully generate more revenue $$$$ could put an end to SBS coverage of the HAL. Looks like the SBS board want to cut ties with football in a drastic way.

Interesting times ahead.

"The spiritual home of football on Australian television, SBS, is in advanced plans to cut ties with the sport as part of a dramatic programming overhaul."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/sbs-planning-to-scrap-football-in-shock-programming-upheaval-20150319-1m28og.html

I'm apprehensive at the idea of one of the big tv channels buying the rights. It should be a great thing but we know how football has been represented poorly in the past. Hopefully this is the dawn of a new age with the success of the Aleague and all.

Edited by n i k o

I have no problem with channel 10 getting the rights. Channel 10 isn't 9 or 7, A-league rights are a big investment for them, they're a low budget channel. I'm sure they'll do their best to promote it and make it a success.

I have no problem with channel 10 getting the rights. Channel 10 isn't 9 or 7, A-league rights are a big investment for them, they're a low budget channel. I'm sure they'll do their best to promote it and make it a success.

Agreed. They putting investment into the smaller sports and making it work. There BBL coverage has been successful. The only thing I worry about is that if they do but the rights they put it on ONE and not the main channel. It won't work if it's done like that as has been shown with the NBL.

Agreed. They putting investment into the smaller sports and making it work. There BBL coverage has been successful. The only thing I worry about is that if they do but the rights they put it on ONE and not the main channel. It won't work if it's done like that as has been shown with the NBL.

Doubt they would, unless it's a massive failure, but I cant see that being the case. They dont have anything better and they have shit ratings so I cant see A-League rating worse than whatever else they have rights to.

I honestly think it would be massive for channel 10. It wouldn't take much for the A-League to go quite mainstream.

Edited by Tesla

I'm not convinced that showing A-League matches live is the way forward. The standard isn't high enough, and matches played in nearly empty stadiums don't add to what is often not a good spectacle. I lean towards a weekly highlights show, but with the focus on the football rather than the usual "talking heads" crap.

Totally against a commercial channel taking the rights for football. Then these AFL commentators that have no dirks about football commenting or hosting The Beautiful Game. Who will they bring as special guests? Warrick Capper, Ben Cousins or Brendan Fevola? Have AFL commercials when the ball goes out for a throw-in or corner?

Totally against a commercial channel taking the rights for football. Then these AFL commentators that have no dirks about football commenting or hosting The Beautiful Game. Who will they bring as special guests? Warrick Capper, Ben Cousins or Brendan Fevola? Have AFL commercials when the ball goes out for a throw-in or corner?

still can't be any worse than ned zelic 

You do realise channel 7 have successfully broadcasted more than 1 sport before?

They have hedaik but football isn't one of them that has been broadcast successfully. And some of the commentary on the main channels in the past have been extremely poor. If channel ten is to buy the rights then hopefully they bring in some of the known football faces to cover it.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

They have hedaik but football isn't one of them that has been broadcast successfully. And some of the commentary on the main channels in the past have been extremely poor. If channel ten is to buy the rights then hopefully they bring in some of the known football faces to cover it.

Both SBS and ABC (for the Asian Cup) are both pretty bad, just a lack of talent across the field.

Channel 10 will have just as much ability to run a good broadcast of the game as 7 or 9 do.

And what will the purists say when Channel 10 win the AFL rights which has a high chance of happening? 

Both SBS and ABC (for the Asian Cup) are both pretty bad, just a lack of talent across the field.

Channel 10 will have just as much ability to run a good broadcast of the game as 7 or 9 do.

And what will the purists say when Channel 10 win the AFL rights which has a high chance of happening?

Your entitled to your opinion. My opinion is the commentary whenever 'one off' games have been held on the big networks in the past has been nothing short of poor, bordering on disgraceful. And we mustn't forget the dark days of Channel 7 buying the rights of soccer. SBS and ABC, while not perfect, do provide the usual faces of football that are around the game 24/7 and understand the game much better.

I do beleive this will be a great thing for the game and hopefully a sign that football is a serious contender in the ratings. But this is all provided that whoever does buy the rights is fair and gives the sport its just deserve. If they do this then it won't matter if Channel 10 win the AFL rights, especially since both sports for 90% of their respective seasons are played separately.

• Like 1

You do realise channel 7 have successfully broadcasted more than 1 sport before?

Successful? You call highlights at 10pm and commercials mid-match successful? This is what Channel 7 did when it had the NSL. Sorry mate, but commercial channels for football no thanks! Maybe things will change but going by what happened, it was shocking!

• Like 1

Successful? You call highlights at 10pm and commercials mid-match successful? This is what Channel 7 did when it had the NSL. Sorry mate, but commercial channels for football no thanks! Maybe things will change but going by what happened, it was shocking!

Times have changed my friend, Channel 10 is showing the cricket which was unheard of before a few years ago, 9 and 10 shared the rights to the AFL and V8 Supercars have changed homes. Attitudes, management and cultures change over time and its time for the purists to do the same get the chip off their old shoulders. Sports like NBL are almost dying because of lack of FTA coverage, Australian soccer fans don't have the luxury to be so choosey.

Im sure the ALeague negotiators won't be as stupid as the NSL ones were either and not put a clause in the contract about broadcasting conditions. 

You do realise channel 7 have successfully broadcasted more than 1 sport before?Successful? You call highlights at 10pm and commercials mid-match successful? This is what Channel 7 did when it had the NSL. Sorry mate, but commercial channels for football no thanks! Maybe things will change but going by what happened, it was shocking!You do realise Fox Sports are commercial channels..... Edited by malloy
  • Like 2

You do realise channel 7 have successfully broadcasted more than 1 sport before?Successful? You call highlights at 10pm and commercials mid-match successful? This is what Channel 7 did when it had the NSL. Sorry mate, but commercial channels for football no thanks! Maybe things will change but going by what happened, it was shocking!You do realise Fox Sports are commercial channels.....

Cable with FOOTBALL people

You do realise channel 7 have successfully broadcasted more than 1 sport before?Successful? You call highlights at 10pm and commercials mid-match successful? This is what Channel 7 did when it had the NSL. Sorry mate, but commercial channels for football no thanks! Maybe things will change but going by what happened, it was shocking!You do realise Fox Sports are commercial channels..... Cable with FOOTBALL people

That doesn't in any way effect what I just said. Being cable/satellite makes it no less commercial neither does having 'football people'.

I have similar concerns that it might not get the coverage we want, however moving from SBS to one of the commercial FTA channels should increase the level of coverage as SBS still carries the stigma of being sub par (regardless of whether it is justifiable).

You do also realise that with an interest in the game the news coverage of the sport should also increase (on that particular channel) and you would think the negative stories might decrease a little.

Finally just because something was butchered by a channel over a decade ago does not mean that the same thing will occur now. Alot changes in a year let alone 11.

Times have changed my friend, Channel 10 is showing the cricket which was unheard of before a few years ago, 9 and 10 shared the rights to the AFL and V8 Supercars have changed homes. Attitudes, management and cultures change over time and its time for the purists to do the same get the chip off their old shoulders. Sports like NBL are almost dying because of lack of FTA coverage, Australian soccer fans don't have the luxury to be so choosey.

Im sure the ALeague negotiators won't be as stupid as the NSL ones were either and not put a clause in the contract about broadcasting conditions.

I agree that whatever deal the Aleague sets in place with a network it will be better than the NSL experience.

Speaking with the past in mind, one difference though between AFL, cricket, V8 and soccer is that they are all considered Australian sports except soccer. It's one of the reasons why the NSL really struggled when on Channel 7. That doesn't mean every football supporter is carrying a chip on their shoulder if they point this out, as it's just the way it was. But there is legitimate reason for being apprehensive due to the extremely poor track record the game has had with the major networks.

I think looking forward though it should be a fantastic thing and I'm all for it provided whoever buys it does the game justice and promotes it just as hard as every other sport.

• Like 1

I agree that whatever deal the Aleague sets in place with a network it will be better than the NSL experience.

Speaking with the past in mind, one difference though between AFL, cricket, V8 and soccer is that they are all considered Australian sports except soccer. It's one of the reasons why the NSL really struggled when on Channel 7. That doesn't mean every football supporter is carrying a chip on their shoulder if they point this out, as it's just the way it was. But there is legitimate reason for being apprehensive due to the extremely poor track record the game has had with the major networks.

I think looking forward though it should be a fantastic thing and I'm all for it provided whoever buys it does the game justice and promotes it just as hard as every other sport.

Channel 7 used to broadcast the yankee doodle NBL during their hey day which was well before the NSL/Ch7 deal. If it rates well and makes them money they'll show it, which is why they were happy to show Glory games in WA.

Edited by hedaik

Some ridiculous posts on here.

I'm sure some 'football people' would be brought in if a commercial FTA channel was broadcasting a game (or more) every week.

Also, as I've pointed out in my previous posts, if it is channel 10 that gets the rights then honestly I'm not very concerned at all. It will be the best thing on their poverty channel and they'll jump through hoops to make it as good as possible. Look what they've done for BBL, and if the A-League isnt a more marketable product than the BBL then we might as well just fold the league.

SBS has shit people btw, so cant be worse.

And Ned Zelic is great, football in this country needs more Ned Zelic TBH. And Lucy Zelic too.

Hopefully Og retires soon and becomes a full time media personality, the few cameos he has made while out injured etc have been better than 90% of current football media personalities.

Edited by Tesla

I'm not convinced that showing A-League matches live is the way forward. The standard isn't high enough, and matches played in nearly empty stadiums don't add to what is often not a good spectacle. I lean towards a weekly highlights show, but with the focus on the football rather than the usual "talking heads" crap.

Disagree, I enjoy watching the A-League more than any other league.

What it lacks in quality it more than makes up by being a fairly even league, and being fairly attacking, which leads to some close sea-sawing games.

Edited by Tesla

Some ridiculous posts on here.I'm sure some 'football people' would be brought in if a commercial FTA channel was broadcasting a game (or more) every week.Also, as I've pointed out in my previous posts, if it is channel 10 that gets the rights then honestly I'm not very concerned at all. It will be the best thing on their poverty channel and they'll jump through hoops to make it as good as possible. Look what they've done for BBL, and if the A-League isnt a more marketable product than the BBL then we might as well just fold the league.SBS has shit people btw, so cant be worse.And Ned Zelic is great, football in this country needs more Ned Zelic TBH. And Lucy Zelic too.Hopefully Og retires soon and becomes a full time media personality, the few cameos he has made while out injured etc have been better than 90% of current football media personalities.

The current 'people' part of SBS are superior to the people that have been used on the major networks in the past when broadcasting football. So that regards to the past.

Regarding the future I agree that it will most likely be done much better and 'football people' will be brought to the network. As you said, your not very concerned and neither am I but there is that little voice that is still wondering whether things will be done right by the sport. And as I said before, unless you are turning a blind eye, there is a legitimate reason for it.

Edited by n i k o

The backlash is a bit strange. Almost like we've become used to the league being non mainstream and when it does become so it isn't sitting right.

SBS have football people running the coverage now but the network doesn't care for it (presumably) and don't want to have to pay a premium for it. Didn't Les Murray, the best thing to happen to SBS for years call it a day anyway?

Would you rather poor coverage backed by 'experts' or perhaps better coverage by less knowledgable or less 'football people'. On that note, Tara Rushton was unheard of 2 years ago but has proved to be a fine presenter/host with a good knowledge of the game. I wonder how many people expected John Kosmina to be such a regular contributor talking football on TV (although he's previousy done print media). How many like these two exist in the wilderness because they couldn't get in at SBS or Fox?

Hedaik Malloy and Tesla making some excellent points. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

You do realise channel 7 have successfully broadcasted more than 1 sport before?Successful? You call highlights at 10pm and commercials mid-match successful? This is what Channel 7 did when it had the NSL. Sorry mate, but commercial channels for football no thanks! Maybe things will change but going by what happened, it was shocking!

Im sure the ALeague negotiators won't be as stupid as the NSL ones were either and not put a clause in the contract about broadcasting conditions.I agree that whatever deal the Aleague sets in place with a network it will be better than the NSL experience.

Channel 7 used to broadcast the yankee doodle NBL during their hey day which was well before the NSL/Ch7 deal. If it rates well and makes them money they'll show it, which is why they were happy to show Glory games in WA. IIRC, NBL was rarely live when I was a kid.

Edited by MaliMate

You do realise channel 7 have successfully broadcasted more than 1 sport before? Successful? You call highlights at 10pm and commercials mid-match successful? This is what Channel 7 did when it had the NSL. Sorry mate, but commercial channels for football no thanks! Maybe things will change but going by what happened, it was shocking!

Im sure the ALeague negotiators won't be as stupid as the NSL ones were either and not put a clause in the contract about broadcasting conditions. I agree that whatever deal the Aleague sets in place with a network it will be better than the NSL experience.

I think looking forward though it should be a fantastic thing and I'm all for it provided whoever buys it does the game justice and promotes it just as hard as every other sport. Channel 7 used to broadcast the yankee doodle NBL during their hey day which was well before the NSL/Ch7 deal. If it rates well and makes them money they'll show it, which is why they were happy to show Glory games in WA. IIRC, NBL was rarely live when I was a kid.

Must have been a WA thing, Wildcats always was. 

You do realise channel 7 have successfully broadcasted more than 1 sport before? Successful? You call highlights at 10pm and commercials mid-match successful? This is what Channel 7 did when it had the NSL. Sorry mate, but commercial channels for football no thanks! Maybe things will change but going by what happened, it was shocking!

Im sure the ALeague negotiators won't be as stupid as the NSL ones were either and not put a clause in the contract about broadcasting conditions. I agree that whatever deal the Aleague sets in place with a network it will be better than the NSL experience.

I think looking forward though it should be a fantastic thing and I'm all for it provided whoever buys it does the game justice and promotes it just as hard as every other sport. Channel 7 used to broadcast the yankee doodle NBL during their hey day which was well before the NSL/Ch7 deal. If it rates well and makes them money they'll show it, which is why they were happy to show Glory games in WA. IIRC, NBL was rarely live when I was a kid.

Must have been a WA thing, Wildcats always was. 

I would take your word over mine as I was like 4 years old at the time lol.

if commercial FTA get it, it will about "broadening the appeal" to grandmas with knitting to do on game day, but not too broad lest it become mainstream, best to keep it a bit of a "foreigners" game.

My bet is that we will get Micheal Bridges (knoice English accent) Craig Moore ( bonny Scottish accent) and I would not be surprised if they pinched Simon Hill and Craig Foster.  

There-4 voices not to foreign to offend, but clearly foreign nevertheless.

One other thing.

The Ten boss has repeatedly said it will be about ratings.

Those of us hoping they will continue showing in prime time if football doesn't rate are kidding themselves-and it won't rate unless the extra TV money is used to drastically improve the on field quality ( it won't as the PFA will see that its used to give the same local shit kickers pay rises)

So the contracts will stipulate that unless certain ratings KPI's are met by football, the station will reserve the right to bury it at some ungodly hour on their second or heaven forbid third channel, in between ads for the latest ladies gym machines, nutri-bullets and coffee makers.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro