Melbourne Football

New Active Support Group Discussion

Embee

The others have the following so I`m sure we can come up with something original

The Shed - Perth

The Cove - Sydney

The Den - Brisbane

Red Army - Inbred fc

Blue White Brigade - Scum fc

Red Black Bloc - Western Sydney

Yellow Fever - Wellington

Squadron - Newcastle

Yellow Army - Central Coast

Wow, I didn't know some of the names of other team's active supporter groups until this post.

All I'll say is, Inbred fc and CCM have shocking names. Seriously, Red Army and Yellow Army are names that a 5 year old would suggest if you asked him to come up with a name. 

My vote is Heartland but I don't mind in the end as long as it's not something as stupid as those names. 

• Like 1

Found this interesting: "The Melbourne tramway network is a major form of public transport in Melbourne, the capital city of the stateof Victoria, Australia. As of May 2014, the network consisted of 250 kilometres of track, 493 trams, 29 routes, and 1,763 tram stops.[3] It is the largest urban tramway network in the world..." [Wikipedia]

How does "The Tramway" sound for a name?

SFC have "The Cove" in reference of Sydney's iconic beaches, why can't we reference what is most iconic of Melbourne City?

'Yarraside' definitely represented "Melbourne", I think 'The Tramway' represents Melbourne just as well.

The Cove is where circular quay is, 

Sydney Cove is a small bay on the southern shore of Sydney Harbour, one of several harbours in Port Jackson, on the coast of New South WalesAustralia. Sydney Cove was called Warrane by the indigenous Cadigal people. 

But not that my view counts

Gosch’s Paddock Crew 

Supras1847

Supras47

SuprasMelbourne47 (SM47)

1847 Melbourne crew

SuprasMelbourne1847

Just a few ideas I'd thourght I would chuck in.

Supras btw is used alot in Europe meaning SUPporters and ultrAS, could bring everyone together if we are going towards a more of a southern/eastern European active support culture.

Lol no vested interest there with the Supras. Haha. I find it funny that the majority of those who identify as supras were saying they would be out if the colours changed, now they seem to want to be actively involved in active support.

All rather hilarious tbh, Anyway carry on.

• Like 3

South End Supporters (SES)

South End 1847 (SE47)

City Supporters 1847 (CS47)

South Stand Supporters/Squadron (SSS)

At the end of the day it has to be a name that a majority are happy to move forward with. Many seemed to like Heartland but it was quite evident at the meeting last night that there are a number of people who don't like that. Obviously it will be hard to please everyone 100% but we can give it a good go hey.

• Like 1

South End Supporters (SES)

South End 1847 (SE47)

City Supporters 1847 (CS47)

South Stand Supporters/Squadron (SSS)

At the end of the day it has to be a name that a majority are happy to move forward with. Many seemed to like Heartland but it was quite evident at the meeting last night that there are a number of people who don't like that. Obviously it will be hard to please everyone 100% but we can give it a good go hey.

Unfortunately I couldn't attend the meeting, I can understand the sediment people have the name Heart but I feel if a majority vote rules in favor of Heartlands then some people will just have to suck it up, I mean in the end like you said you can't satisfy everyone and there is still a lot of supporters trying to savoir heart in some kind of form and what better way than to have a core supporters represent that. Finally heartland supporters don't necessarily need to have reference to our past but as people know the heart is usually the core to all things passionate!

What do people think of 'The Wall' as a name for the terrace.

I think it fits the bill in several ways.

1) Obvious soccer reference, as in defensive wall

2) Symbolises unity and solidarity

3) Symbolises a 'wall of noise'

4) Reasonably suttle and not cringeworthy imo, in line with many other terraces

5) Easy to incorporate into chants/ base chants around. (I say this with absolutely no desire to be like RBB and sing about ourselves for 90 minutes but never the less their is always likely to be some referring to ourselves.)

6) Steers clear of Heart, City, Red or Blue and is inclusive of all supporters

7) Very marketable in terms of banners/flags/logos etc

Edited by bt50
  • Like 5

5) Easy to incorporate into chants/ base chants around. (I say this with absolutely no desire to be like RBB and sing about ourselves for 90 minutes but never the less their is always likely to be some referring to ourselves.)

Hrmm reminds me of Borussia Dortmond and their active support being called "The Yellow Wall".....I like it or "The Red Wall" would be nice but heck if it gets called The Wall I wouldnt mind it. That gets my vote as well @bt50

Too be honest I dont care what we get called so long as its not too tacky or baby like and something new but yet retains our origins as well!

Actually I quite like 'The Wall' too. Makes us sound strong and suggests that we'll be standing in the way of other teams trying to win games at AAMI and stealing our titles off us (when we win the league of course). 'If you want to win at our home ground, you not only have to deal with our strong team, but you must deal with 'The Wall' too. lol sounds cheesy when you say it like that but yeah anyway I like it. 

Also another suggestion would be something incorporating the word 'haze'. Just stealing that idea of Fremantle but when the Grand Final came around last year and all the talk was about the purple haze coming to Melbourne, I thought it sounded really cool. 

Not a fan of "the wall"

The Wall sounds like poop compared to Yarraside... come on peeps go forward not backwards

Suggestions is what will get us to that perfect name. If you dont suggest, then we cannot go forward.

Names can get altered, ideas pop into peoples head, suggested name will get mixed and twisted and then, bam. There is your perfect name.

Try suggesting :up:

• Like 1

Not a fan of "the wall"

The Wall sounds like poop compared to Yarraside... come on peeps go forward not backwards

Suggestions is what will get us to that perfect name. If you dont suggest, then we cannot go forward.

Names can get altered, ideas pop into peoples head, suggested name will get mixed and twisted and then, bam. There is your perfect name.

Try suggesting :up:

... dude scroll up and go through pages I've suggested lol

The Passengers (of the parked bus)

I like the reasoning behind it but I dont like names with The *something* if it could be tweaked so somehow get rid of 'the' I think it would be better

(yes I see the irony)

Edited by Dylan