Melbourne Football

Our Australian marquee man

n i k o

Josh Kennedy is the answer.

This season, so far, Kennedy has played 11 games (952 minutes) and scored 5 goals (and he also has provided at least 3 assists), averaging a goal every 190 minutes. 

That's on top of Kennedy's impressive scoring records over previous seasons, of course, such as last season (the 2013 season) where he played 27 games (2297 minutes) and scored 12 goals; 1 goal every 191 minutes.

Scott McDonald last season played 32 games (1880 minutes) and scored 3 goals. 1 goal every 626 minutes. And it seems his coach has moved McDonald further back in to midfield this season (either a second striker or no 10), and he's played 8 games (720 minutes) and has only got the 1 goal.

Nikita Rukavytsya played 19 games last season (712 minutes) and scored 2 goals; 1 goal every 356 minutes. And prior to that 2 goal effort at Frankfurt last season, Rukavytsya has only scored 1 goal since the 2010/2011 season, despite Rukavytsya playing 35 games for multiple clubs (1900 minutes). 

And Kennedy's club signed a new striker a few weeks ago, who looks like he'll be Kennedy's successor, so IMO barring a catastrophe Kennedy will be coming to Melbourne City. 

So:

2ez3ho2.jpg

• Like 6

Josh Kennedy is the answer.

This season, so far, Kennedy has played 11 games (952 minutes) and scored 5 goals (and he also has provided at least 3 assists), averaging a goal every 190 minutes. 

That's on top of Kennedy's impressive scoring records over previous seasons, of course, such as last season (the 2013 season) where he played 27 games (2297 minutes) and scored 12 goals; 1 goal every 191 minutes.

Scott McDonald last season played 32 games (1880 minutes) and scored 3 goals. 1 goal every 626 minutes. And it seems his coach has moved McDonald further back in to midfield this season (either a second striker or no 10), and he's played 8 games (720 minutes) and has only got the 1 goal.

Nikita Rukavytsya played 19 games last season (712 minutes) and scored 2 goals; 1 goal every 356 minutes. And prior to that 2 goal effort at Frankfurt last season, Rukavytsya has only scored 1 goal since the 2010/2011 season, despite Rukavytsya playing 35 games for multiple clubs (1900 minutes). 

And Kennedy's club signed a new striker a few weeks ago, who looks like he'll be Kennedy's successor, so IMO barring a catastrophe Kennedy will be coming to Melbourne City. 

So:

2ez3ho2.jpg

Can someone invent a button where I can like this 10 times over

• Like 1

I for one hope we sign Kennedy so everyone can see how terrible he is.

what other aussie's would you rather that would realistcaly come to the a-league

I wouldn't get an Aussie.You do realise the thread title malioldmate?

Sorry I meant as a forward id get a foreigner.

Get an overseas Aussie keeper. Front load his contract to make him marquee this season and be well under the cap for seasons after.

• Like 2

what other aussie's would you rather that would realistcaly come to the a-league I wouldn't get an Aussie. You do realise the thread title malioldmate?

Get an overseas Aussie keeper. Front load his contract to make him marquee this season and be well under the cap for seasons after.

Owe...

I like it, I like it, I like it.

Edited by [LIBBA]

what other aussie's would you rather that would realistcaly come to the a-league I wouldn't get an Aussie. You do realise the thread title malioldmate?

you are actuly a genius, somebody tell the club this

• 2 weeks later...

There's been some speculation that Tim Cahill is unsettled at New York Red Bulls, possibly owing to the fact that Cahill misses NYRB's games because he chooses to play for the Socceroos, and that he's played in all sorts of positions, and is routinely played as a defensive midfielder (for some strange reason).

After this MLS season (where the regular season ends around the last week of October, and the playoffs/finals end the first week of December), Cahill only has 1 year left on his contract.

Would Cahill be a good Australian marquee if he could terminate his contract early, perhaps after this MLS season finishes around December? Thoughts?

I reckon if Joshua Kennedy was a lock-in for Melbourne City's Australian marquee spot, we'd have heard a bit more about it than we have. So I reckon JVS was speaking honestly when he said "we keep an eye on all players, because that spot is still open" and "it's not done [/sorted out] yet". And it wouldn't surprise me at all if the club was slow to sign an Australian marquee because the club is weighing up signing a different player or two (or who knows, perhaps more) for the Australian marquee spot, players such as Kennedy and Cahill.

IMO, Cahill would be an excellent marquee for at least this season and next season. I think his age though (he turns 35 this December) might prevent him from being an excellent marquee for more than 2 seasons. Kennedy by comparison only turned 32 a few weeks ago, so he's arguably the better player to pick based on age. Nonetheless, I don't think it's a big deal, and think 2 or 3 quality seasons with either of these players would be plenty, as the club could always such sign a new quality marquee after either player were to finish playing with Melbourne City (a big advantage with the CFG ownership. With their resources there can always be quality new marquees after our current ones).   

Edited by Murfy1

There's been some speculation that Tim Cahill is unsettled at New York Red Bulls, possibly owing to the fact that Cahill misses NYRB's games because he chooses to play for the Socceroos, and that he's played in all sorts of positions, and is routinely played as a defensive midfielder (for some strange reason).

After this MLS season (where the regular season ends around the last week of October, and the playoffs/finals end the first week of December), Cahill only has 1 year left on his contract.

Would Cahill be a good Australian marquee if he could terminate his contract early, perhaps after this MLS season finishes around December? Thoughts?

I reckon if Joshua Kennedy was a lock-in for Melbourne City's Australian marquee spot, we'd have heard a bit more about it than we have. So I reckon JVS was speaking honestly when he said "we keep an eye on all players, because that spot is still open" and "it's not done [/sorted out] yet". And it wouldn't surprise me at all if the club was slow to sign an Australian marquee because the club is weighing up signing a different player or two (or who knows, perhaps more) for the Australian marquee spot, players such as Kennedy and Cahill.

IMO, Cahill would be an excellent marquee for at least this season and next season. I think his age though (he turns 35 this December) might prevent him from being an excellent marquee for more than 2 seasons. Kennedy by comparison only turned 32 a few weeks ago, so he's arguably the better player to pick based on age. Nonetheless, I don't think it's a big deal, and think 2 or 3 quality seasons with either of these players would be plenty, as the club could always such sign a new quality marquee after either player were to finish playing with Melbourne City (a big advantage with the CFG ownership. With their resources there can always be quality new marquees after our current ones).   

Every one of your posts is filled with such optimism! I love it! 

I honestly don't think anyone else on here would have considered Cahill a chance to come to the A League but when you post your usual essay on why it's a possibility, you can't help but have a little bit of hope. 

Keep the positive posts coming. Makes up for the extreme media silence we get from the CFG

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/mark-bresciano-says-he-isnt-thinking-about-retirement-and-aleague-could-tempt-him-home/story-e6frf4l3-1227088500259

Promising vibes about Bresciano coming back to the A-League, presumably next season. Of course, the 'most likely a Melbourne club' seems to just be the author's opinion, but hopefully we'd be a good chance of getting him.

The playmaker, speaking exclusively to Fox Sports News, says he’s enjoying his football too much at the moment to think about a finish line.

And in even better news for Australian football fans, he says the positive vibes coming from the A-League make a return home, most likely to a Melbourne club, very tempting.

Bresciano’s deal at Al-Gharafa hasn’t been extended yet and the midfielder admits the lure of home could be too tasty to refuse.

“Hearing the vibe (about the A-League), watching the games and getting all the positive feedback - it is tempting, yes,” Bresciano said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/mark-bresciano-says-he-isnt-thinking-about-retirement-and-aleague-could-tempt-him-home/story-e6frf4l3-1227088500259

Promising vibes about Bresciano coming back to the A-League, presumably next season. Of course, the 'most likely a Melbourne club' seems to just be the author's opinion, but hopefully we'd be a good chance of getting him.

The playmaker, speaking exclusively to Fox Sports News, says he’s enjoying his football too much at the moment to think about a finish line.

And in even better news for Australian football fans, he says the positive vibes coming from the A-League make a return home, most likely to a Melbourne club, very tempting.

Bresciano’s deal at Al-Gharafa hasn’t been extended yet and the midfielder admits the lure of home could be too tasty to refuse.

“Hearing the vibe (about the A-League), watching the games and getting all the positive feedback - it is tempting, yes,” Bresciano said.

Of course he would say that.  One more nice pay cheque.

Too old, too slow, needs to be managed with injuries.

TBH, don't want.  

• Like 1

Here's a transcript of the video interview from which that article was based:

Daniel Garb: ‘Bresciano is in the final year of his contract with Al-Gharafa here in Qatar. He’s yet to discuss fresh terms with the club and admits a return to his birthplace of Melbourne to play with either the victory or City is a very enticing prospect’.

Bresciano: ‘Just hearing the vibe and watching the games and getting all the positive feedback with what’s happening in the A-League, it is tempting yes’.

Daniel Garb: ‘That’s one more icon ready to finish off where he started. But before he lends his experience to the A-League, he’ll be doing so yet again for the Socceroos in his current hometown on Wednesday morning’.

You don't hear the actual question that Bresc was asked, but unless there was very misleading editing it does look like he was asked about returning to the A-League to play for a Melbourne club.

Betting markets (for what they're worth) have Melbourne City at $2.20 odds to be Bresc's 1st A-League club, whereas victory are 2.75 and the next club is Sydney at 10.00 (http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/soccer/australia/a-league-specials?LeftNav?CMP=SOM|SBT|TWITTER|ORGANIC|100).

My money's still firmly on Josh Kennedy being signed as the marquee (we need a striker, not another mid. And Kennedy will remain 32 until mid-August next year, whereas Bresc turns 35 in Feb).

But I reckon Bresc might be a possibility to sign for Melbourne City, perhaps inside the salary cap in the 2015/16 season (that is next season). There should be a new salary cap by then, which I'm tipping to have a significant increase, and I wouldn't put it past Melbourne City to do some more smart business with recruitment and to get Bresc to sign under the cap.

• Like 1

See this quote bothers me:

"Bresciano: ‘Just hearing the vibe and watching the games and getting all the positive feedback with what’s happening in the A-League, it is tempting yes’."

To me it comes a cross as "I'm this world star, playing on the other side of the world, other people tell me your league is ok, and I might just bless you all with my presence, if you play your cards right."

Villa can get away with saying that.  Bresciano?  Not so much.

C'mon.  The guy is on the tail end of his career, can barely last a half, has chronic injury issues and his crowd-drawing ability has faded.  This is a physically demanding league.  We don't need Fred Mark 2.

Publicity wise even bigger Socceroos like Kewell-the biggest-had minimal impact.

Before considering him we need to be clear what are our expectations, and what he brings to the table that others can't.

• Like 1

Here's a transcript of the video interview from which that article was based:

Daniel Garb: ‘Bresciano is in the final year of his contract with Al-Gharafa here in Qatar. He’s yet to discuss fresh terms with the club and admits a return to his birthplace of Melbourne to play with either the victory or City is a very enticing prospect’.

Bresciano: ‘Just hearing the vibe and watching the games and getting all the positive feedback with what’s happening in the A-League, it is tempting yes’.

Daniel Garb: ‘That’s one more icon ready to finish off where he started. But before he lends his experience to the A-League, he’ll be doing so yet again for the Socceroos in his current hometown on Wednesday morning’.

You don't hear the actual question that Bresc was asked, but unless there was very misleading editing it does look like he was asked about returning to the A-League to play for a Melbourne club.

Betting markets (for what they're worth) have Melbourne City at $2.20 odds to be Bresc's 1st A-League club, whereas victory are 2.75 and the next club is Sydney at 10.00 (http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/soccer/australia/a-league-specials?LeftNav?CMP=SOM|SBT|TWITTER|ORGANIC|100).

My money's still firmly on Josh Kennedy being signed as the marquee (we need a striker, not another mid. And Kennedy will remain 32 until mid-August next year, whereas Bresc turns 35 in Feb).

But I reckon Bresc might be a possibility to sign for Melbourne City, perhaps inside the salary cap in the 2015/16 season (that is next season). There should be a new salary cap by then, which I'm tipping to have a significant increase, and I wouldn't put it past Melbourne City to do some more smart business with recruitment and to get Bresc to sign under the cap.

Exactly what I was hoping for. Wouldn't want Bresciano instead of Kennedy (and I'm guessing it would be one or the other for 2014/15), but having both in 2015/16 would be sensational. Presumably got a bit more flexibility in the next offseason as well, as I assume practically all of the remaining players heading into 2015/16, would have had to be signings since the takeover (i.e. all dead wood should be cleared by then).

Will Duff play another year considering his age? I can see him coming to play for us only if Duff doesnt play on. Kennedy will more than likely be the aus marquee this year and next so i doubt we will bring bresch here as the aus marquee next year considering his age and injury list. 

anyone know when this has to be finalised by? when do the transfer windows open/close?

seems stupid that kennedy isn't even in the squad at nagoya grampus - if it's a done deal like it obviously is then they should just release his ass

more like nagoya krampus, amirite

Gruss_vom_Krampus.jpg

give us our marquee already, krampus.

Edited by hyperfuzz

Will Duff play another year considering his age? I can see him coming to play for us only if Duff doesnt play on. Kennedy will more than likely be the aus marquee this year and next so i doubt we will bring bresch here as the aus marquee next year considering his age and injury list. 

I'd say Duff will probably wanna finish up in Ireland so he'll probably only be with us for one season. Replacing Duff with Bresc under the salary cap next season is plausible, which means we'll be able to have Jesus as our Aus marquee.