Melbourne Football

Our Australian marquee man

n i k o

If Kennedy/Bresciano falls through, Troisi would probably be next on my hitlist!

He'll be at Russia 2018, I have no doubts about it.

Bresciano has already said he's not coming. He said at this point he's dedicated to completing the last year on his contract with Al Gharafa. Next season he may be a very fair chance of coming to the A League.

What this discussion confirms is that the Australian marquee ought to be removed.  There really is no-one who fits the bill, IMO.

Give each club a "marquee allowance", I dunno say up to $4-5 million outside the cap, to spend on up to 4 players, as the club sees fit.

ADP cost SFC $2 mill per season, AFTER TAX, plus Emerton, and you're nudging $4 mill there.

Imagine having 4 x $1 million dollar players per squad.  Suddenly the quality of the league rises exponentially, as do attendances and media interest plus sponsorship deals

• Like 1

I reckon, considering VISA allowances will be reduced to 4 spots next season, we should just have 4 "marquee" positions. Australian or international.

Would increase the quality of imports.

The snag is that if you have no limit on marquee spending dollars, it tends to undermine the purpose of the salary cap.

It can create a lob-sided league , and see clubs go under as well.

So I don't see the FFA basically setting up a system where 4 marquees could cost whatever the club is willing to spend.

I would however see them as more receptive if there was a reasonable "cap" on marquee spending, and the clubs been given the freedom of how they spend it, up to a maximum of 4 players.

I reckon, considering VISA allowances will be reduced to 4 spots next season, we should just have 4 "marquee" positions. Australian or international.

Would increase the quality of imports.

The snag is that if you have no limit on marquee spending dollars, it tends to undermine the purpose of the salary cap.

It can create a lob-sided league , and see clubs go under as well.

So I don't see the FFA basically setting up a system where 4 marquees could cost whatever the club is willing to spend.

I would however see them as more receptive if there was a reasonable "cap" on marquee spending, and the clubs been given the freedom of how they spend it, up to a maximum of 4 players.

Unlimited spending cannot occur under the present rules. Payments outside the salary cap - i.e. "marquee payments" have to be approved by FFA. It would actually be very simple for FFA to move to your proposal.

Out of interest, how important do you guys feel it is that your team has high-profile Aussies in it? I only ask as I was interested to see that on the NYCFC forum, many would have happily rejected a top international in their third DP slot in order to put a US national team player - including ones I'd barely heard of - in the team, because having one of the better domestic players is more important to them than, say, a Frank Lampard.

Out of interest, how important do you guys feel it is that your team has high-profile Aussies in it? I only ask as I was interested to see that on the NYCFC forum, many would have happily rejected a top international in their third DP slot in order to put a US national team player - including ones I'd barely heard of - in the team, because having one of the better domestic players is more important to them than, say, a Frank Lampard.

Personally i would rather have high profile, quality visa players such as the ones we've been linked to (villa, lampard, koren etc...), and in terms of australian players, to have the best young talent going around at the moment that are future socceroos or in the team already (Mooy, Mckay, Troisi, Paartalu, Spiranovic, Taggart, Garrucio, Mabil, Mauk etc...) 

Edited by heart_fan10

Returning high-profile Aussies have a tendency to underachieve in the A-League, although of course there are exceptions. 

I think with the current state of the national team (a rebuilding phase), there really aren't too many high-profile Australians remaining and naturally the league only seems to be able to attract fringe-Socceroos or players in the twilight of their respective careers. 

At the end of the day I just want the team to perform and be successful so whether that's through high profile players or young rising stars, I don't really mind at this stage.

Not important at all. I don't even care if we sign an Aussie marquee tbh, just sign players that will win us the league.

• Like 1

Not important at all. I don't even care if we sign an Aussie marquee tbh, just sign players that will win us the league.

Fuck oath, couldn't put it better

Paartalu staying in Thailand until the January Transfer window.

Newcastle Jets was forced to shelve its pursuit of Erik Paartalu until the January transfer window after the title-winning ex-Brisbane Roar midfielder opted to see out his contract with Thailand’s Muang Thong United 
The Jets were keen to snare Paartalu, 28, as their Australian marquee for the start of the A-League season but have not given up hope of signing him when his commitments are compete in the Thai Premier League.Paartalu's Sydney-based agent David O'Keefe confirmed that his client would remain in Thailand until his contract expires in mid December.

The rest here: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/07/31/newcastle-jets-pursuit-paartalu-hold

interesting that they wanted him for their aus marquee, personally I would only take him under the cap

We had David Williams as our marquee... It makes sense simply to free up money in the cap. 

Yeah, this is what I'm no getting. People are speaking about an Australian marquee like there's some 'You must be this good to be the AM' benchmark for the player. 'We don't need an Australian marquee', that sort of thing. We have an Australian marquee, already, like every other club in the league does.

The AM tag simply means which Australian player has the highest salary at your club. So if we sign an Australian player to a higher salary than Williams, he automatically becomes the Australian marquee (as far as I'm aware). If we don't, Williams is 'it' again.

interesting that they wanted him for their aus marquee, personally I would only take him under the cap

We had David Williams as our marquee... It makes sense simply to free up money in the cap. 

Yeah, this is what I'm no getting. People are speaking about an Australian marquee like there's some 'You must be this good to be the AM' benchmark for the player. 'We don't need an Australian marquee', that sort of thing. We have an Australian marquee, already, like every other club in the league does.

The AM tag simply means which Australian player has the highest salary at your club. So if we sign an Australian player to a higher salary than Williams, he automatically becomes the Australian marquee (as far as I'm aware). If we don't, Williams is 'it' again.

Not so. "Marquee" means paid wholly or partly outside the salary cap. If all your players are paid inside the cap then no player is a "marquee." Marquee players also have to be approved by FFA.  You cannot just name any old player as "marquee" as a device go outside the cap in total.

is williams really our australian marquee, or is it something the media just said because he's out highest paid australian player and labelling him as our "australian marquee' ?

Williams WAS our Aus marquee just so that his high wages were not counted in the Salary cap.  He wasn't and isn't a marquee in any other sense.

Yeah, thought it was confirmed ages ago that Williams was gonna be inside the cap, and not Australian Marquee?

Well, surely that means we are going to be signing another Australian to a higher salary, to take his place, doesn't it?

Why commit more money inside the cap than you need to? I wouldn't have thought the club would need to confirm, at this relatively early stage, whether Williams will be the AM or not and presumably there are other teams in the competition that are in the same position. They'd just nominate the highest-paid Australian, once the squad is finalised, a few weeks out from the start of the season.