Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

8 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Imagine if they made drugs legal but Sydney still closed down at 1. Lockout laws actually being debated shows just how far from anything like full legalisation in this nanny state we are.

Well we are obviously talking about something that isn't going to realistically happen any time soon. Though I can see legal recreational marijuana being a reality in the not too distant future.

1 minute ago, Tesla said:

Well we are obviously talking about something that isn't going to realistically happen any time soon. Though I can see legal recreational marijuana being a reality in the not too distant future.

Oh of course, I know it was speculating, and believe me I fully agree with all of it, I was merely commenting on how much of a nanny state Australia is and therefore how far off this would be. And I'm not sure about cannabis. Plenty of people pushing for it, but considering that medicinal use is only just going ahead now, I can still see it being a while off.

2 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Oh of course, I know it was speculating, and believe me I fully agree with all of it, I was merely commenting on how much of a nanny state Australia is and therefore how far off this would be. And I'm not sure about cannabis. Plenty of people pushing for it, but considering that medicinal use is only just going ahead now, I can still see it being a while off.

I'm confident once medical use begins then the issue will become when will it be legal for recreational use.

The thing is, there is no longer really any legitimate argument against it being legalised for recreational use, the evidence from places like colorado is too strong. It's only positives that will come from it. There seems to be a high level support amongst the public as well, and once we have legal medical marijuana those companies will lobby for legal recreational use. All these factors should see it eventually be legalised for recreational use, in that not too distant future.

Edited by Tesla

4 hours ago, Tesla said:

I'm glad that in this forum at least we are talking about it. And that overwhelmingly people are predisposed to the idea. Its the only way for these issue to become mainstream. I take umbrage from the fact the way gay marriage has gone from being way out on the fringes to a mainstream topic within a decade. The more we talk about it the better we can hone our arguments.

4 hours ago, Bannon said:

ice is fucked mate seriously don't legalize that shit, i have had mates die from the shit turn their life to shit and just be general fuckwits on the shit.

I know how bad ice can be - I've had to briefly look after a one year old whose parents are so fucked by ice that they were not feeding the child. The poor kid was so malnourished that he could not prop himself up let alone crawl or even attempt to walk. All the money was spent on ice. And the parent certainly know how to work the system because here were kids that should have been placed in foster care permanently but all this shit about how it harms children if they are away from their mother means that the kid would have probably died. This is why I have been thinking long and hard as to how to deal with the issue and came to the conclusion was to legalise it and have people use it in a controlled environment/manner.

• Like 1

People are going to get ice whether its legal or illegal if they want it that bad.

Why not make it legal where at the very least it can be regulated by the government?

I don't understand why on the news at least once a month the cops keep bragging about how they've made the "biggest capture of ice in Aus history worth more then x amount of dollars" and how this will put "a real dent into the ice trade" and yet the drug is still easily accessible as it was before. Just seems like as much as the government tries and fight it, it just isn't winning, and these police forces+ money could be used better elsewhere.

Edited by kingofhearts

Alright, quick poll.

How many on here have tried shard?

How many on here currently using shard? 

Your opinions are all valid and respected, I personally value accounts from people who have battled or currently battling a crack addiction a fair bit higher than those from people who form an opinion based on what they have read in the herald fucking sun.

I reiterate once again, education and awareness are vital to the topic. 

My simplified answer to should it be legalised? Fuck no. It's a parasitic scourge on our communities. 

Should addicts be treated like criminals? No. The addiction (crack,alcohol,heroin, ciggies) itself is a health, both mental and physical, issue.

Like boat people, the solution to the issue is not as clear cut as many people think. 

Just my 2 cents. And yes, as some of you are aware, and don't think I'm glamourising it one little bit, I enjoy having a puff as I have made the decision to put the shit into my body, I know what I'm going to get out of it and I quite frankly enjoy being able to fuck my mrs for hours, play PlayStation all night and then still go and smash a 10hr day at work. 

"and if you don't like it then fuck you"-Freddie foxxx aka bumpy knuckles aka that 6ft bald head nigga from new York.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

Alright, quick poll.

How many on here have tried shard?

How many on here currently using shard? 

Your opinions are all valid and respected, I personally value accounts from people who have battled or currently battling a crack addiction a fair bit higher than those from people who form an opinion based on what they have read in the herald fucking sun.

I reiterate once again, education and awareness are vital to the topic. 

My simplified answer to should it be legalised? Fuck no. It's a parasitic scourge on our communities. 

Should addicts be treated like criminals? No. The addiction (crack,alcohol,heroin, ciggies) itself is a health, both mental and physical, issue.

Like boat people, the solution to the issue is not as clear cut as many people think. 

Just my 2 cents. And yes, as some of you are aware, and don't think I'm glamourising it one little bit, I enjoy having a puff as I have made the decision to put the shit into my body, I know what I'm going to get out of it and I quite frankly enjoy being able to fuck my mrs for hours, play PlayStation all night and then still go and smash a 10hr day at work. 

"and if you don't like it then fuck you"-Freddie foxxx aka bumpy knuckles aka that 6ft bald head nigga from new York.

Is it actually important how 'bad' ice or any drug is though?

The way I see it, it's only important if legalisation is going to significantly increase consumption. If consumption isn't going to change, then it makes no difference how bad it is.

And if there is some increase in consumption, that has to be compared to the positives that would come from legalisation (which have been covered already by a number of posts ITT)

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

Unfortunately the "drugs are bad mkay" narrative is still the most prominent and it would be political suicide to go against this. Legalisation of marijuana will be a huge step but I fell decriminalisation of anything "harder" is the best we can hope for in the next 20 odd years.

also @sheepdog TTDIM; fucking on puff. 

(I should note I've only used it about 5-6 times in the past two years and not once in the past 6 months. After having a moment of clarity never intend to use it again)

Edited by thisphantomfortress
  • Like 1

Legalisation - No. Fuck that. I don't want no government made, watered down crap. I need that Asian made super meth.

Decriminalisation of drug use - Yes. Illegal to manufacture, possess and sell, but it's personal choice to use. Reminds me of the law re paint cans. You can buy and use them no worries, but it's illegal to carry them home on the train.

It sorta makes sense in my head.

The problem I have with "education campaigns" is that they don't work. Way back in the early to mid 80s there was a campaign to educate young teenagers not to drink alcohol - guess how that went. Recently we had the be careful around trams/trains campaign - how is that working out for you?

The only education campaign that worked was against AIDS also in the early 80s. but of course if you didn't pay attention then you would have contracted AIDS and died.

The more successful campaigns to modify behaviour in society have been those that had serious personal consequences. The one that has been running the longest has been against the road toll which began in 1970 when the death rate was about 50/100k people and now we are down to about 4/100k people. Laws were changed (the first person to be convicted for killing someone whilst pissed was in 1977 the next one was in 1986 IIRC), public awareness campaign became targeted and also some were brilliant as well.

Education campaigns should be part of the mix but should not be considered as an end in itself. Also education campaign should be targeted at those they are trying to influence, not to appease the sensibilities of white middle class trash that read the Herald-Sun or watch A Current Affairs.

• Like 1

"Education campaigns" for me are pretty much in the same category as "Today/This week is World/National Something-or-other Day/Week" days/weeks. There are just too many of them for me to notice any particular one. A bit like road signs, or safety warnings in the instructions for the latest gadget I've just bought.

Also, it's pretty hard to tell whether they work when a whole lot of other changes around the issue in question are being made at the same time. If the grim reaper/AIDS campaign was effective then, IMO, it was probably because at that time there really wasn't much you could do if you did get AIDS - it was a question of "when" rather than "if."

I fight fire with fire on social media. The word Cathlophobic exposes "islamaphobia" as the bullshit it is and when when SJW's mention that catholicism is mostly a european (therefore a "white") thing I mention Brazil and the 200 million brown people who follow it. They shit themselves. Too funny.

Also I'm making a habit of pulling people up when they call me a man or male. This is of course is highly offensive because I'm gender queer and don't identify either gender. Certain pronouns corner me making me feel pressured and oppressed by society. Works incredibly well if the idiot is brainwashed sufficiently.

Edited by HeartFc
dyslexia
  • Like 5

Meanwhile, in Indonesia a semi-government authority of Influential Muslim Clerics and indeed several Government Ministers believe all LGBT students who show affection on campus or engage in LGBT activities should be banned from attending University. Alongside these new modern ideas they have another great idea where they are pushing that all LGBT posts on Tumblr and indeed all LGBT emoji's in general should be banned.

But I guess me mentioning this makes me Islamophobic and Culturally insensitive... unlike if I attacked the real bad guys like the Modern Australian Catholic Church who will not give an LGBT person Communion if they attempt to receive it wearing a Rainbow Sash. (This is a far greater crime).

NOTE: And FWIW just a little unknown fact: Everybody's favorite Cardinal used to spend his own spare time giving Communion out at a Aids Shelter in Sydney every fortnight when he was still living in Australia.

Edited by cadete

6 minutes ago, cadete said:

Meanwhile, in Indonesia a semi-government authority of Influential Muslim Clerics and indeed several Government Ministers believe all LGBT students who show affection on campus or engage in LGBT activities should be banned from attending University. Alongside these new modern ideas they have another great idea where they are pushing that all LGBT posts on Tumblr and indeed all LGBT emoji's in general should be banned.

But I guess me mentioning this makes me Islamophobic and Culturally insensitive... unlike if I attacked the real bad guys like the Modern Australian Catholic Church who will not give an LGBT person Communion if they attempt to receive it wearing a Rainbow Sash. (This is a far greater crime).

NOTE: And FWIW just a little unknown fact: Everybody's favorite Cardinal used to spend his own spare time giving Communion out at a Aids Shelter in Sydney every fortnight when he was still living in Australia.

But det don't you know all religion is evil except Islamic refugees?!

1 hour ago, cadete said:

I'll bite.

The Australian citizen has little influence, if any, in any foreign country. They have much greater influence in Australia. Mentioning what the Indonesian clergy wants to do does not make you anything, after all, several newspapers have already mentioned it. Comparing the two doesn't make you anything other than to highlight that one is worse than the other. Anyone who says otherwise can be safely ignored as a moron.

Secondly. I don't understand why or how an LGBTI person can demand communion from an organisation that does not want them. To me it is like a Jew wanting to be a member of the Nazi Party or an African American wanting to be a member of the Ku Klux Klan. Furthermore, what with the sash? If they were genuine Christians they would know that pride is one of the mortal sins.

Thirdly - don't confuse the the laity with the clergy of any religion. My mother is a Catholic (I come from a long line of austere Catholics from both sides) yet she will vote for gay marriage when the plebiscite is held.

Fourthly - a good deed does not absolve a person from appearing in a Royal Commission or for that matter from any crime that they may have committed. IIRC about 15 years ago there was a little girl whose parents could not afford to send the to the USA for treatment. A good Samaritan came forward and provided $150k for her to receive the treatment but as it turned out he had sexually abused a child and off to jail he went.

49 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I'll bite.

The Australian citizen has little influence, if any, in any foreign country. They have much greater influence in Australia. Mentioning what the Indonesian clergy wants to do does not make you anything, after all, several newspapers have already mentioned it. Comparing the two doesn't make you anything other than to highlight that one is worse than the other. Anyone who says otherwise can be safely ignored as a moron.

Secondly. I don't understand why or how an LGBTI person can demand communion from an organisation that does not want them. To me it is like a Jew wanting to be a member of the Nazi Party or an African American wanting to be a member of the Ku Klux Klan. Furthermore, what with the sash? If they were genuine Christians they would know that pride is one of the mortal sins.

Thirdly - don't confuse the the laity with the clergy of any religion. My mother is a Catholic (I come from a long line of austere Catholics from both sides) yet she will vote for gay marriage when the plebiscite is held.

Fourthly - a good deed does not absolve a person from appearing in a Royal Commission or for that matter from any crime that they may have committed. IIRC about 15 years ago there was a little girl whose parents could not afford to send the to the USA for treatment. A good Samaritan came forward and provided $150k for her to receive the treatment but as it turned out he had sexually abused a child and off to jail he went.

It’s a pity you can’t take a bite into something you actually know much about…

You clearly know nothing about the about of practising Catholics who are LGBTI and who receive communion, it’s a completely different scenario to your crap about the Nazis and the KKK as we are talking about religion and not Politics. There are millions of LGBTI Catholics in the world and thousands of LGBTI Catholics in Australia who receive communion (I have two relatives who are indeed far more devout than I am).

The Philippines in particular is famous for its large amount of LGBTI people who are also practising Catholics and a good example for how the Catholic Church should change its doctrine on Homosexuality. I would have thought such stuff was common knowledge considering most people have heard of Oscar Wilde or the existence of Brideshead Revisited (Its a good book maybe you should give it a read.)

Also my point about comparison is that it’s a crime in today’s modern society for PPL to make any negative comment about how Islam including its stance on Homosexuality. Yet it’s perfectly acceptable for people such as yourself to mock the Catholic Church in regards to its “official” stance on Homosexuality despite its complete lack of severity in regards to how Homosexuality is treated in the majority of countries with Islamic based Governments.

Alongside this there are many Muslim Clerics who preach similar lines of arguments towards Homosexuality in Australia that are far more extreme than those preached by the Catholic Clergy.

And on your point about Pell performing bad deeds, please inform of what bad deeds that it has been proven that he performed as the Bishop? As it stands there are none that have come nowhere near close to having being proven at all.

Hence why when he has appeared at the Victorian Commission once and the Royal Commission twice in the past three years he has had to answer the exact same questions based on very loose evidence every time and each time these same questions have lead down dead ends that have just made the accusations put in front of him look weaker and weaker.

If this was not the case he would be bloody jail or going to Criminal Court.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, cadete said:

Hence why when he has appeared at the Victorian Commission once and the Royal Commission twice in the past three years he has had to answer the exact same questions based on very loose evidence every time and each time these same questions have lead down dead ends that have just made the accusations put in front of him look weaker and weaker.

Dead ends like the dead end the truck company employer took "some woman." TBH his biggest sin is his complete lack of social skills.

8 minutes ago, cadete said:

It’s a pity you can’t take a bite into something you actually know much about…

You clearly know nothing about the about of practising Catholics who are LGBTI and who receive communion, it’s a completely different scenario to your crap about the Nazis and the KKK as we are talking about religion and not Politics. There are millions of LGBTI Catholics in the world and thousands of LGBTI Catholics in Australia who receive communion (I have two relatives who are indeed far more devout than I am).

I am quite well aware that LGBTI people take communion - indeed my first Catechist teacher was/is gay and he instructed me for my first communion. Now for the record I am an atheist (the first one in the family) but not only I do not believe in a Deity but I don't believe in spirituality either. That puts me in a very small group of atheists as most do believe in spirituality. This is why I cannot comprehend as to why, given the current doctrine, LGBTI people would want to receive communion. It is also why I do not comprehend how you can be an atheist and believe in spirituality. I have to accept that spirituality exist only because it has been written about over several millennia by different civilisations. It is also the reason why I don't mock religion (as well as the fact that my mother would violently assault me).

The Philippines in particular is famous for its large amount of LGBTI people who are also practising Catholics and a good example for how the Catholic Church should change its doctrine on Homosexuality. I would have thought such stuff was common knowledge considering most people have heard of Oscar Wilde or the existence of Brideshead Revisited (Its a good book maybe you should give it a read.)

Cardinal Pell has made it very clear that he does not believe in changing doctrines to accommodate modern or regional sensibilities. Here is one example http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/george-pell-and-cardinals-warn-pope-of-catholic-church-collapse/news-story/bd5ef699ea8b384fd3d3dae7b0b933bc?nk=2ae3f94c0a894758dff092291ff816b6-1455841391

I probably should read serious fiction but I haven't read any serious fiction since high school - and that was enough to last me a lifetime.

Also my point about comparison is that it’s a crime in today’s modern society for PPL to make any negative comment about how Islam including its stance on Homosexuality. Yet it’s perfectly acceptable for people such as yourself to mock the Catholic Church in regards to its “official” stance on Homosexuality despite its complete lack of severity in regards to how Homosexuality is treated in the majority of countries with Islamic based Governments.

It is not a crime, a social faux pas in many circles but not a crime. I do not mock (certainly not intentionally) - I don't do mock very well, contempt yes, sarcasm yes and I reserve those for face to face conversations. I have gay friends and they do talk about the intolerance of Islam. I have friends who have worked in Saudi Arabia, Libya and Egypt and I have worked with Arabs - I know how intolerant the Arabs are. I have also worked with Indonesians and Malaysians and how much more tolerant they are. I certainly believe that what we are witnessing is that through the oil wealth of Saudi Arabia, the Saudis are promoting a cultural imperialism through Islam. This is the reason why countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore are experiencing an increase in religious violence as well as the rest of the world.

You will also find that Amnesty international, the US Congress committee on religious freedom and other organisations annually criticise the Islamic countries for their human rights records.

As for mocking the church, I also find it offensive the Sydney Mardi Gras floats mocking the Church.

Alongside this there are many Muslim Clerics who preach similar lines of arguments towards Homosexuality in Australia that are far more extreme than those preached by the Catholic Clergy.

Have never denied that. And I have no love for those pricks either. And incitement to commit a crime is a crime itself. And as far as those Islamic clergy are concerned they can move on elsewhere.

And on your point about Pell performing bad deeds, please inform of what bad deeds that it has been proven that he performed as the Bishop of Ballart? As it stands there are none that have come nowhere near close to having being proven at all.

If this was not the case he would be bloody jail or going to Criminal Court.

I have never said that Pell has committed any crimes. Merely pointed out that a RC can request anyone to attend as many times as they wish and quite often do. It is also not unusual for the RC to ask the same questions repeatedly. The RC can make interim recommendations and at its close a final set of recommendations. The RC cannot charge anyone but they can recommend to the DPP or Police to lay charges and provide supporting evidence to do so. Then the accused will face court and normal procedure takes place. Personally, I don't think that Pell has taken any decision that was any different from other Bishops around the world. What people make of that regarding child sexual abuse is up to them.

Actually Pell did make a very different decision to other Bishops around the world in as soon as he became Archbishop setting up Carelink to provide Compensation and Free Mental Health services to victims of Child Abuse that has been used as a template by many other organisations around the world who found themselves in a similar position to the Church.

When the Church denied this kind of shit and moved PPL around was under the supposedly-Progressive Archbishop Little... it took the realistic approach of Conservative Pell for the church to accept what had happened and try to assist victims. 

Also if the Media paid as much attention to specfic cases in a RC into abuse of children in Aboriginal Communities or even in the current (let alone the past) of the State System then the paper would run out of space to print about anything else.

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

TTIM: Tim Cahill, apart from the many times he saved Australia's ass on the field. Everything else about him is a massive TTIM.

"I can be open and honest because there is nothing to hide. The English window is shut, the A-League is shut, all the other windows are shut,” Cahill said.

“I’ve had phone calls from Japan, I’ve had phone calls from Korea and I’ve had phone calls from the Chinese Super League and even the second division.

“It’s overwhelming the next decision I make because you don’t realise, even at 36, the vast amounts of money that’s been given to me in China as a footballer and the effect that I can have on my super saver account playing in those teams.”

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

http://www.vice.com/read/a-neuroscientist-explains-how-he-found-out-meth-is-almost-identical-to-adderall

More the sort of education I had in mind@jw1739@NewConvert

Pretty much anything objective I have seen about Meth has the same sort of conclusion, that it really isn't anywhere near as 'bad' as all the media/political hype around it.

• Like 1

Just now, Tesla said:

Pretty much anything objective I have seen about Meth has the same sort of conclusion, that it really isn't anywhere near as 'bad' as all the media/political hype around it.

The demographic the media stories tend to target, in my subjective opinion, are teens who's brains arent fully developed and marginalised lower class people who are more suceptible to addiction ie this video 

The accountants, bankers and lawyers I know of that regularly use it but maintain high paying jobs tend to get ignored by the "meth-crisis" narrative.

On 20/2/2016 at 1:40 PM, sheepdog said:

http://www.vice.com/read/a-neuroscientist-explains-how-he-found-out-meth-is-almost-identical-to-adderall

More the sort of education I had in mind@jw1739@NewConvert

I get the video and it would be a very good foundation but the question is who is it educating? To me education has to be targeted at selected groups. This video could be used to educate politicians but given the reaction by News Ltd to the Greens policy (which does not advocate legalisation) I can't see them even wanting to view the video.

8 hours ago, Tesla said:

TTIM: Hip Hop thread being ruined by shit Aussie hip hop being constantly posted.

TTIM: The Betting Thread which once had the occasional good dialogue about Horse Racing being turned into a thread where PPL just posts about boring tedious Sport Multi's or Screenshots of PPL boasting about their winnings.

Actually I think I might stop complaining and create my first thread in years in that of a specific Horse Racing Thread

3 hours ago, cadete said:

TTIM: The Betting Thread which once had the occasional good dialogue about Horse Racing being turned into a thread where PPL just posts about boring tedious Sport Multi's or Screenshots of PPL boasting about their winnings.

Actually I think I might stop complaining and create my first thread in years in that of a specific Horse Racing Thread

FWIW there was nothing stopping 'good dialogue about horse racing', the other stuff took over because there wasn't much else being posted.

But having a separate thread is better anyway.

Edited by Tesla

On the previous discussion ITT about legalising recreational drugs, interesting stat from David Leyonhjelm in the senate today: "of the $1.5bn spent annually on drug law enforcement annually, 70% is attributable to canibus".

We can talk about the hypothetical legalisation of ice which will most likely never happen, but the first step would be legalised recreational marijuana use, and with stats like that plus the clear cut evidence from Colarado I honestly don't know what the debate even is any more. The only reasonable argument there seems to be is it might hurt the opium industry in Australia (apparently Tasmania produces half of the world's legal opium) because we would be in breach of international drug laws, but everyone knows international laws are bullshit anyway and that nothing would happen in reality.

• Like 3